PDA

View Full Version : OT: If Chris Webber is not a HOF player..

apalisoc_9
12-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Neither should Melo...

Riding Lebron's jock in the olmypics should not count.

100%duncan
12-26-2016, 10:04 PM
This year's class is pretty weak lol

DAF86
12-26-2016, 10:47 PM
Webber should be a Hall of famer, tbh.

Arcadian
12-26-2016, 10:49 PM

Came here to say this. He'll get in.

And so will Carmelo. You can't be one of the best scorers ever and not be a HOFer.

daslicer
12-26-2016, 10:49 PM
Webber made it to 5 all-star games. Factor in when he made it to the ASG that he made it during the golden era of PF's. He also has 3 all nba team appearances. His career average of 20-9-4 is very impressive. It's very close but I would have him in the HOF.

Spurtacular
12-26-2016, 11:00 PM
Based on current standards for HOF, I like CW as a HOF'er, honestly. Melo shouldn't be a HOF'er; but he will be b/c of all the jockers out there or the people that think a guy that scores 20 plus X seasons in a row should be in it.

apalisoc_9
12-26-2016, 11:46 PM

I'm not sure. Webber has missed out against some weak names.

Carmelo might get in because of USA basketball.

Arcadian
12-27-2016, 01:28 AM
For those who don't think Webber should get in the Hall, what are your reasons? Explain yourself. Don't say "no rings." The hall is meant to celebrate individual greatness. Webber is one of the best players ever not to ring. (And, as well all know, 2002 was bullshit anyway.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrG3337FLqQ

sook
12-27-2016, 01:56 AM
if that's the rationale for Melo, Mcgrady gets the nod too

Sean Cagney
12-27-2016, 02:00 AM
Webber is a HOF'er IMO.

Kawhitstorm
12-27-2016, 02:04 AM

And so will Carmelo. You can't be one of the best scorers ever and not be a HOFer.

Dominique wasn't a first ballot HOFer & he was better than Melo.:wakeup

Arcadian
12-27-2016, 02:06 AM
Dominique wasn't a first ballot HOFer & he was better than Melo.:wakeup

I'm not saying first ballot, just that he'll get in (or should).

Canyonero
12-27-2016, 10:59 AM
He could have rang if if hadn't been for the Lakrefs tbh

RsxPiimp
12-27-2016, 02:56 PM
man I hate how easy it is for players to get into the hof. webber, melo and their likes should not be a hof'er.

Chucho
12-27-2016, 03:54 PM
Webber is.
Melo is.
McGrady is.

If you dont think more5 All Star nods, ROY and part of one of the most memorable and marketable college teams of all time isnt a HOFer, you're an idiot. If a multi time scoring champ isnt a HOer, you're an idiot. If you don't think a dude who started 8 All Star Games and will finish with 10 or more and was multi time Gold Medalist isnt a HOFer, you're an idiot.

Chucho
12-27-2016, 03:55 PM
man I hate how easy it is for players to get into the hof. webber, melo and their likes should not be a hof'er.

I'd ask why, but it's easier to say you're an idiot.

resistanze
12-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Becuz RINGZ LOL!!!!!

StrengthAndHonor
12-27-2016, 04:28 PM
I was a huge fan of Webber during his tenure with the Kings but I don't think he's a Hall of Famer. He never finished higher than fourth in the MVP voting in his career. He had 1 All-NBA First team selection and he was plagued by injuries throughout his career (He sat out a total of 4 1/2 seasons worth of games) he didn't even crack the 20,000 points and 10,000 rebounds milestone and his career was mired with controversies.

The Fab 5 had a big impact on the court- but if you're suggesting he should be acknowledged in the HOF by bringing black socks and baggy shorts while overlooking the biggest choke in NCAA history then you need a reality check.

StrengthAndHonor
12-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Melo also has a weak NBA resume but as one dimensional as his game is, he's an automatic HOF'er (2nd ballot maybe) He's one of the best player in the Olympic stage.

Clipper Nation
12-27-2016, 07:06 PM
When Kobe gets in, they might as well induct every player who has ever been on an NBA roster. The standards will be lowered to the point of non-existence. It won't even be the Hall of Pretty Good anymore, it'll be the Hall of Slightly Better Than 40-Year-Olds Playing Pick-Up Games at the Y.

DMC
12-27-2016, 07:10 PM
The fact they do it every year means they must put someone in.

KobeOwnsDuncan
12-27-2016, 07:18 PM
When Kobe gets in, they might as well induct every player who has ever been on an NBA roster. The standards will be lowered to the point of non-existence. It won't even be the Hall of Pretty Good anymore, it'll be the Hall of Slightly Better Than 40-Year-Olds Playing Pick-Up Games at the Y.

Maybe if they ever have a HOF for third round virgins they could induct the entire Clipper franchise :lol

mavsfan1000
12-28-2016, 05:27 AM
Hall of shame. Lol

DMC
12-28-2016, 04:34 PM
I think when guys don't get in on their 1st try that should be it. You were considered and found lacking. It should have nothing to do with how many other people are up for it that year, HOF is HOF.

phxspurfan
12-28-2016, 11:51 PM
if that's the rationale for Melo, Mcgrady gets the nod too

T-Mac is first ballot. As is Vinsanity

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 01:23 PM
T-Mac is first ballot. As is Vinsanity

Vince has two All-NBA honors (never 1s team) & got passed up by DeFrozen as the best player in the Raptors history.:lol

TD 21
12-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Webber should definitely be a Hall of Famer.

Marion is the most interesting case of this era. Piled up various counting stats, has good advanced stats and won a championship as a starter, but only had 4 All-Star selections, 2 All-NBA selections and peaked as a consensus top 15 player.

If the standards were what they should be, he'd be a cut below, but given what they are, he's probably 50/50.

Vince has two All-NBA honors (never 1s team) & got passed up by DeFrozen as the best player in the Raptors history.:lol

:lmao DeRozan is not in the top three (Carter, Bosh, Lowry) players in Raptors franchise history.

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 06:58 PM
:lmao DeRozan is not in the top three (Carter, Bosh, Lowry) players in Raptors franchise history.

I'm talking about career not best player.:wakeup

TD 21
01-02-2017, 07:01 PM
I'm talking about career not best player.:wakeup

I know and so did I.

Arcadian
01-02-2017, 07:31 PM
I think when guys don't get in on their 1st try that should be it. You were considered and found lacking. It should have nothing to do with how many other people are up for it that year, HOF is HOF.
Isn't there a limit on how many people can be inducted each year? If that were the case, it would be unfair to have only one chance because some classes are stronger than others.

DMC
01-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Isn't there a limit on how many people can be inducted each year? If that were the case, it would be unfair to have only one chance because some classes are stronger than others.

What did I just say? "Should". The rules for HOF should be changed. If you have 10 all time greats retire at the same time, it's not right that some would have to go in on the 2nd try. It should be weighed against current HOFers.

There should also be "former HOF" meaning you can be booted, meaning there are only 100 or so players total and so many coaches and other roles. Eventually there's going to be so many that it won't mean anything.

When people like TMac and CWebb get in, you know there's really not a high standard, just chuck your way in. Neither of these are all time greats. By those standards Kenny Smith should be in for his work on TNT and the dunk contests.

Kawhitstorm
01-02-2017, 10:03 PM
I know and so did I.

Derozan is the leader or top 5 in every major statistical category besides blocks & 3 point shooting. Just like Lowry, he has been an all-star twice (missed out in '15 b/c of injury) & been player of the month twice. If we're talking about win-shares then Bosh blows away the competition & if we're talking about PEAK seasons then Vince is running away w/ it.

If you look their postseason career then there is nothing to write home about but Lowry has been the worst offender outside of the Heat series. Even when they made it to the ECF by default, it was DeFrozen that bailed them out in Gm 5 against the Pacers before finishing them off in Gm 7 & he also had a better series against the Cavs since he didn't have to deal w/ George/Winslow.

da_suns_fan
01-02-2017, 11:31 PM

True. And when Melo becomes one of the best scorers ever he can be in the hall of fame.

Arcadian
01-03-2017, 02:56 AM
What did I just say? "Should". The rules for HOF should be changed. If you have 10 all time greats retire at the same time, it's not right that some would have to go in on the 2nd try. It should be weighed against current HOFers.

There should also be "former HOF" meaning you can be booted, meaning there are only 100 or so players total and so many coaches and other roles. Eventually there's going to be so many that it won't mean anything.

When people like TMac and CWebb get in, you know there's really not a high standard, just chuck your way in. Neither of these are all time greats. By those standards Kenny Smith should be in for his work on TNT and the dunk contests.

I would think it's the proportion that matters, not the total number. The number of hall of famers continues to rise, but so does the total number of players in history. If you capped it at 100 (or any arbitrary value), the proportion would just keep diminishing. Every year would turn into a discussion about who should be removed from the hall to make room for a new entry.

It's not supposed to be a "Top 100 players of all time." It's just a way of recognizing the best players of their generation.

TD 21
01-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Derozan is the leader or top 5 in every major statistical category besides blocks & 3 point shooting. Just like Lowry, he has been an all-star twice (missed out in '15 b/c of injury) & been player of the month twice. If we're talking about win-shares then Bosh blows away the competition & if we're talking about PEAK seasons then Vince is running away w/ it.

If you look their postseason career then there is nothing to write home about but Lowry has been the worst offender outside of the Heat series. Even when they made it to the ECF by default, it was DeFrozen that bailed them out in Gm 5 against the Pacers before finishing them off in Gm 7 & he also had a better series against the Cavs since he didn't have to deal w/ George/Winslow.

I know, but that's because he's played the most games and minutes and taken the most shots. He was a 2 time All-Star thanks mostly to circumstance, like many others in the East this century.

I'll give him credit for being a legit All-Star this season. Even though he's as one dimensional as ever, he has combined improved efficiency with his volume scoring, but he's never been a top 15 player nor will he ever be. The other 3 all were/are as Raptors.

DMC
01-03-2017, 05:56 PM
I would think it's the proportion that matters, not the total number. The number of hall of famers continues to rise, but so does the total number of players in history. If you capped it at 100 (or any arbitrary value), the proportion would just keep diminishing. Every year would turn into a discussion about who should be removed from the hall to make room for a new entry.

It's not supposed to be a "Top 100 players of all time." It's just a way of recognizing the best players of their generation.

I disagree with the quota system. You get considered and either make it or you don't. If you cannot get in today when you are on the ballot, you should not go back on the ballot. Why does it matter how many they induct per year? Put 10 in sometimes, put zero in at others. That will send a message to the shitty era players.

Kawhitstorm
01-03-2017, 08:42 PM
I know, but that's because he's played the most games and minutes and taken the most shots.

Players who have the longest tenure & put up the numbers are usually considered the best player in their franchise even more so in the Raptors case since they never made it out of the 1st rd until DeFrozen carried 'em against the Pacers.

ambchang
01-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Players who have the longest tenure & put up the numbers are usually considered the best player in their franchise even more so in the Raptors case since they never made it out of the 1st rd until DeFrozen carried 'em against the Pacers.

Carter played against the Iversons in the second round.

Kawhitstorm
01-03-2017, 10:27 PM
Carter played against the Iversons in the second round.

I misremembered thought that was a 1st rd series since they lost to the Knicks the previous year. In any case, they never made it out of the 2nd rd until last season.

ambchang
01-03-2017, 10:33 PM
I dismembered thought that was a 1st rd series since they lost to the Knicks the previous year. In any case, they never made it out of the 2nd rd until last season.

Doesn't mean derozan is better.

Better team, worse competition, luck, matchups all plays a role.

Kawhitstorm
01-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Doesn't mean derozan is better.

Better team, worse competition, luck, matchups all plays a role.

Nobody in the Raptors organization is going to be factoring in those variants when DeFrozen jersey is retired in 2030.:lol

ambchang
01-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Nobody in the Raptors organization is going to be factoring in those variants when DeFrozen jersey is retired in 2030.:lol

How does that make him the best Raptor ever? Are the Raptors organization going to dedicate him one in 2030?

TD 21
01-04-2017, 06:01 PM

Out of respect by people in and around the team, but we're not, so we don't have to pretend. The other three were and are better players in their tenure.