PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Kyrie Irving ........ best point guard in the league

lebomb
12-27-2016, 10:50 AM
IMHO........ but Westbrook is right there. :claw

adidas11
12-27-2016, 11:38 AM
He's definitely top 5, if not top 3. And he's better than Steph Curry....which is the primary reason why Cleveland defeated the Warriors in the finals last year.

apalisoc_9
12-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Lots of dumb casuals popping up after christmas game....

HarlemHeat37
12-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Great 1 on 1 talent, but would be a cancer in any other setting, tbh..

Coming into Monday night, the Philadelphia 76ers and Brooklyn Nets were tied for the worst record in the league at 7-22, a paltry .241 winning percentage. Meanwhile, the Cleveland Cavaliers rested LeBron James for the second night of a back-to-back after he had played 40 minutes on Christmas Day. The Cavs were summarily waxed 106-90 by the Detroit Pistons.

What’s the correlation between the cellar-dwelling Sixers and Nets and the defending champs? The loss dropped Cleveland’s record to just 4-18 in games in which James didn’t play since the start of the 2014-15 season, when he returned for a second stint with the franchise. That’s a winning percentage of just .182.

That’s right. Without James, the Cavs play worse than the worst teams in the league.

lebomb
12-27-2016, 01:47 PM

Which is todays NBA, but anyhow, I watched Kyrie take over in the last few minutes. Key shots, 3-4 steals and the nail in the coffin AGAIN shot. Kyrie plays best when it counts the most. :toast

Robz4000
12-27-2016, 07:36 PM
That doesn't make him the best PG. Best clutch-time player? Probably. Best PG? :lol no...

-21-
12-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Not even close. Westbrook, Paul, Harden, Curry, Kemba and Wall are all better than him. Without LeBron, he would easily be seen as a tier below those guys. He is probably the most clutch player in the league though.

StrengthAndHonor
12-27-2016, 08:13 PM
Not even close. Westbrook, Paul, Harden, Curry, Kemba and Wall are all better than him. Without LeBron, he would easily be seen as a tier below those guys. He is probably the most clutch player in the league though.

Harden is a stat padder enjoying the fruits of D'Antoni's labor. And Wall is horrible.

resistanze
12-27-2016, 08:25 PM
:lol no

Just speaks to the greatness of LeBron that people would even think this.

Arcadian
12-27-2016, 08:27 PM
He's up there. If anything he's become underrated playing in Lebron's shadow (judging by the posts in this thread, at least).

???

Spurtacular
12-27-2016, 08:44 PM

Wall? Nah. The others have a case.

100%duncan
12-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Top 5

lefty
12-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Better PG than Porker....

SpursforSix
12-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Better PG than Porker....

Insert about 30 other names.

Kawhitstorm
12-27-2016, 10:23 PM
You mean just like Kirby?:wakeup

The Cavs in '13-'14 had the same record as the '04-'05 Lakers.:lol

12-27-2016, 11:48 PM
Great 1 on 1 talent, but would be a cancer in any other setting, tbh..tbf if you take any team's best player off the team they would be awful. IE Spurs without Kiwi, Rockets without Harden, etc

12-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Would love for them to add 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 tournaments in the all star game. A guy like Kyrie would dominate. He's not better than Steph, Westbrook, CP3, or Harden tho. Better on offense than guys like Lowry and Wall, but Lowry and Wall are better defenders. Tough to rank tbh. Where would you guys rank Isaiah Thomas?

Killakobe81
12-28-2016, 12:18 AM

I wouldn't say cancer but he needs an unselfish superstar like James to take away the primary playmaKing duties ...

sook
12-28-2016, 01:52 AM
What's with all this kyrie love? Most aesthetic game in the league sure, but he has the 2nd GOAT by his side...definitely takes a world of pressure off of him.

sook
12-28-2016, 01:55 AM
Lots of dumb casuals popping up after christmas game....

I agree

Kawhitstorm
12-28-2016, 03:10 AM
Would love for them to add 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 tournaments in the all star game. A guy like Kyrie would dominate. He's not better than Steph, Westbrook, CP3, or Harden tho.

Harden would beat Kyrie 1-on-1 b/c Kyrie has no chance on defense but Harden can get a stop if he puts in the effort.

Where would you guys rank Isaiah Thomas?

Isaiah is basically what Kyrie would have been if he was a midget.:lol

12-28-2016, 03:17 AM
Harden would beat Kyrie 1-on-1 b/c Kyrie has no chance on defense but Harden can get a stop if he puts in the effort.

Isaiah is basically what Kyrie would have been if he was a midget.:lol
How tall is Harden? 6'6"? They'd probably do like boxing and have different classes by height(instead of weight)..6''0-6'4...6'5-6'7..6'7-6'9, etc or something like that

and yeah that's why he came to mind :lol

Kawhitstorm
12-28-2016, 03:20 AM
How tall is Harden? 6'6"? They'd probably do like boxing and have different classes by height(instead of weight)..6''0-6'4...6'5-6'7..6'7-6'9, etc or something like that

Durant is basically the ultimate 1-on-1 guy b/c he can basically get stops against midgets like Isaiah to bigs such Davis while being able to get his shot off over anyone.

If you have ever seen the summer pick-up games, Durant averages like 60 pts b/c he's unstoppable when there is no pressure to win the game.:lol

12-28-2016, 05:23 AM
:lol at best PG when he doesn't even handle the majority of point guard duties on his own team. Clown is just another SG on a PG body

UNT Eagles 2016
12-28-2016, 05:49 AM
I don't consider him a point guard because he's shoot-first, not pass-first. He's like the modern day Iverson.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-28-2016, 05:51 AM
:lol at best PG when he doesn't even handle the majority of point guard duties on his own team. Clown is just another SG on a PG body

Exactly.

Down Under
12-28-2016, 06:14 AM
His defense makes Parker look like Bruce Bowen

cutewizard
12-28-2016, 08:27 AM
Westbrook rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

historic season for him, wish he were on the Spurs.............

perhaps someday

JoeTait75
12-28-2016, 08:49 AM
I don't consider him a point guard because he's shoot-first, not pass-first. He's like the modern day Iverson.

Either that or a smaller version of Kobe.

ambchang
12-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Lol how people are blinded by stat padders. Irving, Westbrook, cousins, Davis are all a bunch of losers. These players think that by taking over the ball andscore a lot means that you help their teams win, but don't have the basketball OQ to space the floor for their teammate, take advantage of mistakes of the opposition or play any defense.

Raven
12-28-2016, 10:16 AM
point guards have really fallen off... it's a SF league.

Kawhitstorm
12-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Either that or a smaller version of Kobe.

You mean Gilbert Arenas.:lol

Arcadian
12-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Lol how people are blinded by stat padders. Irving, Westbrook, cousins, Davis are all a bunch of losers. These players think that by taking over the ball andscore a lot means that you help their teams win, but don't have the basketball OQ to space the floor for their teammate, take advantage of mistakes of the opposition or play any defense.

I'm not sure how we can call Irving a loser when he has the ability to win games with his skills, including a game/series/title winning shot in a Finals Game 7. I don't disagree with your overall point; we can say he plays a losing style of basketball perhaps, but he isn't a loser.

DMC
12-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Neither of these two are true PGs since they are shoot first types. Kyrie has phenomenal handles and is a fantastic shooter, but he's not a better PG than Steph. J-Kidd was better than either of them as a PG because he knew how to run the team and was a smart motherfucker on the court. Steph cannot control pace, Kyrie doesn't have great court vision. Both have handles and Steph obviously blows Kyrie our of the water in pure shooting precision. Neither of them could get a so-so team to the playoffs, as we saw with Kyrie in the weak ass East while Lebron was in South Beach. Neither plays great defense but both have the tools to do so.

DMC
12-28-2016, 04:43 PM

Nah dog, that's the coaching system, front office. That's what they want, merchandise sales and ticket sales. They talk about how they love the "beautiful game" then spend all preseason playing iso ball. You put either of those guys in the Spurs system and see what happens. Their numbers would drop but their efficiency would sky rocket, and they'd be happier most likely.

sook
12-28-2016, 04:49 PM
point guards have really fallen off... it's a SF league.

lol wut? If anything its more of a scoring front guy PG driven league than ever before...

ambchang
12-28-2016, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure how we can call Irving a loser when he has the ability to win games with his skills, including a game/series/title winning shot in a Finals Game 7. I don't disagree with your overall point; we can say he plays a losing style of basketball perhaps, but he isn't a loser.

Fair point. Cave without lebron is, at best, a first round out.

-21-
12-28-2016, 10:19 PM
???

Wall? Nah. The others have a case.

I bet if Kyrie was the best player on a team, their ceiling would be the same as a Wall-led team or a Lillard-led team or a Kemba-led team. Just look at the Cavs stats when LeBron is off the floor and Kyrie is on his own, they're horrible. At best, Kyrie is on the same tier as Wall, Lillard, and Kemba. Clearly below the likes of Curry, Westbrook, Paul, and Harden. He's just being overrated because he's in the perfect position as a clutch, aggressive scorer alongside LeBron.

Spurtacular
12-28-2016, 11:40 PM
I bet if Kyrie was the best player on a team, their ceiling would be the same as a Wall-led team or a Lillard-led team or a Kemba-led team. Just look at the Cavs stats when LeBron is off the floor and Kyrie is on his own, they're horrible. At best, Kyrie is on the same tier as Wall, Lillard, and Kemba. Clearly below the likes of Curry, Westbrook, Paul, and Harden. He's just being overrated because he's in the perfect position as a clutch, aggressive scorer alongside LeBron.

I'm not pumping up Kyrie as much as I'm saying I'm not impressed by Wall.

lefty
12-28-2016, 11:55 PM
Chris Paul best pure PG tbh

Arcadian
12-29-2016, 06:15 AM

Could those guys have played like Kyrie in the Finals? I'm not so sure.

Raven
12-29-2016, 08:03 AM
lol wut? If anything its more of a scoring front guy PG driven league than ever before...

is it? the three best players are all SF.

Raven
12-29-2016, 08:04 AM
you know you're overrated when people say you're clutch as a mean to elevate you tbh

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Chris Paul best pure PG tbh

Being a Pure PG can only take you so far unless you can take over the game & dominate in big moments like Isiah Thomas.