PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Libertarian? World's Smallest Political Quiz

jochhejaam
10-09-2005, 06:33 PM
http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html
Take the test^^^

The test is too simplistic which translates into likely errors in categorizing people.
I scored out as a Liberal very close to the Centrist category on the scoring grid.

ACCORDING TO YOUR ANSWERS,
The political description that
fits you best is...

LIBERAL

LIBERALS usually embrace freedom of choice in personal atters, but tend to support significant government control of the economy.

They generally support a government-funded "safety net"to help the disadvantaged, and advocate strict regulationof business.

Liberals tend to favor environmental regulations, defend civil liberties and free expression, support government action to promote equality, and tolerate diverse lifestyles.

mookie2001
10-09-2005, 06:37 PM
I am.

jochhejaam
10-09-2005, 06:46 PM
I didn't know much about the Libertarian party so I did some reading up on their political philosophy. Here's a condensed reading of them and their history.

Libertarian Party - The LP, founded in 1971, bills itself as "America's largest third party." Libertarians are neither left nor right ... they believe in total individual liberty (pro-drug legalization, pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-home schooling, anti-gun control, etc.) and total economic freedom (anti-welfare, anti-government regulation of business, anti-minimum wage, anti-income tax, pro-free trade, etc.).

The LP espouses a classical laissez faire ideology which, they argue, means "more freedom, less government and lower taxes." Over 400 LP members currently hold various -- though fairly low level -- government offices (including lots of minor appointed officials like "School District Facilities Task Force Member" and "Town Recycling Committee Member"). Typically, the LP fields more local candidates than any other US third party -- although the LP has clearly been eclipsed by the Greens in size since 1996 in terms of having the largest third party following and garnering the most media attention.

Former 1988 LP Presidential nominee Ron Paul is now a Republican Congressman from Texas -- although Paul is still active with the LP. The LP's biggest problem: Ron Paul, former NM Governor Gary Johnson, PJ O'Rourke, the Republican Liberty Caucus and others in the GOP are working to attract ideological libertarians into the political arena -- arguing they can bring about libertarian change more easily under the Republican label. LP Presidential nominee Ed Clark carried over 921,000 votes (1.1%) in 1980. Subsequent nominees for the next dozen years, though not as strong as Clark, typically ran ahead of most other third party candidates. LP Presidential nominee Harry Browne carried over 485,000 votes (5th place - 0.5%) in 1996 and 386,000 votes in 2000 (5th place - 0.4%).

The LP has affiliates in all 50 states. The LP web site features a link to the World's Smallest Political Quiz ... take the quiz and see if you're a libertarian (a bit simplistic -- but interesting just the same). Keep up on the latest from the LP by reading the Libertarian Party News online. The College Libertarians also maintain a web directory.

A "reform" faction (anti-Browne) within the party attempted to wrest control in 1999-2000 away from the incumbent leadership (pro-Browne), alleging that the controlling faction among the incumbents have serious ethical conflicts of interest as to which favored consultants receive the bulk of the LP's money (note: the incumbents denied the allegations and held control of the LP's top posts ... but this internal dissention is likely to continue for a long while). Michael Badnarik is the LP's 2004 Presidential nominee. Other related sites are: American Liberty Foundation (Browne's group) and GrowTheLP.org (LP outreach).

I assume like most party affiliates that those who label themselves libertarians don't necessarily blindly ascribe to everything the Party stands for.

http://www.politics1.com/parties.htm

I agree with parts of their agenda but not nearly enough to qualify me as a Libertarian

MannyIsGod
10-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Big suprise...

LIBERTARIANS support maximum liberty in both personal and

economic matters. They advocate a much smaller government; one

that is limited to protecting individuals from coercion and violence.

Libertarians tend to embrace individual responsibility, oppose

government bureaucracy and taxes, promote private charity, tolerate

diverse lifestyles, support the free market, and defend civil liberties

Spurminator
10-09-2005, 07:33 PM
That "quiz" felt as genuine as the "stress test" the Scientologists at the fair today offered me.

MannyIsGod
10-09-2005, 07:53 PM
:lol

exstatic
10-09-2005, 08:55 PM
I think you're Libertarian if you vote the party. You can babble on about agreeing with their agenda and being one, but if you go into the booth and pull for one of the Big Two, you're not really a Libertarian, are you? Some people in this forum come to mind...

mookie2001
10-09-2005, 09:01 PM
well i have to agree
thats me
we need election reform where we can get a third party the chance to actually win an election

MannyIsGod
10-09-2005, 09:30 PM
I think you're Libertarian if you vote the party. You can babble on about agreeing with their agenda and being one, but if you go into the booth and pull for one of the Big Two, you're not really a Libertarian, are you? Some people in this forum come to mind...
Amen.

mookie2001
10-09-2005, 09:31 PM
well thats like if A&M is playing Oklahoma

I'm gonna go for A&M

ObiwanGinobili
10-09-2005, 09:42 PM
http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html
Take the test^^^

The test is too simplistic which translates into likely errors in categorizing people.
I scored out as a Liberal very close to the Centrist category on the scoring grid.

fits you best is...

LIBERAL

LIBERALS usually embrace freedom of choice in personal atters, but tend to support significant government control of the economy.

They generally support a government-funded "safety net"to help the disadvantaged, and advocate strict regulationof business.

Liberals tend to favor environmental regulations, defend civil liberties and free expression, support government action to promote equality, and tolerate diverse lifestyles.

my results were the exact same.... like 1 spot removed from centrist and 2 spots down from libertarian

scott
10-09-2005, 11:36 PM
I agree with parts of their agenda but not nearly enough to qualify me as a Libertarian

I can help you out... you are about as Libertarian as Yonivore.

GopherSA
10-10-2005, 12:29 AM
http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz-score/draw.php?p=2&e=10

Cant_Be_Faded
10-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Perry Logan says Republicans Dumb, Libertarians Dumber, Conspiracy Theorists Dumbest.

jochhejaam
10-10-2005, 05:27 AM
I can help you out... you are about as Libertarian as Yonivore.

I wasn't really in need of help but it's always good to hear from ya scott. :lol

Hook Dem
10-10-2005, 12:34 PM

fits you best is...

CENTRIST

CENTRISTS espouse a "middle ground" regarding government

control of the economy and personal behavior. Depending on

the issue, they sometimes favor government intervention

and sometimes support individual freedom of choice.

Centrists pride themselves on keeping an open mind,

tend to oppose "political extremes," and emphasize what

they describe as "practical" solutions to problems.

Marcus Bryant
10-10-2005, 01:11 PM
You don't have to vote for the Libertarian party in order to be a libertarian.

SWC Bonfire
10-10-2005, 02:43 PM
ron paul = victoria rep

Used to be in my district, until they stuck us in a district that goes from Bastrop to Eagle Pass.

mookie2001
10-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Ron Paul, Traditional fiscally conservative, constitutionalist, but a nutless sellout.

SWC Bonfire
10-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Ron Paul, Traditional fiscally conservative, constitutionalist, but a nutless sellout.

He did not vote for authorization to go into Iraq; what did he sell out on?

He is a Libertarian, Republican in name only.

mookie2001
10-10-2005, 02:48 PM
he is for civil liberties and privacy, and he is a fiscal conservative, which not many republicans are these days
but he NEVER speaks out against his own party
even McCain does that

SWC Bonfire
10-10-2005, 02:56 PM
but he NEVER speaks out against his own party
even McCain does that

McCain is a publicity hound with aspirations to higher office. Ron Paul is a career house member.

mookie2001
10-10-2005, 03:01 PM
I hate McCain
he'd sit there for 20 min in 2004 scoffing the GOP, Bush, everything possible
have me liking the cut of his jib
then theyll ask him who he was supporting
"oh, George W. Bush"
gutless chode