PDA

View Full Version : Mike D'Antoni brother with a subtle dig at the new Spurs' antiquated offense..

spursistan
12-29-2016, 06:37 PM
:wow

Do you know what a post-up is, with a guy standing over top of you? It's 0.78. So you run your team down there and we'll see how long you can stay with teams that can play the other way.

spursistan
12-29-2016, 06:39 PM
"You see those Top 3 teams" (meaning GSW/CLE/Rockets) :lol

cd98
12-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Yes but Spurs hardly post up. Plus analytics most likely don't account for good post up scorers vs bad. Tim in his prime on the post is probably the outlier in an analysis. But especially now days, there aren't any great post up scorers. For every LMA, there are 15 Dwight Howards.

Perry Mason
12-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Yes but Spurs hardly post up. Plus analytics most likely don't account for good post up scorers vs bad. Tim in his prime on the post is probably the outlier in an analysis. But especially now days, there aren't any great post up scorers. For every LMA, there are 15 Dwight Howards.

This times 1000. Even the smug idiots at 538 have since acknowledged, after promoting that the mid-range shot is the "worst" shot in basketball, that for some players with a high level of skill, the mid-range shot in the right context is a perfectly fine and efficient shot.

I'm quite certain Shaq and TD in the post are well ahead of 0.78. Plus, that figure completely ignores that the post is used to draw in the defense, so you can get those 1.3 point corner 3's. You may not have that MParker (in his prime) level penetrator to free up those 3's.

Analytics-based approaches by themselves also ignore the variability in basketball. To the point that it's circular logic. If a game doesn't go their way, why it's just because the percentages didn't fall on their side.

szkorhetz
12-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Actually Pop killed the mid-range and post up games almost completely from 2010 in favor of the motion offense, what the whole NBA copied than he reversed it all..

And clearly, the three pointer and layups are much more efficient.

MaNu4Tres
12-29-2016, 07:17 PM
He's not lying.

That's why Spurs will likely lose vs. the top 5 teams or 2nd round, because they simply won't get as great of shots in the course of a 7 game series.

They don't have the personnel that manufacturers the best shots. The best two offensive players on the roster don't create great opportunities for others, all while creating the worst shots in basketball for themselves (yet they are still effective just not optimally effective like other lead creators on top teams).

In order for the Spurs to have a shot, they have to play lights out defensively w/out fouling, not turn over the ball, and get out in transition as much as possible to find easy and early opportunities while the transition defense is bent and vulnerable. If they have to play vs. a set defense vs. a top 5 team most of the possessions it will be tough to get 2 games in a 7 game series.

It wouldn't shock me for the Rockets to beat the Spurs in a 7 game series tbh.. As painful as that is for me to say.

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 07:32 PM
He's not lying.

That's why Spurs will likely lose vs. the top 5 teams or 2nd round, because they simply won't get as great of shots in the course of a 7 game series.

Spurs aren't losing 4 out of 7 times to the one man Houston Crockets unless Pop plays Pau more than 25 minutes.:wakeup

I actually now hope that match up happens so LMA can destroy their soft ass frontline while D'Antoni watches on helplessly.:lol

MaNu4Tres
12-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Spurs aren't losing 4 out of 7 times to the one man Houston Crockets unless Pop plays Pau more than 25 minutes.:lol

After watching Pops terrible ways of managing minutes the last two playoff losses vs. Clippers and OKC, I'm anticipating 25-32 mpg for Pau in the playoffs and 25-28 for TP.

I never said Rockets will beat the Spurs, I'm just saying it wouldn't shock me if they did. I'd get it.

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 07:42 PM
After watching Pops terrible ways of managing minutes the last two playoff losses vs. Clippers and OKC, I'm anticipating 25-32 mpg for Pau in the playoffs and 25-28 for TP.

Pop had his ass glued to the bench in the first matchup where he got destroyed in the 1st quarter.

MaNu4Tres
12-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Pop had his ass glued to the bench in the first matchup where he got destroyed in the 1st quarter.

Okay. That's great. Hopefully it carries over in a potential matchup.

So you take something I don't say ( I never said Spurs will lose vs. Hou) and bend it as much as possible, all while ignoring everything else I actually did say in the post. :lol Touche

Lets just find something to argue about in every post. Even if its about something that was never posted. :lol

itzsoweezee
12-29-2016, 07:52 PM
Making huge generalizations using statistics based off of very few variables is like the equivalent of earning a PhD from Phoenix University.

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 08:01 PM
So you take something I don't say ( I never said Spurs will lose vs. Hou) and bend it as much as possible, all while ignoring everything else I actually did say in the post. :lol

WTF are you talking about?:downspin:

Your words: "Spurs will likely lose vs. the top 5 teams or 2nd round"

Let me check the top 5 teams in the league: http://scores.espn.com/nba/standings/_/group/league

Oh, Rockets (the anti-Spurs) are top 5 AND would most likely be the Spurs 2nd rd opponent. I had it all wrong.....:rolleyes

MaNu4Tres
12-29-2016, 08:08 PM
WTF are you talking about?:downspin:

Your words: "Spurs will likely lose vs. the top 5 teams or 2nd round"

Let me check the top 5 teams in the league: http://scores.espn.com/nba/standings/_/group/league

Oh, Rockets are top 5 AND would most likely be the Spurs 2nd rd opponent. I had it all wrong.....:rolleyes

Never said Rockets though. I did, however, say it wouldn't surprise me if Rockets did beat the Spurs in a series.

And will "likely" lose, doesn't mean the same thing as " will lose". And when I said in that context I never said Rockets, Rockets are obviously on the fringe of " top 5" but its all subjective anyway. There's no fact on who will win in a series.

Congrats, you got your argument out of something I never said. :lol

Typical KS, finding 3 words in an entire post and stretching it out as much as possible to make an argument, all while ignoring the meat and bones of the post. KS, per par.

skulls138
12-29-2016, 08:14 PM
He's not lying.

They don't have the personnel that manufacturers the best shots. The best two offensive players on the roster don't create great opportunities for others, all while creating the worst shots in basketball for themselves (yet they are still effective just not optimally effective like other lead creators on top teams).

In order for the Spurs to have a shot, they have to play lights out defensively w/out fouling, not turn over the ball, and get out in transition as much as possible to find easy and early opportunities while the transition defense is bent and vulnerable. If they have to play vs. a set defense vs. a top 5 team most of the possessions it will be tough to get 2 games in a 7 game series.

It wouldn't shock me for the Rockets to beat the Spurs in a 7 game series tbh.. As painful as that is for me to say.What I can see, you need both, especially in the playoffs. If youre effective on the inside you open up the outside. Inside play is the higher FG%, more FGs, more confidence, you draw in the D then the threes fall. Also Greens and Mills threes are falling much better than last year. Add to that Kawhi, Manu and even Paus threes, it could get explosive quick. Also Spurs three point shooting is spot up shooting, where we find the open man. Thats harder to D than ISO 3 pt shooting like Harden and Curry and it gets the whole team involved and less energy expended.

Also, if the three ball was so effective GSW should have won last year but they got beat by interior play.

Solid D
12-29-2016, 08:15 PM
An open shot is a good shot. Aldridge made his first 11 and 9 shots respectively the past two games.

Spurtacular
12-29-2016, 08:16 PM
:lol

These analytics dweebs think they're on par with Einstein.

MaNu4Tres
12-29-2016, 08:21 PM
An open shot is a good shot. Meanwhile, Aldridge made his first 11 and 9 shots respectively the past two games.

True.

However, there's better or more valuable good shots or open shots than other " good shots" or open shots.

I.E: The team with 25 uncontested corner 3's will score more points than a team with 25 uncontested long 2's.

Or a team with 10 uncontested lay ups will score more points than a team with 5 uncontested layups and 5 uncontested long 2's.

How do you think Rockets have been able to beat the Spurs at home this year or stay in every game til the end while having an inferior defense compared to the Spurs?

They have a better offense by manufacturing better shots.

Solid D
12-29-2016, 08:25 PM
True.

However, there's better or more valuable good shots or open shots than other " good shots" or open shots.

I.E: The team with 25 uncontested corner 3's will score more points than a team with 25 uncontested long 2's.

Or a team with 10 uncontested lay ups will score more points than a team with 5 uncontested layups and 5 uncontested long 2's.

How do you think Rockets have been able to beat the Spurs at home this year or stay in every game til the end while having an inferior defense compared to the Spurs?

They have a better offense by manufacturing better shots.

Pop has been preaching the corner three as the best shot offensively and most dangerous shot defensively since at least the late 1990s. He also emphasizes no fouls.

MaNu4Tres
What I can see, you need both, especially in the playoffs. If youre effective on the inside you open up the outside. Inside play is the higher FG%, more FGs, more confidence, you draw in the D then the threes fall. Also Greens and Mills threes are falling much better than last year. Add to that Kawhi, Manu and even Paus threes, it could get explosive quick. Also Spurs three point shooting is spot up shooting, where we find the open man. Thats harder to D than ISO 3 pt shooting like Harden and Curry and it gets the whole team involved and less energy expended.

Also, if the three ball was so effective GSW should have won last year but they got beat by interior play.

Smart teams aren't doubling in the post anymore like they used to. Especially doubling one pass away on the strong side -- where Danny gets open 3's from LA at times against dumb or unfocused teams. Those open 3's that are manufactured out of the post mainly happen against dumb teams.

Smart teams bring doubles rarely and when they do, it's always hard and abrupt from the weakside, where a longer pass will be needed to beat the double. The longer/ softer pass leads to an easier close out for the defense so they can get away with it.

Prime example is OKC last year, they played LA straight up even after his 40 point outbursts because they knew in the long run he couldn't maintain that level of efficiency from the post area and open 3's were limited and the offense struggled often the last 4 games.

gospursgojas
Just bc you run a post play doesn't mean you will score in the post. What about doubles that open up a 3? Or force the defense to rotate and cause a mismatch?

Just bc the 3 has been shown to be an efficient shot doesn't mean you just run down and jack one up...to me, that's a very primal way to think of it and will kill you when shots aren't falling. Run some offense to get good 3.

MaNu4Tres
12-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Pop has been preaching the corner three as the best shot offensively and most dangerous shot defensively since at least the late 1990s. He also emphasizes no fouls.

And he's right on the money.

Solid D
12-29-2016, 08:36 PM
And he's right on the money.

:tu

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 08:38 PM
And will "likely" lose, doesn't mean the same thing as " will lose". And when I said in that context I never said Rockets, Rockets are obviously on the fringe of " top 5" but its all subjective anyway. There's no fact on who will win in a series.

You are out here play semantics gymnastics b/c I found a flaw in your blanket statement.

The fetal flaw on the Spurs roster is the lack of ball handlers that can attack switches. Teams can neutralize three point threats or penetration by switching & if you don't have a ball handler that can attack those switches....you're toast.

Kyrie isn't known for creating shots for his teammates but he's ultimate switch killers which is why he owns the Duds. (Porker in his PRIME used to be that guy)

You could have a guy like Rubio who can create shots for his teammates surrounded by 3 point threats but dude would get exposed in a playoff series b/c he can't attack switches. (The Duds couldn't score on the Cavs b/c a less than 100% Curry couldn't take advantage of Tristan)

Even a backup like Lou Williams who can only really run PnP would be a godsend for the Spurs similar to how Monta was running the Mavs lethal offense.

Mr. Body
12-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Shooting all threes is insane strategy. It's only worked for one team in the playoffs, ever, and that's the Golden State Warriors, and because they have insanely gifted players. When things slow down and get physical you need to get scores down low somehow.

MaNu4Tres
12-29-2016, 08:53 PM
You are out here play semantics gymnastics b/c I found a flaw in your blanket statement.

The fetal flaw on the Spurs roster is the lack of ball handlers that can attack switches. Teams can neutralize three point threats or penetration by switching & if you don't have a ball handler that can attack those switches....you're toast.

Kyrie isn't known for creating shots for his teammates but he's ultimate switch killers which is why he owns the Duds. (Porker in his PRIME used to be that guy)

You could have a guy like Rubio who can create shots for his teammates surrounded by 3 point threats but dude would get exposed in a playoff series b/c he can't attack switches.

Even a backup like Lou Williams who is pretty good at running PnRs would be a godsend for the Spurs.

Lol you live for this.

15K posts when I bet 10K of them stem from using a magnifying glass to try to find one sentence in a 5 paragraph post to stretch out as far as possible to form an argumentative debate ( sometimes over something that was never said -- like this time when I never said Rockets will beat the Spurs). All because I implied Rockets pose a significant threat to the Spurs. :lol I'm so wrong for having that opinion.

Congrats man. You got your argument.

MaNu4Tres
12-29-2016, 08:57 PM
Shooting all threes is insane strategy. It's only worked for one team in the playoffs, ever, and that's the Golden State Warriors, and because they have insanely gifted players. When things slow down and get physical you need to get scores down low somehow.

You can't shoot all 3's, but you can optimize 3's and layups/dunks with the right personnel. Of course there will be some mid range jumpers taken here and there, its part of the game. However, the best teams optimize the best opportunities. Spurs had it all their championship seasons. They've never been as reliant on the mid range, avg. post up game as they are now.

tdominate21
12-29-2016, 09:00 PM
This concept of corner threes and other threes is Wayyyyy to simplistic. Yes those are the most efficient ways to score. But its about how they are produced. Penetration. Pick n roll. The teams that can penetrate and kick are the teams that will win. Clippers 2 years ago. Thunder last year. Their pick n roll offense was better than ours and their pick n roll defense was better than ours. That's it. Cleveland's defense on the pick n roll last year against Golden State turned the series. Golden State was just chucking it from 3 or taking bad shots cuz they couldn't penetrate.

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 09:07 PM
Prime example is OKC last year, they played LA straight up even after his 40 point outbursts because they knew in the long run he couldn't maintain that level of efficiency from the post area and open 3's were limited and the offense struggled often the last 4 games.

You're ignoring that OKC kept leaving Softridge open on the PnP in Gm 1 which got him rolling & he couldn't miss whatever shot he took including his fadeaway. Gm 2 was an ugly game that the Spurs lost b/c they missed a bunch of point blank shots in the 1st quarter especially Tim who Adams was cheating off to double Softridge.

OKC changed their PnP coverage by forcing Porker to be a SCORER & he had a decent Gm 3/4 but it fucked up Softridge's rhythm. Their strategy paid off in Gm 5 when Softridge couldn't hit a shot & Porker shot the Spurs out of the game in the 4th quarter.

exstatic
12-29-2016, 09:15 PM
It's funny to see Dan Dan Tony pimp the offense of his brother, who has never even made it to the Finals. Yeah, that shit is airtight, alright.

Spurs_619
12-29-2016, 09:45 PM
You can't shoot all 3's, but you can optimize 3's and layups/dunks with the right personnel. Of course there will be some mid range jumpers taken here and there, its part of the game. However, the best teams optimize the best opportunities. Spurs had it all their championship seasons. They've never been as reliant on the mid range, avg. post up game as they are now.

04???????

TheGreatYacht
12-29-2016, 09:54 PM
:lol

These analytics dweebs think they're on par with Einstein.
:lol Morey ball

chucking threes and flopping lmfao. That won't work when it matters

GSH
12-29-2016, 09:57 PM
The fetal flaw on the Spurs roster is ...

It's not a FETAL flaw, you fucking troglodyte. YOU are a fetal flaw. But there isn't any fetal flaw on the Spurs' roster.

As for Manu4Tres' "blanket statement"? The Rockets are spoilers. They're damned giant-killers. If they happen to have the 3's falling, they can beat anybody - especially in the regular season. They're a threat to any team in the league, if shots are falling. In the playoffs, defense has something to say about that over a 7-game series.

The corner 3 IS dangerous. It works because someone else on the team demands that the defense pays attention to them first. No team... absolutely no fucking team... gives up an open corner 3 intentionally. Regardless of what lil' D'antoni says, a layup is still a better shot. The stuff he says in that interview is not only wrong, it's totally fucking ignorant. He says that a covered post-up scores .78 points per attempt. What he doesn't say is that a really good post-up player scores a lot more than that. And that a really good post-up player is often responsible for getting the corner-3 shooter an uncontested shot.

Here's the biggest thing you have to ask yourself: How many championships has anyone named D'Antoni ever won? Answer that, and then ask yourself why you would ever use them as a basis for your argument. The corner 3 really IS the most dangerous shot in basketball. Just like the left hook is the most dangerous punch in boxing. Everyone knows it. And they don't let you have either one, unless they have no choice. Beat the shit out of an opponent with jabs and body blows, and they give up the left hook. Beat the shit out of the defense with an inside game, and they wind up giving up the corner 3.

pgardn
12-29-2016, 09:59 PM
This times 1000. Even the smug idiots at 538 have since acknowledged, after promoting that the mid-range shot is the "worst" shot in basketball, that for some players with a high level of skill, the mid-range shot in the right context is a perfectly fine and efficient shot.

I'm quite certain Shaq and TD in the post are well ahead of 0.78. Plus, that figure completely ignores that the post is used to draw in the defense, so you can get those 1.3 point corner 3's. You may not have that MParker (in his prime) level penetrator to free up those 3's.

Analytics-based approaches by themselves also ignore the variability in basketball. To the point that it's circular logic. If a game doesn't go their way, why it's just because the percentages didn't fall on their side.

Dammit.

Someone sees it!
Why in the hell don't you post more often.
A person that can actually look at the game and see the shortfall of the numbers guys.

Apologies if I have missed others.

exstatic
12-29-2016, 10:01 PM
It's not a FETAL flaw, you fucking troglodyte. YOU are a fetal flaw. But there isn't any fetal flaw on the Spurs' roster.

As for Manu4Tres' "blanket statement"? The Rockets are spoilers. They're damned giant-killers. If they happen to have the 3's falling, they can beat anybody - especially in the regular season. They're a threat to any team in the league, if shots are falling. In the playoffs, defense has something to say about that over a 7-game series.

The corner 3 IS dangerous. It works because someone else on the team demands that the defense pays attention to them first. No team... absolutely no fucking team... gives up an open corner 3 intentionally. Regardless of what lil' D'antoni says, a layup is still a better shot. The stuff he says in that interview is not only wrong, it's totally fucking ignorant. He says that a covered post-up scores .78 points per attempt. What he doesn't say is that a really good post-up player scores a lot more than that. And that a really good post-up player is often responsible for getting the corner-3 shooter an uncontested shot.

Here's the biggest thing you have to ask yourself: How many championships has anyone named D'Antoni ever won? Answer that, and then ask yourself why you would ever use them as a basis for your argument. The corner 3 really IS the most dangerous shot in basketball. Just like the left hook is the most dangerous punch in boxing. Everyone knows it. And they don't let you have either one, unless they have no choice. Beat the shit out of an opponent with jabs and body blows, and they give up the left hook. Beat the shit out of the defense with an inside game, and they wind up giving up the corner 3.

So much this...

Yuixafun
12-29-2016, 10:01 PM
It's more than just what shot scores the most points per attempt though...

Strategically playing some bully ball, against these zippy free wheeling, shooting teams... is like running the ball in football, or going to the body in boxing.

It slows the game down, you physically tax the opponent, you get them in foul trouble, you have a better chance of getting back on defense etc...

If this was Magic the Gathering, Pop built a Black and Blue Control deck, with this team.

Yuixafun
12-29-2016, 10:03 PM

Wow were literally thinking in the same realm at the same time, and posting lol... Great minds eh?

pgardn
12-29-2016, 10:07 PM
The fetal flaw on the Spurs roster .

Wow.

Fetal flaws...
Well hell lets abort them how bout it...

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 10:09 PM
But there isn't any fetal flaw on the Spurs' roster.

https://s.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Ble5eH9ay9msJrKxccUMLw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztpbD1wbGFuZTtxPTc1O3c9NjAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en/person/Ysports/tony-parker-basketball-headshot-photo.jpg

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 10:11 PM

It didn't work for them when Mr. Unanimous MVP couldn't score on switches even against Kevin fuckn' Love.:lol

Imagine the Duds w/ Porker as their PG.:lmao

The only reason I want Deron Williams is b/c he's STILL a very good PnR point guard & can score on switches if you put Enes Kanter on him which Porker couldn't in the 4th quarter of Gm 5.:lol

Most Efficient Pick-and-Roll Guards: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-most-efficient-pick-and-roll-guards/

Deron Williams, Dallas Mavericks – Average Points Per PNR Possession: 1.20

Despite the Mavericks’ tough start to the season (2-6 thus far), Williams has been one of the bright spots, averaging 15 points and 5.8 assists through five games before going down with a calf injury. Williams is leading the league in points per possession off of pick-and-roll situations at 1.2. PNRs make up more than half of Williams’ offensive play types at 51 percent, per Synergy Sports. It’s safe to say that the veteran guard leans heavily on this action to facilitate offense for teammates and himself. Out of PNR action, Williams is shooting 56.4 percent and is extremely adept using the ball screen to get to his one or two dribble pull-up, per Synergy. Out of 65 of Williams’ PNR possessions thus far, about a quarter of them have resulted in pull-up jumpers. The Mavs guard has scored 21 points off of PNR pull-ups, per Synergy. On 38 possessions passing out of the PNR, he has assisted on 57 points, which ranks him in the 99th percentile in the league, per Synergy. Most of these passes are to the benefit of Dwight Powell and Dirk Nowitzki, who are natural pop guys, or spot up jump shooters Harrison Barnes and Wesley Matthews. The Mavericks are hoping Williams can make it back from his lower leg injury soon in order to continue his productive play.

pgardn
12-29-2016, 10:14 PM
https://s.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Ble5eH9ay9msJrKxccUMLw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztpbD1wbGFuZTtxPTc1O3c9NjAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en/person/Ysports/tony-parker-basketball-headshot-photo.jpg

Wow.

Thats a fetus that will get a few looks.

Yuixafun
12-29-2016, 10:15 PM
To be fair, Curry didn't look right after that, random slip on Montejunas sweat in the first round vs the Rockets.

But you might say it was karma from Last Last year, when every team GS faced, had a significant injury to a key player.

If any team deserves an asterisk next to their Championship, it's the 2015 Warriors.

GSH
12-29-2016, 10:35 PM
You guys made me laugh tonight. I'm not one of the Parker-haters, but that pic made me laugh my ass off.

Have a good night, boys and girls.

Wow were literally thinking in the same realm at the same time, and posting lol... Great minds eh?

Wow.

Fetal flaws...
Well hell lets abort them how bout it...

TheGreatYacht
12-29-2016, 10:52 PM
It didn't work for them when Mr. Unanimous MVP couldn't score on switches even against Kevin fuckn' Love.:lol

Imagine the Duds w/ Porker as their PG.:lmao

The only reason I want Deron Williams is b/c he's STILL a very good PnR point guard & can score on switches if you put Enes Kanter on him which Porker couldn't in the 4th quarter of Gm 5.:lol

Most Efficient Pick-and-Roll Guards: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-most-efficient-pick-and-roll-guards/
That article is from November 15 :lol (Fatron was 5 games into the season)

He's a 40% shooting cancer and has gotten outplayed by Parker his whole career lmao.

This is as bad of a scenario as when you wanted PJ Tucker and TOSB Chandler........

TheGreatYacht
12-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Kiwistorm's dream Spurs roster consists of:

Tyson Chandler
????
PJ Tucker
Kiwi Leonard
Deron Williams

6th man - Michael Carter-Williams

apalisoc_9
12-29-2016, 11:00 PM
I mean yeah sure, numeriacally speaking.

But the spurs aren't exactly going to exclusively shoot post up modrange jumpers. Teams can also easily force the drive.

Basketball is a lot more complex than numbers. I love analytics, but this is extreme.

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 11:16 PM
That article is from November 15 :lol (Fatron was 5 games into the season)

You know the current stats exist on synergy.:wakeup

Among players that try to score in at least 5 PnR possessions where they are the ball handler, Deron is ranked 5th in EFG% basically tied w/ :wowLillard/Harden:wow: http://stats.nba.com/players/ball-handler/#!?sort=aFG&dir=1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=PossG*GE*5

If his best teammates wasn't Harrison freakin' Barnes then he would be even more effective.:wakeup

He's a 40% shooting cancer and has gotten outplayed by Parker his whole career lmao.

CcaA5Cz7Ut4

This is as bad of a scenario as when you wanted PJ Tucker and TOSB Chandler........

If Pau is going to fetch you Anthony Davis & Jrue Holiday then I'm all for it.:toast

gospursgojas
12-29-2016, 11:23 PM
How does D'antoni keep getting jobs anyway? Its the same ol score a lot of points never win anything but regular season games Phx Suns team in a diff uni and town.

Chinook
12-29-2016, 11:38 PM
By far the Spurs' easiest path to beating GS is for LMA and Gasol to make it impossible for the Warriors to play small. The key match-up is LMA on Draymond. Traditionally, Green can't check Aldridge, but he's only shown that in two games while in a Spurs uniform. If LMA is going to go down and shoot like 60 percent by posting up Draymond, you damned better believe the Warriors will double, but they aren't shooting well enough to counteract that. And they're not shooting well enough to counteract the fouls LMA will be getting.

Of course, if Aldridge plays like a wuss, then the Spurs have no chance.

The idea that the Warriors reinvented basketball is absurd. The Spurs won in 2014 by having an elite post-up player kick the shit out of small-ball. If you commit to playing great D and moving on O, then a slowed-down inside-out game is the best.

That said, the Spurs are not doing a great job at generating threes in ways that don't rely on defensive breakdowns. They have the shooters to where the three needs to be something they work to get, especially considering their back-court scoring is sketchy at best when it comes to them getting their own shots.

apalisoc_9
12-29-2016, 11:44 PM
By far the Spurs' easiest path to beating GS is for LMA and Gasol to make it impossible for the Warriors to play small. The key match-up is LMA on Draymond. Traditionally, Green can't check Aldridge, but he's only shown that in two games while in a Spurs uniform. If LMA is going to go down and shoot like 60 percent by posting up Draymond, you damned better believe the Warriors will double, but they aren't shooting well enough to counteract that. And they're not shooting well enough to counteract the fouls LMA will be getting.

The idea that the Warriors reinvented basketball is absurd. The Spurs won in 2014 by having an elite post-up player kick the shit out of small-ball. If you commit to playing great D and moving on O, then a slowed-down inside-out game is the best.

That said, the Spurs are not doing a great job at generating threes in ways that don't rely on defensive breakdowns. They have the shooters to where the three needs to be something they work to get, especially considering their back-court scoring is sketchy at best when it comes to them getting their own shots.

I don't understand why Aldridge doesn't just post up and dribble to the middle for a hook shot. Three things happen when he does this, an easy score, if he missses...perfect opportunity for an pffensive boards, and a foul. The refs respect him enough to whistle when he bumps the post defender. It's easily his best weapon..also the best way to grab offensive boards since his fadeways turn into long rebounds.

He's the best in the league doing this...but it's incredible how he never realized this instead he opts for worse shots.
Of course, he can be a wuss and refuse to do this...

Mr. Body
12-29-2016, 11:44 PM

The first game of the season is still the template for beating the Warriors, although the remainder of the games won't be as easy, of course. But hitting them in the land over and over, in post ups and drives. Whatever Gasol gives is good, although he's a defensive liability. The real keys are LMA and Kawhi, who rocked them on the offensive boards.

SAGirl
12-30-2016, 12:49 AM
I don't understand why Aldridge doesn't just post up and dribble to the middle for a hook shot. Three things happen when he does this, an easy score, if he missses...perfect opportunity for an pffensive boards, and a foul. The refs respect him enough to whistle when he bumps the post defender. It's easily his best weapon..also the best way to grab offensive boards since his fadeways turn into long rebounds.

He's the best in the league doing this...but it's incredible how he never realized this instead he opts for worse shots.
I
remember against the Clippers he got called for a really bad foul (that foul reversal) for bumping a guy when really it was a general physical post up play IMO... he got away from that the rest of the game and the Spurs lost... while he let all sorts of bad SF guard him (Pierce!?) etc. You know how it went. The way the game is called influences Lamarcus game a lot, maybe he's not mentally strong ... we shall see. I hope he is.

skulls138
12-30-2016, 01:23 AM
Smart teams aren't doubling in the post anymore like they used to. Especially doubling one pass away on the strong side -- where Danny gets open 3's from LA at times against dumb or unfocused teams. Those open 3's that are manufactured out of the post mainly happen against dumb teams.

Smart teams bring doubles rarely and when they do, it's always hard and abrupt from the weakside, where a longer pass will be needed to beat the double. The longer/ softer pass leads to an easier close out for the defense so they can get away with it.

Prime example is OKC last year, they played LA straight up even after his 40 point outbursts because they knew in the long run he couldn't maintain that level of efficiency from the post area and open 3's were limited and the offense struggled often the last 4 games.I talked too much about offense but what I really wanted to talk about is owning the paint in all ways, not only in having high FG% but defense, rebounding and pushing bodies around. This is whats going to open up the 3 point shooting. LAs getting better at that as well as shooting a great mid range but he still has a way to go to battle with the likes of Adams or Tristan Thomas, while still scoring. But its that combined with team D, overall rebounding, Kawhi Leonard as well as our underrated 3pt shooting that will make the other teams worry.

And this is because inside play is more valuable in the playoffs.

Mnky
12-30-2016, 01:41 AM
Scoreboard.

Chinook
12-30-2016, 01:43 AM
Getting second-chance points is a huge part of how playing big and in the paint balances out against shooting. You can also add in long rebounds versus short ones and how they play into transition. I've said it a number of times already, but efficiency is overrated. The game is about buckets. That's it. It's about getting the most points, not looking the best while doing it.

sexinthatsx
12-30-2016, 02:09 AM
"You live by the 3, you die by the 3". Warriors have single-handedly experienced this, so they can be the first to say that quote to anybody. Lets not forget, the Spurs were a Patty Mills / Gary Neal heatcheck barrage of 3's away from the 2015 title. If those 3's had not gone in, Spurs may have very well lost momentum throughout the course of the game/series.

I trust that if Pop made the trend of the motion offense, he can figure out a way to exploit it just as easily.

Down Under
12-30-2016, 02:36 AM

Been saying it for ages. Either a hook or a drop step when posting up a smaller defender he'll get either a basket or freebies everytime

daledondale
12-30-2016, 09:24 AM
D'Antoni can suck my dick.

r0drig0lac
12-30-2016, 09:27 AM
It's more than just what shot scores the most points per attempt though...

Strategically playing some bully ball, against these zippy free wheeling, shooting teams... is like running the ball in football, or going to the body in boxing.

It slows the game down, you physically tax the opponent, you get them in foul trouble, you have a better chance of getting back on defense etc...

If this was Magic the Gathering, Pop built a Black and Blue Control deck, with this team.

good times, great reference, rox would be like a all red deck

cd98
12-30-2016, 10:11 AM
How does D'antoni keep getting jobs anyway? Its the same ol score a lot of points never win anything but regular season games Phx Suns team in a diff uni and town.

He's a good coach with the right team. He was perfect for the Suns, who had some great runs until they made the mistake of trading for old/fat Shaq. The NY and Laker hires were mistakes as the personnel on both teams couldn't run the only offense he can coach. But he's the perfect coach to help the Rockets overachieve, though I doubt we ever see him win a title in his career.

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2016, 02:52 PM

SMART teams usually force him to the baseline so that if he wants to shoot a hook, he has to use his left hand. He unfortunately doesn't have a drop-step but rather a spin move outside the restricted area which means help can get there before he can get a dunk:

Liahsyzz_nM

If he was comfortable posting up on the right block then he would have been able to shoot a right handed hook from the baseline.