PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports: Will San Antonio Spurs Change Course And Trade Mid-Season?

south side spur
12-29-2016, 09:08 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/nba/story/will-san-antonio-spurs-change-course-and-trade-mid-season-122916%3Famp%3Dtrue?client=safari

Will San Antonio Spurs Change Course And Trade Mid-Season?

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:48a

The San Antonio Spurs are currently second in the Western Conference and are heading for another 50-win season. But will they look to modify to their current outfit?
The following transactions are three rare occasions where Buford has rolled the dice and traded mid-season.

Feb. 24, 2005: Traded (http://www.espn.com.au/nba/news/story?id=1998814)Malik Rose, a 2005 first-round draft pick (David Lee was later selected) and a 2006 first-round draft pick (Mardy Collins was later selected) to the New York Knicks for Jamison Brewer and Nazr Mohammed.
Result: San Antonio defeated Detroit 4-3 in the NBA Finals to capture the 2005 championship. Mohammad was the starting center throughout the playoffs and Finals and was a terrific contributor on the defensive end of the floor.

Feb. 20, 2008: Traded (http://www.espn.com.au/nba/news/story?id=3255661)Brent Barry, Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round draft pick (Rodrigue Beaubois was later selected) to the Seattle SuperSonics for Kurt Thomas.
Result: The Spurs lost 4-1 to the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals. Thomas was a non-factor, playing just 8.8 minutes per game.
March 15, 2012: Traded (http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/7691112/golden-state-warriors-trade-stephen-jackson-san-antonio-spurs) T.J. Ford, Richard Jefferson and a 2012 first-round draft pick (Festus Ezeli was later selected) to the Golden State Warriors for Stephen Jackson.
Result: The Spurs lost 4-2 to the Oklahoma City Thunder in the Western Conference Finals. The Spurs had reeled off 20 consecutive wins and had a 2-0 lead over the Thunder. However, things fell apart and they subsequently lost the next four straight games.

Potential Trades

From the outside looking in, it may appear crazy to break up a team that is presently 26-6 and just 1.5 games off the top spot in the western conference. But the Spurs have demonstrated historically in the Buford-Popovich era that they are:

Always in win-now mode, and;
Prepared to make a midseason move when they see fit.

Having a win-now mindset, trading future picks has been part of the equation when it comes to upgrading their team. But in saying that, one or more key parts of their rotation will clearly need to be included if the Spurs are looking to make a significant splash.
Trade Pau Gasol; Acquire Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut via three-team trade

Teams: San Antonio, Charlotte Hornets, Dallas Mavericks
San Antonio receives: Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut
San Antonio trades: Pau Gasol, 2017 first-round pick
Charlotte receives: Pau Gasol, Bryn Forbes, 2017 first-round pick
Charlotte trades: Frank Kaminsky, Jeremy Lamb, Roy Hibbert
Dallas trades: Deron Williams, Andrew Bogut
Dallas receive: Frank Kaminsky, Jeremy Lamb, Roy Hibbert, 2017 first-round pick

Trade LaMarcus Aldridge; Acquire Serge Ibaka and Aaron Gordon

Teams: San Antonio, Orlando Magic
San Antonio receives: Serge Ibaka, Aaron Gordon, Mario Hezonja
Orlando receives: LaMarcus Aldridge, Spurs 2017 first round pick
Trade Or Stand Pat?

These are the two simple options presenting the Spurs between now and the February 23 trade deadline. While heading down the trading route is not common for the Spurs, they’re all in when they pursue this course of thinking.

Each of the trades detailed earlier involved parting with a first-round pick and also a key rotation player. Of course, trading future picks can back to bite you if they’re used wisely. David Lee and Festus Ezeli are examples of this risk for the Spurs.

But of course, risk and reward comes with any transaction. The Spurs were richly rewarded with their 2005 deal for Nazr Mohammad, with the team prevailing 4-3 in the NBA Finals in what was a nail-biting series.
Also, the team won 31 of their first 33 games after acquiring Stephen Jackson before falling to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

The Spurs front office, coaching staff and ownership have the set the standard around the league. Of course, a 26-6 record is probably more than they could’ve hoped for. Having said that, the Spurs won’t let their win-loss record to strictly dictate their movements.

The midseason trade in the championship year of 2005 was made when the Spurs had a 42-13 record and the second-best record in their conference.

While the rest of the NBA is trying to chase them, the Spurs will have more pressing matters. Is their current playing group good enough to get them over the hump? Or is a mid-season move necessary to take that next step?

exstatic
12-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Wow. what a piece of shit article. The Spurs are NEVER in win now mode. They have a program, keep their contracts pretty clean for the most part, and try to always stay flexible. Win now teams often take on horrible deals to "make it happen" in the very short term.

spurraider21
12-29-2016, 09:21 PM
:lmao Jackie macmullan

Robz4000
12-29-2016, 09:26 PM
:lmao both those trades. I'm for moving Gasol for the right price or even LMA, but God bless.

Hoops Czar
Wow. what a piece of shit article. The Spurs are NEVER in win now mode. They have a program, keep their contracts pretty clean for the most part, and try to always stay flexible. Win now teams often take on horrible deals to "make it happen" in the very short term.

Just like Richard Jefferson and LMA, right?

Mr. Body
Those are shitty trade ideas.

TheGreatYacht
12-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Stopped reading at

• always in win-now mode

Spurs trade: Pau Gasol, Bryn Forbes, 2017 First round pick
Spurs receive: TOSB Bogut, TOSB Deron Williams

:lmao

100%duncan
12-29-2016, 10:11 PM
lol what a piece of shit article

GSH
12-29-2016, 10:17 PM
If the Spurs were just Thaaaat close to winning it all, and a single player could put them over the top, that would be one thing. I don't think they are. I don't think that they think they are.

Nazr was good that first year, and made enough difference. Kurt Thomas was a bit of a disappointment, but it was the right idea. You should note that they are both big men. It's still a big man's game, no matter what people say about "today's NBA". That's why they went so hard after Pau.

I said from pre-season that they were weak at the 1 and the 5. Pau would have had to exceed expectations, because they couldn't really improve at the point. Tony isn't horrible, but he's not the PG of a championship team. So unless Tony gets moved to the bench, AND patty exceeds expectations? This isn't a championship year. I don't think a single trade could offset shortcomings at two different positions.

BTW - if I remember right, the OP has made some solid posts. Especially as new posters go. He/she doesn't have to be right all the time. Nobody is. But I appreciate someone who is talking hoops from a reasonable perspective, even if I disagree. Most serious trades never happen, so you could argue with every proposal and look like you know something.

pgardn
12-29-2016, 10:21 PM
We lie in wait for injuries this year.

On contending teams.

Then we strike like the viper of 2014.

exstatic
12-29-2016, 10:23 PM
We lie in wait for injuries this year.

On contending teams.

Then we strike like the viper of 2014.

With a bit more work, you could have made that into a haiku...

GSH
12-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Stopped reading at

• always in win-now mode

If the Spurs aren't in win-now mode this year, then they are wasting a year of LMA/Kawhi. If that's the case, they should have tanked, and taken the year to re-build. If you aren't all-out to win it all, then you aren't going to win it all.

I really thought that the Spurs should have taken this season to rebuild. But that's because I'm thinking in terms of championships. If the goal is making the playoffs, maybe making a stand in the second round, and taking care of players that have a part in our history? Then this year was perfectly played.

Either way, changing horses in mid-stream doesn't make sense. I don't think that there is a single trade (or any trade) that will make up all the shortcomings of this roster. Ride what's here, and enjoy it.

Kawhitstorm
12-29-2016, 10:38 PM
Spurs trade: Pau Gasol, Bryn Forbes, 2017 First round pick
Spurs receive: TOSB Bogut, TOSB Deron Williams

:lmao

That's actually not too bad if you swap Shit Head instead of the 1st rd pick & got a 2nd rd pick in return.:lol

GaSoft might be trying to opt-in so might as well get rid of him for two expiring contracts that would be useful as a one year rental.

Lee/Bogut played well together in Golden State & Dedmon has been the best pairing alongside Softridge this season.:wow

SpurPadre
12-29-2016, 10:41 PM
That's actually not too bad if you swap Shit Head instead of the 1st rd pick & got a 2nd rd pick in return.:lol

GaSoft might be trying to opt-in so might as well get rid of him for two expiring contract that might would be useful as a one year rental.

Lee/Bogut played well together in Golden State & Dedmon has been the best pairing alongside Softridge this season.:wow

This. Don't know why people are acting like Pau is suddenly 26 years old again and Forbes has morphed into Curry.

TheGreatYacht
12-29-2016, 11:05 PM

GaSoft might be trying to opt-in so might as well get rid of him for two expiring contracts that would be useful as a one year rental.

I don't know why you keep thinking going thru a lottery team's garbage is a good idea :lol

Have you seen the Mavs or Suns this season?

The guys you want, TOSB Chandler and TOSB Bogut, don't even average ONE block a game. They also most certainly don't bring shit on the other end of the ball..

Lets also not get into Deron Williams who is currently leading the 29th worst offense in the league. After shooting 38.7% from the floor two seasons ago he's followed it up with 41.4% & 40.3% shooting seasons. Him and Bogut have the durability of late 2000's Yao Ming.

FkLA
12-29-2016, 11:06 PM

This. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd dislike the MVPau signing but I actually hate it. His defense even more frustrating to watch than Enrique's defense. I wouldn't even care if Bogut or Williams contributed.

Chinook
12-29-2016, 11:07 PM
The Bogut trade is awful. No way should the Spurs give up a pick for that. The LMA trade is actually pretty good value, if you believe that Pau can do most of what LMA can do and Ibaka can fit with the lineup. I'm not a huge fan of those young guys from Orlando, though. I'd hope the team would then move those guys for something else, like an unprotected high-first from Philly or Boston.

The idea of moving a front-court piece for another feels ridiculous to me, though. And honestly, the idea of getting weaker in a trade does too. The Spurs are easily the third-most likely team to win the LOB this season. NOTHING about this year should have made people more pessimistic about their chances of unseating GS. Their weaknesses look so much more pronounced than their improvements. If Kawhi and LMA both play the way they should on offense, it'd be a hell of a series. Cleveland only looks like a juggernaut because there's only one player in the league who can guard Lebron.

I don't see there being any way in hell the Spurs make a deal using their top nine rotation players. They don't have the salary to make a huge move otherwise, but I could seem them doing something.

gospursgojas
12-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Stopped reading at:

by Simon Smith 12 hours agoFollow SimonABenedict

http://hoopshabit.com/2016/12/29/san-antonio-spurs-mid-season-trade/

FkLA
12-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Stopped reading at:

by Simon Smith 12 hours agoFollow Simon (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=12749)ABenedict

http://hoopshabit.com/2016/12/29/san-antonio-spurs-mid-season-trade/

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/685262730102607873/XqL8Y0q4.jpg

Spur|n|Austin
12-29-2016, 11:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/685262730102607873/XqL8Y0q4.jpg

From his bio:

It just so happened to be that I was in Miami on the day that LeBron James announced that he was taking his talents to South Beach. It seemed as good a reason as any to begin following the Heat, and having visited the city now on multiple occasions, I am now officially a die-hard Heat supporter.

http://hoopshabit.com/author/ssmith/

SpurPadre
12-29-2016, 11:42 PM
Simmons, Anderson and Forbes for Sefolosha...come on Bud, take it!

baseline bum
12-30-2016, 12:06 AM
What a stupid article. Without Kurt Thomas the Spurs would have had a nightmare matchup with Phoenix that year. Maybe people forgot just how badly Oberto got punked by Shaq back in that era but it was ugly. And the Spurs got Barry back anyways, they knew he would be waived when they made the trade. And then the Jackson trade wasn't about Jackson. It was addition by subtraction by dumping a net negative but still name player on a terrible contract to open up playing time for Kawhi once the team saw how good he was becoming. Jackson was just matching salary. The fact that he was actually pretty cold blooded in the playoffs that year (Jack shot 60.5% from the three point line) was just gravy on top of an already amazing trade for the franchise.

Bogut and Williams is the stupidest thing I have ever read. :lmao

What the fuck does this team need two Tony Parkers for?

FkLA
12-30-2016, 12:17 AM
From his bio:

http://hoopshabit.com/author/ssmith/

lol smh

cutewizard
12-30-2016, 12:27 AM
With a bit more work, you could have made that into a haiku...

---------------------------------------------

Lemme try:

LYING IN WAIT

FOR INJURED PREY

THE VIPER STRIKES.

cjw
12-30-2016, 01:04 AM
Trading away LMA's cheap contract for Ibaka who some team is going to pay a stupid amount of money to?

And Gasol for Bogut/Deron is bad enough, but having to sweeten the pot with a first rounder??

Simmons, Anderson and Forbes for Sefolosha...come on Bud, take it!

Now THIS is something I could get behind. Simmons will get a deal somewhere, and Forbes is a huge project. Would all depend on whether or not they've moved on from Anderson.

james evans
12-30-2016, 01:22 AM
Whatever happens, I just hope Gasol is gone

ceperez
12-30-2016, 09:59 AM
I like the idea of trading for Ibaka and even Bogut.

Spurs defense is pathetic because they don't have good rim protection when guards funnel their man to the paint.

BTW....that Ibaka Gordon for Aldridge trade was my idea that I posted a while back ago!

cd98
12-30-2016, 10:17 AM
I think it would be a mistake for the Spurs to trade any first round picks. This roster doesn't need any trades unless there is a clear no brainer trade. None of the proposed trades make sense for a title contender.

cd98
12-30-2016, 10:19 AM
Also, for everything Bogut may give you on defense (assume he doesn't get injured), he kills you on offense. Pau has the capacity to learn the team defense and be an adequate rim protector, but Bogut will always be a huge liability on offense.

ceperez
12-30-2016, 10:34 AM
Also, for everything Bogut may give you on defense (assume he doesn't get injured), he kills you on offense. Pau has the capacity to learn the team defense and be an adequate rim protector, but Bogut will always be a huge liability on offense.

What about the Ibaka for Aldridge idea. Ibaka will still give you a 3 point shot and better rim protection. However, he's not going to be effective like Aldridge with back to the basket plays.

Russ
12-30-2016, 12:05 PM
How about player development. Bogans. Simmons. Even Murray.

In the tradition of Mills, Green and Jack, one or more of them will have to step up for the Spurs to have any chance.

james evans
12-30-2016, 12:24 PM
What about the Ibaka for Aldridge idea. Ibaka will still give you a 3 point shot and better rim protection. However, he's not going to be effective like Aldridge with back to the basket plays.
Ibaka only kills us on offense regularly. Don't let that shit fool you. If we get that fucker he would suck just as bad as RJ

Chinook
12-30-2016, 12:26 PM

In the tradition of Mills, Green and Jack, one or more of them will have to step up for the Spurs to have any chance.

Bogans, eh?

Darius Bieber
12-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Shit, me and RobDiaz could produce better Spurs coverage than this garbage.

r0drig0lac
12-30-2016, 12:29 PM
even a st poster would have made it better

Darius Bieber
12-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Bogans, eh?

Keith making a comeback.

Joseph Kony
12-30-2016, 12:36 PM
What a terrible write up. Those trades are laughable. Bogut would be decent if he's healthy but wouldn't trade much for him outside of KA tbh

james evans
12-30-2016, 12:37 PM
What a terrible write up. Those trades are laughable. Bogut would be decent if he's healthy but wouldn't trade much for him outside of KA tbh
i agree. Bogut every game is one fall from being out for the rest of the season.

LittleCriminal
12-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Anderson/forbes for Pj Tucker would be nice.

SpursIndonesia
12-30-2016, 12:41 PM

We might see a more effective Verde, MVPatty, or even Kawhi with those dirty yet never called picks & screens Bogut provided. And he's not too shabby as a roll man for TP & Manu PnR game. Another side of the coin, i guess.

If he can go Dirkbaka in the playoff, that would be good enough to redeem some offensive production loss, and Pau might like the chance to hoard all the big man post up opportunities without LMA to compete against.

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2016, 02:06 PM
I don't know why you keep thinking going thru a lottery team's garbage is a good idea :lol

Last I checked Dedmon was rotting on the bench on a lotto team.:wakeup

Have you seen the Mavs or Suns this season?

Did you see the Magic last season?:sleep

The guys you want, TOSB Chandler and TOSB Bogut don't even average ONE block a game. They also most certainly don't bring shit on the other end of the ball..

TOSB Chandler aka high IQ DeAndre:

-Better finisher than DeAndre: http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/#!?sort=TS_PCT&dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*10
-Just as good a rebounder as DeAndre: http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/#!?sort=REB_PCT&dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*10
-FYI: Chandler has NEVER been a guy that camps in the paint & block hunts like Whiteside but rather he's a mobile center who plays team defense like Chris Bosh. He only averaged 1.1 blocks during the Mavs championship season & recently he has been playing on shitty defensive teams who make him look bad similar to Kawhi this season.:rolleyes

TOSB Bogut aka closest thing to TOSB Timmay:

-Leads the league in defensive rating: http://stats.nba.com/players/defense/#!?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=1&CF=GP*GE*18:MIN*GE*24&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season
-4th in the league in block percentage,:crybut he doesn't block shots:cry: http://stats.nba.com/players/defense/#!?sort=PCT_BLK&dir=-1&CF=GP*GE*18:MIN*GE*24&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season
-2nd in the league in defensive rebounding: http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/#!?sort=DREB_PCT&dir=1&CF=MIN*GE*10:DREB_PCT*GE*30&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season
-Leads the league in charges drawn: http://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/#!?sort=CHARGES_DRAWN&dir=1
-FYI: Bogut can actually score in the post w/ simply hook-shots similar to Robin Lopez who man handled Pau in the paint. He can pass as well as Pau & set MUCH better screens similar to Timmay. Besides, he can actually catch lobs unlike TOSB Timmay who himself couldn't score outside the paint.:lol

Lets also not get into Deron Williams who is currently leading the 29th worst offense in the league.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's his fault the best player on the Mavs is Harrison Barnes.:lol

After shooting 38.7% from the floor two seasons ago he's followed it up with 41.4% & 40.3% shooting seasons

Yeah, he was getting the same WIDE OPEN looks Simmons/Fat Head get on a regular basis & pass up.:rolleyes Why don't you check Marco's shooting percentage w/ the Kings after he shot a career high w/ the Spurs the previous season.:lol

All they need is Deron running PnP's w/ Softrigde:

Among players that try to score in at least 5 PnR possessions where they are the ball handler, Deron is ranked 5th in EFG% basically tied w/ :wowLillard/Harden:wow: http://stats.nba.com/players/ball-ha...&CF=PossG*GE*5 (http://stats.nba.com/players/ball-handler/#%21?sort=aFG&dir=1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=PossG*GE*5)

Him and Bogut have the durability of late 2000's Yao Ming.

As if your boy Porker is any more durable.:lmao

DAF86
12-30-2016, 02:14 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jg9wa6b

Paul George, Jeff Teague, Monta Ellis and Al Jefferson for Aldridge, Parker, Gasol and a first rounder.

San Antonio gets: The best player in the trade and a starting caliber PG.

Indiana gets: To shake things up, an all-star level PF, a first rounder and the chance to get rid of two awful contracts like Montas and Jeffersons.

I know this shit has no chance of happening, but how do you feel about this trade for the Spurs?

Rotation for the Spurs:

SL: Teague, Green, Kawhi, George, Dedmon
2U: Mills, Manu, Monta/Simmons, Lee/Bertans, Jefferson

spurs1990
12-30-2016, 05:41 PM
The San Antonio Spurs are currently second in the Western Conference and are heading for another 50-win season.

Speaking of wins - they would have to go 33-17 to not win 60 games this year.

I went through the next 50 game schedule and I barely see 13 likely losses.

cd98
12-30-2016, 06:04 PM

Ibaka is a free agent next year which means it's either a one year rental or we'd have to max him to keep him. Ibaka isn't a max player. If you don't want LMA bc he costs too much, not sure why you'd want Ibaka. Plus getting Ibaka would cost us a first rounder.

south side spur
12-30-2016, 06:35 PM
Ibaka is a free agent next year which means it's either a one year rental or we'd have to max him to keep him. Ibaka isn't a max player. If you don't want LMA bc he costs too much, not sure why you'd want Ibaka. Plus getting Ibaka would cost us a first rounder.

So this is why I posted this article for the most part. I was intrigued by that Orlando deal. I haven't really kept up with Orlando so I was surprised Hezonja had fallen out of the rotation. Again, I wasn't around this board much for that 2015 draft but the proposed trade has him coming to the Spurs as well.

Are we saying scouts missed that bad on this kid or is it just the fact that he's only 21 and not being developed properly. Would he be a steal in this deal? How high were the Spurs on this kid Hezonja?

Essentially, it would be Ibaka for Aldridge with Ibaka's contract coming off the books so that gives the Spurs cap flexibility and the first rounder which will be what? 28? 29? This Hezonja kid isn't even worth THAT?

SAGirl
12-30-2016, 06:42 PM
I doubt it.
In all likelihood any trades are happening in the off-season...

Russ
12-30-2016, 06:45 PM

Perhaps celebrating the New Year too soon.

Bertans, I meant.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Trade Leonard for a dominant big man?

MaNu4Tres
12-30-2016, 06:57 PM

Plus, Ibaka is really 30-31 years old, not 27. :lol

BillMc
12-30-2016, 07:02 PM
Plus, Ibaka is really 40-51 years old, not 27. :lol FIFY :lol

99 Problems
12-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Can't see it happening unless something big time fell into our lap. If anything short term it'll be more like A TMac, Butler backup to backup the backups tbh.