PDA

View Full Version : Were you ever financially broke?

InRareForm
12-30-2016, 05:41 PM
what did you do? How did you cope

SpursforSix
12-30-2016, 06:47 PM
what did you do? How did you cope

Do you have a job?

Xevious
12-31-2016, 12:22 AM
What's your definition of broke? I've been deeply in debt and living paycheck to paycheck. So I stopped doing stupid shit. I worked more hours, stopped financing shit including cars, and now live below my means. I have no payments now except my house and save money every month.

Gummi Clutch
12-31-2016, 12:45 AM
parents

Mitch
12-31-2016, 01:09 AM
Yeah, parents couldn't help me pay for university and had to work hard to just be able to study. First year was borderline poverty, tbh

DJR210
12-31-2016, 12:36 PM
I go to the foodbank w/ GuitarDude27

apalisoc_9
12-31-2016, 02:59 PM
Parents..easily.

It's hard to be broke for a long time in a first worl ld country. If you're broke in a first world country for a significant amount of time, you're probably either too lazy or db as bricks .

Thread
12-31-2016, 03:06 PM
There is nothing worse than losing money, or, dieing.

SpursforSix
12-31-2016, 04:35 PM
There is nothing worse than losing money, or, dieing.

I would think watching a loved one (particularly a child) suffer significant mental or physical trauma is well ahead of losing money and probably death.

DMC
12-31-2016, 09:35 PM
We start off broke but I've not been in financial trouble since college. I never tried to live above my means, not because I am so responsible but because most of the shit people spend money on doesn't impress me. I don't see a 60K car sitting in the driveway, I see 60K sitting in the driveway. I'd rather it be in my bank. It also helps to have a career where a lot of your expenses are paid, where you can make more money if you work harder/smarter. People locked into salaries work harder to get promoted and small raises, but try to maneuver into a situation that enables you to make more money if possible.

Gummi Clutch
12-31-2016, 09:51 PM
We start off broke but I've not been in financial trouble since college. I never tried to live above my means, not because I am so responsible but because most of the shit people spend money on doesn't impress me. I don't see a 60K car sitting in the driveway, I see 60K sitting in the driveway. I'd rather it be in my bank. It also helps to have a career where a lot of your expenses are paid, where you can make more money if you work harder/smarter. People locked into salaries work harder to get promoted and small raises, but try to maneuver into a situation that enables you to make more money if possible.
Hard to hold alot of cash with small hands tbh

BD24
01-01-2017, 01:26 AM
I wasnt broke per say, but after I first graduated college and moved to Texas I was more or less living pay check to pay check. My account could never get above a grand, was making just enough to cover my bills, food, and essentials. Basically didnt spend money I didnt have like some dumb shits, lived in a cheap one bedroom apartment that I split with my now wife, didnt finance much.

Its now 3 years later and we are living debt free except for our mortgage. I was a home owner at age 25 a few years after I was broke because I was able to save so much money by not spending in excess of what I made.

Gummi Clutch
01-01-2017, 01:44 AM
I wasnt broke per say, but after I first graduated college and moved to Texas I was more or less living pay check to pay check. My account could never get above a grand, was making just enough to cover my bills, food, and essentials. Basically didnt spend money I didnt have like some dumb shits, lived in a cheap one bedroom apartment that I split with my now wife, didnt finance much.

Its now 3 years later and we are living debt free except for our mortgage. I was a home owner at age 25 a few years after I was broke because I was able to save so much money by not spending in excess of what I made.
sounds dumb, but could you break your expenses down, like food etc?

BD24
01-03-2017, 01:40 PM
sounds dumb, but could you break your expenses down, like food etc?
Now or then? I am still pretty good with my money, but spend more loosely now than I did then as I make quite a bit more money than I did at that time

Avante
01-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Right out of HS and just before I joined the navy there was about a time there where I once only had a box of crackers and some peanut butter to eat, I was on the E and not a dime to my name.

I was living in a garage paying 35 bucks a monrth to an old lady.

clambake
01-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Right out of HS and just before I joined the navy there was about a time there where I once only had a box of crackers and some peanut butter to eat, I was on the E and not a dime to my name.

and that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it started.

Avante
01-03-2017, 03:47 PM
and that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it started.

Do you ever talk about the thread title? Why not do that instead of worrying so much about other posters?

Ever thought of you actually starting a thread?

CavsSuperFan
01-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Financially broke? It is what Baby Boomers’ called normal…All of us struggled but we did not blame the rich for our problems…Instead we worked several jobs & worked our way out of it…Something Bernie Sanders & his following will never understand….

I. Hustle
01-04-2017, 11:55 AM
I was broke as hell after my divorce. I was stupid and got married at 20 and divorced by 24. The witch put me in debt and faded away while I was stuck with a house payment and other debt. Luckily, I was never an idiot and my house was mostly paid for as I saved a ton before getting married and put all of it down on the house. My car was a POS but was paid off. Still for a single dude that didn't make a ton of money, it was all adding up. I was scrounging up change and eating PB&J ( I HATE peanut butter) or bologna sandwiches and drinking nothing but water.
I went to work at a regular job, after that I went to work at a video store until closing and did some construction on the weekends.

I did that until I paid of my debt and got caught up. Then my place became the party place and I got to enjoy myself a little.

If you don't bust your ass when push comes to shove then don't whine to me.

G-Nob
01-04-2017, 02:52 PM
www.everydollar.com
Budget, budget, budget.

resistanze
01-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Financially broke? It is what Baby Boomers’ called normal…

:lmao

DJR210
01-04-2017, 05:37 PM

aka spent all your money on underage whores

LaMarcus Bryant
01-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Got 400k worth of debt, breh

Cry Havoc
01-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Financially broke? It is what Baby Boomers’ called normal…All of us struggled but we did not blame the rich for our problems…Instead we worked several jobs & worked our way out of it…Something Bernie Sanders & his following will never understand….

Ah yes, the ol "we pulled ourselves up by our boot straps" motto.

Nevermind the fact that Boomers inherited the most prosperous time in American history from "The Greatest Generation" and pissed it completely down the toilet on entitlement spending and trickle-down economics.

"We worked our way out of it by destroying the prosperity that was there and saddling the next 2-3 generations with debt from all of our terrible decisions."

Way to go, boomers!

tlongII
01-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Only spiritually.

01-04-2017, 08:19 PM

Nevermind the fact that Boomers inherited the most prosperous time in American history from "The Greatest Generation" and pissed it completely down the toilet on entitlement spending and trickle-down economics.

"We worked our way out of it by destroying the prosperity that was there and saddling the next 2-3 generations with debt from all of our terrible decisions."

Way to go, boomers!
:lol damn

BD24
01-04-2017, 08:54 PM

Way to go, boomers!
:toast

lefty20
01-05-2017, 12:49 AM
Got 400k worth of debt, breh

What's the square footage?

Billy Costigan
01-05-2017, 12:57 AM

Way to go, boomers!

:tu Baby Boomers are easily the wort generation in America's history. Sucking at the government's teat all their lives and not seeing the irony of pointing the finger at Millenials :lol

Billy Costigan
01-05-2017, 12:59 AM

Thankfully, you and your ilk will be dead soon, then maybe we can bring this country out of the tailspin you put it into.