PDA

View Full Version : I want Manu back for another year, tbh..

spursistan
12-30-2016, 11:02 PM
for the minimum, why not?

Still ball of energy and showing utmost competitive fire at near 40.. in the thick of almost every Spurs comeback; when things are down this nigga (+ LDN/Paddy at times) is just gonna try to pull us back for good or bad..

I need this nigga back as long as soft fucks like LMA/Pau are still part of this team..

100%duncan
12-30-2016, 11:02 PM
I think we all wanted him back but not for the money he has

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2016, 11:03 PM
https://d1sui4xqepm0ps.cloudfront.net/is-this-meme-racist-full.jpg?image=cdn

HarlemHeat37
12-30-2016, 11:04 PM
Too early, have to see how he looks in May, tbh..

Parker and Ginobili are still the vocal leaders on the team, though, which counts for something, even when they're struggling..

ElNono
Gonna be expensive tbh

Nathan89
Still a solid bench player and helps push the Spurs culture on to the new players. I'd take him back for another year as well.

GSH
12-30-2016, 11:06 PM
I want him to get through this season healthy.

If he does, and he'll take a salary that won't cripple cap space? Sure.

As old as he is, and the way he keeps playing, I have this fear that he's going to go out on a season/career ending injury. That would be a shame.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-30-2016, 11:08 PM
Well the alternatives for his spot would likely be Simmons, a rookie or a vet min guy.

ducks
12-30-2016, 11:10 PM
8 million maybe not one penny more

MI21
12-30-2016, 11:12 PM
He has looked particularly engaged these last few games, not sure why he is going so hard during late December games, enjoyable to watch though.

NASpurs
12-30-2016, 11:13 PM
8 million maybe not one penny more

This fucker would had given a prime Manu 8 million a year in today's money :lol

SpurPadre
12-30-2016, 11:14 PM
I want Manu to be Pop's successor, tbh.

YGWHI
12-30-2016, 11:16 PM
He has looked particularly engaged these last few games, not sure why he is going so hard during late December games, enjoyable to watch though.

These last few games were against the Suns, the worst team in the West, and the Blazers, the worst defense in the league.

I'd say the same for Parker. We can't jump into conclusions about them if they're playing shitty teams.

MI21
12-30-2016, 11:18 PM
These last few games were against the Suns, the worst team in the West, and the Blazers, the worst defense in the league.

I'd say the same for Parker. We can't jump into conclusions about them if they're playing shitty teams.

Yeah, I get that, all the more reason to relax and not go flying around and dunking :lol

Perhaps they are looking to build confidence against lower teams and try and carry that in against quality teams. Just weird to see them going all out against cellar dwellers.

marinoman
12-30-2016, 11:22 PM
If you listen closely you can hear hater slitting his wrists

daledondale
12-30-2016, 11:22 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/TTzFBvnxaqT8l_kdmMLoYHkn-UQDyv6a11pXn8SDPsH9QFwEIuQmKzKwDTzf87H4AgD4R2fTgpy Lof9VpiOetg=s200
http://mobilwi.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6dde087970b017d4017ee78970c-pi

Mr. Body
12-30-2016, 11:23 PM
He's never coming back for the minimum.

Ron Swanson
12-30-2016, 11:24 PM
Timmy played when he was 40. Manu can play when's 40.

That means Tony will play until he's 40.

RIP SpursTalk

DPG21920
12-30-2016, 11:27 PM
Manu has had some ridiculously high highs and low lows. He's looked absoultely done many times, even with heavily managed minutes. He's also looked great on numerous occasions now.

ElNono
12-30-2016, 11:30 PM
First rule about Manu: you don't worry about Manu

RD2191
12-30-2016, 11:34 PM
If you listen closely you can hear hater slitting his wrists
:lol

GSH
12-30-2016, 11:37 PM
Manu has had some ridiculously high highs and low lows. He's looked absoultely done many times, even with heavily managed minutes. He's also looked great on numerous occasions now.

LOL. How many seasons in a row could you have made that exact same post. :lol

Even when he has several bad outings, and I start thinking he's done, part of me still thinks he's going to rise from the dead and look like he's 30 again. I can't help myself.

r0drig0lac
12-30-2016, 11:52 PM
I agree, if it were not possible, Tyreke Evans would be my favorite

Chinook
12-31-2016, 12:01 AM
It's too early to talk about next year. Manu has to show up in the playoffs first.

Pauleta14
12-31-2016, 12:10 AM
The minimum?? WTF...

This forum has no respect :lol

Pauleta14
12-31-2016, 12:12 AM
It's too early to talk about next year. Manu has to show up in the playoffs first.

He doesn't have to prove anything...

He just needs to be healthy

Chinook
12-31-2016, 12:13 AM
He doesn't have to prove anything...

He just needs to be healthy

Of course he has to prove he's not done. This is a future contract we're talking about, not a past legacy.

cjw
12-31-2016, 12:14 AM
The minimum?? WTF...

This forum has no respect :lol

I think the argument is that he made more than market this year, so should take less next year (kind of a wink-wink where he makes $7.5mm for each of this year and next instead of $14 and $1mm. That said, he's been terribly underpaid his whole career, so assuming the Spurs are operating above the salary cap next year, they should give him whatever he wants.

SAGirl
12-31-2016, 12:34 AM
Enjoy these games.
My Crystal ball has said he's retiring and I had the same feeling about Tim last season.

spursistan
12-31-2016, 12:37 AM
Enjoy these games.
My Crystal ball has said he's retiring and I had the same feeling about Tim last season.

:depressed

12-31-2016, 12:38 AM
It's December :lol

Pauleta14
12-31-2016, 12:39 AM
Chinook

IF he is healthy Manu in invaluable, you don't seem to realise what he brings...

It's not all about stats, he makes his teammates better, he is a constant threat on offence AND defence, he is an X factor and part of the soul of this team.

You don't find that kind of IQ and passion/will to win everywhere...

So again IF he is healthy, signing him is a no brainer to me.

And I'm not a player fan btw :lol

From Downtown
12-31-2016, 08:59 AM

To be fair in the last 3-4 weeks we've been getting good or at least serviceable Manu most of the games
But I agree it's too early to judge, and also we are not sre about what HE wants to do

wildbill2u
12-31-2016, 09:30 AM

"Because he's Manu Ginobilli"

exstatic
12-31-2016, 10:07 AM
Tim looked wonderful last year, too, until his other wheel fell off in February.

CGD
12-31-2016, 11:21 AM
Absolutely! He's the heart and soul of the team, even if in spot minutes he can add value when healthy.

dabom
12-31-2016, 05:18 PM
I think the argument is that he made more than market this year, so should take less next year (kind of a wink-wink where he makes $7.5mm for each of this year and next instead of $14 and $1mm. That said, he's been terribly underpaid his whole career, so assuming the Spurs are operating above the salary cap next year, they should give him whatever he wants.

He took a payout actually. ElNono :lol

Spurtacular
12-31-2016, 05:31 PM
In a perfect world, Manu resigns for whatever, Tim comes back, and the Spurs cut Parker.

ElNono
12-31-2016, 07:25 PM
He took a payout actually. ElNono :lol

Warrier tbh

spursistan
02-07-2017, 10:02 AM
http://cdn.ipernity.com/200/95/14/40909514.d8bdfd1f.560.jpg?r2

Shooting a career best from 3pt (41.7%) and looking the healthiest I have seen in him 3 years (let it be no jinx, tbh)..

SAGirl
02-07-2017, 11:06 AM
If he's in a small contract that will leave budget to get a player who doesn't need minutes managed, rest games, etc. Then sure. At an overpaid rate where he's going to have to be surrounded by youngsters bc Spurs can't afford to pay someone who is going to be consistent? No. Consider what happens this season if the Spurs were unable to get Lee (he took a minimum contract and can get more. No way was that a predictable move).

Anyways, it's better to just enjoy MVPelon when he has a good game bc I do think he's retiring.

spursistan
02-07-2017, 11:15 AM
If he's in a small contract that will leave budget to get a player who doesn't need minutes managed, rest games, etc. Then sure. At an overpaid rate where he's going to have to be surrounded by youngsters bc Spurs can't afford to pay someone who is going to be consistent? No. Consider what happens this season if the Spurs were unable to get Lee (he took a minimum contract and can get more. No way was that a predictable move).

Anyways, it's better to just enjoy MVPelon when he has a good game bc I do think he's retiring.

Someone just put me in the loop as to how and why Manu earned this weird nickname the past few weeks?:lol

ElNono
02-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Someone just put me in the loop as to how and why Manu earned this weird nickname the past few weeks?:lol

I was looking for a nickname that started with P (for MVP) and I know we have a rather large messican contingent here that would get a chuckle out of it... :lol

Ice009
02-07-2017, 09:16 PM
There is no reason for him not to come back. Surely, he will get a much lower contract if he wants to come back. This current one didn't cost the Spurs anyone as they could go over the cap to offer it.

sasaint
02-07-2017, 10:26 PM

I am really torn. If he were to return next season as a strictly spot-up 3-point shooter, then I would welcome Manu back. But I do not believe Manu could curb his penchant for driving and "playmaking". I am tired of watching a Manu in denial trying to do things most nights that he simply is not capable of doing any more. He is committing more turnovers and getting blocked more at the rim. Some games I would rather see Danny handling the ball! But what really concerns me is this: I think his presence on the team will retard the development of younger guys that represent the future of the Spurs. Not only does Manu seem incapable of deferring, but Pop will continue to go to him rather than develop the young guys. Having developed so few young guys through the years, the Spurs are faced with a rather difficult task of having to develop a couple (or a few) young guys all at once.

TheGreatYacht
02-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Lmao at anyone expecting Manu to take a discount and a smaller role. You played yourself

SAGirl
02-07-2017, 11:47 PM
I am really torn. Ifhe were to return next season as a strictly spot-up 3-point shooter, then I would welcome Manu back. But I do not believe Manu could curb his penchant for driving and "playmaking". I am tired of watching a Manu in denial trying to do things most nights that he simply is not capable of doing any more. He is committing more turnovers and getting blocked more at the rim. Some games I would rather see Danny handling the ball! But what really concerns me is this: I think his presence on the team will retard the development of younger guys that represent the future of the Spurs. Not only does Manu seem incapable of deferring, but Pop will continue to go to him rather than develop the young guys. Having developed so few young guys through the years, the Spurs are faced with a rather difficult task of having to develop a couple (or a few) young guys all at once.

I totally agree with you, not trolling here. Pop will also keep going to him so long as he's in the team too. I am aware however that his competitive spirit is like no other and same as Tim, when he's gone we will miss him. There will be no other MVPelon.

You may be higher on Simmons than I am though. If their answer to the bench is Manu one more season plus Simmons.. then I am not on board. I think Simmons will get paid, he has earned it and it is hard to say how much. I do think however that he's an inconsistent player who, when pressing the issue is incredibly prone to mistakes and getting striped still and he is too inconsistent with his jumper to be a guy around which others play in the bench. I may be mistaken in this evaluation bc he has shown some improvement but he's incredibly inconsistent as a scorer and so up and down that his age combined with what he has shown so far tells me that he's more likely to come in playing like he did against Memphis last night than the way he did against GSW in the season opener any regular night. In fact the GSW game is the only one of it's nature this season... and he statpads in garbage time a lot. Games like the one against Memphis tell me more about him and what he can do against real competition than garbage time statpadding. I would rather if the Spurs are going to pay someone that they get someone better personally.

He was to me the worst perimeter player for the Spurs the last game (save Dijon's terrible 3 minute stint in which he got stripped thrice and missed the one shot he took)... anyways, I want the Spurs to get someone better and more consistent for their bench... who is young enough that Pop doesn't need to rest him every other game and manage or restrict his minutes even when the team is losing just bc he's 40 and his body cannot in all consciousness handle it. Dijon is going to require time to reach his ceiling and I think Spurs could use someone who is going to be there to help things in the bench.

I don't know if they will retain Patty either, I thought initially they would, but now I am unsure. He's not the answer in the bench post Ginobili, specially if he gets a massive contract... but he may. Never underestimate Pop and his loyalties though.

It's really whether Pop will adjust Manu's role and whether adjusting his role to the point Manu is not Manu that makes me wonder if that is even worth it for Manu. I do believe when he reaches a point that he cannot be himself on the court it is time to retire (it's what Timmy did). Manu is close to that point... so very close he looks very much done in some games and that cannot be fun for him. He's still got the Pelotas though and can make game swinging plays. If it comes to it, I'd like him back while Dijon is worked in for example. The Mills vs Simmons vs a FA, Dedmon or Lee debate is for RC in the offseason.

ElNono
02-08-2017, 12:04 AM
I am really torn. If he were to return next season as a strictly spot-up 3-point shooter, then I would welcome Manu back. But I do not believe Manu could curb his penchant for driving and "playmaking". I am tired of watching a Manu in denial trying to do things most nights that he simply is not capable of doing any more. He is committing more turnovers and getting blocked more at the rim. Some games I would rather see Danny handling the ball! But what really concerns me is this: I think his presence on the team will retard the development of younger guys that represent the future of the Spurs. Not only does Manu seem incapable of deferring, but Pop will continue to go to him rather than develop the young guys. Having developed so few young guys through the years, the Spurs are faced with a rather difficult task of having to develop a couple (or a few) young guys all at once.

You shouldn't be torn at all. The Spurs are developing players (like Simmons, who plays at his position, SG and exactly 0.4 mins less per game than Manu this season). Manu just has a relatively high usage (albeit in low minutes), simply because he's still a net positive out there. Even if Manu retires, I don't think it's automatic that, say, Murray takes his minutes. I think Murray's situation is more closely tied to what PATFO does over the summer with Patty.

What some of you need to realize is that the Spurs are not really rebuilding. Time for the younger guys will come here and there, and they need to show they've earned it. Take last season for example. The Spurs could've given more run to Kyle or Simmons, but PATFO brought in 33 years old Kevin Martin mid-season instead. If you want Pop to play the kids more, they either need to be extremely good, or wait until the team is tanking, tbh.

I've no idea what Manu is going to do, tbh, he probably doesn't know either. But it wouldn't be surprising at all if PATFO goes out there and gets another vet if he retires. They get to look at the kids plenty during the season and practice, they know what they have, what they can trot out there and not.

Ice009
02-08-2017, 05:09 AM
I've got a bit of a crazy idea, kind of fell asleep and woke up with it. In the playoffs, can we just start Manu at PG against the Clippers or Warriors if we play either of those teams? Since both TP and Mills' defense sucks ass, I really think Manu can start against either of those teams and do a better job if he continues shooting the 3 ball like he has been so far this season. I think he can also play better defense on their PGs than either Mills or TP.

Robz4000
02-08-2017, 05:16 AM
:lol he isn't coming back. Just enjoy him (or hate him) while you can...

kuato
02-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Manu is doing a great job with the 2nd unit, when he is on the team everybody defends, even Kawhy improves his performance when Manu is playing.

sasaint
02-08-2017, 10:12 AM
You shouldn't be torn at all. The Spurs are developing players (like Simmons, who plays at his position, SG and exactly 0.4 mins less per game than Manu this season). Manu just has a relatively high usage (albeit in low minutes), simply because he's still a net positive out there. Even if Manu retires, I don't think it's automatic that, say, Murray takes his minutes. I think Murray's situation is more closely tied to what PATFO does over the summer with Patty.

What some of you need to realize is that the Spurs are not really rebuilding. Time for the younger guys will come here and there, and they need to show they've earned it. Take last season for example. The Spurs could've given more run to Kyle or Simmons, but PATFO brought in 33 years old Kevin Martin mid-season instead. If you want Pop to play the kids more, they either need to be extremely good, or wait until the team is tanking, tbh.

I've no idea what Manu is going to do, tbh, he probably doesn't know either. But it wouldn't be surprising at all if PATFO goes out there and gets another vet if he retires. They get to look at the kids plenty during the season and practice, they know what they have, what they can trot out there and not.

Last season is a great example. Pop brought in KMart and gave him minutes that could have gone to Kyle and/or Simmons. KMart was mediocre at best, and probably no better than either Kyle or Simmons; however, Pop gave him those minutes simply because he was a geezer. It would have been better if Pop had given Kyle and/or Simmons those minutes, tbh.

MultiTroll
02-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Last season is a great example. Pop brought in KMart and gave him minutes that could have gone to Kyle and/or Simmons. KMart was mediocre at best, and probably no better than either Kyle or Simmons; however, Pop gave him those minutes simply because he was a geezer. It would have been better if Pop had given Kyle and/or Simmons those minutes, tbh.
Co sign.
With exception of mediocre at best.
imo he was less then mediocre, a net negative. When combined with stealing minutes, completely senseless move.

sasaint
02-08-2017, 11:24 AM
I totally agree with you, not trolling here. Pop will also keep going to him so long as he's in the team too. I am aware however that his competitive spirit is like no other and same as Tim, when he's gone we will miss him. There will be no other MVPelon.

You may be higher on Simmons than I am though. If their answer to the bench is Manu one more season plus Simmons.. then I am not on board. I think Simmons will get paid, he has earned it and it is hard to say how much. I do think however that he's an inconsistent player who, when pressing the issue is incredibly prone to mistakes and getting striped still and he is too inconsistent with his jumper to be a guy around which others play in the bench. I may be mistaken in this evaluation bc he has shown some improvement but he's incredibly inconsistent as a scorer and so up and down that his age combined with what he has shown so far tells me that he's more likely to come in playing like he did against Memphis last night than the way he did against GSW in the season opener any regular night. In fact the GSW game is the only one of it's nature this season... and he statpads in garbage time a lot. Games like the one against Memphis tell me more about him and what he can do against real competition than garbage time statpadding. I would rather if the Spurs are going to pay someone that they get someone better personally.

He was to me the worst perimeter player for the Spurs the last game (save Dijon's terrible 3 minute stint in which he got stripped thrice and missed the one shot he took)... anyways, I want the Spurs to get someone better and more consistent for their bench... who is young enough that Pop doesn't need to rest him every other game and manage or restrict his minutes even when the team is losing just bc he's 40 and his body cannot in all consciousness handle it. Dijon is going to require time to reach his ceiling and I think Spurs could use someone who is going to be there to help things in the bench.

I don't know if they will retain Patty either, I thought initially they would, but now I am unsure. He's not the answer in the bench post Ginobili, specially if he gets a massive contract... but he may. Never underestimate Pop and his loyalties though.

It's really whether Pop will adjust Manu's role and whether adjusting his role to the point Manu is not Manu that makes me wonder if that is even worth it for Manu. I do believe when he reaches a point that he cannot be himself on the court it is time to retire (it's what Timmy did). Manu is close to that point... so very close he looks very much done in some games and that cannot be fun for him. He's still got the Pelotas though and can make game swinging plays. If it comes to it, I'd like him back while Dijon is worked in for example. The Mills vs Simmons vs a FA, Dedmon or Lee debate is for RC in the offseason.

Yes, we know that I like Simmons better than you. Despite last game, what I have seen is steady, fairly consistent improvement from him. He has a willingness to perform within the framework of the team; whereas last season he got by exclusively on his athletic ability. I look at a 39 year old Manu and wonder why in the world people are making an issue over Simmons' age. He has shown improvement that makes me believe he has not hit his peak. Pop clearly doesn't believe it either. Pop uses him in the same way he used Manu - some PG, some wing. I believe he is slated for the Manu role once Manu retires.

"Statpadding" is a weird, blanket term that people use to describe more than one situation. Leaving Westchuck in for the final minutes of a game that is out of reach for either team just so he can chuck some more shots or grab another rebound or make another assist - especially in pursuit of a triple double - that's statpadding. But when the Spurs are up by a mere 10-12 points with 2-3 minutes left and Tony continues to play and score, that is not statpadding or heroballing in my book but bringing home a W when the opponent could still put on a rally and pull the game out. Similarly, when Simmons plays most of his minutes in garbage time (perhaps because Manu has been playing the "real" minutes), is he supposed to not play hard - not try to score or try for a rebound or try to make an assist? If he does well with what opportunities he is given, should that be a knock on him? In short, all statpadding is not the same. I will leave it to RC to determine how much Simmons is worth to the Spurs.

Unlike most posters, I envision Dijon's replacing Tony in the SL sooner rather than later. So I do not see a real conflict between Simmons and Dijon despite their rather similar skill sets. I see Dijon playing mostly with the SL and Juice playing mostly with the second unit. Assuming Manu wants to return and he would accept a role as a 3-point specialist (a la Kerr or Horry), I see potential conflict between Manu and Mills - conflict in terms of competing for payroll dollars.

SAGirl
02-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Yes, we know that I like Simmons better than you. Despite last game, what I have seen is steady, fairly consistent improvement from him. He has a willingness to perform within the framework of the team; whereas last season he got by exclusively on his athletic ability. I look at a 39 year old Manu and wonder why in the world people are making an issue over Simmons' age. He has shown improvement that makes me believe he has not hit his peak. Pop clearly doesn't believe it either. Pop uses him in the same way he used Manu - some PG, some wing. I believe he is slated for the Manu role once Manu retires.

"Statpadding" is a weird, blanket term that people use to describe more than one situation. Leaving Westchuck in for the final minutes of a game that is out of reach for either team just so he can chuck some more shots or grab another rebound or make another assist - especially in pursuit of a triple double - that's statpadding. But when the Spurs are up by a mere 10-12 points with 2-3 minutes left and Tony continues to play and score, that is not statpadding or heroballing in my book but bringing home a W when the opponent could still put on a rally and pull the game out. Similarly, when Simmons plays most of his minutes in garbage time (perhaps because Manu has been playing the "real" minutes), is he supposed to not play hard - not try to score or try for a rebound or try to make an assist? If he does well with what opportunities he is given, should that be a knock on him? In short, all statpadding is not the same. I will leave it to RC to determine how much Simmons is worth to the Spurs.

Unlike most posters, I envision Dijon's replacing Tony in the SL sooner rather than later. So I do not see a real conflict between Simmons and Dijon despite their rather similar skill sets. I see Dijon playing mostly with the SL and Juice playing mostly with the second unit. Assuming Manu wants to return and he would accept a role as a 3-point specialist (a la Kerr or Horry), I see potential conflict between Manu and Mills - conflict in terms of competing for payroll dollars.

Nah I just mean that his stat padding don't mean much to me. I used the term in a blanket way bc he'd be nowhere to be found when games are contested to just show against third string players and weak defenders. That doesn't mean much to me when it comes to evaluating what he could do long term for the team. uHe's fine at his contract but if they are going to pay someone I want someone better. I don't think he's the answer personally and as that's subjective we shall just disagree.

Obviously Pop will decide what's best and he likely has to be better than he's been. He's had very much minimal production games and only scored in garbage time often... if you look at his stats they are misleading in the sense that you likely will get worse production with an increased role. I am not convinced by him long term and in a bigger role he will be bad.... my assessment.

Dijon is different. He's still learning how to play Pops game and improving areas he came into the league with deficiencies in. I think he is going to have to show solid bench play b4 he starts for real. He may get the ocasional CoJo start but it doesn't mean he's going to be starting for real yet. But his progression can be way different and considering that he's so young he can surprise me and Tony can also surprise with decline worse than what it's been so far. Dijon is not there yet so that's not happening right now.

SAGirl
02-08-2017, 01:06 PM
I've got a bit of a crazy idea, kind of fell asleep and woke up with it. In the playoffs, can we just start Manu at PG against the Clippers or Warriors if we play either of those teams? Since both TP and Mills' defense sucks ass, I really think Manu can start against either of those teams and do a better job if he continues shooting the 3 ball like he has been so far this season. I think he can also play better defense on their PGs than either Mills or TP.
You can't do that bc he's almost 40 and his minutes are restricted. Like fine china Pop has to be selective when to play him when he will be most impactful.

SAGirl
02-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Totally on board with that. The seeding was fixed and he could have spent that time getting his young guys to play better. Instead he gave almost 200 minutes to a player he never learned to trust bc he didn't earn it and he was the worse than Rasual Butler who was already out of the rotation. I suspected it was Tims last season even back then and in that light I take it as them taking a flyer on someone to see if he could help. He was bad and retired bc he was done. What I am talking about is different. I am talking about a FA that is not a bargain bin find. They need better guard play in general.

Phenomanul
02-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Also because vets are somewhat known commodities... When prospecting in said market sometimes the FO taps into a gold vein (Boris Diaw / Brent Barry / Michael Finley / Robert Horry / Kevin Willis), and sometimes they come up empty (David West / Richard Jefferson / Kevin Martin / Tracy McGrady)... other vets can't properly be gauged even if they were good fits within the Spurs' system given the plethora of other circumstances surrounding the Spurs' playoff exits - the metric by which their successes are ultimately weighed - fair or not (i.e. Andre Miller / Antonio McDyess) or injury in the case of TJ Ford.

It seems from what we are seeing out of him that David Lee will be another golden find.

Phenomanul
02-08-2017, 01:46 PM

Manu's assist to TO ratio this season is roughly where it has always been for him.... is it that you are focusing too much on his playmaking when he attempts such play action that your perception has been skewered?

sasaint
02-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Totally on board with that. The seeding was fixed and he could have spent that time getting his young guys to play better. Instead he gave almost 200 minutes to a player he never learned to trust bc he didn't earn it and he was the worse than Rasual Butler who was already out of the rotation. I suspected it was Tims last season even back then and in that light I take it as them taking a flyer on someone to see if he could help. He was bad and retired bc he was done. What I am talking about is different. I am talking about a FA that is not a bargain bin find. They need better guard play in general.

Yes, I know where you are coming from. What the Spurs need can only come in one of two ways. I think (hope?) that Dijon can be fast-tracked as Pop once fast-tracked Tony (who was not really any better in 2003 than Dijon is now). The only other way that the Spurs can upgrade guard play is, as you point out, via free agency or trade. Obviously a FA upgrade will only come in the offseason, which (equally obviously) will not affect the team this year. If you are like me and have a hard time with deferring gratification (:lol), then the only way the Spurs can accomplish an upgrade this season is via trade, which I would really like to see. (We all know how likely that is.) But such a move would indicate to me that Pop is content to develop Dijon more slowly than I would like, because upgrading the guard play could only be accomplished by bringing in a guy who would be a starter ahead of Dijon for more than a year or two. I think this is a major conundrum for the Spurs.

Ice009
02-08-2017, 02:13 PM
You can't do that bc he's almost 40 and his minutes are restricted. Like fine china Pop has to be selective when to play him when he will be most impactful.

I'm not saying start him and play him 35 minutes. Just start him and play him 25. I think if he keeps up this 3 point shooting, then that would be a better fit in the starting 5. He can just pass and shoot 3s. On defense is also the other main reason I'd like to start him. I think he can help set a better tone for the team than either Patty or Parker.

sasaint
02-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Manu's assist to TO ratio this season is roughly where it has always been for him.... is it that you are focusing too much on his playmaking when he attempts such play action that your perception has been skewered?

I think the timing of his turnovers may make them seem qualitatively worse. But, if my perception is skewed, it may be due more to the fact that his spot-up three-point shooting is phenomenally good. That is the role in which Manu is super-efficient. By comparison the other aspects of his game are very inefficient. As I said in my original post in this thread, if Manu could be brought back as strictly a spot-up 3-point shooter, then I'm on board.

SAGirl
02-08-2017, 04:33 PM
I'm not saying start him and play him 35 minutes. Just start him and play him 25. I think if he keeps up this 3 point shooting, then that would be a better fit in the starting 5. He can just pass and shoot 3s. On defense is also the other main reason I'd like to start him. I think he can help set a better tone for the team than either Patty or Parker.
The starting lineup has a top 5 player in the league. Manu is not taking the ball from him. Working Dijon in defensively, if he could be made to limit TO and mistakes is a better option. Dijon coming in and TO 3 times in 3 minutes was not a good sign... but Kawhi would make the game easier for Dijon bc he would play off the ball some. I really don't see Manu starting... using him strategically in a key moment of the game is the best option.

bklynspursfan
02-08-2017, 04:37 PM
The starting lineup has a top 5 player in the league. Manu is not taking the ball from him. Working Dijon in defensively, if he could be made to limit TO and mistakes is a better option. Dijon coming in and TO 3 times in 3 minutes was not a good sign... but Kawhi would make the game easier for Dijon bc he would play off the ball some. I really don't see Manu starting... using him strategically in a key moment of the game is the best option.

I don't think he would either, but what if he's creating easier looks for him? Kawhi is great, but at times it's only he & Parker who can do anything off the dribble in that lineup. It's when sometimes we get the Kawhi who starts forcing tough shots.

It's a moot point anyway, Manu isn't going to start after all these years coming off the bench. But I don't think Manu takes the ball from him in a way that hurts Kawhi's production.

DAF86
02-08-2017, 08:40 PM

If you are talking about Simmons and Anderson, they are not worth developing. They are what they are. Spurs strongly need to add another good wing.

ElNono
02-08-2017, 11:54 PM
:lol I could only speak very briefly with Manu today, there was a big contingent of ARG fans and he went to sign autographs there. By the time he came around, he was kinda in a hurry. I did tell him I hope he does come back for another season, he looked at me like it was crazy talk... this season might be it, tbh

apalisoc_9
02-08-2017, 11:56 PM
:lol I could only speak very briefly with Manu today, there was a big contingent of ARG fans and he went to sign autographs there. By the time he came around, he was kinda in a hurry. I did tell him I hope he does come back for another season, he looked at me like it was crazy talk... this season might be it, tbh

Only been to two spurs games in Toronto and not close to the huddle.

Who had the most personality in the bench?

Ice009
02-09-2017, 12:14 AM

He's not supposed to take the ball from him at all. If he's starting, he's supposed to space the floor better for the other guys as he's a 3 point threat, and then if Kawhi can't get anything he can pass it out to Manu to either take a shot (if it's an open three) or run some offense. The other main reason I'd also want him to start against either of those match-ups is because I think he'd also provide much better defense than either Parker or Mills.

As for DeJounte, he isn't a good enough 3 point shooter at this stage for it to work against a match-up Vs the Warriors or the Clippers. He also can't run an offense anywhere near as good as Manu. The only time I'd think of starting Murray is if you want him to attack the rim or match-up against someone defensively.

ElNono
02-09-2017, 12:15 AM
Only been to two spurs games in Toronto and not close to the huddle.

Who had the most personality in the bench?

Lots of grownups on that bench, tbh... that said, Lee is always very supportive of everybody... just impressed with the guy, must be a nice teammate, tbh

Ice009
02-09-2017, 12:21 AM

Well that sucks to hear. I thought he would seriously consider coming back as he's played pretty well in limited minutes this season IMO. Very surprised if he looked at you like you were crazy to even suggest it. If Vince Carter can keep playing, then Manu certainly can too.

ElNono
02-09-2017, 12:22 AM
Well that sucks to hear. I thought he would seriously consider coming back as he's played pretty well in limited minutes this season IMO. Very surprised if he looked at you like you were crazy to even suggest it. If Vince Carter can keep playing, then Manu certainly can too.

It probably means nothing, tbh... he probably won't think about that until the season is over.

UZER
02-09-2017, 12:24 AM

Good. He's done.

Ice009
02-09-2017, 12:27 AM
It probably means nothing, tbh... he probably won't think about that until the season is over.

Yeah, that might be better to see what he feels like physically and mentally after the season. I think if he has the mindset going into the playoffs that this might be his last season, he could have that edge, which I think helps him play at his best.

SAGirl
02-09-2017, 12:52 AM
Thanks for sharing that tidbit Nono.
:bobo

SAGirl
02-09-2017, 01:05 AM
As I said I do have that #Nostradamus feeling... I had it with Tim last season too... You never know bc the last 3 seasons it could have been any of them... but I think this one is it. He might be ready... the Olympics were telling,
the blog about non basketball subjects. Etc it's a lot of tea leaves reading but I do think this one is it.

SAGirl
02-09-2017, 01:08 AM
He's not supposed to take the ball from him at all. If he's starting, he's supposed to space the floor better for the other guys as he's a 3 point threat, and then if Kawhi can't get anything he can pass it out to Manu to either take a shot (if it's an open three) or run some offense. The other main reason I'd also want him to start against either of those match-ups is because I think he'd also provide much better defense than either Parker or Mills.

As for DeJounte, he isn't a good enough 3 point shooter at this stage for it to work against a match-up Vs the Warriors or the Clippers. He also can't run an offense anywhere near as good as Manu. The only time I'd think of starting Murray is if you want him to attack the rim or match-up against someone defensively.
If you want him to just space the floor there are others. Manu is not averaging 25 minutes against starters. He's playing less than 20 mostly against benches with a few minutes of those maybe a quarter of them against starters. It might be too much to ask. We shall see.

ElNono
02-09-2017, 01:14 AM
At 18mpg, he's not the guy that moves the needle anymore, that's why all these discussions are very subjective. Other guys have taken the 'burden' of taking us to deep into the playoffs, and potentially to a championship.

Nostalgia for what he was, and the joy of still watching him go out there and see him drain another 3, make another play, it's very rewarding if you've been a fan for a long time. Those that had the fortune to actually interact with him, even very little, will treasure and miss him even more. Truly a generous, down to earth guy (which is actually pretty atypical for a successful Argie, tbh). I did tell him one more thing tonight: if he's not coming back next season, the next time we'll see him will be in Springfield, MA.

UZER
02-09-2017, 01:18 AM
At 18mpg, he's not the guy that moves the needle anymore, that's why all these discussions are very subjective. Other guys have taken the 'burden' of taking us to deep into the playoffs, and potentially to a championship.

Nostalgia for what he was, and the joy of still watching him go out there and see him drain another 3, make another play, it's very rewarding if you've been a fan for a long time. Those that had the fortune to actually interact with him, even very little, will treasure and miss him even more. Truly a generous, down to earth guy (which is actually pretty atypical for a successful Argie, tbh). I did tell him one more thing tonight: if he's not coming back next season, the next time we'll see him will be in Springfield, MA.

Cue card: Awwwwe

ElNono
02-09-2017, 01:34 AM
Cue card: Awwwwe

Everybody have their fave players, tbh... heck, today was the first Spurs game I attended where Tim was not there. It kinda hit me at some point. Then again, we still look pretty good out there. I suppose it could be a lot worse (see Philly after Iverson).

Hoops Czar
02-09-2017, 01:43 AM

It's better to retire knowing you still have a little something left in the tank as a semi productive rotation player rather than sticking around too long and going out like Paul Pierce.

TheGreatYacht
02-09-2017, 02:52 AM
It's better to retire knowing you still have a little something left in the tank as a semi productive rotation player rather than sticking around too long and going out like Paul Pierce and Manu Ginobili.

spursistan
02-10-2017, 06:46 PM

It probably does..:pctoss

Cue..*The Doors- The End* :cry

Thomas82
02-13-2017, 08:24 AM
It's better to retire knowing you still have a little something left in the tank as a semi productive rotation player rather than sticking around too long and going out like Paul Pierce.

+1

TheGreatYacht
02-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Get the fuck outta here already tosb

spursistan
02-28-2017, 06:24 PM
The end is near, but this why I still want a 47- year-old MVPelon on my team even for a 5-minute stint = intangibles..Even in his current decrepit form, I could count at least 4/5 games Manu has changed by making winning plays or pulling the team back in it (Houston 4thq comeback, second halves vs Portland/PHX without Kawhi, Clippers 3rd quarter..).. 836595996901658625
San Antonio Spurs: Manu Ginobili I saw the Spurs play the Clippers last week in Los Angeles and it struck me watching live how incredibly energetic Ginobili still is. Ginobili is 39 and very clearly at the doorstep of the end of his career, but he was as active as any player I’ve watched live this season. Any athleticism he’s lost has been more than made up for by his effort.There’s not a stat for this, but I know in my heart that Ginobili grabbed 100 percent of all 50–50 balls he was in the vicinity of. Ginobili led the Spurs with a plus-23, and perhaps that’s the best way to statistically detail his knack for making unmeasurable positive plays. If the Spurs have any advantage over the Warriors, it’s their depth, and Ginobili’s role will be important in closing the gap in the standings and also maintaining their lead over the reloaded Rockets.835900754921607168
The Spurs, of course, would love to keep him close, even if he’s not playing. And Ginobili wants that, too.“I probably won’t go away for good, I don’t think so,” Ginobili said. “I don’t know if I’m going to be working out at the (team) gym. But for sure I’m going to be attached, because of so many years and so many people I enjoy. I’ll be around.”For now, though? He has one more ring to chase.And then maybe a train to catch.

SAGirl
02-28-2017, 08:06 PM
The unacknowledged farewell tour... nice term

UZER
02-28-2017, 09:18 PM
The unacknowledged farewell tour... nice term

Because Manu is the only one still unacknowledging it.

DAF86
02-28-2017, 09:21 PM
Because Manu is the only one still unacknowledging it.

Manu has already said this will be his last season, tbh.

UZER
02-28-2017, 09:41 PM
Manu has already said this will be his last season, tbh.

Tbh, I'll believe it when I see it.

DAF86
02-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Tbh, I'll believe it when I see it.

With the way this free agency window is looking for the Spurs, Manu might be doing the Spurs a solid one by resigning one more year for the vet min.

Brazil
03-01-2017, 04:33 PM
I'd love to have manu one more year tbh

spursistan
03-08-2017, 10:50 PM
:wakeup

timtonymanu
03-08-2017, 10:52 PM
The heart that he and Timmy have shown at the end of their careers is amazing.

spursistan
03-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Seriously how are we going to replace that motherfuckin "will to win"? shit is immeasurable and only few players on this planet has IT..40 yo Manu is one of them..

dabom
03-08-2017, 10:56 PM
This fucking cuck was cliffjumping like a faggot in the game thread. :lmao

Chris
03-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Thank God we still have him. Hopefully he plays another season.

alpha_HaZE
03-08-2017, 11:01 PM
I would love to have him back for another year, but I don't see it happening. If I was Manu, I would return in a Matt Bonner role, but him I don't think he wants that. It will hard for Pop to find minutes for Manu with the development of guys like Dejounte and Simmons.

PopTheGOAT
03-08-2017, 11:02 PM
19/4/5/3 line

:wow

Mikeanaro
03-08-2017, 11:07 PM
I would love to have him back for another year, but I don't see it happening. If I was Manu, I would return in a Matt Bonner role, but him I don't think he wants that. It will hard for Pop to find minutes for Manu with the development of guys like Dejounte and Simmons.
Why would Manu return in a Bonner role? He is Manu...

FkLA
03-08-2017, 11:09 PM
One more year, MVPelon.

kaji157
03-08-2017, 11:13 PM
We ring and he's gone

UZER
03-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Please no. He's done his job. Time to go.

gambit1990
03-09-2017, 12:54 PM
would swap out his contract with tony's.

SpursFan86
03-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Despite his inconsistency, Manu at nearly 40 years old is still an above-average bench guy and finds ways to have a positive impact on games. Can be frustrating at times when he has those games where he looks done, but damn do games like last night make you happy he's still around.

ceperez
03-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Despite his inconsistency, Manu at nearly 40 years old is still an above-average bench guy and finds ways to have a positive impact on games. Can be frustrating at times when he has those games where he looks done, but damn do games like last night make you happy he's still around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c29AX8snosw

Not bad for a 40 year old!

alpha_HaZE
03-10-2017, 12:49 AM

Not sure what's your point. I agree I don't think he would return.

Hoops Czar
03-10-2017, 12:56 AM

Impossible. They have Bertans for that.

Mikeanaro
03-10-2017, 01:13 AM
Not sure what's your point. I agree I don't think he would return.
Check Hoops Czar´s answer, Manu is a playmaker and a game changer, look how they played tonight without him, he is not a spot shooter.

ElNono
03-10-2017, 05:46 AM
I approve of this thread

BillMc
03-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Another 14 mil and I'd bet he'd come back. I mean it's better than playing the game he loves for free at the local Y (or whatever is the equivalent in Argentina). Thing is it looks like Spurs can't offer him that again, and his caphold might interfere with their plans. Will he return for 3-5 mill? Less likely.

I'd like to see him back or, barring that, retire. But I could see Philly or somewhere similar with a hankering for Spurs culture offering him a similar 15+ million to be a mentor. I wouldn't blame him, but would hate to see it.

DAF86
03-11-2017, 01:49 AM
Manu instead of Forbes could have probably changed the result against OKC, tbh.

spursistan
03-11-2017, 02:07 AM
I approve of this thread
I was told he was holding back Simmons and co. :cry

IT is such depressing state of affairs that this Spurs season will likely hinge on whether Parker/Manu still have few good games in them when it matters ..

SAGirl
03-11-2017, 02:24 AM
Unfortunately we may be finding out that only Simmons was holding Simmons back. ^ He may be at his ceiling. There is no way to know those things unless the guy gets an opportunity and he has, still does and well he's Simmons, not a HoF player.

The only thing with manu is that at 40, he needs to be rested for games and is on minutes restrictions. Spurs need a backcourt player for night and night out, every game, every time. Manu is not that guy bc of age, rest and the Alzheimer games, Tony is not that guy bc age/mileage/injury prone at this stage... Danny is there night in and night out, but he's limited offensively and we know that.

Simmons is not that guy. Some were (still are?) hopeful he was that guy and I can't blame them for rooting for a young guy... one just doesn't know until Pop tries what is there to find out.

My worry really is that the Spurs have paid a lot for their frontcourt/bigs and they are in need of going after a FA to help at the guards spots. Hopefully they can do something.

It seemed like just retaining Mills and Simmons was going to be uphill based on a few discussions here so I guess it doesn't look good. If the plan is standing pat with Mills and Simmons, I do want Manu back bc those two need them, but in reality I want a younger guy who can give the Spurs play nightly and doesn't need rest or Alzheimer games TBH. Simmons is not that guy, which is why I would not reup him.

.. Edit: he still has time TBH. Playoffs is where it counts and the season is not over.

alpha_HaZE
03-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Check Hoops Czar´s answer, Manu is a playmaker and a game changer, look how they played tonight without him, he is not a spot shooter.

My apologies, by Matt Bonner role I meant stay on the bench and let the young guys play..

diego
03-11-2017, 12:38 PM

My worry really is that the Spurs have paid a lot for their frontcourt/bigs and they are in need of going after a FA to help at the guards spots. Hopefully they can do something. .

The thing that everyone seems to forget is that this team went big when everyone is going small, but the bigs aren't playing big. It's easy to take shots at Tony and Manu but Lma and pau are the real disappointments.
Teams don't fear our bigs, on the contrary they put small guys on them and let them shoot. Rc was lucky to grab Lee who has covered up their softness on o at least. Kawhi has stepped up, drawing more fta and doing more playmaking, but Lma regressing to a defensive role player and paus inconsistency have been bigger disappointments than Tony and Manu aging which everyone knew was going to happen anyway.

Spurtacular
03-11-2017, 06:21 PM
I think we all wanted him back but not for the money he has

I was relatively okay with the money. He sacrificed a lot of money over the years; it's good to see him get a pay day.

DAF86
03-11-2017, 06:54 PM
At this point, we almost need Manu to come back next year, tbh.

UZER
03-15-2017, 09:44 PM
:lol ok

TheGreatYacht
03-15-2017, 09:45 PM
:lmao not one of your best threads OP

Pocho La Pantera
03-15-2017, 09:48 PM
Two more years please!

james evans
03-15-2017, 11:30 PM
as soon as ginobli got in the game tonight he turned the ball over. Then he turned it over again. Then he was about to turn it over but was bailed out by a foul call. I want him to retire. He has nothing left to prove. He can't hit freethrows late in the game anymore and he has trouble making simple passes throughout the game.

TheGreatYacht
03-15-2017, 11:34 PM
Trump will take care of this

sasaint
03-15-2017, 11:36 PM
as soon as ginobli got in the game tonight he turned the ball over. Then he turned it over again. Then he was about to turn it over but was bailed out by a foul call. I want him to retire. He has nothing left to prove. He can't hit freethrows late in the game anymore and he has trouble making simple passes throughout the game.

Truth is he doesn't want to make "simple passes" - never did. Sometimes the results are great - even a couple of times tonight. But increasingly the results are not good.

SAGirl
03-16-2017, 12:16 AM
Spurs need a young healthy guy with star potential. That guy may be Dijon or is not in the team. So long as Pop had Manu and Tony they weren't going to prioritize getting said young guy, whether through trade or FA. This offseason just doesn't look good unless the Spurs trade Lamarcus or someone else.

sasaint
03-16-2017, 01:02 AM
Spurs need a young healthy guy with star potential. That guy may be Dijon or is not in the team. So long as Pop had Manu and Tony they weren't going to prioritize getting said young guy, whether through trade or FA. This offseason just doesn't look good unless the Spurs trade Lamarcus or someone else.

I believe the Spurs will rely primarily on the development of individual players already under contract for the team's improvement (?) next season. I expect a minimal number of new faces - UNLESS, as you say, they move some decent-sized contracts. I believe that the Spurs will not trade LMA, as much I would like to see that happen. But with his sub-par performance this year and flare-up of heart arrhythmia, I am not sure he has a great deal of value. OTOH, due to his declining health, as well as declining play when he is on the court, I would no longer be surprised to see the Spurs move Tony.

Spur|n|Austin
03-16-2017, 02:11 AM
:lmao not one of your best threads OP

Can you even start threads? :lmao

Ditty
03-16-2017, 02:58 AM
Manu is still a hell of a basketball player especially defensively. He also seems to still be able to get to the basket if he really wants to, and get to the free throw line. Hopefully he has enough gas for one last hurrah in the playoffs as I believe this is it after this season. Hopefully he can also start making his damn free throws automatically like he used too a few years back & in his prime :lol. He is going to have a turnover here and there, possibly even a crucial one, but he could be a difference maker of possibly winning it all.

Canyonero
03-16-2017, 08:54 AM
Can you even start threads? :lmao

Trump won't let him tbh.

spursistan
03-31-2017, 09:40 PM
:wakeup

One of the greatest winner of all-time..No quit in him and with him.It is not about the numbers in the box score at this point..

spursistan
03-31-2017, 10:20 PM
Team high +26 ..

It's hard to see him accept the Vet min, but if Mills is let walk, I would rather commit 4-6 millions $ to Manu for one more season than multiple ones to Simmons or another unproven guy..

gambit1990
03-31-2017, 10:22 PM
would swap out his contract with tony's.
make it happen rc!

SAGirl
03-31-2017, 10:30 PM
Team high +26 ..

It's hard to see him accept the Vet min, but if Mills is let walk, I would rather commit 4-6 millions $ to Manu for one more season than multiple ones to Simmons or another unproven guy..
I still don't know what to conclude on Simmons. I think his chances are dwindling but he could still see time in the playoffs. He would need to make an impact there... otherwise it's really unknown his destiny as a Spur.

Spur|n|Austin
03-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Manu has been nothing short of impressive for his age - if he wants to come back and play, I support it.

spursistan
05-09-2017, 09:53 PM
:cry

spursistan
05-20-2017, 11:10 PM
At this point, I think he is going to get talked into another season by Pop :lol..

spursistan
05-21-2017, 12:18 AM
Outside that horrendous Memphis series, I would argue Manu has had a better overall season than 2015-2016..

Hoops Czar
05-21-2017, 12:35 AM
Better to leave early than a year too late. He needs to retire. Nobody wants to go out looking like Paul Pierce.

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 12:36 AM
Hell no :lol

Look at his stats in the reg season and playoffs. 2016 Kobe-level inefficient at this point....

UZER
05-21-2017, 12:56 AM
Manu is Manu, yes he can have a decent playoff game now and again. But it's time to go.

kaji157
05-21-2017, 01:28 AM
You always need someone that knows how to show up in important games. That is something that younger spurs need too learn.

Phenomanul
05-21-2017, 01:37 AM

Look at his stats in the reg season and playoffs. 2016 Kobe-level inefficient at this point....

Really...? He saved his best games for THIS playoff series... the one people said we had no chance in... all for naught though given the injury circumstances...

Duncanforthree
05-21-2017, 01:42 AM
If you want Manu Ginobili to go out on a bitchmade injury sweep series show yourself to the door as a Spurs fan. He can sit out all 82 games next year for all I care as long as he brings the heart he has brought again this postseason.

Switch in The Matrix said it best: " Not like this. Not like this."

therealtruth
05-21-2017, 01:50 AM
He needs to resist the urge. Allow the younger guys to play.

tholdren
05-21-2017, 08:35 AM
He needs to resist the urge. Allow the younger guys to play.

Yes cause just what spurs need..... NOT

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Manu was one of the guys who wasn't "sad to watch play these playoffs". It was sad to watch play LMA, Gasoft, Mills, Green, etc. Very sad.

Dverde
05-21-2017, 09:45 AM
He needs to retire. Nice to see him playing well in the end. Much better than last year's playoffs.

Ice009
05-21-2017, 10:10 AM
No, I'll take him back. I want him back after the heart he showed this series. It made me remember how great of a competitor that he is. He wouldn't/shouldn't be getting as many minutes if he does come back, though. He'd be mostly there to help mentor the younger guys. I think he'd be better at that than either Tony or maybe even Tim.

I think a lot of young players look up to him and respect him. I wonder if Simmons has spent some time learning from him because it feels/looks like Manu has rubbed off on him with the way Simmons has played in the playoffs. It seems like he's given Simmons a little bit of his mojo.

8FOR!3
05-21-2017, 10:14 AM
His competitiveness is clearly valuable to the team still and something the young guys need to feed off of and learn from.

spursistan
05-23-2017, 12:21 AM
Don't tell me he can't give it ago for another year, tbh...Doesn't have any chronic health issue unlike Timmy..

spurraider21
05-23-2017, 12:23 AM
till the wheels fall off

DAF86
05-23-2017, 12:25 AM
I don't see how Manu for the vet min would hurt the Spurs at all, tbh.

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2017, 12:25 AM
Don't tell me he can't give it ago for another year, tbh...Doesn't have any chronic health issue unlike Timmy..
He's done. Take a look at his horrendous FG% throughout the season and playoffs. Will only get worse and will get in the way of other young players

GSH
05-23-2017, 12:32 AM
Manu could do this team one hell of a favor, by coming back for the vet min on a one-year deal. The league would actually pick up a big chunk of his salary, and he wouldn't count much against the cap at all.

He's not up to being a featured player on the roster for 82 games. But he showed in these playoffs that he can still produce. The Warriors are clearly a very good team, and they weren't letting Manu score. He went out and earned everything he got.

It would be fun to have him around, and I think he could be good for some of the younger guys. Give him enough minutes to be fun for him and give a breather to someone. Mostly, save his best for the playoffs. Yeah, I'd like to see him back on those terms.

spursistan
05-23-2017, 12:35 AM
Manu could do this team one hell of a favor, by coming back for the vet min on a one-year deal. The league would actually pick up a big chunk of his salary, and he wouldn't count much against the cap at all.

He's not up to being a featured player on the roster for 82 games. But he showed in these playoffs that he can still produce. The Warriors are clearly a very good team, and they weren't letting Manu score. He went out and earned everything he got.

It would be fun to have him around, and I think he could be good for some of the younger guys. Give him enough minutes to be fun for him and give a breather to someone. Mostly, save his best for the playoffs. Yeah, I'd like to see him back on those terms.

:tu

timtonymanu
05-23-2017, 12:38 AM
plus I like to see Manu coaching Murray a bit so he helps in that aspect too

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2017, 12:40 AM
plus I like to see Manu coaching Murray a bit so he helps in that aspect too
We have Parker for that

spurraider21
05-23-2017, 12:40 AM
I don't see how Manu for the vet min would hurt the Spurs at all, tbh.whatever happens has to be done quick, given his cap hold (21 mil)

SpurPadre
05-23-2017, 01:18 AM
We have Parker for that

Nah, he'll just fuck his girl, tbh.

spursistan
05-23-2017, 01:19 AM

Donkey: " Manu worked us these four games.."

BillMc
05-23-2017, 01:27 AM
I don't want to see Euro-steppin', bat-slappin', testicle-sacrificin', Barkley-excitin', Bosh-posterizin' bald-spot expandin', ring-collectin' Manu go...:depressed

spursistan
05-23-2017, 01:30 AM

05-23-2017, 02:35 AM
I think he'll retire because everyone expects him to at this point.

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2017, 02:44 AM
Fitting that his championship costing career ends in a sweep tbh...

spursistan
05-23-2017, 02:47 AM
I think he'll retire because everyone expects him to at this point.
He is healthy and, individually, finished the season on a high note against the best team in league..Almost sure Pop will try to talk him into another year-- remember the "bar of soap" comment..

This is probably gonna be decided in a talk between Manu and his wife..

UNT Eagles 2016
05-23-2017, 03:54 AM
He is healthy and, individually, finished the season on a high note against the best team in league..Almost sure Pop will try to talk him into another year-- remember the "bar of soap" comment..

Someone buy Marianela a gram or three.... Quick

SpurPadre
05-23-2017, 06:43 PM

"Honey, Parker is injured, so you don't have to worry about him fucking me!"

"Wait a minute, that just means he'll have more time to track you down! Fuck that boludo, I'm retiring!"

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 06:58 PM
"Honey, Parker is injured, so you don't have to worry about him fucking me!"

"Wait a minute, that just means he'll have more time to track you down! Fuck that boludo, I'm retiring!"

Didn't know Mexicans used that "boludo" slang too. Go figure :blah

diego
05-23-2017, 09:48 PM
He's done. Take a look at his horrendous FG% throughout the season and playoffs. Will only get worse and will get in the way of other young players

manu had a better efg than aldridge and parker, better ts than parker exactly equal to aldridge. he was 7th in Fga in the regular season, 8th in the playoffs. his playoff shooting was terrible but still ended a whisker under aldridge (-.4% efg, -.5%TS).

its not manu's fault simmons and anderson werent able to earn the playing time. at age 39 manu finishes the season with a better PER, ws, ws48, bpm, vorp, TS and efg than parker, simmons and anderson, as usual you couldn't be more wrong with your "take"

Pocho La Pantera
05-24-2017, 04:54 AM
manu had a better efg than aldridge and parker, better ts than parker exactly equal to aldridge. he was 7th in Fga in the regular season, 8th in the playoffs. his playoff shooting was terrible but still ended a whisker under aldridge (-.4% efg, -.5%TS).

its not manu's fault simmons and anderson werent able to earn the playing time. at age 39 manu finishes the season with a better PER, ws, ws48, bpm, vorp, TS and efg than parker, simmons and anderson, as usual you couldn't be more wrong with your "take"
He's the great faggot, remember.

spursistan
07-18-2017, 02:36 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2014/01/dr-evil-crying1.gif

It's happening fellas :cry..

spurraider21
07-18-2017, 03:12 PM
:bobo

daledondale
07-18-2017, 03:39 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2014/01/dr-evil-crying1.gif

It's happening fellas :cry..
http://www.teenchoice.com/sites/default/files/styles/photo_gallery_watermark/public/01-Jared-Boom-Done.gif?itok=1n1di3yG

spursistan
12-09-2017, 12:23 AM
bump..

Could still play at 50 :cry

tholdren
12-09-2017, 12:27 AM

Stop posting

spursistan
12-09-2017, 12:39 AM

Ice009
12-09-2017, 12:50 AM
Wow. I assume Kareem would have the record or is it Malone?

Hoops Czar
12-09-2017, 02:24 AM
I'm glad these Ginobili threads get bumped once in a blue moon after he hits a rare game winning shot because it shows you just how true of a legend he once was and whenever he comes through with his rare heroic moment these days, posters want him back for another year. It's almost like people want to hold onto nostalgia forever. Let's just ignore the fact he's a net negative across the board, leads the team in turnovers, averages more turnovers than assists, shoots 29% from 3 and has a WS/48 of .045 (.100 being average), which is suggesting that he's playing at a flat out scrub level. I love Ginobili but this going a little bit too far. I'd love to see him comeback as an assistant coach but not a player.

daledondale
12-09-2017, 08:08 AM
till the wheels fall off

Diego20
12-09-2017, 10:07 AM
I'm glad these Ginobili threads get bumped once in a blue moon after he hits a rare game winning shot because it shows you just how true of a legend he once was and whenever he comes through with his rare heroic moment these days, posters want him back for another year. It's almost like people want to hold onto nostalgia forever. Let's just ignore the fact he's a net negative across the board, leads the team in turnovers, averages more turnovers than assists, shoots 29% from 3 and has a WS/48 of .045 (.100 being average), which is suggesting that he's playing at a flat out scrub level. I love Ginobili but this going a little bit too far. I'd love to see him comeback as an assistant coach but not a player.

Nop, nice try.

diego
12-09-2017, 11:09 AM

and yet:

Manu leads the league in charges taken/36 min for players that played at least 15 minute a game (tied for 2nd charges drawn total)
Manu leads the spurs in +- in clutch time
Manu leads the spurs in assists/TO ratio in clutch time
Manu leads the Spurs in TS% in clutch time
Manu is 8th in the league and leads the spurs in deflections/36 min

(taken from pounding the rock prior to celtics game)

Phenomanul
12-09-2017, 03:07 PM

It was against the team with the best record in basketball. It wasn't just any game Manu stepped up for - but one that mattered. When Kawhi comes back and rotations are more defined Manu's numbers will look like they always have.

tholdren
12-09-2017, 03:20 PM
I'm gay

Robz4000
12-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Eh, Spurs won't be winning anything for a while so we might as well enjoy these moments while we can. If it means putting up with his four shitty games to get one great game then so be it. Hell, who knows, maybe we get another legendary game like we got in Game 5 against Houston last year.

tholdren
12-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Eh, Spurs won't be winning anything for a while so we might as well enjoy these moments while we can. If it means putting up with his four shitty games to get one great game then so be it. Hell, who knows, maybe we get another legendary game like we got in Game 5 against Houston last year.
Cue play boban and his cry emoji for your tears

BSfromTX
12-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Manu means more to the team than ANY stat sheet shows.

Im not making a case for him to come back, I agree there is a time to say no more when someone really can’t contribute anymore, but he’s not there yet... and I just wonder how many turnovers he would have if he’d been playing with Parker and Leonard rather than new inexperienced players

UZER
12-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Manu means more to the team than ANY stat sheet shows.

Im not making a case for him to come back, I agree there is a time to say no more when someone really can’t contribute anymore, but he’s not there yet... and I just wonder how many turnovers he would have if he’d been playing with Parker and Leonard rather than new inexperienced players

Do you really wonder? Who Manu plays with never determines how many turnovers he has. He plays the same no matter who is on the floor. His turnovers are his and his alone.

BackHome
12-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Until the wheels falls offf

Play Boban
12-09-2017, 08:06 PM

:cry

ElNono
12-10-2017, 12:47 AM
This messican is pretty good, tbh... haters can suck it

SAGirl
12-10-2017, 12:52 AM
This messican is pretty good, tbh... haters can suck it
they can...
is he back for another year Nono?
What do your "sauces" tell you?

BSfromTX
12-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Do you really wonder? Who Manu plays with never determines how many turnovers he has. He plays the same no matter who is on the floor. His turnovers are his and his alone.

Still doesn’t bother me

vander
12-10-2017, 09:59 AM

well I don't love Ginobili, and have been probably a "hater" for most of his career. but he's been amazing for a 40 year old, it's a joy to watch, it's transcendent. at this salary I want Manu back for more than another year.

Oscar DeLa
12-10-2017, 10:17 AM
I don't know what it is but he zeroed out again last night.

SAGirl
12-10-2017, 10:28 AM
The fact he already negotiated that deal is precisely why he’s retiring I think, but I could be wrong. Pop would still want him back and he still has something left. It’s just that deal, not being able to opt out for more... seems like it.

Phenomanul
12-11-2017, 10:47 AM

Not true.

I've made a deliberate point to observe who Manu shares court-time with this season (because the early VORP and RPM numbers were highly unusual for him). This year the amount of minutes he has been paired with 2-year or less Spurs' players has been higher than normal. When paired with the Spurs vets, his TOV rate diminishes substantially - because they know the offensive sets, where to be on the floor. When paired with Lauvergne, Murray, Paul, Forbes, Gay, White, or Bertans, is when he has piled up over ~75% of his TOV THIS season - he is constantly waving his hands pointing to the spots on the floor that his teammates need to be. Those plays all lag and so naturally many of them just fall apart.

Manu is still Manu though and some TOV are just an inevitable part of who he is.

Phenomanul
12-11-2017, 10:48 AM
uh oh... Oscar DeLa is back with his "I don't know what it is..." schtick... :lol

spursistan
01-06-2018, 12:00 AM

^^
Bump..

This pretty much my take on the whole thing..Guy can still contribute to winning basketball games for this team, that is much clear..Memphis Series Manu? Yeah that dude should retire on the spot, but, in retrospect, it was one of those rough weeks a guy at his age can go through between now and then.

As he pushes 41, he's been really fine-- surprisingly healthier the past two seasons :lol -- with no much regression outside 3 point shooting %.

ElNono
01-06-2018, 12:03 AM
nostalgiafans :lol

ducks
01-06-2018, 12:06 AM
Murray needs to take his place his energy is good
Has those turnovers also like manu

spursistan
01-06-2018, 12:26 AM
nostalgiafans :lol
Still miss Timmy, tbh ..Shame he was undone by that knee because the fire and desire were still there..We are trotting out Errors 2.0 ffs..Wouldn't you take Old Man River Walk for those 10 minutes over him? :lol

BatManu20
01-06-2018, 12:31 AM

Ice009
01-06-2018, 12:34 AM
Still miss Timmy, tbh ..Shame he was undone by that knee because the fire and desire were still there..We are trotting out Errors 2.0 ffs..Wouldn't you take Old Man River Walk for those 10 minutes over him? :lol

I would take TD in any capacity over any of the bench bigs. I'm pretty sure he couldn't physically go due to his knees, otherwise, I think he'd still be playing IMO.

We gotta get rid of Joffery. Hopefully a decent big is bought out. I'd like to get someone like Zach Randolph if he is bought out.

BatManu20
01-06-2018, 12:41 AM

ducks
01-06-2018, 01:05 AM
Does manu drink wine like pop?

ElNono
01-06-2018, 03:32 AM
Does manu drink wine like pop?

He pisses on ducks, tbh

Canyonero
01-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Manu should retire in 2020 tbh

kaji157
01-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Lol that would be great.

BillMc
01-06-2018, 11:08 AM

No way, he'll be just hitting his stride. 2035 maybe

Ice009
01-06-2018, 11:22 AM

That would be awesome. My dream for Tim was to retire after 21 years with 7 rings. When Tim first started and won that first championship, my dream for him was to win at least 6 and tie Jordan. When he got to about 4 rings, I was hoping to one up Jordan. I felt that Tim needed at least 6 so people didn't forget about how great he was after he retired. We were so close to getting that or more. For me personally, I can't complain as most fans don't ever see 5 rings, but I wanted more for TD, as I felt from about his 2nd or 3rd NBA game that he was that great.

spursistan
04-10-2018, 06:09 AM
Bump..

He could do it for more years but I'm afraid he won't..Legend :cry..

spursistan
04-22-2018, 05:06 PM
One more year :cry..