PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades: Raptors @ Spurs Brought To You After the Destruction of a Paper Tiger

Robz4000
01-04-2017, 12:38 AM
The Story:
The Toronto Raptors came into the AT&T Center at the end of a long 6-game road trip that began before Christmas with a record of 23-10 (3-2 on their current road trip). The Spurs, meanwhile, played their first game at home this year following a a tough OT loss to the Hawks in Atlanta. With both teams being the 2-seed in their respective conferences, and with the history of these two teams' games in recent years, this was expected to be one of the better games of the NBA season. Instead we got a laugher from just about start to finish in the Spurs' favor.

The first quarter looked like it might start off rocky as per par with this team following a bad turnover by Danny Green. Thankfully it proved to be a microcosm as behind strong play from LMA in the post and outside the paint on both ends, Kawhi hitting literally everything, and Tony running the offense like a champ the Spurs quickly found themselves up 29-12. Unfortunately, things changed when the bench checked in and the Spurs saw hesitant play on the offensive end coupled with DeRozan hitting retarded shot after retarded shot saw the lead halved quickly before the team recovered to put the lead back at 11 by the end of the first quarter.

The second saw the lead generally stay between 9 and 13 points with neither bench playing well until LMA checked back in to push the lead back above 15. Once Kawhi and Tony rejoined their teammate the lead ballooned to 22 behind more strong shooting by Kawhi and LMA. This would end up being the biggest lead of the first half. In one of Pop's only head-scratching sequences of the game, he called a timeout that somewhat killed the Spurs' momentum and later checked Kawhi out with 2 mins to go in the half. This gave Toronto the chance to find their offensive rhythm a bit by scoring on four straight possessions. Unfortunately for Toronto they happen to be a bad defensive team; the Spurs kept pace and managed to go into halftime with a 60-41 lead.

The beginning of the third quarter was a scary one for the Spurs. Toronto came into the second half with a vengeance, scoring at the rim, on the perimeter, and with whatever the hell DeScruban decided to throw up while on the other end Gasol missed several open midrange shots. The lead shrunk to as little as 12 before Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard, and LaMarcus Aldridge went on a scoring binge of his own, capped of by a 3-pointer by Tony himself to put the lead back to 20. From then on Toronto never threatened again and the lead grew to 30 points behind a strong second stint from the bench, most notably Dewayne Dedmon who was substituted in for Gasol after a poor defensive sequence.

The fourth quarter was glorified practice time for both teams. The main highlights of this period was the block party the Spurs decided to throw, started by rookie Dejounte Murray's chase-down of CoJo after his turnover and finished by back-to-back monster swats by Dedmon and Bertans. Overall, this game was the best game for Kawhi/LMA/Parker as a trio so far in two years; what's more, when you look at how average to below-average the rest of the team looked in comparison and the Spurs still gave Toronto (the best offense statistically in the league, mind you) their only true beat-down of the season? That's impressive no matter how you swing it.

Now on to Denver to face the Nuggets.

Some things I noticed during the game:

-LMA is such an impactful player on both ends when he puts the effort in and isn't soft. If this is the LMA we're gonna get the rest of the way (iirc this is the point he picked it up last season) then :wow...

-Kawhi isn't that great at finishing around the rim, but he more than makes up for it with his ability to shoot the ball. However, it hammers down the fact the Spurs need a penetrator that can finish, which brings on my next point...

-MVParker has been on full display the past couple weeks. If he can keep it up then the Spurs definitely have all the tools they need to hang with Golden State and maybe win. Not so sure against teams like LAC/Utah/OKC that can exploit the Spurs' in other ways (soft big(s), terrible PnR defense, depth that can match or surpass the Spurs') but they definitely match up with the Dubs better than anyone else.

-I've been pretty vocal about my dislike of Gasol so far (a lot of effort issues on top of his already terrible feet on defense) but it looks like Pop is starting to get fed up with it too. The minutes distribution between him and Dedmon was more in Dedmon's favor tonight than we've usually seen, so hopefully the gulf in minutes keeps growing in his favor.

-Tonight was the first we've seen of Bertans in extended minutes since the MIL game (where he was ejected). Even though it was garbage time, I loved just about everything I saw from him tonight. Pop needs to get him back in the rotation; maybe give him some of Lee's minutes?

-We've all talked about Murray's explosiveness and ability to get to the rim on the offensive end, but the dude has the chance to be something truly special on the defensive end as well. Pop seems to think so as well since he was coaching him pretty hard during game stoppage on how to handle CoJo/Ross.

-Toronto, the #1 offense statistically in the NBA, had 59 points with 10 minutes to go in the game. :wow IN THE GAME. Most impressive defense the Spurs have played as a team so far this season.

Grades:

Kawhi Leonard - A-

Kawhi's second game back from the doo-doos was hundreds of times better than the first. He scored very efficiently, hitting 5-of-7 from three (all five in the first half) and 8-12 overall with some great defense on just about everyone. His only knock tonight was letting DeRozan go off, but most of his makes on Leonard were just tough shots and no one in the NBA takes more of those than DeScrub DeRozan himself. Most underrated impact of the game tonight was Leonard's rim protection against Toronto's small frontline.

LaMarcus Aldridge - A+

Man I love this version of LMA. Dude was imposing his will in the post tonight, hitting his wide open jumpers (including a nice 3-pointer), and passed out of double teams like a champ. He was also really strong on the defensive end whether in the post or out on the perimeter. Despite only having 8 rebounds I thought he boxed out really well and could've easily had 14+ if he so wished.

Danny Green - B+

Wasn't much need for LDN tonight with the team playing so well, but he definitely made his impact by shooting 2/3 from downtown and obliterating anyone he was guading on the defensive end up until the game was well in-hand. He did have two really bad turnovers early on, but they proved to be meaningless.

Tony Parker - A+

Best game from Tony this season. The last week has been an absolute joy to watch for Parker-stans, but tonight was his best all-around game since Game 3 against OKC last season. He ran the show well, setting up LMA and Kawhi and getting them rolling early with some nice finishes in the paint. In the second half when it appeared Toronto may threaten to make it a game he shut them down by scoring 7 straight points with some nice passes to LMA to push the lead again. If the Spurs get this version of Tony the rest of the way they truly will be a force to be reckoned with.

Pau Gasol - C

Gasol was the only somewhat downside to tonight's game. While he did play well against Valanciunus, against any other Toronto player he was either blown by or beaten for the rebound and gave up the easy put-back. Often times we saw Gasol let easy rebounds go by him for Toronto players to pick up, but thankfully they didn't make the Spurs pay much tonight. On offense he did keep the ball moving with the starters, but when it came to shooting he just couldn't seem to get it going.

Dewayne Dedmon - A-

Dedmon was an absolute menace in the post tonight, shutting down a lot of Toronto's drives to the rim and boxing out etremely well; like LMA he easily could've had double-digit rebounds if he so chose. He showed a really nice finish on the break from Tony early on, which has been a nice part of his game so far this season. Unfortunately he seems to get blocked at the rim rather easily and did so a few times tonight. Had a really nice volleyball spike in the fourth to show off det athleticism too.

Manu Ginobili - B

Spurs simply didn't need Super Manu tonight with Tony/LMA/Kawhi playing so well. Manu had a rather quiet game tonight, but fit in rather well on offense while playing the three-point line well on both ends. When he's left wide-open on the perimeter this season Manu really has been money which will be huge come playoff time.

Patty Mills - B+

Similarly with Manu, the Spurs simply didn't need Mills to force things tonight with the starters playing so well. Even then, Mills found ways to contribute without scoring with solid playmaking and rebounding especially when considering CoJo was his primary defender. Also didn't get lit up by CoJo on the defensive end.

Jonathon Simmons - B

Simmons was all over the place tonight, with both positive and negative results. He started off his stint passing up open 3-pointers that hurt the offense (and the one he chose to take was a bad shot). On the other hand, his defense on Ross was great and later on in the game he really brought it for the bench after the unit's poor stint in the first half. He has gotten better at not turning it over when he drives into the paint which can only help him draw fouls as his career goes on.

David Lee - B-

Quiet game from Lee for the most part. Since Toronto doesn't play with a lot of true bigs outside JV and Dedmon was having a great game he didn't have any consistent playing time. However, when he was in he played well on the offensive end and had a couple nice defensive sequences on the defensive end as well (though overall he was below average on that end as we've come to expect). Love having two good rebounders on the bench this year as opposed to last year.

Kyle Anderson - B

Barely noticed ol' Fathead on the court tonight, with all his time coming when the game was way out of reach. When I did pay attention to him he was rebounding well and had a couple assists with one headscratching TO. Not too much to take away from his play tonight but I'll be nice.

Dejounte Murray - C+

Real up-and-down game for Murray tonight. He was being guarded by our old friend CoJo most of his playing time, and we all know how difficult he can be on the defensive end. He did have a really nice floater at the end, and his shot looks better than it did in Summer League (though he missed the two he took). His sequence against CoJo at the beginning of his stint really summed up his night: had a bad turnover against CoJo, chased him down and made a great block, only to turn it right over out of bounds once again.

Davis Bertans - A

It was only garbage time, but I liked a lot of what I saw from Big Lat tonight. Had a couple good (one great) block, hit a three, and even sucked in the defense and set up an easy dunk for his teammate. Pop needs to get him back in the rotation, at least for 5-7 mins a game; dude deserves it.

Pop - A-

One of the best games from Pop this season. Didn't play any wonky lineups, had a clear game plan for the team going in, got into the officials/players when needed, and called plays for those who were feeling it and got on whoever was running the show whenever they missed an open man/had a terrible decision. Only complaint were two TOs called when the team could've piled it on in the first half.

Darius Bieber
01-04-2017, 12:41 AM
Thanks homie, good write up. :toast

cd98
01-04-2017, 12:46 AM
Bertrans needs to add another 30-40 pounds of muscle.

spurraider21
01-04-2017, 12:50 AM
-Kawhi isn't that great at finishing around the rim:lol dabom

YGWHI
01-04-2017, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the grades! :tu

Davis Bertans - A
It was only garbage time, but I liked a lot of what I saw from Big Lat tonight. Had a couple good (one great) block, hit a three, and even sucked in the defense and set up an easy dunk for his teammate. Pop needs to get him back in the rotation, at least for 5-7 mins a game; dude deserves it.

It's nice to see Pop staying big and taking advantage but at the same time that's limiting Bertrans rookie minutes, at some point of the season I'd like to see how this team works with a guy spreading the floor from his position.

dabom
01-04-2017, 01:08 AM
:lol dabom (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=47543)

Is OP a faggot with that write up? :lmao

YGWHI
01-04-2017, 01:13 AM

I doubt that Kawhi made a move to finish around the rim tonight except for the two fast breaks, he took only mid-js and 3's in the game.

But Kawhi has finished strong in most games of the season.

Especially in LA vs Clippers and his two games vs Bulls. I mention these three games because if we consider that Jordan was there as rim protector, Kawhi was still great at penetrating and finishig at the rim, and in the other two games Kawhi consistently beat a good defender like Buttler and went to the hoop many times.

TimDunkem
01-04-2017, 01:17 AM
Tha fuck?

SAGirl
01-04-2017, 01:23 AM
It was dominant display... Agreed with your entire review. I always appreciate them even when they have some bite bc you definitely put your effort in and show good observation. Thank you for the nice. :tu. I have thought Tony has been aggressive per Pop. Prior to the past MVPArker revival the Spurs were among the last in paint scoring and I do believe Pop's woke him up to attack the paint more, same way Pop has been putting the pressure on Lamarcus to do the same. If they continue to play like that coupled with Kawhi already at his level and LDN making shots the team is scary. Pau is and has been their weak link and I bet Pop will manage minutes and situations when the time comes. He has Dedmon it's not like there are no options.

As an aside, I'd like to see more Davis.
I know bc of dat fandom of mine maybe guys can't believe it but I do like him a lot and never thought his benching was KA related and I argued it in multiple threads. Davis has a tremendous advantage as a big bc of his blocks are the best aspect of his defense, he's sneaky good at them, his 3pt shooting stretching a defense makes it tougher for the opponent and his athleticism is surprising for a guy that is 6'10". It's a shame we haven seen him much bc he's shown a lot of game. I have like Lee just fine. Truthfully I am not a Lee fan, but I have recognized how much he has brought to the team but Bertans is a force of nature when he's shot is on and should play somehow. Maybe next season... I am not complaining or anything... It's just an observation and kind of a wish.

GSH
01-04-2017, 01:25 AM
Good write-up, and good set of grades.

During the game, Sean said something about Chip telling Bertans to take more 16-18 footers? I missed most of that, because someone was talking. Did anyone else hear what that was about?

Dedmon picked up 3 fouls in 24 minutes which, sadly, is an improvement. But one of them was a good foul, that stopped a dunk, and only gave up 1 FT. One was him playing good defense, and getting a shit call. If I remember right, the third was him reaching after someone else blew their assignment, and Dedmon just killed another easy score. Anyway, I don't remember any horrible stupid fouls from him tonight. That was one hell of a block that got taken away by the zebras.

When the team was struggling recently, Manu came in and gave almost super-human performances (for a senior citizen, especially). Tonight the Spurs didn't need that, but he was solid and consistent. If Manu can settle into that kind of pattern, I will make a big difference to the Spurs' prospects.

We've seen some of Lee's limitations - he struggles against guys with real size, and he's not a consistent scorer from outside the paint. But he's a hell of a finisher from close, and he's always bringing great energy. I'd a hell of a lot rather have him than West. Can you imagine what Pau would be like, if he gave Lee's amount of effort and energy?

I don't think anyone should underestimate the value of having a healthy Kawhi Leonard on the floor. Some will, of course.

spurs10
01-04-2017, 01:55 AM
Good write-up, and good set of grades.

During the game, Sean said something about Chip telling Bertans to take more 16-18 footers? I missed most of that, because someone was talking. Did anyone else hear what that was about?

Dedmon picked up 3 fouls in 24 minutes which, sadly, is an improvement. But one of them was a good foul, that stopped a dunk, and only gave up 1 FT. One was him playing good defense, and getting a shit call. If I remember right, the third was him reaching after someone else blew their assignment, and Dedmon just killed another easy score. Anyway, I don't remember any horrible stupid fouls from him tonight. That was one hell of a block that got taken away by the zebras.

When the team was struggling recently, Manu came in and gave almost super-human performances (for a senior citizen, especially). Tonight the Spurs didn't need that, but he was solid and consistent. If Manu can settle into that kind of pattern, I will make a big difference to the Spurs' prospects.

We've seen some of Lee's limitations - he struggles against guys with real size, and he's not a consistent scorer from outside the paint. But he's a hell of a finisher from close, and he's always bringing great energy. I'd a hell of a lot rather have him than West. Can you imagine what Pau would be like, if he gave Lee's amount of effort and energy?

I don't think anyone should underestimate the value of having a healthy Kawhi Leonard on the floor. Some will, of course. Thanks for the grades OP! Good take! Liked our effort!

timtonymanu
01-04-2017, 02:01 AM
Good stuff, robz.

ElNono
01-04-2017, 02:32 AM
you da man with da plan, Robz :tu

Fireball
01-04-2017, 03:51 AM

it was nothing special ... during halftime Chip told Bertans to shoot long two pointers instead of threes ... just a mental thing because Chip might have noticed something (perhaps Davis is shooting the three not that well in practice either)

daledondale
01-04-2017, 06:58 AM
Thanks Robz, good writeup.

ceperez
01-04-2017, 07:07 AM
The team with Green, Leonard, Dedmon and Aldrige has the right level of athleticism that they can give a very tough time for any offense.

If you can put in Simmons and some can orchestrate the offense then it'll be a very tough 5 to beat. Maybe Leonard needs to move to the point?

elemento
01-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the grades man

It was nice to watch the bench scrubs getting 6+ minutes. Murray was very shaky running the team, but he showed great defensive flashes with his length.

TOR had a crap game, but I was impressed with Derozan's ISO plays. Dude really developed his offensive arsenal. Other than that, it's hard to see this TOR team bothering Cleveland in the East. Their BIGs are straight up garbage. They need Millsap badly.

Brazil
01-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Thanks good grades

Pocho La Pantera
01-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Nice, thanks.

100%duncan
01-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Nice write up, feels like I watched the game

BillMc
01-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Nice write up. Thanks. :toast

GSH
01-04-2017, 10:39 AM
it was nothing special ... during halftime Chip told Bertans to shoot long two pointers instead of threes ... just a mental thing because Chip might have noticed something (perhaps Davis is shooting the three not that well in practice either)

Thanks. I couldn't tell if they were trying to re-define his role in-game or just working on his shot. When he showed up, most of us thought he was going to be a guy who could stand out on the perimeter and rain 3's. Without that, there's a lot less to get excited about.

$pursDynasty
01-04-2017, 10:44 AM
great honest objective and informative write up, though I figure doing those is way more enjoyable after we mop the floor with a +.500 team. thanks much appreciated :bobo

$pursDynasty
01-04-2017, 10:53 AM
back to the game, the only bad part of the game was Pop's substitution pattern. The starters went nova but then the bench promptly crapped the bed in the first half. They did much better in the 2nd but I think it might be time for Pop to consider never going full bench, at least against the good teams. To always leave a starter or two in the game at all times. Sort of how the Dubs never except in a blowout, have a rotation that doesn't include Curry, KD, Klay or Raymond. I would prefer Pau get a lions share of those minutes, giving the bench mob an experienced scorer to go to when the beautiful game breaks down, maybe a little Verde too. That plus I like the idea of Dwayne with the other starters I think that is the playoff starting unit. There are times when we go full bench when if Patty isn't hitting there is no offense to be found.There was a time when the Spurs bench was a decent eighth seed type team in and of itself but not so sure about that anymore, as this team is more top heavy now. KingSlayer, LMAlpha, MVParker, Verde and Pau would smoke Patty, Manu, Simmons, Lee and Dwayne way more often than not.

silverblackfan
01-04-2017, 11:13 AM
Great write up and accurate ratings for the team. Thanks!

I also would like to see more of Bertans this season. His athletic ability along with the threat of 3s is just too temping. He tries hard on defense, but it seems he is still a bit lost at times. He just needs to get more comfortable with the sets they run. He certainly is not intimidated. Maybe Pop can get some time for him in the next few months. He certainly is a weapon they can use.

GSH
01-04-2017, 11:19 AM
BTW, Robz - your quarter-by-quarter description of the game was really good. That is a great thing for those who didn't get to see the game. The way you wrote it up, it gave a good flavor for how the game looked, without being War and Peace. That's not easy to do. :tu

Chinook
01-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Thing that got me about Pau was that he kept hesitating on open shots. Have no idea why he was so jittery last night. But he's not out there for his defense. Dude needs to score.

DPG21920
01-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Thing that got me about Pau was that he kept hesitating on open shots. Have no idea why he was so jittery last night. But he's not out there for his defense. Dude needs to score.

Good news is I don't think that is an issue outside of momentary. He's been fairly aggressive (rightfully so) all year.

FkLA
01-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Trio? The Spurs have a duo not a trio. :td

A+ for a PG that had 5 FGAs and 1 assist in the 3rd Qtr? :td

Great write-up otherwise. :tu

Seventyniner
01-04-2017, 12:08 PM

The telecast showed that Pau leads the league in FG% on jumpers at over 48%. I didn't realize it was that high. He definitely needs to pull the trigger when he's open and has his feet set.

Cry Havoc
01-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Excellent game grades. I think overall they might be the best this year that I have ever seen. Props to those working the schedules.

Chinook
01-04-2017, 12:41 PM
The telecast showed that Pau leads the league in FG% on jumpers at over 48%. I didn't realize it was that high. He definitely needs to pull the trigger when he's open and has his feet set.

Pau's shooting numbers are actually pretty fascinating. He's below-average at the rim, but he excels at short twos. He isn't good from mid-range twos, but he's great at long-twos. Wouldn't surprise me if Pau's separation between open shots and contested shots was massive, even compared to other players.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Pau's shooting numbers are actually pretty fascinating. He's below-average at the rim, but he excels at short twos. He isn't good from mid-range twos, but he's great at long-twos. Wouldn't surprise me if Pau's separation between open shots and contested shots was massive, even compared to other players.

Great find, that really is bizarre :lol

Chinook
01-04-2017, 12:54 PM
A couple of other things I just noticed:

Manu it taking threes at a career-high clip, and he's hitting them at a rate that would be his second-best season if it holds up. He's also taking the highest rate of unassisted threes, but that makes sense when you think about it.

LMA is leading the team in 3P% but is last on the team in 3PA/FGA out of any player who's taken at least one three this year.

Bertans is third on the team in FG% at the rim, but he only takes one out of seven shots from that distance. He leads the team in 3PA/FGA, barely edging out Danny.

$pursDynasty
01-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Excellent game grades. I think overall they might be the best this year that I have ever seen. Props to those working the schedules.
I agree Havoc when I first joined ST back in the day, one of the things that set this site apart and why I kept coming back initially were the insightful game grades, which really helped in the days before I got League Pass. Then TimVP and the grades went away. The people that set up and maintain the 'guest' grader list and the graders themselves are doing a magnificent job. It really has increased my level of enjoyment on the site.

yavozerb
01-04-2017, 02:33 PM
I think this has to do with davis mindset. Dude thinks he can only take three's, by taking two's it changes his mindset and we'll force him to put the ball down and drive. Davis can be a scorer in this league, but he has to be offensive and force the issue sometimes

$pursDynasty
01-04-2017, 05:13 PM
alright we all know that raw +/- is a very flawed stat for comparing players but the numbers for this game are staggering, from +38 to -6. The starters numbers were obviously very high (+17 and above) except Pau (+11), and of the reserves it was Dwayne +20 and then the next best was +9. Guess this type of thing happens in a blowout. I didn't expect any spurs to have negative numbers.

BillMc
01-04-2017, 06:00 PM
I agree Havoc when I first joined ST back in the day, one of the things that set this site apart and why I kept coming back initially were the insightful game grades, which really helped in the days before I got League Pass. Then TimVP and the grades went away. The people that set up and maintain the 'guest' grader list and the graders themselves are doing a magnificent job. It really has increased my level of enjoyment on the site.

My experience exactly. I couldn't see most the games from Ukraine, so I came here for TiMvp's grade. Even though I've ILP now and see every game, I really miss those days when TiiMvp and Bruno were giving us insightful analysis. Now it's mainly a troll site. But these grades are a throwback. Hats off to Dhinook and others for organizing it. :toast

Bender
01-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Robz's grade threads are the best...

lefty20
01-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Bertrans needs to add another 30-40 pounds of muscle.

Not sure his knees can handle the it, tbh.

EVAY
01-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Great write-up and grades. Thanks a million. Enjoyable reading.

skulls138
01-04-2017, 10:28 PM
My experience exactly. I couldn't see most the games from Ukraine, so I came here for TiMvp's grade. Even though I've ILP now and see every game, I really miss those days when TiiMvp and Bruno were giving us insightful analysis. Now it's mainly a troll site. But these grades are a throwback. Hats off to Dhinook and others for organizing it. :toast

cjw
01-04-2017, 11:01 PM
For the counting stat affectionados, LaMarcus averaging 22.7 / 9.7 / 3.0 plus 1.7 blocks + steals and only 1.2 TO / 2.0 fouls over his past six games in 35 mpg. 66.3% shooting

For the plus / minus lovers, he's +112 in that span or +25.6 per 48 minutes.

For advanced stat geeks, he's got a +40 net Rtg and over a 70% TS%. Parker haters will complain about his usage only being at 23% in that span (in the five Parker's played, his USG% has been 29%).

BillMc
01-04-2017, 11:06 PM
For the counting stat affectionados, LaMarcus averaging 22.7 / 9.7 / 3.0 plus 1.7 blocks + steals and only 1.2 TO / 2.0 fouls over his past six games in 35 mpg. 66.3% shooting

For the plus / minus lovers, he's +112 in that span or +25.6 per 48 minutes.

For advanced stat geeks, he's got a +40 net Rtg and over a 70% TS%. Parker haters will complain about his usage only being at 23% in that span (in the five Parker's played, his USG% has been 29%).

Cheers.:toast