PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green is #2 in the NBA in 3 point shooting at 46%

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2017, 10:42 PM
One hell of a bounce back year so far. When Danny plays well everything becomes so much easier for the Spurs.

Hopefully he keeps it up :tu

cjw
01-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Also third among SG in RPM

gambit1990
01-04-2017, 11:47 PM
:tu

GSH
01-05-2017, 12:40 AM
The problem with that is that he's 50th on 3PM. So he's been able to move his 3P% up pretty quickly, because he just hasn't shot that many.

But that's not even the worst part. He's only made 18 2-pointers so far this season. That puts him WAY down on the list, among the other 3P leaders. And his 2P% isn't much better than his 3P%. The funny thing is, his 3PA/36 is just about the same as last year. The good news is that he's on track to get back to his 14-15 scoring numbers lately. The bad news is, it's his 2P attempts that are down by about half. In other words, he's shooting the 3 about as often as he did before, which means that he's not likely going to get a lot more 3P attempts per game or per-36. And I cringe at the thought of him shooting more 2's.

Here's a crazy stat. He's shooting .591 from 3P with 3 minutes or less left in the quarter, and he's shooting .533 from 3P in fourth quarters. It's not just your imagination. Danny really has been the LDN at the end of quarters, and at the end of games.

Chinook
01-05-2017, 01:01 AM
I keep on saying it, but he doesn't get a big enough piece of the offense. His average yield of 2.1/4.5 threes a game is perfect for a floor-spacer. But it's awful for a shooter of his caliber. I can understand him getting pushed down the rung by other players, but those players also need to look for him when they aren't open, because a clean Danny three is about the best shot the Spurs can hope for.

spurs10
01-05-2017, 01:06 AM
I keep on saying it, but he doesn't get a big enough piece of the offense. His average yield of 2.1/4.5 threes a game is perfect for a floor-spacer. But it's awful for a shooter of his caliber. I can understand him getting pushed down the rung by other players, but those players also need to look for him when they aren't open, because a clean Danny three is about the best shot the Spurs can hope for. Word!

GSH
01-05-2017, 01:12 AM
I keep on saying it, but he doesn't get a big enough piece of the offense. His average yield of 2.1/4.5 threes a game is perfect for a floor-spacer. But it's awful for a shooter of his caliber. I can understand him getting pushed down the rung by other players, but those players also need to look for him when they aren't open, because a clean Danny three is about the best shot the Spurs can hope for.

Maybe now that he's shooting such a good percentage, they will go to him more often.

Still, I was really shocked to see that he's shooting 3's slightly more often than he did last year, and only a little less than his career average for 3PA/36. It feels like he's hardly taking any 3's. As crazy as it seems, it's his 2P attempt rate that is way below normal.

Check out his attempts per-36 minutes. It doesn't look at all like what I would have said from memory: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenda02.html

Still, I agree that I would like to see him get more 3P attempts.

Chinook
01-05-2017, 01:34 AM
Maybe now that he's shooting such a good percentage, they will go to him more often.

Still, I was really shocked to see that he's shooting 3's slightly more often than he did last year, and only a little less than his career average for 3PA/36. It feels like he's hardly taking any 3's. As crazy as it seems, it's his 2P attempt rate that is way below normal.

Check out his attempts per-36 minutes. It doesn't look at all like what I would have said from memory: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenda02.html

Still, I agree that I would like to see him get more 3P attempts.

Indeed, I did look at them after your first post and found it interesting. He also doesn't seem to be a horrible shooter from most spots inside the arch this year. He's shooting a respectable distance from inside five feet and beyond 15. It's that mid-range two that's getting him, which I imagine is more the result of floaters after he realized he couldn't get to the rim. But that's also the range for his OOB off-screen shot. I don't think his inside-the-arc game is any worse, but he's moved away from it given the current roster, and I understand that. He's second on the team in terms of 3PA/FGA, with only Bertans above him. He knows his role, I guess.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2017, 02:23 AM

Don't you feel part of it is that this Spurs team has some of the worst spacing we have seen in a long long time forcing Danny to have to cut to the basket a lot more than he'd like? SA isn't generating nearly as many looks for him as they were back in 13, 14, and the 2015 seasons it seems.

Darius Bieber
01-05-2017, 02:54 AM
OP jinxed him now.. season ending injury coming up tbh.

Arcadian
01-05-2017, 03:47 AM
See, last year was just an outlier. A fluctuation in the signal. A "fluke."

John Petrucci
01-05-2017, 05:24 AM
OP jinxed him now.. season ending injury coming up tbh.

"Oh no it wasnt hi-...*scrolls up*...Dear God."

UNT Eagles 2016
01-05-2017, 06:25 AM
Green needs to learn to score and create his own shot 1-on-1 with the ball in his hands at the perimeter...

boutons_deux
01-05-2017, 06:32 AM
Green needs to learn to score and create his own shot 1-on-1 with the ball in his hands at the perimeter...

at his age, ain't gonna happen. He's at his ceiling.

Chinook
01-05-2017, 07:02 AM

Why? That wouldn't help the team at all unless he got really, really good at it (as in near Kawhi's level).

Chinook
01-05-2017, 07:08 AM
Don't you feel part of it is that this Spurs team has some of the worst spacing we have seen in a long long time forcing Danny to have to cut to the basket a lot more than he'd like? SA isn't generating nearly as many looks for him as they were back in 13, 14, and the 2015 seasons it seems.

It's not about spacing to me. It's that their offense isn't predictable enough. I've gone into that a few times already, so I won't type out the usual long reply. But I mean that Danny went from know when his many were going to help off him and where he needed to be to get an open look to having to find openings where the defense creates the windows. As he and LMA have gotten more used to each other, they've become better able to get a predictable timing down. But with Kawhi's role still developing and with adding Pau to the mix, there's still a ways to go.

Fireball
01-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Greens play is very dependent on TP... the way TP was able to penetrate the last two weeks it makes Dannys game much easier ... DG just does not get enough attempts

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2017, 11:15 AM
It's not about spacing to me. It's that their offense isn't predictable enough. I've gone into that a few times already, so I won't type out the usual long reply. But I mean that Danny went from know when his many were going to help off him and where he needed to be to get an open look to having to find openings where the defense creates the windows. As he and LMA have gotten more used to each other, they've become better able to get a predictable timing down. But with Kawhi's role still developing and with adding Pau to the mix, there's still a ways to go.

Good call :tu

Dex
01-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Yeah, no...he already tried doing more of that last season, and I partially blame that for his slump.

Danny needs to be on the perimeter and focused on one thing: gunning. He doesn't need the distraction of trying to determine whether he should shoot, drive, or create.

Green's threeball is one of the Spurs strongest weapons, but any two pointer he takes would be better served being taken by almost any other player...even layups, with the way he finishes.

gambit1990
01-05-2017, 11:19 AM
:lol

Chinook
01-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Yeah, no...he already tried doing more of that last season, and I partially blame that for his slump.

Danny needs to be on the perimeter and focused on one thing: gunning. He doesn't need the distraction of trying to determine whether he should shoot, drive, or create.

Green's threeball is one of the Spurs strongest weapons, but any two pointer he takes would be better served being taken by almost any other player...even layups, with the way he finishes.

He's actually the best finisher on the team this year for some reason. Dude's shooting 80 percent inside three feet. Gotta love that shot-selection.

Dex
01-05-2017, 12:04 PM
He's actually the best finisher on the team this year for some reason. Dude's shooting 80 percent inside three feet. Gotta love that shot-selection.

Wow. Color me surprised.

I TAKE IT ALL BACK DANNY!!!!

Chinook
01-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Wow. Color me surprised.

I TAKE IT ALL BACK DANNY!!!!

I think he's 12/15 this year. That's really good for anyone. And they haven't all been easy -- he's had a couple of reverses in there too. Danny's problem is that between 3-16 feet, he's been pretty bad this year. Layups, long-twos and threes have all been great.

bklynspursfan
01-05-2017, 12:12 PM

I don't think that makes him the best finisher on the team tho lol. Curious how many he's taken. I will say he's done a solid job of cutting to the basket more, so that helps too, cause he's had open looks there to finish

Like I think Lee probably has been 1 of, if not the best finisher around the rim/in traffic.

BillMc
01-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Danny is a Long Distance Nemesis to opposing teams. (That's what LDN stands for right? :lol)

BillMc
01-05-2017, 02:17 PM

Truth.

He may get more shots, paradoxically, as LMA gets more aggressive. The double teams come and Danny is open. I think with Kawhi on the perimeter or Gasol at the top of the key being the focal point of the offense, Danny doesn't always get the clean shots.

Brazil
01-05-2017, 02:26 PM
:tu

:lol

:lmao typical contribution of gambshit when topic is not Tony Parker

Dude has no opinion/take whatsoever about anything not related to Parker just :tu and :lol

PÒÓCH
01-05-2017, 02:29 PM
The problem with that is that he's 50th on 3PM. So he's been able to move his 3P% up pretty quickly, because he just hasn't shot that many.

But that's not even the worst part. He's only made 18 2-pointers so far this season. That puts him WAY down on the list, among the other 3P leaders. And his 2P% isn't much better than his 3P%. The funny thing is, his 3PA/36 is just about the same as last year. The good news is that he's on track to get back to his 14-15 scoring numbers lately. The bad news is, it's his 2P attempts that are down by about half. In other words, he's shooting the 3 about as often as he did before, which means that he's not likely going to get a lot more 3P attempts per game or per-36. And I cringe at the thought of him shooting more 2's.

Here's a crazy stat. He's shooting .591 from 3P with 3 minutes or less left in the quarter, and he's shooting .533 from 3P in fourth quarters. It's not just your imagination. Danny really has been the LDN at the end of quarters, and at the end of games.

And next you'll tell us Santa isn't real. Party pooper.

From Downtown
01-05-2017, 02:46 PM
I think he's 12/15 this year. That's really good for anyone. And they haven't all been easy -- he's had a couple of reverses in there too. Danny's problem is that between 3-16 feet, he's been pretty bad this year. Layups, long-twos and threes have all been great.

Those damn floaters

bklynspursfan
01-05-2017, 03:05 PM
He needs to be in the 3 point contest this year.

BillMc
01-05-2017, 03:08 PM
He needs to be in the 3 point contest this year.

Yep.

Danny is one of the best 3 point shooters never invited to the contest. He's also one of the best defenders who never makes an All-D team. He's almost the definitive 3 and D guy.

Underappreciated outside of SA and a few "The D-league works" montages.

dabom
01-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Yep.

Danny is one of the best 3 point shooters never invited to the contest. He's also one of the best defenders who never makes an All-D team. He's almost the definitive 3 and D guy.

The one time the Spurs got invited, he won. :lol

Beli a few years back. :lol

BillMc
01-05-2017, 03:13 PM

Yep. :toastThat Beli contest was a lot of fun. Wish we could get Beli back on our bench.

bklynspursfan
01-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Yep.

No doubt. Heck I'd like to see he & Patty in there with him shooting so well too, but just getting 1 Spur in there we should feel fortunate.

GSH
01-05-2017, 03:31 PM

Bonner was there the year before. He put up 20 in the Finals, which is enough to win, most years. And he was second. Usually when the first guy shoots lights-out, the second guy crumbles. Bonner did damned good.

gambit1990
01-05-2017, 03:35 PM
:lmao typical contribution of gambshit when topic is not Tony Parker

Dude has no opinion/take whatsoever about anything not related to Parker just :tu and :lol
you don't know what you're talking about and i'm not surprised.

before training camp even started i said bertans would make the roster and said dedmon would surprise doubters. and i picked simmons over kyle in that thread made last year.

BillMc
01-05-2017, 03:36 PM
No doubt. Heck I'd like to see he & Patty in there with him shooting so well too, but just getting 1 Spur in there we should feel fortunate.

Agreed.

100%duncan
01-06-2017, 08:44 AM

Green literally makes and have made this team before play a tier higher when he's LDN.