PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs better with Gasol coming off the bench?

01-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Lowe wrote an article on ESPN and claimed "Post-up bigs who can't shoot 3s or defend smaller players -- Greg Monroe, Jahlil Okafor, Al Jefferson, Enes Kanter, Nikola Vucevic -- have already been relegated to bench roles."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18408222/zach-lowe-nba-scoring-explosion

We all know Gasol and Parker get diced up by any decent PnR combo. With Andrew Bogut's recent willingness to come off the bench himself, should the Spurs try to convince Gasol to do it too? Gasol is trying to evolve with 3 point shooting but he really only averages 1 attempt a game.

Gasol's struggle with the PnR is nothing new. He's been bad since his time on the Bulls. I can see Gasol doing much better off the bench like Kanter and Vucevic have been doing. Minutes can stay the same but Dedmon should start. Will Pop have the courage to bench Gasol and can Gasol's ego handle it?

Seventyniner
01-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Unlikely we'll ever get to find out. But he does have another gear, just remains to see if we get to see it before (and in?) the playoffs.

TheGreatYacht
01-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Lowe is a vanilla writer tbh....

Phenomanul
01-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Pop probably already knows this but doesn't want other teams to scout the Spurs (with either Dedmon or Lee in the Starting Lineup in place of Pau)...

Mr. Body
01-05-2017, 04:06 PM
Amazing how different the NBA is from 20 years ago.

Mr. Body
01-05-2017, 04:06 PM
And no, I don't expect Gasol to ever come off the bench.

bklynspursfan
01-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Bogut volunteered to come off the bench. Idk if Pau does the same, probably not. If Pop makes the move he'll have to deal with it tho.

All Mighty Janitor
01-05-2017, 04:13 PM
I know I made the poll about possibly starting Dedmon over Pau, but if Parker keeps playing like he has then Pau is the better choice to start. He gives Parker space and Parker frees up Kawhi to put in the extra work defensively need to make up for Pau's defense deficiencies. Danny will also get more shots, will have more paint points, and and everybody will take easier shots. Parke'rs play really stabilizes all are lineups, and he plays best with Pau.

Chinook
01-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Gasol is hardly a post-up player, especially for the Spurs. He's pretty much been a better version of last year's Tim on that end. Lowe's seemingly lost it. The dude though the Spurs were in the same tier as the Celtics.

Fireball
01-05-2017, 04:36 PM
it says "or" ... so Gasol can still start because he shoots the three well enough

despite this I really would like to have Pau miss a few games just to see an Aldridge/Dedmon combo start and also have Bertans coming off the bench playing regular minutes

jermaine
01-05-2017, 04:51 PM
I know I made the poll about possibly starting Dedmon over Pau, but if Parker keeps playing like he has then Pau is the better choice to start. He gives Parker space and Parker frees up Kawhi to put in the extra work defensively need to make up for Pau's defense deficiencies. Danny will also get more shots, will have more paint points, and and everybody will take easier shots. Parke'rs play really stabilizes all are lineups, and he plays best with Pau.

I'm Willie Jermaine Webb, an I approve this post!!!