PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades (01/5): Spurs @ Nuggets (Game 36 of 82)

From Downtown
01-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Tony Parker: A+
23 MIN - 21 PTS - 9 AST - 3 REB - 10/11 FG - 1/1 3PT - 1 TO - +15 +/-

I don't know if we're getting this Parker in the playoffs, but if we are they're gonna be really interesting
He was perfect yesterday, scored efficiently from both mid-range jumpers and layups, assisted well and often tried to get the ball to LMA and Kawhi in the post, he even had a couple of really nice defensive possessions and he wasn't a negative on that end at all
Him looking this spry is huge for us, because that opens up the paint not just for LMA and Pau on the pick'n'pop but also for Green who's been getting quite a few open looks lately

Patty Mills: C-
18 MIN - 5 PTS - 4 AST - 1 REB - 2/6 FG - 1 STL - 1/3 3PT - +7 +/-

I'm not sure about his grade, maybe it is a bit too harsh, but I just don't like him when he's not hitting and still rushes shots, even ones with no chance of going in, he's just too undersized on defense and not enough skilled as a ballhandler to make up for it
The 4 assists are nice though, and he had 0 turnovers

Danny Green: C+
25 MIN - 6 PTS - 2 AST - 5 REB - 2/7 FG - 1 BLK - 1 STL - 2/6 3PT - 1 TO - +16 +/-

He missed a ton of open 3 pointers, and I thought he struggled a bit too much on Gary Harris (who's good by the way) in the first half, getting beaten off the dribble and also not being able to avoid Harris' cuts with the ball in Jokic's hands
He stepped up on the defensive end in the 2nd half and was key in us getting that big lead in the 3rd, that's deserving of a "+"

Manu Ginobili: B
18 MIN - 11 PTS - 3 AST - 3 REB - 4/10 - 1 BLK - 1 STL - 3/6 3PT - -1 +/-

Surprisingly he was the only negative on the team in terms of plus minus, but his stats were good and so was his game
I didn't like the fact that he rushed a couple of decisions on both ends, especially when going for 2 pointers on the offensive end and when helped too soon on defense, but overall he was good, he didn't turn the ball over and shot the 3 well, which was needed considering both Patty and Danny struggled a bit, and he is lowkey having a career year from behind the arc, a sign that his legs are still there
He also had a couple of big plays on defense in the 3rd, that block on Nelson in transition was huge

Kawhi Leonard: B+
36 MIN - 24 PTS - 5 AST - 6 REB - 9/19 - 1 BLK - 3/6 3PT - 3/4 FT - 1 TO - +26 +/-

I know I shouldn't say this, but his decision-making irks me at times
He clearly is capable of taking and making difficult or even bad shots, he showed it many times and did in this game as well, but sometimes passing to the open man is just the better option, especially on a night when you're not hitting like you usually do
He had 5 assists and shot just under 50%, so it wasn't a Kobe-esque performance in any way, but it's just something I think he needs to improve
Having said that, while people are stupidly discussing his role on defense, he had an amazing performance on that end: his hands were all over the place and he was responsible for Gallo having a rather quiet night

LaMarcus Aldridge: A+
32 MIN - 28 PTS - 1 AST - 4 REB - 11/18 FG - 1 BLK - 1 STL - 1/1 3PT - 5/6 FT - 1 TO - +13 +/-

He's a monster right now, scoring efficiently and attacking the basket instead of setting for fadeaways, defending, handling double-teams rather well, if he starts shooting 3s more often he might become unstoppable
Maybe he could've rebounded better, but honestly there's not much more you can ask after a performance like this one

Pau Gasol: B+
34 MIN - 17 PTS - 4 AST - 9 REB - 7/9 - 3 BLK - 1/1 - 2/3 - 1 TO - +27 +/-

He was nearly perfect from the field and picked up his spots playing within the offense
Pop this game tried experimenting by stacking him and LMA, which might be an idea, but they're starting to find a good balance, at least on the offensive end
He had 9 boards, although he got beaten on the glass by Jokic a couple of times, and he also showed that when locked in he's a pretty good rim-protector
The only thing was that he had problems against both Jokic, who feasted on him in the first quarter, and also Nurkic, and that's why it's not an "A-" or "A"

Kyle Anderson: B
8 MIN - 6 PTS - 1 AST - 1 REB - 3/4 FG - 1 STL - +8 +/-

He played a couple of stints when the game was still on the line and looked like his usual self, hesitant on offense but way more than serviceable on the defensive end
In garbage time he was more aggressive and even got to the basket
The grade may be high, but I liked what I saw

Johnaton Simmons: D+
13 MIN - 5 PTS - 0 AST - 0 REB - 1/1 FG - 3/4 FT - 1 TO - +10 +/-

He can score at will against other teams' end of the bench guys, we already know that, but during the first three quarters he didn't bring the energy like he usually do, he rarely got or asked for the ball and never managed to be dangerous with his penetrations
At some point Pop wasn't happy with his defense as well, it just wasn't his game I suppose

David Lee: B
6 MIN - 0 PTS - 1 AST - 5 REB - 0/1 FG - 1 BLK - 1 TO - +6 +/-

Pop went away from him in this game, probably because he wanted to try different combinations with Dedmon on the court as well as us going small for stretches
I'd take the 5 rebounds and +6 in just 6 minutes

Dewayne Dedmon: C
12 MIN - 2 PTS - 1 AST - 3 REB - 1/2 FG - +1 +/-

It seems to me he has regressed since the start of the year, he needs to get to a point where his defense totally makes up for his lack of offense, and he's just not there yet

daledondale
01-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the grades. Good Read!.

jag
01-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Tony's going to blow his load too soon. He needs to shut it down and coast to the playoffs.

GSH
01-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the grades, and pretty fair overall.

I have to disagree with you about Simmons. The Spurs couldn't stop shit in the first quarter. I think Denver only had one, or maybe two empty possessions up to the point that Simmons came into the game. They had scored 27 points in the first 8 minutes of the game. They only scored 6 over the last 4 minutes that he was in the game. I'm not saying he was single-handedly responsible, but the complexion of the game changed when he got on the floor. I agree about his offense, but his energy and harassing defense did a lot to break the rhythm the Nuggets had going. I noticed it from the first couple of possessions he was in. I don't remember if I commented on it in the game thread, but we were talking about it while we watched.

Even on the offensive end, he got to the line 4 times in 14 minutes. On a per-36 basis, that's pretty damned big. He also had a really nice lefty scoop for a score that I thought was impressive, and Sean commented on during the game. He did have one turnover, but overall I wouldn't have gone as low as a D+ for him.

Not a gripe, just what I saw. It takes a lot to put grades up and let people take pot shots at them. Thanks again. :toast

Pocho La Pantera
01-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Thanks!

Brazil
01-06-2017, 10:25 AM
:tu

Horse
01-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Wonder if Tony is finally healthy haven't seen the tear drops falling or him getting to the rim so easy in a long, long time.

Robz4000
01-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the grades :toast

SAGirl
01-06-2017, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the review!!!! :toast

sasaint
01-06-2017, 05:08 PM
I missed the game, so the grades are especially appreciated. Thanks.

ElNono
01-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Grazie amici...

wildbill2u
01-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Very objective comments and grades which is much appreciated. The type of comments I'd like to discuss over a beer or six. :-)

Spurtacular
01-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Made money on a second Spurs game in a row, tbh. A+

Seventyniner
01-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the grades. :toast

I also think that Kawhi can be a bit more selective in his shots. While he's still pretty efficient, settling for contested long 2s drives me crazy, and it feels like he's doing that more often lately.

I also want to see Kawhi and LMA have better chemistry. One sequence stood out where LMA was doubled on the elbow and Kawhi was wide open on a cut to the basket but LMA never saw him (and just canned a jumper instead), then a bit later Kawhi was doubled on the perimeter and LMA was wide open under the basket, but Kawhi didn't see him.

skulls138
01-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the grades. :toast

I also think that Kawhi can be a bit more selective in his shots. While he's still pretty efficient, settling for contested long 2s drives me crazy, and it feels like he's doing that more often lately.

I also want to see Kawhi and LMA have better chemistry. One sequence stood out where LMA was doubled on the elbow and Kawhi was wide open on a cut to the basket but LMA never saw him (and just canned a jumper instead), then a bit later Kawhi was doubled on the perimeter and LMA was wide open under the basket, but Kawhi didn't see him.I agree about Kawhi but Ill also say that forcing shots may be a product of him being forced to be the man, something that is a work in progress. I think if he doesnt force things now and again he'll get too passive.

And about the chemistry between LA and Kawhi, its getting better, especially with LA passing out of that double team effectively. Not necessarily to Kawhi but I saw one play where LA passed out and it went around the horn straight to KL...swish. I gave that a fist pump. But yes the chemistry between those two has to be good by playoffs.

FkLA
01-06-2017, 09:12 PM
It's called playing PHX, POR, TOR, ATL, and DEN.

If you think he'll play like this against the NBA's elite you're setting yourself up for disappointment. :lol

skulls138
01-06-2017, 09:18 PM

If you think he'll play like this against the NBA's elite you're setting yourself up for disappointment. :lolI think youd rather be right than win.

ducks
01-06-2017, 09:36 PM

If you think he'll play like this against the NBA's elite you're setting yourself up for disappointment. :lol
All stars numbers not as good against title contenders

SnakeBoy
01-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Nice write up & good grades.