PDA

View Full Version : Hawks firesale...anything that Spurs could use?

$pursDynasty
01-07-2017, 01:41 AM
If the Hawks are giving away assets for a warm bottle of spit, what do they have that can benefit the Spurs?
Millsaps just went Nova on us, vet Eastern conference all-star with offensive game and good enough on defense. With :lma at Center can carry more of the load on offense, which might allow :clawto save more energy for defense. Also allowing Pau to add his veteran savvy to the second unit.

Howard, could add defense and more rim protection to the starting unit, while Pau, see above. Dwight could also give some points on offense come playoff time, more so than Dewayne can.

If the Hawks are giving stuff away, why not? If not what do the Spurs need, that is realistically attainable?

BillMc
01-07-2017, 01:45 AM
Milsap would be great but LMA doesn't want to play center. He made a big deal about that when he was being recruited.

TXstbobcat
01-07-2017, 01:50 AM
Would like to see Dennis Schroeder in a Spurs uniform but I seriously doubt that the Hawks would even think about trading him.

$pursDynasty
01-07-2017, 01:58 AM
Schroeder seems to be the only untouchable player, under contract for awhile, but he try why not?

BillMc
01-07-2017, 02:02 AM
Dwight must be pissed. :lol

$pursDynasty
01-07-2017, 02:19 AM
Dwight must be pissed. :lol
He can't carry a team even to an eighth seed, but could be valuable role player for us.

will_spurs
01-07-2017, 02:43 AM
Dwight Howard is a loser. Hopefully he goes to one of the other contenders and wrecks them.

Mnky
01-07-2017, 05:59 AM
Milsap would be great but LMA doesn't want to play center. He made a big deal about that when he was being recruited.

He's been playing plenty of center since he signed on. Not sure why people still think this an issue.

Fireball
01-07-2017, 06:20 AM
Schroeder is not Spurs material ... Good player but will never get over himself

GSH
01-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Man, I understand blowing a team up. But aren't you supposed to get good picks and prospects?

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Man, I understand blowing a team up. But aren't you supposed to get good picks and prospects?

Market dynamics. Korver is a half year rental and has pending free agency ( this negates his value as a player). Plus, the demand for Korver is small considering only competitive playoff teams or title contenders would be in the market for him. Why would a team that is rebuilding, or deep in the lottery give up a top 15 pick for a 35 yr old, half year rental with upcoming free agency? The best the Hawks could hope for was a late 1st round pick and they got it.

Same with Millsap, Hawks won't get great value back because the market dynamics hurts his value ( 1/2 year rental, and pending UFA where a max is due). Now, he'll get back better value than Korver, but the Hawks won't get anything great.

I got into it on Twitter with Matt Moore and Brian Getzweiler like 2 weeks ago because they were so sure Millsap should get back great value because he's an All Star ( totally oblivious to market dynamics). As it turns out, Hawks aren't getting great offers, which was actually reported by Brian yesterday.

I think a Ross, Sullinger, Patterson + LAC's first for Millsap/ Bembry is as good as it gets for ATL or something close to it. Pelicans are reported interested as well, but I don't see them coming up with an offer that's better.

Wes Wilcox has done a poor job with both Korver and Millsap. He should have anticipated the teams situation regarding the two players ahead of time and sold higher on Millsap and Korver last summer or last year around the deadline. He could have netted back much better assets instead of waiting til the last minute when they have months left on their contract before Free Agency.

tbear280
01-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Sefolosha would be a great defensive addition, but I think we're all 99.9% sure Spurs don't make any moves.

DPG21920
01-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Hard to blame them for not selling last year IMO. Huge off season with free agency and plenty of money. Fortunes can change rapidly when you have the market conditions of last year.

Then they landed Dwight so they needed to see how the team looked before pulling the trigger. They actually looked good before various injuries started derailing them.

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Hard to blame them for not selling last year IMO. Huge off season with free agency and plenty of money. Fortunes can change rapidly when you have the market conditions of last year.

Then they landed Dwight so they needed to see how the team looked before pulling the trigger. They actually looked good before various injuries started derailing them.

Not really, they are selling them when theyre viable playoff team, currently in the 4th seed. How good they are as a team is irrelevant to the two situations.

DPG21920
01-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Not really, they are selling them when theyre viable playoff team, currently in the 4th seed. How good they are as a team is irrelevant to the two situations.

Agree to disagree. You knocked them for not having foresight. Easier said than done with market conditions IMO. Sure, with hindsight, they lost value, but it was a gamble they had to take especially with landing Dwight.

Kawhitstorm
01-07-2017, 11:29 AM
I think a Ross, Sullinger, Patterson + LAC's first for Millsap/ Bembry is as good as it gets for ATL or something close to it. Pelicans are reported interested as well, but I don't see them coming up with an offer that's better.

Kings also want in & could offer something like Rudy/WCS + a protected 1st rd pick. They can move Dwight/Thabo to the Blazers for Harkless/Crabbe & rebuild w/ Schroder/Crabbe/Bazermore/Harkless/WSC.

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Agree to disagree. You knocked them for not having foresight. Easier said than done with market conditions IMO. Sure, with hindsight, they lost value, but it was a gamble they had to take especially with landing Dwight.

Fair enough, but what was the gamble w/ Dwight? You're implying that they whiffed with the gamble when they're 4th seed in the East. Flipping Horford for Howard and trading away Teague wasn't going to catapult them into contention.

They deserve the knock for not selling Korver/ Millsap higher than they did/will IMO.

Kawhitstorm
01-07-2017, 11:38 AM
I can't wait till the Duds pick up Tiago Shitter after they got punked by Z-Bo.:lol

DPG21920
01-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Fair enough, but what was the gamble w/ Dwight? You're implying that they whiffed with the gamble when they're 4th seed in the East. Flipping Horford for Howard and trading away Teague wasn't going to catapult them into contention.

They deserve the knock for not selling Korver/ Millsap higher than they did/will IMO.

Well, the East is still pretty crappy. While they are the 4th seed today, they have been in that position for a while (made the 2nd round last year, and ECF year before). They knew, despite being a playoff team and getting past the first round 2 years in a row that they truly weren't a contender. They maybe felt they were close and thought perhaps this huge boost in the cap might catapult them further than before. They didn't land KD or anything but they had no chance at that if they lost Al & Korver & Millsap. Once that was decided, they turned to Dwight and landed him. Not a huge upgrade in your eyes (or mine) over Horford, but I think enough of a big move to see how it shook out.

Not a guarantee but a decent enough plan (especially is Dennis & Kent could continue to take next step). Now they quickly realize, even though they are still a playoff team, that they truly aren't any better than before. That and FA looming made them make the decision.

I'm not saying it was the perfect plan or move and I think many would have been ok with them blowing it up last year with more value. Especially with hindsight. I'm just saying I personally don't knock them too hard for that because of the logic above even if it did end up costing them good value.

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Well, the East is still pretty crappy. While they are the 4th seed today, they have been in that position for a while (made the 2nd round last year, and ECF year before). They knew, despite being a playoff team and getting past the first round 2 years in a row that they truly weren't a contender. They maybe felt they were close and thought perhaps this huge boost in the cap might catapult them further than before. They didn't land KD or anything but they had no chance at that if they lost Al & Korver & Millsap. Once that was decided, they turned to Dwight and landed him. Not a huge upgrade in your eyes (or mine) over Horford, but I think enough of a big move to see how it shook out.

Not a guarantee but a decent enough plan (especially is Dennis & Kent could continue to take next step). Now they quickly realize, even though they are still a playoff team, that they truly aren't any better than before. That and FA looming made them make the decision.

This is just my two cents, but when teams are not in contention they should make moves that benefit the long run until they are in contention. Only at that point in time is when holding on, or trading assets for short term help/expiring is worth it. IMO

What gets teams or franchises in trouble is their lack of objectively assessing the reality of their team. Now the Hawks are going to have very little to show for Horford, Millsap and Korver.

TheGreatYacht
01-07-2017, 11:51 AM
I can't wait till the Duds pick up Tiago Shitter after they got punked by Z-Bo.:lol
Cant wait to watch our guards block his shit then. Murray or Simmons?

Kawhitstorm
01-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Cant wait to watch our guards block his shit then. Murray or Simmons?

He has to step on the court first unless you're talking about cock blocking.:lol

You know Sideshow Bob is going to recruit him when he gets bought out.:lol

r0drig0lac
01-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Taurean Prince (obviously 0% chance), i would like Thabo

Cklbmk
01-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Salaries too hard to match.

Do we really want to give up Patty or Lee + Anderson for Thabo?

Don't see it.

exstatic
01-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Thabo is like a much older version of last years Danny Green. He really only had a couple of good shooting years from 3 in OKC. Otherwise, he's been below average.

HarlemHeat37
01-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Hawks have done a terrible job the past season and a half, tbh..

I gave them credit last season for reportedly attempting to blow up the team rather than being stuck in mediocrity, yet they didn't pull the trigger on anything and now they'll receive a poor return on any assets..they also just blew a ton of money on a 4th-wing caliber player in Bazemore..

GSH
01-07-2017, 05:31 PM
This is just my two cents, but when teams are not in contention they should make moves that benefit the long run until they are in contention. Only at that point in time is when holding on, or trading assets for short term help/expiring is worth it. IMO

What gets teams or franchises in trouble is their lack of objectively assessing the reality of their team. Now the Hawks are going to have very little to show for Horford, Millsap and Korver.

Atlanta was a pretty good team last year. They had the second best DRTG in the league, and defense generally rules in the playoffs. (I can't seem to remember who had the best DRTG last year. :)) They beat a pretty good Celtics team, and made it to the second round, where they lost to the eventual Champions. Their biggest mistake, IMO, is thinking that Dwight Howard could put them over the top.

This is going to be a costly move for Atlanta - especially if they knock themselves out of the playoffs. Home playoff games mean big profits for a team. I don't know about today, but not too many years ago, the Spurs' operations didn't really become profitable until the playoffs, and an early exit was a big financial loss for them. The difference between even a second round exit and not making the playoffs is just a whole shitload of money.

The personnel cost could be a lot worse. Rebuilding is one thing. Just blowing a team up is something else. Philadelphia tried to dismantle and stockpile draft picks, and they are in a world of hurt. You could argue that they've been stupid along the way. But look what happened to Dallas. They had 11 straight 50+ win seasons in a row. Then Cuban blew it up, and they have been crap ever since.

I agree with you that it's better to sell high than to sell low - obviously. But if you didn't make the move(s) in the offseason, it's better to stay the course than to have a fire sale. It's a lot easier to keep players than to get them to change teams. If Atlanta gets rid of all or even most of the players they're shopping right now, they will be at least 5 years recovering.