PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical, who among our bench bigs would you give up for a hypothetical PG?

apalisoc_9
01-08-2017, 01:36 AM
So you get the chance to fix some Guard issues for this year. Increasing the chances of winning by 15% to 25%..depending in who you decide to get rid..Keep in mind, the guy is a one year rental but he will make the spurs a significantly better team.

Bertans - 24 years old, with an NBA career ahead of him. Could very well be useful and a legit rotation player for the rest of Leonard's career. Already a potential weapon in the playoffs. If you decide to get rid of him for the imaginary guard, the spurs chances of winning this year skyrockets by 25%...Would you sacrifice a potentially great weapon that you can pay for cheap and compliment Kawhi prime years for a 1 year rental of a PG?

Dedmon - 27 years old and already the best defensive big in the team. Tremendous footspeed for a big guy and can really pick up guards. He's more than likely going to massively support and compliment Leoanrd in the defensive end for Kawhi's prime years..Increas chance of winning by acquiring PG by 20%

David Lee -32 years old.. Easily the best Big off the bench against possibly the most talented Team of all time. If there is one guy, you can trust to properly go to work against Durant and The Warriors twink small ball 4s..its David Lee..he's a matchup nightmare for Golden State...But the spurs have so much frontcourt production, i mean Gasol-Bertans-Aldridge-Dedmon should be enough..no? Increae chance by 15%

For discussion purposes, You get 35 year old Manu to compliment the 39 year old manu, parker, mills and simmons.

Chinook
01-08-2017, 01:43 AM
This could be a better question than it is. If all have the same value, trade Lee. But they don't all have the same value, and the quality of player they could return could change my answers quite a bit.

Wouldn't trade Bertans for any rental unless that player had long-term potential and was an RFA.

Would only trade Dedmon for a player with All-Star or at least above-average starter upside.

Would trade Lee for a player good enough to be better than the average Manu or Tony. Anything less just isn't worth any trade, really.

apalisoc_9
01-08-2017, 01:46 AM
This could be a better question than it is. If all have the same value, trade Lee. But they don't all have the same value, and the quality of player they could return could change my answers quite a bit.

Wouldn't trade Bertans for any rental unless that player had long-term potential and was an RFA.

Would only trade Dedmon for a player with All-Star or at least above-average starter upside.

Would trade Lee for a player good enough to be better than the average Manu or Tony. Anything less just isn't worth any trade, really.

They don't have all the same Value. The despcrition says it and there's a corresponding percentage value of how much the team will be better hy getting rid of the specific player.

What did you have in mind? Maybe we can both try to answer the question..always nice to talk about basketball scenarios.

100%duncan
01-08-2017, 01:47 AM
If we are going all in this year then bertans since I doubt Pop will trust him deep in the playoffs

apalisoc_9
01-08-2017, 01:48 AM
Plus, the PG in mind is an imaginary player. That can do what the spurs exactly need. A penetrating guard...For discussion purposes, lets assume the guard is a 35 years old manu instead of a 39 year old manu

Robz4000
01-08-2017, 02:05 AM
2012-2013 Manu isn't really better than current Manu so I prolly wouldn't do it.

apalisoc_9
01-08-2017, 02:12 AM
2012-2013 Manu isn't really better than current Manu so I prolly wouldn't do it.

2012 manu turned the ball like crazy but he was def better thancurrent manu in terms of creating baskets. I dont even think its close...1 year after an All-star season.

DMC
01-08-2017, 02:15 AM
I'd give up a hypothetical big.

Chinook
01-08-2017, 02:21 AM
They don't have all the same Value. The despcrition says it and there's a corresponding percentage value of how much the team will be better hy getting rid of the specific player.

What did you have in mind? Maybe we can both try to answer the question..always nice to talk about basketball scenarios.

You're correct, I did not read what you wrote correctly. My apologies.

I don't believe in subjective probability, so it's hard for me to think of things in those terms. But let's give it a try. First, I'm assuming that no starter or Manu (who has a NTC anyway) is moved. Everyone else is fair game, but I will only move one big in each trade.

Bertans: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=haojemt

Bertans and Anderson for Tyus Jones

Dedmon: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h6zanch

Holiday and Jones for Mills, Dedmon and Anderson (and a first-rounder) Would probably have to figure out a way for the Pels to get rid of one of the players the Spurs send their way to fit roster restrictions.

Lee: This one's hard, but here: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zyha2e9

Lee and Forbes for Kilpatrick and Bennett (probably including some second unless they really like Bryn)

The Bertans deal is just bad for the Spurs, even though I like Jones as a prospect. They already have Murray. The issue is that there's no vet who's cheap enough to match Bertans' salary who's also worth a shit. Those are only buyout guys who get that situation. But there's no reason to go young at PG right now.

The Dedmon trade's the best value, obviously. But no way NO trade Jrue unless their season gets much worse. And they could probably get a lot more for him if he's not hurt.

That leaves the Lee trade, and that's probably the best deal the Spurs could make. Kilpatrick can light it up, even though he's inconsistent, and he could replace a lot of the production the Spurs would lose by letting Simmons walk. Bennett's apparently been mediocre with the Nets, and that's a huge improvement for him. He could do a lot of what Lee is already doing. I wouldn't do the deal myself. But under the restrictions I set for myself, I think it would improve the team the most.

TimDunkem
01-08-2017, 02:40 AM
You're correct, I did not read what you wrote correctly. My apologies.

I don't believe in subjective probability, so it's hard for me to think of things in those terms. But let's give it a try. First, I'm assuming that no starter or Manu (who has a NTC anyway) is moved. Everyone else is fair game, but I will only move one big in each trade.

Bertans: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=haojemt

Bertans and Anderson for Tyus Jones

Dedmon: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h6zanch

Holiday and Jones for Mills, Dedmon and Anderson (and a first-rounder) Would probably have to figure out a way for the Pels to get rid of one of the players the Spurs send their way to fit roster restrictions.

Lee: This one's hard, but here: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zyha2e9

Lee and Forbes for Kilpatrick and Bennett (probably including some second unless they really like Bryn)

The Bertans deal is just bad for the Spurs, even though I like Jones as a prospect. They already have Murray. The issue is that there's no vet who's cheap enough to match Bertans' salary who's also worth a shit. Those are only buyout guys who get that situation. But there's no reason to go young at PG right now.

The Dedmon trade's the best value, obviously. But no way NO trade Jrue unless their season gets much worse. And they could probably get a lot more for him if he's not hurt.

That leaves the Lee trade, and that's probably the best deal the Spurs could make. Kilpatrick can light it up, even though he's inconsistent, and he could replace a lot of the production the Spurs would lose by letting Simmons walk. Bennett's apparently been mediocre with the Nets, and that's a huge improvement for him. He could do a lot of what Lee is already doing. I wouldn't do the deal myself. But under the restrictions I set for myself, I think it would improve the team the most.
:vomit:

100%duncan
01-08-2017, 02:51 AM

Since its early 2017.... 2012 manu was wrecking havoc against okc

Chinook
01-08-2017, 02:55 AM
:vomit:

You gonna try to grab a game grades slot? You expressed interest a few weeks ago, and we still have a handful left for the next six weeks or so.

Kawhitstorm
01-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Just pick up Deron Williams when he gets bought out, PATFO already cleared space & Lee can recruit him.:wakeup

Chinook
01-09-2017, 12:08 PM

Well Bennett just got cut in favor of Acy. He was having a career year, but if you can't make it in New York, you can't make it anywhere. I didn't want him, but he did seem to have a "Blair with enough range to at least make them run out on him" thing going. Still like Kilpatrick, though, even if he's not worth any of the bigs.

DAF86
01-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Wouldn't give up Bertans nor Dedmon for anything in the World. Bigmen of the future for the Spurs.