PDA

View Full Version : Who and how do Spurs retain for 2017-2018?

picnroll
01-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Assuming Gasol picks up his option, amongst Mills, Ginobili, Desdmon and Simmons who do the Spurs keep next year and how?

cjw
01-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Dedmon will be the hardest to keep, as he can opt out and team doesn't have the same rights as with the other players. Mills and Manu can be resigned to any deal assuming Spurs stay over the cap (likely if Gasol opts in), while Spurs just have to give a qualifying offer to Simmons and hope things work out in free agency.

That said, I'd think Dedmon may be the most likely to remain with the team. Mills may get starter money somewhere, Manu may retire, etc. Simmons is an interesting case, because he's older and teams may not be enamored with potential upside like they would be if he were 4 years younger.

mookie2001
01-08-2017, 12:56 PM
Manu please just end it.

spursistan
01-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Priority should be keeping Dedmon, IMO..

Cklbmk
01-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Dedmon gonna cost Patty Mills.

It'll depend a lot on Murray from here on out.

Simmons should be easy to retain his cap hold is gonna be so tiny.

Manu gotta retire or comeback for an exception or min.

Seventyniner
01-08-2017, 01:19 PM
It depends on how much the Spurs prioritize 2018 cap space. Westbrook is the big fish in that FA class.

Chinook
01-08-2017, 01:58 PM
It depends on how much the Spurs prioritize 2018 cap space. Westbrook is the big fish in that FA class.

Can't see Russ not getting that $200-plus Million extension in the summer.

Chinook
01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
It's all about Chris Paul. If he or Lowry are willing to come over while the Spurs can retain most of their core, then you can afford to lose all those guys. If they don't come over, then you may as well re-sign everyone except Simmons if he gets a big offer.

tbdog
01-08-2017, 02:06 PM
It comes down to how well we go in the playoffs and do we have any realistic chance of C.Paul. But honestly, we are looking ahead at the 2018 and 2019 free agency. Parker, Gasol, Manu (unless he retires after this season) will be off the books. That's like 45mil right there. LMA and Green will have a player option as well.

Horse
01-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Who the fuck wants old ass choke Paul? I like Lowry but don't see him fitting here. Resign everyone.

Kawhitstorm
01-08-2017, 05:10 PM

PATFO can move Pau & re-sign Dedmon if he outplays Pau or if Pau is a disaster in the postseason.

TimDunkem
01-08-2017, 05:13 PM
I'll take Dedmon over Mills if it comes down to it. Can't teach size.

sasaint
01-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Priority should be keeping Dedmon, IMO..

Absolutely! :tu Then Patty.

Mr. Body
01-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Ginobili only if fit minimum or breast minimum. Let Mills get paid if it's too much. Keep Dedmon if it's not a crazy contact. Simmons shouldn't be too expensive. If someone overpays wish him luck.

spursistan
01-08-2017, 05:25 PM
I'll take Dedmon over Mills if it comes down to it. Can't teach size.
Agreed..

Athletic defensive-minded bigs aren't dime a dozen..In contrast, Spurs have historically shown better ability at finding--in midnightpulp's hilarious coinage-- cheap "microwave" type of gunners..

Kawhitstorm
01-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Agreed..

Athletic defensive-minded bigs aren't dime a dozen..In contrast, Spurs have historically shown better ability at finding--in midnightpulp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=5430)'s hilarious coinage-- cheap "microwave" type of gunners..

It seems like Forbes is being groomed as a Patty replacement w/ Murray playing the Manu role.

Simmons is most likely getting something like 3yrs/24 mill ala Boban so he's as good as gone.:lol

01-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Dedmon is a must keep. Mills might be a goner and that's probably why the Spurs still keep Forbes around. Either way though, the Spurs bench will take a big hit next year with Manu and Dedmon/Mills gone. Murray is going to have to make big strides to take over the bench playmaking role. I think Simmons might also be gone if he's offered a big contract elsewhere. Don't think he's that worth keeping with Murray in the pipeline.

spurraider21
01-08-2017, 05:42 PM
all i know in the offseason is ST posters will have a near infinite number of posts about moving parker/gasol while neither will happen.

sadly i think mills is most likely to be the odd man out. i dont know if dejounte will be ready

james evans
01-08-2017, 06:11 PM

It'll depend a lot on Murray from here on out.

Simmons should be easy to retain his cap hold is gonna be so tiny.

Manu gotta retire or comeback for an exception or min.
We should be able to keep both. Ginobli retires and the cap goes up. I don't see a problem.

james evans
01-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Who the fuck wants old ass choke Paul? I like Lowry but don't see him fitting here. Resign everyone.
yeah mfs acting like Chris Paul is 25 years old. haha. He's 3 years younger than Parker and is known to get injured

r0drig0lac
01-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Marks will likely offer to Jonathon something like 30/3

sasaint
01-08-2017, 06:38 PM
We should be able to keep both. Ginobli retires and the cap goes up. I don't see a problem.

I don't think it's a certainty that Manu retires. Frankly, if he would stop trying to make his razzle dazzle passes and his daring steals, committing a lot of dumb fouls, and just concentrate on being a spot-up 3-point shooter, I wouldn't mind seeing him return (at the right price). He is shooting lights-out this season. But I do want to retain both Deadman and Patty.

tmtcsc
01-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Assuming Gasol picks up his option, amongst Mills, Ginobili, Desdmon and Simmons who do the Spurs keep next year and how?

Dedmon is a necessity as is Mills. Gasol would be great but I think Ginobili may be hanging them up.

pad300
01-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Assuming Gasol picks up his option, amongst Mills, Ginobili, Dedmon and Simmons who do the Spurs keep next year and how?

Best guess: Ginobili retires. Mills gets paid(4 yrs, $44 Million + ) and the FO doesn't match for what they evaluate as a bench player. Dedmon gets a Baynes/Boban offer from someone - with no bird rights, the FO can't match. Simmons we keep because of his bird rights, and nobody breaking the bank for him. It's going to be a big changeover next year...

cjw
01-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Don't think Dedmon necessarily opts to move if Spurs can offer him a bigger role next season. If he shows consistency, he'll really be able to cash in. Odds are probably in favor of him being elsewhere on a bigger deal, but never rule it out.

Can't see Russ not getting that $200-plus Million extension in the summer.

Right. As Zach Lowe talked about in a podcast, they created an exception in the new rule basically as a "sorry" to the Thunder as the previous CBA hurt them when it came to Durant.

Chinook
01-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Best guess: Ginobili retires. Mills gets paid(4 yrs, $44 Million + ) and the FO doesn't match for what they evaluate as a bench player. Dedmon gets a Baynes/Boban offer from someone - with no bird rights, the FO can't match. Simmons we keep because of his bird rights, and nobody breaking the bank for him. It's going to be a big changeover next year...

Spurs should have more than enough cap to match a Boban-like offer from another team. Only conflict would be if Manu stays on and still wants to be paid.

picnroll
01-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Manu already showed this year he'll stay with the Spurs if he gets paid. I expect him to play another year, look to get paid again and end up with a team like the 76ers, young and looking for veteran influence and leadership.

Spurtacular
01-08-2017, 08:25 PM

As opposed to Choke Leonard or Choke Aldridge? Get Paul here and beat teams outright.

Spurtacular
01-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Manu already showed this year he'll stay with the Spurs if he gets paid. I expect him to play another year, look to get paid again and end up with a team like the 76ers, young and looking for veteran influence and leadership.

Sixers offered Manu an offer he couldn't refuse if the Spurs weren't gonna ballpark it. I don't think he'll get another huge offer; and he'll end with the Spurs (which is best for everyone).

BillMc
01-08-2017, 08:26 PM
No one mentions Lee, who is liable to opt-out too. He's not a sexy topic since he's not young (or youngish like Dedmon and Simmons). I'd like him back. I wonder what the chances are? Or will he somehow feel disrespected like West and leave. (Still, not sure what that was all about). Anyway, at 33 I doubt Lee would pass on a bigger contract if he could get it. Not too many paydays ahead.

100%duncan
01-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Let's hope Pau is gone but that is likely because we wouldve sucked in the playoffs.

Lose lose :pctoss

CGD
01-08-2017, 10:14 PM
what's the deal with Bertans? Is he fully guaranteed next year, or is he a RFA?

Anyway this is my bet:

Manu retires
Pau opts in
Patty re-signs
Dedmon opts out, gets poached
Simmons gets poached
Lee opts out, but re-signs on 2 year deal

Depending on how the offseason goes, with the amount of turnover in the roster that might happen I would consider coming to an understanding with Pau for him to opt out and then resign a cheaper 3 year deal. Then I'd seriously explore moving LMA and treat 17-18 as a reload year.

TXstbobcat
01-08-2017, 10:29 PM
what's the deal with Bertans? Is he fully guaranteed next year, or is he a RFA?.

Bertrans is under contract with the Spurs next year and will be a restricted free agent in 2018.

gambit1990
01-09-2017, 12:42 AM
-manu feels his age, retires after the spurs playoff defeat
-pau opts out, leans towards playing alongside his brother and retiring on the team he first played for
-spurs amnesty parker, it's known they have a big chance of landing cp3 after the clippers playoff defeat
-td is part of recruiting paul, paul recruits td to play for the spurs too
-td feels great after taking a year off, both sign
-dedmon resigns
-patty resigns

paul/mills
green/simmons
kawhi/bertans
aldridge/lee
duncan/dedmon

-manu signs january 2018
-kawhi wins mvp

:lobt2: