PDA

View Full Version : Pop's coaching strategy.

Ice009
01-11-2017, 10:30 AM
What is Pop doing with the vets? Is he actually going to finish playoff games with Manu and TP? Even though they are almost done as big game closers, are we going to see guys like Gasol, Manu and TP out there with the game on the line?

I mean, the game last night, in particular, Manu was shooting the ball horrendously and had missed pretty badly on some of his prior three-point attempts. He had no business being out there for the last play with the way he was playing (let alone taking the shot for the win). That last shot emphasised how poorly he played last night and how off his shot was, yet he was out there with a shot that I think should have gone to someone like Bertans. I would have felt much better with Bertans taking that very same shot. Could he not see Manu was having a poor shooting game? Does he just not have the guts to play any of the younger players?

You cannot be riding Manu, TP or Gasol in 2017 and expect to win many playoff games. These guys aren't the same players they used to be. Is he ever going to realise this? If they were younger, sure, you give them another chance, but at their current ages, I think he has to be a lot more selective. If they don't have it going, why not stick with Jonathon Simmons who was having a much better overall game than Manu? Why not have Mills out there for the last play as he's a better overall shooter at PG?

Speaking of the last play, why did he pull Bertans out when Bertans showed no fear whatsoever in taking the shot? He's the type of player you want out there taking a shot with the game on the line. I can live with a shot like the one he missed last night because he shot it with complete and utter confidence. It was a great shot that just missed. You can live with shots like that.When is he going to give the young guys chances in crunch time situations instead of reverting back to the old guys? It kind of seems like he's half-assing it. It doesn't seem like he wants the number 1 seed, so if he doesn't care about it, why not give the younger guys more of a chance so that they can gain experience in end of game situations?

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-11-2017, 10:40 AM
They executed well and got one of their best 3 point shooters an open shot. Manu just missed it. Shit happens but execution offensively was fine.

Ice009
01-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Nothing wrong with the play itself. However, last night, Manu couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, he shouldn't have even been out there taking the shot. On the other hand, Bertans, who shot very well was sitting on the bench. Why?

Snaq O'Meal
01-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Pop may appear too think to notice the obvious, but I hope he realized that the game-winning basket was shot by a rookie.

Then again, Pop may argue that the rookie is older than many of the Bucks' more established players, and use that rationale to stick with his old guns.

From Downtown
01-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Nothing wrong with the play itself. However, last night, Manu couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, he shouldn't have even been out there taking the shot. On the other hand, Bertans, who shot very well was sitting on the bench. Why?

Bertans had just missed one tbf
Pop just trusts Manu more in those kind of situations, but I agree he shouldn't have taken that shot, maybe he would've made it any other night, but he was so off yesterday

apalisoc_9
01-11-2017, 11:15 AM
From the looks of it, Pop entrusted the ball to kawhi..Kawi saw a wide open opportunity and he passed it. It looked like he just wanted kawhi to ISO and get a decent look at a two pointer...

Defenses collapsed and it left manu wide open.

It was probably a decoy. If you put Bertans in, his defender wont leave him at all. The defense wont collapse. If Kawhi puts himself in an awkward situation, its going to be an awkward shot...with no one topass the ball to.

Not defending pop, just trying to come up with his logic.

apalisoc_9
01-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Btw, outside of Manus horrendous shot...The play was perfectly executed. Kawhi broke the defense down, Pau's hand off was great, wide open shot...

Its really hard to argue outside of maybe another player should be taking that shot.

coachmac87
01-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Btw, outside of Manus horrendous shot...The play was perfectly executed. Kawhi broke the defense down, Pau's hand off was great, wide open shot...

Its really hard to argue outside of maybe another player should be taking that shot.

Not sure if the execution was that great...Manu man literally fell down

From Downtown
01-11-2017, 11:28 AM
We got two good looks in the last 15 seconds or so, I wouldn't say anything about the plays Pop drew

GSH
01-11-2017, 12:40 PM
From the looks of it, Pop entrusted the ball to kawhi..Kawi saw a wide open opportunity and he passed it. It looked like he just wanted kawhi to ISO and get a decent look at a two pointer...

Defenses collapsed and it left manu wide open.

It was probably a decoy. If you put Bertans in, his defender wont leave him at all. The defense wont collapse. If Kawhi puts himself in an awkward situation, its going to be an awkward shot...with no one topass the ball to.

Not defending pop, just trying to come up with his logic.

Shit...Logic. Maybe you're right. Bertans is a great 3p shooter who also has a hot hand recently. Give a guy like that a do over and he makes it a lot of the time. But if Pop thinks the Bucks will hang all over him? I guess.

But if the play wasn't for Manu to take a 3 (and I don't think it was) wouldn't it have been better to have a defender locked up on a decoy on the 3p line?

Honestly I wouldn't have minded seeing Pay take a mid jumper. He's tall enough to get that off over just about anyone. I just hate "hand it to Kawhi" and create. Not just Kawhi - anyone. Pop is known for great plays out of a time out. That wasn't one. That was just Kawhi.

apalisoc_9
01-11-2017, 12:45 PM
When coaches call "plays" it's never designed for one player to take a shot..Maybe shitty coaches.

Pop set that up knowing Kawhi would have to make a decision after that hand-off..Players make reads not cooaches...It was a decent setup that opened multiple opportunities. Kawhi saw ot best to pass the ball instead of shooting over two defenders...Manu just shot the bed. Not manus fault too though...players miss shots it happens.

cd98
01-11-2017, 01:01 PM
When coaches call "plays" it's never designed for one player to take a shot..Maybe shitty coaches.

Pop set that up knowing Kawhi would have to make a decision after that hand-off..Players make reads not cooaches...It was a decent setup that opened multiple opportunities. Kawhi saw ot best to pass the ball instead of shooting over two defenders...Manu just shot the bed. Not manus fault too though...players miss shots it happens. Yes, I think if it had rolled around the rim and came out, people would feel like you do. The fact that he was wide open and it hit the side of the backboard is what is giving people heartache.

bklynspursfan
01-11-2017, 01:03 PM

They had just ran a play to get him wide open. It seems far fetched to think he'd get another good look. In fact, Danny Green was wide open behind Kawhi too, it just happened Manu got the ball and had a tough night.

I think this was about Kawhi having the ball in his hands. The play didn't work out, but big picture? This is great learning experience for Kawhi.

apalisoc_9
01-11-2017, 01:08 PM
They had just ran a play to get him wide open. It seems far fetched to think he'd get another good look. In fact, Danny Green was wide open behind Kawhi too, it just happened Manu got the ball and had a tough night.

I think this was about Kawhi having the ball in his hands. The play didn't work out, but big picture? This is great learning experience for Kawhi.

Manu was the easier pass. It was a wide open lane pass. I mean, you coulnt ask for the guy handling the ball more..If you see a wide open teamste that shotsbthe corner three at a great rate, you pasd it.

Shooting is really one of tose skills where it shouldnt matter ifyou are 39...it makes no difference ifa 25 year old is taking that shot.

TheGreatYacht
01-11-2017, 01:41 PM
To Manu's credit.... that was a terrible sloppy pass by Kiwi. Was surprised he caught it

spurraider21
01-11-2017, 01:44 PM
Bertans got a good look for 3 and it just rimmed out

Manu got a wide open look and it missed

If anything pops plays worked perfectly but as pringles would say, "gah's just didn't make shahts"

TheDoctor
01-11-2017, 02:27 PM

But he hit the narrower side of the backboard which a lot harder tbh

Credit to Manu for that accomplishment.

bklynspursfan
01-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Manu was the easier pass. It was a wide open lane pass. I mean, you coulnt ask for the guy handling the ball more..If you see a wide open teamste that shotsbthe corner three at a great rate, you pasd it.

Shooting is really one of tose skills where it shouldnt matter ifyou are 39...it makes no difference ifa 25 year old is taking that shot.

For sure. He made the correct play. Manu has hit big 3s before, he just missed terribly.

I would've liked Green to be the guy to go to the corner personally, he's more of a corner 3 guy than Manu. And ironically where Green was, was more of Manus spot.

On to the next

sasaint
01-11-2017, 02:30 PM

Yep, I believe Kawhi/the team executed the play Pop had in mind. The game was lost on defense the whole game long not on the last offensive possession.

sasaint
01-11-2017, 02:32 PM
For sure. He made the correct play. Manu has hit big 3s before, he just missed terribly.

I would've liked Green to be the guy to go to the corner personally, he's more of a corner 3 guy than Manu. And ironically where Green was, was more of Manus spot.

On to the next

I don't know... Seems like Danny likes that +/- 45% angle 3-ball very well.

bklynspursfan
01-11-2017, 03:11 PM
I don't know... Seems like Danny likes that +/- 45% angle 3-ball very well.

He does for sure. but between the 2 for that corner 3, I like Green more.

He's been pretty money from most spots though

http://i67.tinypic.com/v66mb5.png

Manu can hit em' from the corner, but he's much better at the other spots

http://i68.tinypic.com/2hxoi6b.png

ManuTastic
01-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Manu's last shot was awful, but WTF was Pop doing drawing a 3 for Bertans when we were only down one?? And then why was Manu shooting a 3 when we were only down 2? Both times the play should have been to go inside to get 2 or a foul or both. I know LA was out but why else did we go get Gasol this off-season? Is there any situation that cries out for him more? I mean, I know he hasn't been great, but aside from a Leonard 2 (not gonna happen because they were keying on him) or a Green 3 (he was cold last night) why not go to the veteran former all-star for an inside shot? smh

GSH
01-12-2017, 02:49 AM

I always have a hard time deciding if you're trolling, or just that fucking clueless.

So Pop never used a timeout to call a Scissor 43 Go? Or does Pop just not know who the 3 is on that play? When he calls that hammer play to get an open corner 3, he doesn't have any idea who might be standing in the corner? Yeah, some plays are designed with options, depending on what the defense does. And if the play breaks down and the clock is running out, they have to improvise. But damn. Surely you must have seen at least a few plays over the years that were specifically to get Manu a shot? Or Tim?

Even you can't be that ignorant.

YGWHI
01-12-2017, 03:05 AM

Pop is known for great plays out of a time out. That wasn't one. That was just Kawhi.

I wonder if people hear post-games interviews...Kawhi said Manu's shot was the shot the team wanted. That's why he was on the court.

It never was a Kawhi Iso, from the begining it was a penetrate and dish.

YGWHI
01-12-2017, 03:12 AM

Picking the right shooter is a significant difference between win or lose.

And that's OP point.

Why Manu? Why Pop continues to rely on the old men to close a game?

If Manu wasn't there, Danny would be in that corner or Bertans or even Patty...I'd rather to lose a game with a Davis/Danny shots instead of Manu's.

And why Parker? Defense knows that Parker won't take the shot...Why don't put Kawhi and four true shooters?

YGWHI
01-12-2017, 03:36 AM

You know why.

Because Pop still trusts in Manu and Parker. And his loyalty is killing this team in the last two years.

Can anyone remember a successful play, an elaborate play not Kawhi's Iso, that Pop called to close a game in the last two years?

01-12-2017, 03:54 AM
Manu was wide open for three, but I'd like to see Kawhi take the easy two to tie it(Delly was the only Buck at the rim). It's not like we're on the road, no need to go for the win.

YGWHI
01-12-2017, 04:08 AM
Manu was wide open for three, but I'd like to see Kawhi take the easy two to tie it(Delly was the only Buck at the rim). It's not like we're on the road, no need to go for the win.

I would have liked that Pop called a play for Kawhi who was shooting great instead of calling two consecutive P&Rs between Parker and LMA who couldn't hit the ocean in the last minute of game 5 in OKC series.

I would have liked to see a Danny/Davis open instead of Manu's but Pop put him in the last seconds for some reason...

I 'guess' Pop doesn't care about what fans like.

SAGirl
01-12-2017, 04:28 AM
Good points OP...
Hes going to ride them until the wheels fall off and even with no wheels he will ride them... It's one of the things that scares me about Pop... He has lately played the hot hand more and gone to other players... he's been willing to give opportunities but it took Mills years, seasons, clutch shots in playoffs, a championship, etc for Pop now starting to go to him to start or end games depending on whether he's had the hot hand, etc. I am grateful to have the HOF vets the team has, but they are Pops security blanket and when the going gets tough in the playoffs I suspect he's going back to them to close games, etc.

SAGirl
01-12-2017, 04:37 AM
Yep, I believe Kawhi/the team executed the play Pop had in mind. The game was lost on defense the whole game long not on the last offensive possession.
:tu
Thanks for this point.

SAGirl
01-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Manu's last shot was awful, but WTF was Pop doing drawing a 3 for Bertans when we were only down one?? And then why was Manu shooting a 3 when we were only down 2? Both times the play should have been to go inside to get 2 or a foul or both. I know LA was out but why else did we go get Gasol this off-season? Is there any situation that cries out for him more? I mean, I know he hasn't been great, but aside from a Leonard 2 (not gonna happen because they were keying on him) or a Green 3 (he was cold last night) why not go to the veteran former all-star for an inside shot? smh Good points about Pops play calling...

bklynspursfan
01-12-2017, 07:54 AM
I wonder if people hear post-games interviews...Kawhi said Manu's shot was the shot the team wanted. That's why he was on the court.

It doesn't mean Kawhi doesn't have the ability to audible if he's got a clear/easy shot. There's gotta be a little common sense if you've got the ball 2. If he had a clearer lane, he probably tries to finish.

He made the right basketball play. I just wish like I said Danny and Manu switched spots. Probably a different convo were all having

bklynspursfan
01-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Manu's last shot was awful, but WTF was Pop doing drawing a 3 for Bertans when we were only down one?? And then why was Manu shooting a 3 when we were only down 2? Both times the play should have been to go inside to get 2 or a foul or both. I know LA was out but why else did we go get Gasol this off-season? Is there any situation that cries out for him more? I mean, I know he hasn't been great, but aside from a Leonard 2 (not gonna happen because they were keying on him) or a Green 3 (he was cold last night) why not go to the veteran former all-star for an inside shot? smh

Bertans got a great look. Down 1,2 or 3 it was a great look at gives experience to Bertans.

The last play was probably drive to the basket, if nothing is there then go to plan B was to kick out. The defense all collapsed on Kawhi, which was why Manu and others were open.

No issues with the plays called from my end. I actually thought they were very well executed which in the big picture is more important things than the actual outcome of the game.

GSH
01-12-2017, 08:28 AM

No, I didn't hear that. But Dabom says that only shitty coaches call a timeout play for a single player like that, and he's an intellectual. So either Pop was lying, or he's a shitty coach. :lol

If you're playing at home AND you think you're the better team? Get the highest-percentage shot you can, and take it to OT. Maybe Pop didn't like their chances of winning in OT. That says a lot, too.

Brazil
01-12-2017, 08:31 AM

Pop set that up knowing Kawhi would have to make a decision after that hand-off..Players make reads not cooaches...It was a decent setup that opened multiple opportunities. Kawhi saw ot best to pass the ball instead of shooting over two defenders...Manu just shot the bed. Not manus fault too though...players miss shots it happens.

GSH
01-12-2017, 08:32 AM
It doesn't mean Kawhi doesn't have the ability to audible if he's got a clear/easy shot. There's gotta be a little common sense if you've got the ball 2. If he had a clearer lane, he probably tries to finish.

He made the right basketball play. I just wish like I said Danny and Manu switched spots. Probably a different convo were all having

Kawhi vs Dellavadova at the restricted circle? If Tony failed to give the ball to Kawhi in that situation, the slurpers would be screaming that it's a 100% make for Kawhi, and Parker just screwed him out of it.

But you mentioned common sense. It sure as hell isn't common around here.

GSH
01-12-2017, 08:36 AM

LOL. You giving him a thumbs-up for that, at the same time YGWI posts that Pop says he called a play designed for one player (Manu) to get the shot. And I'm quoting specific plays (famous plays) from old playoff games where Pop intended for one player to take the shot.

This place is a fucking zoo.

Brazil
01-12-2017, 09:07 AM
LOL. You giving him a thumbs-up for that, at the same time YGWI posts that Pop says he called a play designed for one player (Manu) to get the shot. And I'm quoting specific plays (famous plays) from old playoff games where Pop intended for one player to take the shot.

This place is a fucking zoo.

Point is you can call a play for a player but at the end the player executes and decides. Unless you have dumb ass hero ballers like Kobe who will shoot no matter who is open and how defense reacted. Pop calls the set up and final objective now he will kick your ass if you don't react and adapt to defense. In that case I'm surprised Pop said that, I thought play was for Kawhi and Kawhi made the call to play for Manu. This does not change the fact unless you are a shitty coach, you call a set up and a preferential outcome (player x takes shot at y condition) but you ask your ball handler to take a decision if conditions y are not possible to achieve. That seems pretty common sense.

Pop will kick your ass if:

- conditions y are achievable and you decide something else
- conditions y are not achievable and you force the play

Ice009
01-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Picking the right shooter is a significant difference between win or lose.

And that's OP point.

Why Manu? Why Pop continues to rely on the old men to close a game?

If Manu wasn't there, Danny would be in that corner or Bertans or even Patty...I'd rather to lose a game with a Davis/Danny shots instead of Manu's.

And why Parker? Defense knows that Parker won't take the shot...Why don't put Kawhi and four true shooters?

I really don't know. Maybe if Manu was shooting good, I would have had him out there, but also, I'm not sure if he should be moving on and getting the young guys ready for these big moments. He can't keep relying on TP and Manu. He's gotta give the young guys these shots now, in the regular season, just to see what he has.

sasaint
01-12-2017, 12:23 PM
No, I didn't hear that. But Dabom says that only shitty coaches call a timeout play for a single player like that, and he's an intellectual. So either Pop was lying, or he's a shitty coach. :lol

If you're playing at home AND you think you're the better team? Get the highest-percentage shot you can, and take it to OT. Maybe Pop didn't like their chances of winning in OT. That says a lot, too.

I know I didn't.

MultiTroll
01-12-2017, 01:35 PM
I really don't know. Maybe if Manu was shooting good, I would have had him out there, but also, I'm not sure if he should be moving on and getting the young guys ready for these big moments. He can't keep relying on TP and Manu. He's gotta give the young guys these shots now, in the regular season, just to see what he has.
Exactly. Why not set up for the playoffs now? Should be the real purpose of the regular season.
We've seen this movie before including the last two playoff ousters.

sasaint
01-12-2017, 03:20 PM

Under the specific circumstances of this game, I loved Pop's calls on both final offensive possessions. The way the Spurs defense was non-existent, it was no time to play things "by the book," going for OT at home. Down 1, I loved the play for a 3 by Bertans. With little time left on the clock after Bertans' shot, I would much rather have a 2-point lead than a 1-point lead And I definitely did not want the game to go to OT for the same reason. So, I really liked the idea of going for a 3 and the win on the final possession. Like some others here on ST, I didn't like having Manu be the guy taking the potential game-winning shot, but the play was great in conception and execution.

sasaint
01-12-2017, 03:22 PM

:tu Exactly!

ginobilized
01-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Manu has hit so many clutch shots after shooting horrendously, not a bad call, just a bad shot.
No biggie.
Teams like Milwaukee are tough for the Spurs to stop if not clicking on all cylinders defensively, and that was not the case that night.