tl;dr cliffs:
- The Spurs only excel at spotting up
- Were a post up team, that's average when it comes to post up efficiency

Every one is going to have to shoot lights out in the playoffs, basically

YGWHI
01-12-2017, 03:18 AM
Every one is going to have to shoot lights out in the playoffs, basically

They won't.

Last playoffs, they didn't have issues to generate open shots, they got a ton of uncontested shots in OKC series and still missed them.

BillMc
01-12-2017, 03:25 AM
Speaking of offenses, anyone watch the last two Cavs games? Is Korver a bad fit, is it getting to know each other pains, or just happenstance (i.e. missing shots he'd normally make). 2 games is too small of a sample size to worry, but I'm procrastinating work. :lol

Robz4000
01-12-2017, 03:45 AM
Speaking of offenses, anyone watch the last two Cavs games? Is Korver a bad fit, is it getting to know each other pains, or just happenstance (i.e. missing shots he'd normally make). 2 games is too small of a sample size to worry, but I'm procrastinating work. :lol

He's been below average to awful for two years now. It's age, not fit; dude is close to done.

BillMc
01-12-2017, 03:49 AM
He's been below average to awful for two years now. It's age, not fit; dude is close to done.

Then maybe Bud is smarter than most of us (and I include myself in that group) thought.

01-12-2017, 04:01 AM
Could just be happenstance. On paper, he's been a pretty decent shooter this year..not 2011-2015 level, but at least better than Dunleavy Jr.

But even if it is a bad fit you can always count on some scrub going off from three that saves a LeBron team from elimination, so he might still be the guy they need.

Robz4000
01-12-2017, 04:08 AM
Korver playing the Mike Miller/Shane Battier role is definitely a possibility. Those two looked pretty awful in their final years until Coach Lebron called on them late in the postseason. However, if they're expecting him to come in and play Ray Allen they're in for a rude awakening.

01-12-2017, 04:08 AM
They won't.

Last playoffs, they didn't have issues to generate open shots, they got a ton of uncontested shots in OKC series and still missed them.
Same with 2015. People kept insisting that eventually shots would fall :lol

On the bright side we don't have to worry about a post surgery Mills(2015) or down year Danny Green(2016). Plus we have Kawhi, Bertans, and Manu(maybe). Even Porker and Simmons can have the occasional one to three, 3 pointer(s) made type game. LMA and Pau, too. We might not get hot, but we have much better personnel than the last couple years where we didn't have any shooters it seemed like.

Fireball
01-12-2017, 04:48 AM
he contributed to that overtime win of the Hawks against the Spurs ... there only is a small chance of Spurs meeting the Cavs in the Finals, but if it happens, he will go all Ray Allen 2013 on us ...

NameLess Scrub
01-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Could just be happenstance. On paper, he's been a pretty decent shooter this year..not 2011-2015 level, but at least better than Dunleavy Jr.

But even if it is a bad fit you can always count on some scrub going off from three that saves a LeBron team from elimination, so he might still be the guy they need.

:lol

BillMc
01-12-2017, 04:13 PM
PTR wrote an article commenting on Coach Nick's analysis:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/1/12/14252028/spurs-more-spot-up-opportunities

Some relevant quotes:

Coach Nick of Bballbreakdown posted a video yesterday on the league’s top four offenses. For the Spurs there were four main takeaways:

The Spurs lead the league in spot up opportunities and spot up efficiency
The Spurs are third in the league in post ups but only 16th in post up efficiency
The Spurs are 28th in isolations and 29th in isolation efficiency
The Spurs are middle of the pack when it comes to shots off the pick and roll, off-screens and cuts.

While the inefficiency from post ups and isolations is worth following in the second half of the season, the offense as a whole is in a great position, with their defense breaking into the top three. It’s unclear if an inability to score one-on-one could hurt the Spurs in a close playoff game, but with their scoring balance, they don’t have to rely on isolations.

phxspurfan
01-12-2017, 07:28 PM
So Gasol needs to play from the Left block to get more efficient on post-ups. Maybe Pop when calling plays for Gasol should switch their positions on the floor or switch lineups to have Gasol and LMA in at different times

DAF86
01-12-2017, 11:51 PM
So we are almost last in ISO frequency? "B...bu...but Kawhiso :cry"

YGWHI
01-16-2017, 03:17 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2Oe4dMUsAAKhNB.jpg

Agree. The Spurs are passing the ball and looking for the open man a lot more than Cavs and Clippers.

MI21
01-16-2017, 04:16 AM

:lol

Yeah, funny that. The start of the season was a bit of that, but since then, no.

:cry :cry :cry B....bu.....but Enrique Porker. B.... bu....but LMA selfish :cry :cry :cry