PDA

View Full Version : Can we all agree on

Ruler
01-13-2017, 12:40 AM
The fact that, with the way they're playing now, the Spurs are one of if not the best teams in the league.

I'm a huge Kawhi fan, but Tony has been playing like a top 10-15 PG. His defense is even slightly above average, just by the eye test. Pau is trying harder, LMA is playing exactly how he needs to, Green is starting to come around on both ends, and our young guys / bench are playing very well (with the exception of Mills for a 5-6 game stretch and Manu showing his age).

We have off games here and there, like the Bucks game, but other than that we are looking real serious. The player fan trolling was funny the first 10,000 times, but we all have to admit the team is looking damn fine

dabom
01-13-2017, 12:42 AM
As long as porker doesn't get a mysterious "injury"... and still plays for france. :lol

DPG21920
01-13-2017, 12:43 AM
Yes - this team is 100x better than I could have imagined post Duncan. They play hard, show grit pretty consistently and while they aren't perfect and have flaws they are damn good.

Ruler
01-13-2017, 12:44 AM
As long as porker doesn't get a mysterious "injury"... and still plays for france. :lol
Drop the schtick. It isnt funny anymore. I thought you were right when Parker was terrible and I disliked him as much as you, but give the man credit when credit is due. It's a new season and he's performing

cutewizard
01-13-2017, 12:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvBBcJnqGFU

dabom
01-13-2017, 12:48 AM
Drop the schtick. It isnt funny anymore. I thought you were right when Parker was terrible and I disliked him as much as you, but give the man credit when credit is due. It's a new season and he's performing

Is he gonna show up vs the Warriors or Cavaliers? Clippers or Rockets? In a series of course. We know the answer already. :lol

Mr. Body
01-13-2017, 12:48 AM
I'm pretty impressed. Given GSW's vulnerability I have some hope for a good run this year.

timtonymanu
01-13-2017, 12:51 AM
Looking forward to that Cleveland game coming up. Spurs have been playing the same opponents and scrubby teams on their schedule so far.

spursgu
01-13-2017, 12:56 AM
This team is good. They aren't dominating the league like they did in 2014 but they have a good shot of competing for the title if they play their best.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-13-2017, 02:00 AM
Guys, it's the Lakers come on now.

This team's defense is way too spotty but may as well as enjoy the transition year as it could be a lot worse.

cutewizard
01-13-2017, 02:08 AM
Awesome game from Gasol today, 9 of 9, 100% FG shooting!!!

:bobo

cutewizard
01-13-2017, 02:10 AM
This team is good. They aren't dominating the league like they did in 2014 but they have a good shot of competing for the title if they play their best.

-----------------------------------------------------

:claw

:lobt2:

cutewizard
01-13-2017, 02:10 AM
Looking forward to that Cleveland game coming up. Spurs have been playing the same opponents and scrubby teams on their schedule so far.

--------------------------------------------

May we beat the hell out of Cleveland!

Budkin
01-13-2017, 05:00 AM
Yes - this team is 100x better than I could have imagined post Duncan. They play hard, show grit pretty consistently and while they aren't perfect and have flaws they are damn good.

This. Never thought they would be playing this well without Timmy.

UZER
01-13-2017, 07:28 AM

Don't be surprised if Pop sits players or plays wacky lineups.

NameLess Scrub
01-13-2017, 07:37 AM

This team's defense is way too spotty but may as well as enjoy the transition year as it could be a lot worse.

will_spurs
01-13-2017, 08:27 AM

This.

Blake
01-13-2017, 08:39 AM
The fact that, with the way they're playing now, the Spurs are one of if not the best teams in the league.

Yeah I think we can agree that they are a top 20 team. Maybe even top 19.

Seventyniner
01-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Spotty? It's the best in the league. Though only by a slight margin; it isn't the league-destroying D we saw from the Spurs last season, especially before Duncan's injury.

The defense sometimes looks bad by the eye test, sure, but that's likely due to a league-wide increase in offense. The average ORtg this year is 108.0, second highest in the last 20 seasons (2008-09, 108.3) and well above last season's 106.4.

GSH
01-13-2017, 10:11 AM

They are much better than I expected immediately post-Duncan. But I'm not ready to hand out the LOB, based on a dominant performance against the Lakers. The Lakers have the ability to make a lot of teams look good, and good teams look great. But are the Spurs among the best teams in the league? Damn straight.

It's all about the 1 and the 5. The other starters, and the bench, I'm confident are good enough. And the bench shows the possibility of a lot of improvement, even before the end of this season. PG and C are, IMO, the must-haves of the post season. And they are still our weakest links.

MaNu4Tres
01-13-2017, 10:23 AM
While Duncans' leadership was valuable, the foundation of the Spurs is too strong with PATFO still in charge providing leadership. Having Tony and Manu still on the roster helps too.

I said this often on twitter in the summer, but the Spurs replaced 40 yr old Duncan ( who had no knees), West (who was done), Diaw (who is close to done and a shell of his 2014 self), Martin, Miller, and Bonner ( who all were done).

The only player the Spurs lost in the summer who had a pulse was Boban.

I never really understood the concern replacing those 7 players, when 4 of the players hardly or never played when it mattered, and when 6 of the 7 were on the brink of retirement.

Spurs kept their top 5-8 players from last year, filled three relevant roles in the regular rotation with upgrades ( Pau, Dedmon and Lee) and replaced the bottom, end of the roster, with youth and upside -- which were going to be net positives compared to the hospice residents that resided at the end of the Spurs roster last season.

Combine those facts/upgrades with how watered down the league is and I'm not surprised really. I expected this team to win over 60 games.

tmtcsc
01-13-2017, 10:24 AM
I think we can all agree that the level of play in the NBA is terrible. The Spurs have a good / great team and most of their competition is awful. Not just bad - awful. I mentioned this in an earlier post (as if it even needed to be said), there are only 3 teams that have a solid chance at winning the championship this year-

1. Spurs
2. Cavs
3 Warriros

The only games on the Spurs' schedule going forward that should be of any concern to Spurs fans are:

1. Houston
2. Cleveland
3. Clippers
4. Warriors
5. Grizzlies

That's it. If they lose to teams like the Bucks or whoever, it doesn't matter. This long regular season is about fine-tuning and developing chemistry for the playoffs.

Blake
01-13-2017, 11:10 AM
It's all about the 1 and the 5. PG and C are, IMO, the must-haves of the post season. And they are still our weakest links.

Lol what championship teams have ever relied on both a pg and a c.

Darius Bieber
01-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Reverse-cliff jumping after one win against a horrible team... Warriors beat them by 50.

01-13-2017, 11:14 AM
This year is the first time the offense has looked lethal since 2013.

cutewizard
01-13-2017, 11:42 AM
This year is the first time the offense has looked lethal since 2013.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruler
01-13-2017, 11:43 AM
Reverse-cliff jumping after one win against a horrible team... Warriors beat them by 50.
Yup, because it's clear I was basing this entire post off one game.

Fuck off

Cry Havoc
01-13-2017, 11:53 AM

I'm a huge Kawhi fan, but Tony has been playing like a top 10-15 PG. His defense is even slightly above average, just by the eye test. Pau is trying harder, LMA is playing exactly how he needs to, Green is starting to come around on both ends, and our young guys / bench are playing very well (with the exception of Mills for a 5-6 game stretch and Manu showing his age).

We have off games here and there, like the Bucks game, but other than that we are looking real serious. The player fan trolling was funny the first 10,000 times, but we all have to admit the team is looking damn fine

:tu Pau's effort on defense has increased noticeably. I think he's playing much more within his abilities now, which is something Duncan was a master of. Pau isn't chasing players as much, he's letting his length fill in his lack of speed. It got him a couple of blocks last night.

Well, I don't know if there's ever been a Spurs team that hasn't had flaws. This team started the season looking like a mid-tier WC team (save the blowout of the Warriors). But now they actually look elite, both to the eye test and to the numbers they're putting up.

Actually as of recent, here are our margin of victories:

-2 (Leonard's first game back after illness)
-2 (LMA out)

So you can see, especially over the last 10 games, the MOV has grown to some very healthy margins. If that trend continues and we stay healthy, we could establish ourselves as the most dominant team in the league pretty soon.

Spotty? It's the best in the league. Though only by a slight margin; it isn't the league-destroying D we saw from the Spurs last season, especially before Duncan's injury.

The defense sometimes looks bad by the eye test, sure, but that's likely due to a league-wide increase in offense. The average ORtg this year is 108.0, second highest in the last 20 seasons (2008-09, 108.3) and well above last season's 106.4.
The defense has been much, much better as of recent. We are elite by comparison even considering the shaky start, but if you remove that start and just look at what the defense has been doing lately, it's even better (doubly so if you remove the games where we have had recent bouts of gastroenteritis). I would not call us actually an elite unit yet, because our opponents FG% is still too high, but other than that, it looks good. Pop is marvelous about maxing out his talent.

While Duncans' leadership was valuable, the foundation of the Spurs is too strong with PATFO still in charge providing leadership. Having Tony and Manu still on the roster helps too.

I said this often on twitter in the summer, but the Spurs replaced 40 yr old Duncan ( who had no knees), West (who was done), Diaw (who is close to done and a shell of his 2014 self), Martin, Miller, and Bonner ( who all were done).

The only player the Spurs lost in the summer who had a pulse was Boban.

I never really understood the concern replacing those 7 players, when 4 of the players hardly or never played when it mattered, and when 6 of the 7 were on the brink of retirement.

Spurs kept their top 5-8 players from last year, filled three relevant roles in the regular rotation with upgrades ( Pau, Dedmon and Lee) and replaced the bottom, end of the roster, with youth and upside -- which were going to be net positives compared to the hospice residents that resided at the end of the Spurs roster last season.

Combine those facts/upgrades with how watered down the league is and I'm not surprised really. I expected this team to win over 60 games.

Well, if you've ever played on a team before, it's not always what players do on the court that contributes to a team's success. Losing guys who have been in the locker room for extended periods of time affects the chemistry. They can put out fires before they start, keep the team pointed in the right direction, etc. Strong veteran players with their head on straight are basically coaches in the locker room.

DAF86
01-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Well yeah, when 2/5th of the starting lineup don't play as net negatives this team looks good. Let's hope the trend continues but experience from previous seasons suggests it won't.

Spur|n|Austin
01-13-2017, 12:03 PM

Fuck off

It's his normal emo schtick, pay no attention.

Good thread, OP - GSG!

boutons_deux
01-13-2017, 12:05 PM
team is coming along very nicely, will be great shape for playoffs

need to win some tight games against top teams

Darius Bieber
01-13-2017, 12:06 PM

Fuck off

Sure seems like it. Delusional Spur fan thinking the team is way better than it is. Losing to the Magic at home, the Bucks at home, to the Clippers without Paul or Griffin says other wise.

TheGreatYacht
01-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Well yeah, when 2/5th of the starting lineup don't play as net negatives this team looks good. Let's hope the trend continues but experience from previous seasons suggests it won't.
The only thing holding this team back now are the guards.... not the starting guards either.

Cry Havoc
01-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Sure seems like it. Delusional Spur fan thinking the team is way better than it is. Losing to the Magic at home, the Bucks at home, to the Clippers without Paul or Griffin says other wise.

Do you really want to play this game? Serious question. I'd be happy to go through the regular season of 2014 and 2007. Do you believe those teams that won titles ever lost a game? Serious question.

GSH
01-13-2017, 12:28 PM

You mean other than past Spurs Championship teams, right? I mean, we aren't counting Tim and Tony, or you wouldn't even have asked that question. (Edit: Yes, I know that Tim and Dirk are listed as PF's. Dirk is one thing, but even the All Star and All NBA people debated about whether Tim was a PF or a C. Tim was a PF who did a lot of C stuff. LMA isn't. Pau is a C who does a lot more PF things.)

So... Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. They look pretty good.
Curry and Bogut. I think those two are fairly good.
Is this fun for you? 'Cuz it's kinda fun for me.
Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosch. (x2) I know they sucked, but they got paid lots of money, so I'll throw them in for laughs.
Nowitzki and Kidd. Kidd was at the end of his game, but he was still Jason Kidd.
Derek Fisher and Pau Gasol. (x2) A much younger Derek Fisher and Pau Gasol.
Dwayne Wade and Shaq.
Damn, I didn't think it would be this hard to come up with examples.

The weakest examples in the last 18 years are Rondo-Perkins, and Billups-Wallace. The weakest. I know, I know... Tim and Dirk were both 4's. Right. I'm not getting into that. You still have to go all the way back to the Jordan-led Bulls to find an exception. At the beginning of this season, Pau and Tony both looked too old to be the starting C and PG on a Championship team. Period. I'm not saying they suck - I'm talking about winning 16 games in the playoffs kind of good.

Tony is looking like he may still have a run in him - maybe. That's one step closer. If Pau finds the fountain of youth, it changes the calculus.

MaNu4Tres
01-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Well, if you've ever played on a team before, it's not always what players do on the court that contributes to a team's success. Losing guys who have been in the locker room for extended periods of time affects the chemistry. They can put out fires before they start, keep the team pointed in the right direction, etc. Strong veteran players with their head on straight are basically coaches in the locker room.

No shit?

I've played on teams before in high school (basketball and baseball) and college (baseball), but that's irrelevant. Yes, chemistry is important, but you still can't quantify it. It's there or isn't there but its hard to gauge just how much of it is there if it is.

Even with Duncan gone, the team had a lot of leadership returning from Pop to Manu to Tony. And they have a lot of veterans that have their head on straight setting great examples for the rookies to follow ( Green, Leonard, Mills, LaMarcus, Gasol, Lee). One guy wasn't going to break the mental make up of the team when its so strong in its foundation. You act like the core of the team changed, it didn't and neither did the coaching or management.

Darius Bieber
01-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Do you really want to play this game? Serious question. I'd be happy to go through the regular season of 2014 and 2007. Do you believe those teams that won titles ever lost a game? Serious question.

You can't compare those seasons. In the 2014 season, the team was on a mission, and having a rematch of the 2013 finals would produce great viewership numbers.

We got lucky in 2007 that Dallas was eliminated in the first round.

I'm not saying championship caliber teams never lose. I'm saying that the way the Spurs have lost games this year show that they aren't contenders.

Cry Havoc
01-13-2017, 12:29 PM
I've played on teams before in high school (basketball and baseball) and college (baseball), but that's irrelevant.

Even with Duncan gone, the team had a lot of leadership returning from Pop to Manu to Tony. And they have a lot of veterans that have their head on straight setting great examples for the rookies to follow ( Green, Leonard, Mills, LaMarcus, Gasol, Lee). One guy wasn't going to break the mental make up of the team when its so strong in its foundation. You act like the core of the team changed, it didn't and neither did the coaching or management.

Oh, I'm not saying that. I'm just pointing out that sometimes losing guys who aren't considered "core" can actually have an impact on the team from a wider perspective.

Cry Havoc
01-13-2017, 12:34 PM
You can't compare those seasons. In the 2014 season, the team was on a mission, and having a rematch of the 2013 finals would produce great viewership numbers.

We got lucky in 2007 that Dallas was eliminated in the first round.

I'm not saying championship caliber teams never lose. I'm saying that the way the Spurs have lost games this year show that they aren't contenders.

Ah, I was unaware that you defined championship teams by how "on a mission" they looked ~35 games into the season, especially in 2014 after starting 33 and 13 and losing 5 of 7 games and then getting blown out by the Br:lol:lolklyn Nets a week later. :lol I'm betting that we can go back and find you condemning that team "on a mission" to a first round exit, in fact I'm pretty sure I recall you posting that very thing. :lol

Seventyniner
01-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Oh, I'm not saying that. I'm just pointing out that sometimes losing guys who aren't considered "core" can actually have an impact on the team from a wider perspective.

Matt Bonner says hi.....?

lefty
01-13-2017, 12:39 PM
We gun win the title

Cry Havoc
01-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Matt Bonner says hi.....?

;)

Joseph Kony
01-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Spurs fans are spoiled tbh...people in here doubting when the Spurs managed to obliterate GS, snapped Houston's 10 game steak and are 2-1 against them, made the Raptors look like a d-league squad, as well as having an elite start to the season on the road with 7 new players. Spurs still have off games and sequences but you can tell they're putting it together...with GS being so fragile on the inside and not having the kind of athletic slashing players that give spurs problems, they have a real shot to make it to the Finals again imo

DPG21920
01-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Spurs fans are spoiled tbh...people in here doubting when the Spurs managed to obliterate GS, snapped Houston's 10 game steak and are 2-1 against them, made the Raptors look like a d-league squad, as well as having an elite start to the season on the road with 7 new players. Spurs still have off games and sequences but you can tell they're putting it together...with GS being so fragile on the inside and not having the kind of athletic slashing players that give spurs problems, they have a real shot to make it to the Finals again imo

This poster doesn't kid around ^ - this is the real gist of it all.

Horse
01-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Cause the cavs and warriors never lose to shit teams? Fuck off guy go find another team.

SAGirl
01-13-2017, 01:44 PM
^^ :tu

Hoops Czar
01-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Yes, it's always nice to beat down the most undisciplined and worst defensive team in the league. I need no more proof. They truly are the best team in the NBA.

SAGirl
01-13-2017, 01:57 PM
Good post Kony....
I believe!!!

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2017, 02:43 PM
No reason to get excited after last season's meltdown, tbh..everybody on this forum has a 1-month memory:lol

The Spurs squad of the past few weeks probably isn't the team we will see in the playoffs..they have looked great with TP having his annual nice stretch of basketball that can't be sustained..once he reverts to a more normalized, realistic level of play, this team will have the same issues that plagued them last season..

SnakeBoy
01-13-2017, 02:52 PM
I'd say I want to believe but I need to see the the Spurs really tested first (for more than one game). Unfortunately the league is so pathetic right now that we aren't going to see that happen until the playoffs.

Cry Havoc
01-13-2017, 03:03 PM
No reason to get excited after last season's meltdown, tbh..everybody on this forum has a 1-month memory:lol

The Spurs squad of the past few weeks probably isn't the team we will see in the playoffs..they have looked great with TP having his annual nice stretch of basketball that can't be sustained..once he reverts to a more normalized, realistic level of play, this team will have the same issues that plagued them last season..

No one thought we'd even play this well coming into the season. I think most fans were resigned to a <2% chance at a title. The fact that we're playing well enough to not only be in the conversation but near the top of the West is pretty awesome. We match up about as well as possible with the Warriors and there are no other elite teams out West save maybe the Rockets right now.

Still not optimistic about a title but far more than I have been. Which, again, isn't saying much.

Chucho
01-13-2017, 03:59 PM

God damn. Why did this thread even exist? We need just ONE post like this in every thread and everyone else can spare us their diarrhea drivel that accounts for 92.39% of all ST content.

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2017, 04:01 PM
No one thought we'd even play this well coming into the season. I think most fans were resigned to a <2% chance at a title. The fact that we're playing well enough to not only be in the conversation but near the top of the West is pretty awesome. We match up about as well as possible with the Warriors and there are no other elite teams out West save maybe the Rockets right now.

Still not optimistic about a title but far more than I have been. Which, again, isn't saying much.

I don't know why anybody believed the Spurs wouldn't be a top 4 team in the NBA, though..I have no idea what people like Zach Lowe saw when they were predicting that the Spurs would fall to the level of teams like Toronto and Boston, just an egregiously poor prediction..

I guess it was the Duncan factor, but still..

Blake
01-13-2017, 04:13 PM
You mean other than past Spurs Championship teams, right? I mean, we aren't counting Tim and Tony, or you wouldn't even have asked that question. (Edit: Yes, I know that Tim and Dirk are listed as PF's. Dirk is one thing, but even the All Star and All NBA people debated about whether Tim was a PF or a C. Tim was a PF who did a lot of C stuff. LMA isn't. Pau is a C who does a lot more PF things.)

So... Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. They look pretty good.
Curry and Bogut. I think those two are fairly good.
Is this fun for you? 'Cuz it's kinda fun for me.
Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosch. (x2) I know they sucked, but they got paid lots of money, so I'll throw them in for laughs.
Nowitzki and Kidd. Kidd was at the end of his game, but he was still Jason Kidd.
Derek Fisher and Pau Gasol. (x2) A much younger Derek Fisher and Pau Gasol.
Dwayne Wade and Shaq.
Damn, I didn't think it would be this hard to come up with examples.

The weakest examples in the last 18 years are Rondo-Perkins, and Billups-Wallace. The weakest. I know, I know... Tim and Dirk were both 4's. Right. I'm not getting into that. You still have to go all the way back to the Jordan-led Bulls to find an exception. At the beginning of this season, Pau and Tony both looked too old to be the starting C and PG on a Championship team. Period. I'm not saying they suck - I'm talking about winning 16 games in the playoffs kind of good.

Tony is looking like he may still have a run in him - maybe. That's one step closer. If Pau finds the fountain of youth, it changes the calculus.

Lol what a mess of a post that's just too sloppy to reply to

I did see a Derek Fisher in there tho which also is lol

GSH
01-13-2017, 04:14 PM
I don't know why anybody believed the Spurs wouldn't be a top 4 team in the NBA, though..I have no idea what people like Zach Lowe saw when they were predicting that the Spurs would fall to the level of teams like Toronto and Boston, just an egregiously poor prediction..

I guess it was the Duncan factor, but still..

I believed it. I thought that there was zero chance Durant would come here, and I didn't think it was very likely that they Spurs would actually get Gasol.

If the Spurs hadn't gotten Gasol to sign, and if Tony had lost even a little bit over the way he looked at the end of last season? Those predictions would have been right. Whatever limitations Pau has or doesn't have, the Spurs were damned lucky to have signed him. (And so are the fans.)

And Tony? Players age, and he has a serious shitload of mileage. If you asked me which was more likely - that he would get worse, or he would get better? Getting worse is what aging players do - eventually they all do.

The predictions weren't all that illogical in the offseason.

spursistan
01-13-2017, 04:14 PM

Everyone clown my nigga hater (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=7609) for "this team goes as far as MVParker takes us", but a lot a lot of truth in that statement, tbh :lol..

Offensively, we are a totally different proposition when Tony has a pep in his step.

GSH
01-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Lol what a mess of a post that's just too sloppy to reply to

I did see a Derek Fisher in there tho which also is lol

And yet you replied. And the only thing you could come up with was to disregard Derek Fisher. That's cute. Gotta love Spurfans who can't give credit to a player who kicked their team's asses so many times. Now ask yourself - if he's so bad, AND he did that much damage against the Spurs, what does that say about the Spurs? Isn't it easier just to admit that he was a tough little bastard that was the starting PG on FOUR championship teams?

Orrr... maybe you're the one that's right. No team has EVER depended on a good PG and C to win a Championship. :jack

dabom
01-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Everyone clown my nigga hater for "this team goes as far as MVParker takes us", but a lot a lot of truth in that statement, tbh :lol..

Offensively; we are a totally different proportion when Tony has a pep in his step.

You are the biggest dumbass on this board tbh. This team lives and dies on Manu.

Blake
01-13-2017, 04:44 PM
And yet you replied. And the only thing you could come up with was to disregard Derek Fisher. That's cute. Gotta love Spurfans who can't give credit to a player who kicked their team's asses so many times. Now ask yourself - if he's so bad, AND he did that much damage against the Spurs, what does that say about the Spurs? Isn't it easier just to admit that he was a tough little bastard that was the starting PG on FOUR championship teams?

Orrr... maybe you're the one that's right. No team has EVER depended on a good PG and C to win a Championship. :jack

You put Kevin Love in as center. And a good one.

But Pau is a weak spot?

Get out of here until you clear up that shitty post.

TheGreatYacht
01-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Everyone clown my nigga hater (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=7609) for "this team goes as far as MVParker takes us", but a lot a lot of truth in that statement, tbh :lol..

Offensively; we are a totally different proportion when Tony has a pep in his step.
Only retards can disagree with this truth bomb

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Everyone clown my nigga hater for "this team goes as far as MVParker takes us", but a lot a lot of truth in that statement, tbh :lol..

Well ya, because the PG on the team is generally expected to carry a large load of the offense..it's the same reason Parker has been a huge liability for 2+ seasons, he's being put in a role that no longer suits him(although he's been great as of late)..

The alternatives for the Spurs are a small SG(Patty), a 19-year old inexperienced SG(Murray) and a scrub(Lappro, prior to his release)..

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2017, 04:51 PM
I believed it. I thought that there was zero chance Durant would come here, and I didn't think it was very likely that they Spurs would actually get Gasol.

If the Spurs hadn't gotten Gasol to sign, and if Tony had lost even a little bit over the way he looked at the end of last season? Those predictions would have been right. Whatever limitations Pau has or doesn't have, the Spurs were damned lucky to have signed him. (And so are the fans.)

And Tony? Players age, and he has a serious shitload of mileage. If you asked me which was more likely - that he would get worse, or he would get better? Getting worse is what aging players do - eventually they all do.

The predictions weren't all that illogical in the offseason.

The predictions I was referring to were made following the Gasol signing..

GSH
01-13-2017, 04:53 PM
The predictions I was referring to were made following the Gasol signing..

Eh. I got a lot more optimistic about the season after that signing. I still have doubts about beating the other top 3-4 teams, but when they signed Pau, I quit worrying about the 50 win streak like I had been.

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2017, 04:57 PM
I think they're a fringe contender, nothing has changed IMO..I thought they were a level below the Cavs and Warriors, entering the season..I don't think they'll be as good as either by season's end, but they might be on the same level, at this point(considering the flaws of those teams)..

They could still easily lose a series to the Clips in round 2 or even Houston(although it's unlikely)..

GSH
01-13-2017, 05:17 PM
I think they're a fringe contender, nothing has changed IMO..I thought they were a level below the Cavs and Warriors, entering the season..I don't think they'll be as good as either by season's end, but they might be on the same level, at this point(considering the flaws of those teams)..

They could still easily lose a series to the Clips in round 2 or even Houston(although it's unlikely)..

Pretty damned clean assessment, IMO. If the Rockets are hitting shots, they can beat ANYONE on any given night. They could stay hot enough games to win a series - not likely four series in a row, though. We all know the problems the Clippers make for the Spurs. If we hadn't picked up Dedmon and Lee, I'd be worried about a possible upset from OKC.

Your black/white schtick wears about as thin as the krew shit. When you talk about basketball, you're usually pretty damned solid. One of the few people who doesn't think it's disloyal to admit that there are teams that may be better than the Spurs.

Blake
01-13-2017, 05:31 PM
One of the few people who doesn't think it's disloyal to admit that there are teams that may be better than the Spurs.

Lolwut

Who actually does think it's disloyal?

:lol

Ruler
01-14-2017, 12:07 PM
Pretty damned clean assessment, IMO. If the Rockets are hitting shots, they can beat ANYONE on any given night. They could stay hot enough games to win a series - not likely four series in a row, though. We all know the problems the Clippers make for the Spurs. If we hadn't picked up Dedmon and Lee, I'd be worried about a possible upset from OKC.

Your black/white schtick wears about as thin as the krew shit. When you talk about basketball, you're usually pretty damned solid. One of the few people who doesn't think it's disloyal to admit that there are teams that may be better than the Spurs.
Why do people keep saying the Cavs are better? How are they better? Honestly I see the Cavs aboit as good as the Rockets. They only beat the warriors because of how they match up, not because they are better. The Spurs have had their number for a while now, and we'd destroy them in the finals.

The warriors, on the other hand, are better. But I still believe we could beat them in 7 by some miracle. Maybe KD and Steph go cold, but I want to have the Spurs beat em at full strength

sasaint
01-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Even if the Dubs and Cavs could be better (not guaranteed). this in no way makes the Spurs a "fringe contender" given there are only 2 teams at most ahead of them, one of whom we've beaten badly, and the second with a worse record than us.

A fringe contender is more like Toronto, or the Rockets (given the history of D'Antoni teams being exposed in the playoffs), or even maybe the Clippers or Memphis.

Spurs are a serious contender. That doesn't mean they will win it or would be favored over the Dubs, but it means they've a hell of a lot better than a "puncher's chance to advance in the playoffs". That poster sounds like we're first round fodder. Dubs are probably the ONLY NBA team that would be favored in a series with the Spurs as of today (and the Spurs usually don't hit their stride until after the RRT trip because Pop begins every season teaching and process-orientated, more than maximising wins). Yet, some of you are waving the white flag, while others cover their assess by predicting "we'll probably lose." Of course, we'll probably lose. Even the greatest teams USUALLY lose at some point in any given playoffs. Except for the ancient dynasties of George Mikan and Bill Russell, nobody wins championships more often than not in the NBA. Not Jordan, not Magic, not Timmy. Saying we'll probably lose is the safest assertion possible.

Again, so many on here apparently define "contender" as "heavily favored over all other teams to win it". It's laughable to me, frankly. It's like they want to be front runners, and if they can't they make sure everyone knows that they think the Spurs will fail. I'd like to hear one of the regular naysayers on here talk about the weaknesses of OTHER teams and the way Spurs could win just for once.

Ugh.

Good arguments. Tbh, I was a big naysayer at the beginning of the season. I was hopeful that the team could keep the 50-win streak alive. I thought the Spurs would be fortunate to get beyond the first round. At this juncture, I am quite a bit more optimistic. I assess their chances against other top teams a little differently than you, however, we certainly are not mere "fringe contenders" with no more than a "puncher's chance." I believe oddsmakers would favor the Spurs over any team except the Rockets, Clips, Dubs and Cavs. I believe they would be even even odds against the Rockets, and slight underdogs against the others. That pretty much mirrors my own assessment. In any of those matchups I personally would not bet against the Spurs.

I have four primary reasons for my increased sense of optimism. First is LMA; he is showing a toughness I did not believe he had. More and more he is eschewing his fadeaway game (which I hated) and is going strongly to the hoop. He is playing like a de facto center. I love it, and I believe that evolution alone makes the Spurs serious contenders. But there is more. Tony is playing very good basketball. (I honestly don't know what to make of the "won't pass the ball to Kawhi crowd.") I think the Spurs can win another LOB with Tony playing as he has for the last few weeks. The emergence of Bertans is also a HUGE development. Having another 3-point threat takes so much pressure off of Kawhi, Danny and Patty (or does it put more pressure on Patty?) and even Simmons, and makes the team a potential offensive juggernaut. The fact that he is so versatile and athletic is gravy. And finally, Simmons seems to be developing his understanding of the game and the Spurs' "system" which gives him the consistency he has lacked, enabling him to be a reliable rotation player - possibly good enough to replace Manu (except for Pop's stubbornness).

In sum, this team has the potential to beat any team as it is currently constituted.

Seventyniner
01-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Tony can't keep up this level of play for the rest of the season and playoffs but he doesn't have to. If he can produce a one-month stretch like this, as long as it's from mid-May to mid-June, the Spurs can beat anyone.

tim_duncan_fan
01-14-2017, 05:13 PM
Lol we still suck at winning contested rebounds and we can't stop any other all-star guard.

Aldridge's play sn't going to stop being mercurial.

I appreciate the wins, especially when guys like J. Simmons and Davis play well, but we're still fool's gold because we can't stop quick players from eating our lunch in the paint.

We just don't get to play good teams very often. (Because the only good teams are Clipps, Wars, Cavs, and Rockettes when Harden is going God mode)

We can't defend, so we can't win against those teams long-term.

BillMc
01-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Lol we still suck at winning contested rebounds and we can't stop any other all-star guard.

Aldridge's play sn't going to stop being mercurial.

I appreciate the wins, especially when guys like J. Simmons and Davis play well, but we're still fool's gold because we can't stop quick players from eating our lunch in the paint.

We just don't get to play good teams very often. (Because the only good teams are Clipps, Wars, Cavs, and Rockettes when Harden is going God mode)

We can't defend, so we can't win against those teams long-term.
:rolleyes

Like all those teams don't have flaws too.

Yeah, the Dubs might be challenging, and the Clips are a bad match up, but no team can't be beaten. We'd be favored and rightfully so against the Rockects, Clipps and probably the Cavs in a series, especially if we had home court (which we're on pace to get).

tim_duncan_fan
01-14-2017, 06:24 PM
DeAndre whatshisface scares and disables our entire team. Don't laugh. You've seen it for years now just like I have. We can't do anything against Chris Paul besides injuring him.

I'll be impressed when we look good against them twice in a row.

daslicer
01-14-2017, 06:38 PM
DeAndre whatshisface scares and disables our entire team. Don't laugh. You've seen it for years now just like I have. We can't do anything against Chris Paul besides injuring him.

I'll be impressed when we look good against them twice in a row.

This is true but we have to hope they don't end up on the Spur side of the bracket come playoff time. If they are not in the spurs bracket then it doesn't mater.

SAGirl
01-14-2017, 07:36 PM
Kawhi unstoppable

GSH
01-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Kawhi unstoppable

Against the 12-27 Suns, he's supposed to be.

tim_duncan_fan
01-14-2017, 08:01 PM
We can't defend against these 12-27 suns either.

Darius Bieber
01-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Losing to the fuckin Suns. This OP is an idiot.

Hoops Czar
01-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Can't beat the Bucks at home and can't beat the Suns on the road but pounding the Hapless Lakers somehow makes title favorites.

:lmao Spurstalk

Vokun
01-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Can we all agree that OP is a faggot

spursistan
01-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Have no faith in this team and the coach..IMO, everything is possible.... like would you seriously be shocked if Utah or Memphis beat them in 1st round?

SAGirl
01-15-2017, 12:57 AM
I still believe though...
:flag: