PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades - Spurs vs. Lakers - January 12th, 2017

Dex
01-13-2017, 01:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zs6klra.png

http://i.imgur.com/EZMvU87.png

'Member when the Spurs and the Lakers had one of the hottest rivalries in the NBA? When they were playing hot potato with the Larry O'Brien trophy and every matchup was hotly contested, no matter the time, place, or personnel?

Yeah....that was like 15 years ago. The Spurs are still trucking along, putting up 50+ wins a season and maintaining their status as the gold standard of the NBA. The Lakers, however, have basically been relegated to the cellar ever since a certain Achilles ruptured, and they have dragged this once exciting rivalry down with them. For the first time in nearly two decades, the Lakers came to San Antonio without Kobe Bryant, and the new era of Lakers basketball was on full display.

As the lead tracker shows, the only moment this game was in doubt was prior to tip-off. The Spurs, eager to avenge a tough home loss to the Bucks, jumped out quick and promptly took care of business. The triumvirate of Tony Parker, Pau Gasol, and Kawhi Leonard got off to a blazing start and were hitting from all over the floor. For the Lakers, Russell got a hot hand for a while and showed some flashes of why he has Laker Nation excited, but it wasn't nearly enough to stave off the Silver & Black attack.

In the second quarter, Randle and Clarkson came to life and made a push to draw the Lakers within four points midway through the period. In doing so, they showed the impressive talent that L.A. has stockpiled for their future. With guys like Russell, Randle, Clarkson, and Ingram, Laker fans definitely have some good things to look forward to. They also illustrated their inexperience, however, as they quickly let the game unravel from there. The Spurs starters came back out and suddenly, the lead had ballooned to 18 again.

One sequence in particular exemplified the Lakers youth. They fouled Kawhi on an inbound with 12 ticks left in the half, then turned the ball over trying to rush it up the floor, then fouled Kawhi again on a half-court heave to beat the buzzer. Moments like that probably make Luke Walton wish he was back in the Bay. The Spurs had their highest total on the season for points scored in a half (72) with Kawhi posting a career best for points in a half (23).

The game was pretty much put away in the third quarter. The Spurs got Aldridge more involved after a quiet first half by the Longhorn, Pau continued his aerial assault, and Kawhi kept doing Kawhi things. The L-Train even banked in a contested three to beat the buzzer...which just demonstrated what kind of night it was for the Lakers. The result was a 31-point lead going into the fourth, and lots of garbage time for the end of the bench. The crew of Murray-Simmons-Anderson-Bertans-Dedmon played mop up and pushed the lead to 42 before the final buzzer mercifully sounded for the Lakeshow.

http://i.imgur.com/kkqh0EH.png

http://i.imgur.com/wVBRm63.png

Grades:
Tony Parker - B+
Parker had a very solid game after a poor showing against the Bucks. He scored efficiently and distributed the ball well. His pick & pop game was giving Pau and Aldridge all they could eat, and he finished the game without a turnover. 13 and 6 in 21 minutes is more than serviceable from the Frenchman, and he was part of the first half assault that basically put the Lakers on their heels.

Danny Green - B-
Green was pretty quiet on offense, as he took only four shots and hit one of them. He forced a reverse layup that came up lame, but considering he has been finishing better around the rim lately, I won't hold it against him. He did, however, chip in 4 rebounds and 4 assists, so it's good to see him contribute in other areas while still providing his trademark pesky defense. Despite going 1-3 on the game, Danny still leads the NBA in 3PT% at 45.5%, and that is huge for the Spurs if they hope to contend in May and June.

Kawhi Leonard - A+
If Kawhi isn't careful, he's going to take Timmy's lead and become Groundhog Day 2.0. Just another day at the office for The Klaw, who stuffed the stat sheet with 31 points (10-13 FGM, 3-5 3PM, 8-9 FTM), 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and no turnovers in only 27 minutes. It was one of those nights where Leonard literally looked like he could do anything he wanted out there and was playing on another level. It still boggles my mind how lucky the Spurs are to have gotten this guy. If the 2011 draft was re-done in hindsight, I don't think many people would argue that Kawhi would be the de-facto #1 pick. The Spurs didn't even need to get in the lottery to get their franchise savior this time.

LaMarcus Aldridge - B-
Aldridge had a quiet game for his standards, but his offense wasn't really needed with all of the hot hands around him. Instead, he picked his spots with his shots, and did a good job of clogging the lane on defense (something that was sorely missing against Milwaukee). I loved his three-point prayer simply because he was confident enough to take it...I doubt he called bank but it takes a confident attempt for that to even go in. 4 rebounds in 24 minutes isn't anything to write home about, but that's just finding reasons to nitpick.

Pau Gasol - A
Apparently Pau had a bit of a vendetta to take out against his old team. Gasol turned back the clock to 2009 and had an excellent performance with 22 points on 9/9 shooting to go along with 9 boards, 7 assists, and a block. His jumper was absolutely money and looked pure every time he let it fly, and he even brought down the hammer once. I’m also excited to see the chemistry he is building with the starting unit, particularly Parker and Aldridge. The only thing keeping him from a perfect score was his typical lackluster defense, but he at least put in good effort on that end. Obviously, we all miss Timmy down on the block and that makes it easy to make comparisons, but viewed in a vacuum: I think just about any team in the NBA would be glad to have a Gasol-Aldridge tandem in the paint.

Manu Ginobili - D-
It was a pretty forgettable game for Manubili. He missed both of his shots, and the only points he put up were on a pair of free throws. Aside from that, he only had a turnover and a foul to his name on the evening. He was also part of the crew that let the Lakers creep back into the game in the 2nd quarter. Not sure if it was just a bad matchup or if Manu is ailing, because he only played 9 minutes. I love Manu as much as anybody, but this farewell tour is getting hard to watch at times, especially at a $14 million price tag. It seems like he'll have one good game, followed by three bad ones. The best we can hope for is that he provides some vintage flashes in the playoffs, but the Spurs can't afford to really count on those at this point.

Patty Mills - C
I think we all have been waiting for Patty to break out of his funk. Unfortunately, tonight was not the night. He wasn't horrible with 6 points and 2 assists in only 17 minutes...but he just didn't provide the spark that we are used to from the Aussie. He only hit 1 of his 3 long-bombs, and had a rare miss at the free-throw line. He also didn't do a great job of sticking with Lou Williams off the bench. Fortunately, the Spurs didn't really need much from Mills for this one, but it would be nice to see his play come back around to where it was a month or so ago.

David Lee - C
Lee continues to fill the gaps as needed off the bench. He showed his versatility with 4 points, 3 boards, 3 assists, and 2 steals in 14 minutes. I've always liked Lee and wanted him to be a Spur for years. It's a shame that we got him in his decline (which I still think is highly exaggerated), but he brings great energy off the bench and seems to get along well with the guys. However, he did get a little cute with some of his passes and forced the issue at times. I'm sure Pop won't be happy with 4 turnovers in limited minutes.

Dewayne Dedmon - B+
Dedmon seems to be getting more and more comfortable with each passing game. He didn’t score much this time out, but he feasted on the boards (12) while chipping in 2 dimes, a steal, and 2 blocks (including one smash off the backboard). He provides a big and athletic presence around the rim, and was very active with his hands causing several deflections on the ball. He also did a good job of limiting his fouls, and when he does that, he is like the Spurs' own Ibaka Lite on the defensive end.

P.S. We all love the 'oops to Dedmon, but the guys were definitely forcing it this game. There were two or three lobs attempted that just weren't there, namely Simmons attempt at the over-the-shoulder lob. The guys better be careful, or Pop is going to tell them to stop fucking around and 86 the lob, which I think can be a valuable weapon when used correctly.

Jonathon Simmons - A-
I thought this was a great game for Simms. He looked very controlled out there, and was even running the sets for the cleanup crew. He continues to show that his game has expanded outside of just rim rattling dunks, showing off some playmaking ability and a nice touch around the rim. Performances like this (12, 3, and 3) off the bench makes him a valuable asset to this team.

Davis Bertans - C+
Bertans had a fairly unremarkable showing. His minutes were a little wacky, as he played a single minute in the first half and the rest was basically garbage time. Still, he knocked in a three-pointer, corralled a couple boards, and dished out a couple of nifty assists. I’d like to see a little more assertiveness from Davis, but he continues to be one of the more intriguing prospects the Spurs have on the bench with his athleticism, energy, and shooting prowess.

Dejounte Murray - B
Murray got some good extended run with the Spurs testing the limit of the scoreboard tonight, and made good use of it. He seemed to play more in control, and wasn’t solely focused on scoring for himself. He made some nice drives into the paint and mixed in a couple nice plays for Bertans and Dedmon. Perhaps most surprising, he hit both of his 3-point attempts and shot them confidently. Considering the scouting report on him is that he is not a shooter, hopefully that is a good sign that he has been putting in the work with Chip.

Kyle Anderson - B-
Anderson looked pretty solid this time around, even if it was just garbage time. His jumper looked smooth, and he didn’t hesitate on his single three-point attempt. He also did a good job of using his length to be disruptive on defense. Surprisingly, he didn’t record a single assist (which is usually one of his strong suits), but I do like him being aggressive and looking to find his own offense when he is out there.

Pop - B+
Pop didn't have to get too tricky for this one. His rotations were pretty typical for the first three quarters, aside from his short stint for Bertans. He rode the hot hands he had with Kawhi and Gasol, and basically pulled Manu after a poor first stint. By the 4th quarter, it was pretty obvious that he would hand the keys to the young guns, but it was good to see them get some extended run and actually increase the lead.

Brazil
01-13-2017, 02:03 PM
:lol Lakers

good write up OP.. thanks

SAGirl
01-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Thank for the grades... much appreciated. :tu
I love when someone puts in the effort to do a drama free review... no offense to anyone... Thry are all enjoyable to read... but this is really nice for guys who missed the game...
(sometimes with the agenders if one missed the game, the reviews are very misleading).

Anyways, much appreciated again.

DPG21920
01-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Like this format - thanks :tu

It is great to see the SL click more and more. It was a problem (for various reasons) early in the year, but jumping out to solid leads because our SL dominates other SL's is awesome.

byrontx
01-13-2017, 02:25 PM
Great report and very well written. Thanks.

HankChinaski
01-13-2017, 02:26 PM
I was at the game. Nice blow out Vic. I stayed till the end wanting another 70 pt half. F those Lakers. Murray hitting those pair of 3s and looking a bit less erratic was nice to see despite it being garbage time.

r0drig0lac
01-13-2017, 03:07 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bobo.gif

Cry Havoc
01-13-2017, 03:10 PM
Great grades, Dex. Thanks for the effort. :tu

I don't even mind the forced lobs to Dedmon. They were close, it's good to test them out in a blowout game, and they're going to keep the defense honest for those. We need to use Dedmon in every way possible on offense because he isn't typically a scoring threat, so reminding guys they can't cheat off him is really good in the long run.

Robz4000
01-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the grades :toast

BillMc
01-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Nice write up man.:toast

GSH
01-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Pretty solid from top to bottom. Gave credit where it's due, an criticism where it belongs. Anybody who didn't get to see the game would have a pretty good feel for it reading this. :tu

wildbill2u
01-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Good analysis on a game that was a runaway victory. My only addition is that while you gave Pau credit for improved defense, I thought his efforts under the basket to block or fight for the rebounds there in the scrum were worthy of mention. Thanks for the effort.

Splits
01-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Porker is fat

99 Problems
01-13-2017, 06:03 PM
:bobo

Spurtacular
01-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Without even looking at the grades yet, thanks for all that work, OP.

Russ
01-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Jordan Clarkson -- Grade A+

He said he wanted a Whataburger before he flew back to LA (on the Laker post-game show). :toast

lefty20
01-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Porker is fat

More to follow at 11?

FkLA
01-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Without even looking at the grades yet, thanks for all that work, OP.

+1

Spurtacular
01-13-2017, 11:04 PM
Beat the Lakers by 40. Grades seem like a formality, tbh.

ElNono
01-14-2017, 01:10 AM
good stuff OP :tu

spurs10
01-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the grades! Major beatdown!

BillMc
01-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Hustle stats vs. Lakers;

https://pp.vk.me/c638823/v638823122/1b38a/11NNz_uxP2k.jpg

Dex
01-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Hustle stats vs. Lakers;

https://pp.vk.me/c638823/v638823122/1b38a/11NNz_uxP2k.jpg

I thought Gasol was useless and lazy though?