PDA

View Full Version : Warm up your cars engine in cold weather or not?

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 03:56 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/warming-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-the-engine/ar-BBxuI1d?ocid=spartandhp

This article says don't. Not only a waste but harmful.

DeadlyDynasty
01-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Nobody does this to warm the engine up, they do it to defrost the windows and make the inside habitable for their morning commute.

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Nobody does this to warm the engine up, they do it to defrost the windows and make the inside habitable for their morning commute.
Are they harming the engine in doing so?

Blake
01-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Huh I always figured it was better for the car to warm up the motor

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 04:18 PM
to defrost the windows
TV show this a.m. had a piece that said cat litter (preferably the silicon type, whatever that is) rolled up in socks etc sucks the moisture out of the inside of the car.

I'm not confirming nor denying, it was a reputable show. I'll see if i can get a link.

clambake
01-13-2017, 04:20 PM
you guys live in cold weather?

Blake
01-13-2017, 04:21 PM

Yes so therefore it's better to drive down the road with a thick sheet of ice on the windows.

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Keeping car windows free of defrost with silica cat litter.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/silica-kitty-litter-and-a-sock-will-stop-your-car-windows-from-fogging-up-video-100557.html

http://lifehacker.com/prevent-car-windows-from-fogging-up-with-cat-litter-fil-1668963388

Blake
01-13-2017, 04:22 PM
you guys live in cold weather?

I've got the AC on. I hate San Antonio winter

DeadlyDynasty
01-13-2017, 04:23 PM
It's not a significant enough difference unless you wanna get 10+ years out of the same hoopty.

TV show this a.m. had a piece that said cat litter (preferably the silicon type, whatever that is) rolled up in socks etc sucks the moisture out of the inside of the car.

I'm not confirming nor denying, it was a reputable show. I'll see if i can get a link.
smh...

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Yes so therefore it's better to drive down the road with a thick sheet of ice on the windows.
While surfing SpursTalk and while you are getting ready to swallow.
Yes, please do.

clambake
01-13-2017, 04:25 PM
I hate San Antonio winter

just the winter?

Wild Cobra
01-13-2017, 04:27 PM
Huh I always figured it was better for the car to warm up the motor

With older cars, before the computer controls, it was. Modern engines don't need it. You are just wasting gas doing so.

The only time I start the car before going somewhere is to defrost the windshield.

Wild Cobra
01-13-2017, 04:28 PM

Rice is probably cheaper.

Blake
01-13-2017, 04:36 PM
just the winter?

Lol yeah August and September are brutal too.

The late fall and early spring are decent

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2017, 04:45 PM
I used to warm the engine in cold weather when I was in my younger teens and driving late-90s model hoopties..it's not necessary for today's cars, though..

As DD said, I warm my car up to make it tolerable when I actually have to get in and drive..getting into a car that spent a night inn -20 weather is disgusting:lol

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 04:54 PM
It's not a significant enough difference unless you wanna get 10+ years out of the same hoopty.
Or avoid buying a used car from you.
According to the article it does damage.

"The life of components like piston rings and cylinder liners can be significantly reduced by gasoline washing away the lubricating oil, not to mention the extra fuel that is used while the engine runs rich."

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Driving your car is the fastest way to warm the engine up to 40 degrees so it switches back to a normal fuel to air ratio. Even though warm air generated by the radiator will flow into the cabin after a few minutes, idling does surprisingly little to warm the actual engine. The best thing to do is start the car, take a minute to knock the ice off your windows, and get going.

DeadlyDynasty
01-13-2017, 05:03 PM
Or avoid buying a used car from you.
According to the article it does damage.

"The life of components like piston rings and cylinder liners can be significantly reduced by gasoline washing away the lubricating oil, not to mention the extra fuel that is used while the engine runs rich."

Don't take this wrong, but my instinct is to immediately dismiss everything you post as bullshit.

Sure, even though this might be true, it doesn't change anything for those who have to deal with ice and snow for 3-4 months. You live in SoCal and have probably never experienced cold weather.

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Don't take this wrong, but my instinct is to immediately dismiss everything you post as bullshit.
:lol
Do take me right.
The level i give a shit about your dismissing my post's as bullshit -or not- is at zero percent.

To try and get civil discussion on TrollTalk, i take whatever good comes out of it as a blessing.
Now as to what i have come to expect.....TrollTalk!

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 05:10 PM
You live in SoCal and have probably never experienced cold weather.

Even SoCal gets occasional frosty windows. Plus engine protection.
As to ever, i can match Harlem Heat and just about anyone else here for previous cold weather living. Canada.

Which is why i like that the article suggested a solution, such as put the silica in the car and also get driving the sooner the better like after one minute.

Blake
01-13-2017, 05:10 PM
You're way too obsessed with trolls being out to get you

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 05:12 PM
You're way too obsessed with trolls being out to get you
No but it is a fair amount of trolls on TrollTalk to obsessively just try to contest, argue etc over any point large or small.

DeadlyDynasty
01-13-2017, 05:26 PM
OK buddy, you go with th cat litter and sock, I'll stick with the defrost button.

Blake
01-13-2017, 05:26 PM
No but it is a fair amount of trolls on TrollTalk to obsessively just try to contest, argue etc over any point large or small.

No, you get butthurt when someone calls you out. You proceed to cry about trolls and post your Ralph Wiggum wall paper.

It's what you do

DeadlyDynasty
01-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Even SoCal gets occasional frosty windows. Plus engine protection.
As to ever, i can match Harlem Heat and just about anyone else here for previous cold weather living. Canada.

Which is why i like that the article suggested a solution, such as put the silica in the car and also get driving the sooner the better like after one minute.

Again, I have to question if what you're saying is bullshit. If you lived in cold-weather climates before then you know that there's nothing worse than freezing your tits off in the morning before your body is fully acclimated to the conditions. It doesn't matter if you put multiple layers on, you will still feel colder in the morning than in any other part of the day. Add to that the daily defrost/de-icing ritual and it really makes no sense to "get driving the sooner the better like after one minute." What car defrosts it's windows in one minute? I can't imagine a woman putting up with somebody who skimps on heat and has cat litter all over his car--just so you can get an extra 15-20K miles out of your ol' beater.

You are one low-rent motherfucker

SpursforSix
01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Again, I have to question if what you're saying is bullshit. If you lived in cold-weather climates before then you know that there's nothing worse than freezing your tits off in the morning before your body is fully acclimated to the conditions. It doesn't matter if you put multiple layers on, you will still feel colder in the morning than in any other part of the day. Add to that the daily defrost/de-icing ritual and it really makes no sense to "get driving the sooner the better like after one minute." What car defrosts it's windows in one minute? I can't imagine a woman putting up with somebody who skimps on heat and has cat litter all over his car--just so you can get an extra 15-20K miles out of your ol' beater.

01-13-2017, 05:56 PM
This has the looks of another classic :lmao

01-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Laundry krew member checking in, btw

Blake
01-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Yeah was gonna lol the one minute

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2017, 06:11 PM
:lol I parked my car in front of my building the other night, rather than in the parking garage..the windows were covered in ice and frost, it probably took at least 15 minutes of defrosting(after scraping) just to feel comfortable driving..

If I had left after a minute, I would have killed at least 5 people, tbh..

benefactor
01-13-2017, 10:15 PM

pgardn
01-13-2017, 10:23 PM
I've got the AC on. I hate San Antonio winter

WTF?

This is great running weather?
Great to be outside.

I could do without the Gulf moisture in the summer.

pgardn
01-13-2017, 10:27 PM
OK buddy, you go with th cat litter and sock, I'll stick with the defrost button.

Jesus...

apalisoc_9
01-13-2017, 10:43 PM
I live in Manitoba so the cold here is disgusting, but unless you're driving a vehicle older than 2002, you never really need to heat up your vehicle for engine purposes...

You heat up the vehicle so you don't freeze yourself to death inside the vehicle. It's never safe to just drive without clearing iceand frost in all your windows though so its best to warm the vehicle to get rid of all the frost.

apalisoc_9
01-13-2017, 10:45 PM
5-10 is more than enough, imo.

Anything more, and you're wasting gas.

pgardn
01-13-2017, 10:57 PM
5-10 is more than enough, imo.

Anything more, and you're wasting gas.

Spurs46 would have you use a flame thrower im thinking.

Blake
01-13-2017, 11:27 PM
WTF?

This is great running weather?
Great to be outside.

I could do without the Gulf moisture in the summer.

I'm not asking for blizzard but I'd like some refreshing winter air every now and then.

pgardn
01-13-2017, 11:43 PM
I'm not asking for blizzard but I'd like some refreshing winter air every now and then.

We got 2 nights in a row in the mid to low 20s. Not really enough.

Finally killed back some of my plants that had been growing right through the winter.
I wonder if we will ever see snow on the ground again...

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 11:47 PM
:lol I parked my car in front of my building the other night, rather than in the parking garage..the windows were covered in ice and frost, it probably took at least 15 minutes of defrosting(after scraping) just to feel comfortable driving..

If I had left after a minute, I would have killed at least 5 people, tbh..
I hope you did not have a choice between parking garage and street in front of building. ???

No access to a plug in? Those things are golden, keep the engine warm overnight so it warm upon fire up.

Fabbs
01-13-2017, 11:51 PM
I live in Manitoba so the cold here is disgusting, but unless you're driving a vehicle older than 2002, you never really need to heat up your vehicle for engine purposes...

You heat up the vehicle so you don't freeze yourself to death inside the vehicle. It's never safe to just drive without clearing iceand frost in all your windows though so its best to warm the vehicle to get rid of all the frost.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31OsKm-ZG5L.jpg
Engine block heater.

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 12:00 AM
I've never tried the silica litter and a sock for moisture. But i might.
You've never tried this, rookie:
http://www.bputah.com/Parts/Land_Range_Rover_Discovery_Defender_Engine_Block_H eater.htm

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 12:06 AM
Again, I have to question if what you're saying is bullshit. If you lived in cold-weather climates before then you know that there's nothing worse than freezing your tits off in the morning before your body is fully acclimated to the conditions.
It's called a car cover Numb Nutts.
:lmao the Krew :lmao

Instead of sitting in your car jacking off for 15 minutes, yeah invest in a car cover.
Your Backpage.com date may appreciate you more.

DMC
01-14-2017, 12:38 AM
Keeping car windows free of defrost with silica cat litter.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/silica-kitty-litter-and-a-sock-will-stop-your-car-windows-from-fogging-up-video-100557.html

http://lifehacker.com/prevent-car-windows-from-fogging-up-with-cat-litter-fil-1668963388

That's all fine and good except when it's cold as fuck outside the relative humidty drops very low so it's not why you need a defroster. You breathing inside your car is however. So unless you want to breathe through cat litter, just use the defroster. The icing on the windshield can be thwarted with a 100W bulb on an extenstion cord looped through your car window (at your own risk). IPA is also a good remedy, it will cut the ice quickly (use caution if you have a small crack on your windshield, it will spread quickly if you hit it with liquid while cold). Diesels have heaters you can plug in and it can prevent even ice on your windshield (and you'll see that round patch of bare hood in the morning, and a higher electric bill).

Besides, how long do you want to keep your car? In very frigid temps, older engines get brittle and you'll find bits of metal in the oil pan if you get crazy on the throttle during warming, however some diesels will not get warm enough at idle to maintain suitable temps for cabin environments. Some diesels have built in heaters that just compensate for that, and some have high idle mods to keep the engine temps up. Newer car parts are often hardened through ion implantation so they do not chip during cold starts.

You might not read that on the web, I just happen it know it for a fact.

DMC
01-14-2017, 12:44 AM
It's called a car cover Numb Nutts.
:lmao the Krew :lmao

Instead of sitting in your car jacking off for 15 minutes, yeah invest in a car cover.
Your Backpage.com date may appreciate you more.

Yeah, that's a great solution. Instead of sitting indoors while your car heats up, go out and beat the ice off the car cover, then get that shit all over you as you remove the cover and place it in your garage where it likely melts and makes a wet mess. Then you have to deal with a cold car nonetheless. Brilliant. Garage anyone?

monosylab1k
01-14-2017, 12:54 AM
Per usual.....Faggs posts a stupid thread asking stupid questions. Everyone reacts like any normal person would, then Faggs gets pissy and insults people for being nice enough to let him know how big a dipshit he is :lmao

monosylab1k
01-14-2017, 12:56 AM
Also just pour Coke on your windows, it will clear off the ice super fast, and as an added bonus for Fabbs, his broke ass can collect it off the ground to make a Coke sno cone.

Xevious
01-14-2017, 03:25 AM
I can't imagine a woman putting up with somebody who skimps on heat and has cat litter all over his car--just so you can get an extra 15-20K miles out of your ol' beater.

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 08:58 AM
Yeah, that's a great solution. Instead of sitting indoors while your car heats up, go out and beat the ice off the car cover, then get that shit all over you as you remove the cover and place it in your garage where it likely melts and makes a wet mess. Then you have to deal with a cold car nonetheless. Brilliant. Garage anyone?
:lol Try upping your troll game. If The Laundry Krew is going to pretend like they have lived up North....

You really don't know how to take a car cover off? :lmao

https://youtu.be/_UErimZAR4I

DarrinS
01-14-2017, 09:21 AM
Only if you have an old carbureted engine.

UZER
01-14-2017, 10:01 AM

What if I don't have a cat?

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 10:03 AM
What if I don't have a cat?Ask your Mom/group home director/probation officer/husband to buy you some at the store?

DJR210
01-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Pour cinnamon whiskey all over the motor

UZER
01-14-2017, 10:12 AM
Piss on the windshield

UZER
01-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Or piss in a sandwich bag and put it in the car. The warmth will defrost the windows.

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Or piss in a sandwich bag and put it in the car. The warmth will defrost the windows.
Or join The Laundry Krew and spend 15 minutes out there.
Be sure to wear protection. :lol

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Pour cinnamon whiskey all over the motor
No no use 160 proof alcohol and get the motor drunk then take advantage of it.
That'l work!

UZER
01-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Or join The Laundry Krew and spend 15 minutes out there.
Be sure to wear protection. :lol

Don't know what the laundry crew is. I'm just having a little fun. :toast

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Oh i am too. No problem :rollin

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Here is a picture of part of The Laundry Krew. :toast
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn188/DJR210/whitepants2_zpshkmb4lam.png

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 10:28 AM
and The Laundry Krew taking a short break from posting:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn188/DJR210/whitepants1_zpsuszf18yx.png

DJR210
01-14-2017, 10:29 AM
When you thought things couldn't get stupider..

Reck
01-14-2017, 10:35 AM
When you thought things couldn't get stupider..

Fabb's next thread: How can I put 1 foot in front of another? Is it call walking?

Blake
01-14-2017, 11:29 AM
I've never tried the silica litter and a sock for moisture. But i might.
You've never tried this, rookie:
http://www.bputah.com/Parts/Land_Range_Rover_Discovery_Defender_Engine_Block_H eater.htm

Yeah but how do the Khardasians do it

chunticakes
01-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Hey Faggs, which cat litter do you recommend for defrosting my windshield?

And what about socks? Cotton or Polyester?

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 11:41 AM
Hey Fabbs, which cat litter do you recommend for defrosting my windshield?

And take away all that moisture that you and The Krew want in your 15 minutes of warming up activities?
Nah.

DJR210
01-14-2017, 11:51 AM
OP seems like a mixture of bizarre foreigner/retard/sociopath..

HarlemHeat37
01-14-2017, 11:54 AM

He's the most fascinating poster on Spurstalk, tbh, considering he probably isn't trolling..

Look at the titles on the list of threads he has created..it doesn't make sense that a real life human being behaves this way:lol

chunticakes
01-14-2017, 12:09 PM

Yeah his persecutory delusions lead me to believe one of the following:

1. He's had a brain injury. Maybe his mom dropped him on his head too many times or something of that nature...
2. He abuses certain drugs that provoke his psychosis such as coke, meth, etc.
3. Genetics. Maybe he was born with a neurological disease such as Huntington's or something.

In any event, it must suck waking up thinking your dog is plotting to kill you or your boyfriend poisoned your coffee, right Faggs?

Fabbs
01-14-2017, 12:13 PM
He's the most fascinating poster on Spurstalk, tbh, considering he probably isn't trolling..

Look at the titles on the list of threads he has created..it doesn't make sense that a real life human being behaves this way:lol
You live and drive in the far north, but you've never heard of and don't use a snow and ice car cover? I know some people don't want to futz with a cover, but when the alternative is 15 minutes of scraping etc, wow.

SpursforSix
01-14-2017, 02:44 PM
You live and drive in the far north, but you've never heard of and don't use a snow and ice car cover? I know some people don't want to futz with a cover, but when the alternative is 15 minutes of scraping etc, wow.

Bend over, I'll fucking futz your cover.
Bend over, I'll fucking show you 15 minutes of scraping.
Take your pick.

DMC
01-15-2017, 02:16 PM
:lol Try upping your troll game. If The Laundry Krew is going to pretend like they have lived up North....

You really don't know how to take a car cover off? :lmao

https://youtu.be/_UErimZAR4I

Pretty sure no one cares about having powdery snow on their cars as it would just fly off anyhow. It's the frozen shit that you have to beat off (your specialty) with a scraper. I'd like to see you fold that shit off the car and recover your car cover without making a mess.

I lived in Denver before you were born and lived in Bolton Ontario as well so I know enough about it. Car cover has nothing to do with cold starts and I'm not standing out in the freezing rain putting a cover on a car. Since you're too poor to buy gas, your car (if you have one) likely just sits at your apartment complex idle.

DMC
01-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Hey Faggs, which cat litter do you recommend for defrosting my windshield?

Generic cat litter, used of course to save money and the socks, the ones you're wearing. Duh... take them off and use them, then shake out the cat shit and put them back on.

DJR210
01-15-2017, 02:48 PM
Pretty sure no one cares about having powdery snow on their cars as it would just fly off anyhow. It's the frozen shit that you have to beat off (your specialty) with a scraper. I'd like to see you fold that shit off the car and recover your car cover without making a mess.

I lived in Denver before you were born and lived in Bolton Ontario as well so I know enough about it. Car cover has nothing to do with cold starts and I'm not standing out in the freezing rain putting a cover on a car. Since you're too poor to buy gas, your car (if you have one) likely just sits at your apartment complex idle.

:lmao

z0sa
01-16-2017, 04:06 AM
<97 model, yes. After, 10 seconds is all you need.

01-18-2017, 08:34 PM
just realized that faggs and cat lyfe scrub would make perfect housemates :lol

Black Stan
12-19-2018, 02:59 PM

Millennial_Messiah
12-20-2018, 12:12 AM

if you live up north, get a house with a fuckin garage. preferably detached

Chucho
12-20-2018, 12:13 AM

Why a detached garage?

TDMVPDPOY
12-20-2018, 12:17 AM

and if u got a car port make sure its roof is slanted to one side instead of that traditional pointy going down t he middle, so in the future if u intend to put up walls to turn it into a room, the rain will slide down to one side of the roof inclination, instead of dripping to ur main brick wall house and down t he gutters...cause theres a high chance your house or the new carport room has a leakage cause carports are never built to be waterproof from the joints that is attached to a existing wall compared to the normal way of building a new room extension

Millennial_Messiah
12-20-2018, 01:33 AM
and if u got a car port make sure its roof is slanted to one side instead of that traditional pointy going down t he middle, so in the future if u intend to put up walls to turn it into a room, the rain will slide down to one side of the roof inclination, instead of dripping to ur main brick wall house and down t he gutters...cause theres a high chance your house or the new carport room has a leakage cause carports are never built to be waterproof from the joints that is attached to a existing wall compared to the normal way of building a new room extension

Believe me I learned this shit the hard way as I built houses in Columbus, OH... shit can cost upwards of $15K if you're not careful tbh.

If you go about building a garage/carport, it's better to maintain it that way. Don't plan on turning half of it into a room or mancave or some shit. If you only want to use half for your car then use the other half to store lawnmowers, chemicals, garden stuff, poisons etc. Stuff you don't want in the main part of your house.

Millennial_Messiah
12-20-2018, 01:38 AM
Why a detached garage?

Mainly a personal preference, but it's never really a good idea to get one of those multi-story houses where the garage is under the master bedroom or another bedroom upstairs. Not only does it cause drafts to seep upstairs in the summertime, but also insects and rodents get up in your house a lot easier because no climate control in there. Raises average cost of electricity per square foot. I guess the main advantage is that it does provide a little more shelter and warmth for your car, but not much.

Spurtacular
12-23-2018, 07:56 PM

Link didn't work; but I used to have to warm it up or the fluids froze and/or battery went out. Some people buy overnight engine warmers that plug in to ac outlets to prevent that.

Spurtacular
12-23-2018, 08:46 PM
and The Laundry Krew taking a short break from posting:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn188/DJR210/whitepants1_zpsuszf18yx.png

From left to right, they were?

Blake
12-26-2018, 10:03 PM
Oh look derp wants to meet more guys

TimmyBuckets
12-27-2018, 11:04 PM
Its a lease so idgaf.

DarrinS
12-30-2018, 11:28 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/warming-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-the-engine/ar-BBRxAEj?ocid=AMZN

DMC
04-21-2021, 09:09 PM

Millennial_Messiah
04-21-2021, 09:44 PM
wat?