PDA

View Full Version : Game grades, Spurs @ Mexico Suns 01/14/17

ElNono
01-14-2017, 08:52 PM
A special game, played right across Robdiaz home, allowed us to take a closer look at the Spurs again, playing against the Suns, a fairly irregular team. Microwave Mills and rook Murray couldn't play due to injury.

This was a pretty close game throughout, with the Spurs playing better in the 1st half, and the Suns taking over the 2nd half. It's worthwhile asking if Pop took the team to a Mayan history class before the game, because at times Pop and the team seemed to be thinking about something else. At the end of the game, the Spurs had every chance to win it, but between missed freebies, turnovers and missed 3 pointers, they rescued defeat from the jaws of victory. Embarrassing, tbh.

Individually, this happened:

LaSharkus Aldrige: B
He played a good game overall, considering a physical Chandler was defending him at times. When the Suns tried to cover him with somebody smaller, he made them pay. He was weak rebounding though, and he looked tired at certain times, makes you wonder if he's been lurking on the Red (or Pink) Zone of Mexico city.

The Klaw Leonard: A-
Simply exceptional. He couldn't be guarded at times. Plus, when his shot is going, the Spurs are near unbeatable. The bad spot today was that sometimes he pushed too hard to draw the easy foul and get to the line, which wasn't always effective. The freebie he missed at the end was costly, but he was phenomenal.

Danny Green: D
He just had a lackluster game. In this particular game, he tried to penetrate and finish at the rim early, and he did that well. His 3 point shooting though was horrible, including an airbal 3 in the 3rd quarter, very uncharacteristic. His defense was surprisingly lackluster too.

MVPau: C
The rebounds LMA didn't grab, Pau got them. That was mostly his contribution to this game. The team really didn't need more from him on. Defensively, he was weak, something that's par for the course at this point, tbh

Tony Parker: C
He didn't distribute much in this game, like he's been doing lately, and he looked for his number more. Generally, he was effective in that role. He had some trouble guarding a great player like Ulis here or there, but in general he did well.

Fathead Anderson: B-
He didn't play much, nor shot the ball much. During the first half, his only shot was a 3 pointer that he took and made without hesitation. Not bad. He can burn minutes for the Spurs when he's not hurting the team.

Manu Ginobili: C
He started like a truck through a French street, rolling over any Suns player on the way. His defense was also a plus during that time. As usual, some shit passes evened out his production. Nevertheless, playing at home, he showed some improvement compared to his last few games. Towards the end, some of his plays were determinant to keep the Spurs in the game, but a foul that wasn't called and ended up in a fastbreak dunk for the Suns will likely cast a shadow over what was otherwise a good game from him.

Juice Simmons: C-
He dropped down a gear compared to his last few games, and the sloppiness with the ball, something that he seemed to be over, reared it's ugly head again. His defense wasn't terrible, with 3 steals and all.

Dedmon: B+
Exceptional defense. A guy that plays hard every possession despite his obvious limitations. He should've played more, IMO

David Lee: C-
You could call him Casper the ghost too in this game. He was transparent, didn't do anything in 10 mins.

Forbes: D
It's not really fair, he hasn't played all year, it's not his fault. He's just not at this level yet.

Bertrans: INC
Just didn't play much.

Dictator Pop: D
Basically, the little he did was the usual shit of calling a timeout or replacing a guy when we're hot and on a run. Other than that, he was probably checking out a tequila catalog throughout the game.

From Downtown
01-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Too nice with Pau

ElNono
01-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Too nice with Pau

Graded on expectation, tbh... I don't expect much from him anymore. He did grab boards. The fact that Dedmon should've played more is on Pop, not Pau, IMO.

apalisoc_9
01-14-2017, 08:56 PM
Pop subs late in the third caused the spurs the game.

I don't think he actually believe in "hot hands" It's more a matter of fatigue for him.

He wanted to take Leonard out so he can start him earlier in the fourth. really no problem with that.

It's those silly subs mid 4th where the suns took an 8 point lead with Leonard glued to the bench.

RD2191
01-14-2017, 08:57 PM
:lmao thanks for the shout out

Hoops Czar
01-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Graded on expectation, tbh... I don't expect much from him anymore. He did grab boards. The fact that Dedmon should've played more is on Pop, not Pau, IMO.

If that's the case, why does Pop get a D? At this point, are you still expecting big things from him.

ElNono
01-14-2017, 08:59 PM
If that's the case, why does Pop get a D? At this point, are you still expecting big things from him.

Because it was a competitive game all the way to the end. I mean, he can certainly do worse.

elemento
01-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Too nice with Aldridge and Simmons as well. It's probably the worst game I've seen from Simmons in a Spurs jersey and Aldridge had 13 points on 14 shots and only 4 rebounds. Couldn't even post up the Suns dipper boys. I'd give Simmons a D-, Aldridge a C- and Popovich a F.

Duncan's product really gave away this game in the 4Q

TheGreatYacht
01-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Parker and Manu played better games than LMA, and Poop deserves an F

Thanks for the grades though, fam :tu

ElNono
01-14-2017, 09:00 PM
I was writing this while we were still up, tbh... maybe that's why the grades look a bit higher than usual.... then again, they actually reflect the Spurs played generally well for a long stretch then proceeded to stunk it up.

Sometimes the final buzzer overshadows everything else, but it shouldn't be like that.

SAGirl
01-14-2017, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the grades Nono.
I thought Spurs needed more from Lamarcus and Pau and I thought Simmons fouls (5) were problematic and caused Devin Booker to continue to get hot and his own (Simmons) minutes to be cut. In a game Spurs were short staffed in guards I think they needed good JSimms to show up...
i can't blame Manu much.. he played 25 minutes due to JSimms own poor play and foul trouble...

DarrinS
01-14-2017, 09:06 PM
"He started like a truck through a French street"

Yikes -- maybe too soon, dude.

SAGirl
01-14-2017, 09:09 PM
Too nice with Aldridge and Simmons as well. It's probably the worst game I've seen from Simmons in a Spurs jersey and Aldridge had 13 points on 14 shots and only 4 rebounds. Couldn't even post up the Suns dipper boys. I'd give Simmons a D-, Aldridge a C- and Popovich a F.

I would be inclined to agree... :tu

ElNono
01-14-2017, 09:15 PM

Agree. Just came out naturally, but it's kinda gross in retrospect.

DarrinS
01-14-2017, 09:19 PM

No problema, hombre.

FkLA
01-14-2017, 09:26 PM

Yeah I legit gasped when I read that, tbh.

Gracias for the grades, Nono.

RD2191
01-14-2017, 09:27 PM

Never too soon to rip on the french. TBH

cd98
01-14-2017, 09:28 PM
LMA probably still recovering from stomach flu. It took Kawhi a game before he was back to himself.

YGWHI
01-14-2017, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the grades :tu

Dictator Pop: D
Basically, the little he did was the usual shit of calling a timeout or replacing a guy when we're hot and on a run. Other than that, he was probably checking out a tequila catalog throughout the game.
I remember a particular timeout in the second half.

Spurs scored a few points, Kawhi was doing great, he had the ball with Booker defending him in the post...That's likely the best chance on offfense the Spurs can get...But Pop called a timeout.

The possession after the timeout? Spurs missed the ball allowing Suns fastbreak. HORRIBLE Pop decision.

Also, Booker played 37 minutes. Kawhi? 32. Good job Pop!

cd98
01-14-2017, 09:31 PM
Yikes that Manu reference may be too soon. I guess this is Spurstalk.

100%duncan
01-14-2017, 09:37 PM

Omg nono :lol

YGWHI
01-14-2017, 09:40 PM
I thought Simmons fouls (5) were problematic and caused Devin Booker to continue to get hot and his own (Simmons) minutes to be cut.

Yeah...The SF backup was in foul trouble and the starting SF, who is 25 years old and the best player on the team, played just 32 minutes??

So Kawhi was better than Simms defending Booker in some possesions, or at least gave him a hard time denying the ball, and still played only 32??

The same story against Bucks. Kawhi was the only who could defend Beasly but Pop put Kawhi on him just 3 minutes in the game.

HI-FI
Good grades Nono, that joke though :lol damn, poor Brazil.

dabom
Omg nono :lol

ElNono
01-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Good grades Nono, that joke though :lol damn, poor Brazil.

:lol that nigga dfens got me mad with the Zizou chitchat on the Soccer forum, tbh.... Brazil is good people, but technically Brazilian at this point, tbqh, fwiw, IMO...

ElNono
01-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Plus, what's with 'Muricans? I though you guys hated the french.... freedom fries and shit :lol

sasaint
01-14-2017, 09:49 PM

+1

GSH
01-15-2017, 12:17 AM
I was writing this while we were still up, tbh... maybe that's why the grades look a bit higher than usual.... then again, they actually reflect the Spurs played generally well for a long stretch then proceeded to stunk it up.

Sometimes the final buzzer overshadows everything else, but it shouldn't be like that.

Yeah, it's really cool. I can read the grades, and I can completely forget that we lost.

"Gee, Wally... these game grades sure are fun."
"Hush, Beav. You want Pop to get sore at us?" :lol

GSH
01-15-2017, 12:23 AM
BTW - possession after possession in the 4th, the Spurs couldn't even get the ball into the paint, much less threaten to score there. Not having a C who will root for position in the low blocks, and who can't back a man down for shit, is a problem. The paint becomes like a no-go zone in downtown Paris.

silverblackfan
01-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the grades in both languages, Nono. Nit pick, but Kyle hit 2 threes and did not hesitate to shoot outside the line. That was encouraging. (Edit. I see he only had one 3. Could have sworn he hit 2.)

Strategic
01-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the grades. Spot on! The comment that the final buzzer shouldn't over shadow.......reeks of participation trophies.

Darius Bieber
01-15-2017, 04:18 PM
Nice to get grades from someone who was at the game. :downspin:

In all seriousness though, good work. :tu

ElNono
01-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the grades. Spot on! The comment that the final buzzer shouldn't over shadow.......reeks of participation trophies.

It's the regular season, tbh.... I'll leave the neurotic overanalysis for the playoffs, IMO

Brazil
01-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Damn Nono... -_-