PDA

View Full Version : Can Leonard Sustain his Level of Play till his Mid 30s?

apalisoc_9
01-16-2017, 12:06 AM
Being that the whole point of playing him like a 35 year old at age 25 is to prolong his career, based on his tools and skills do you think he can stay Elite for a long time? and what part of his game will deteriorate the most as he gets into his mid 30s? Here's some of his tools and skills

Elite

- Shooter in every part of the court. Catch and shoot, ISO, Post up, Mid-range, Free throw you name it.
- Strength. Ridiculous upper and lower body strength...
- Defensive Fundamentals..Help defender, help the helper, box-out.
- Length..Ability to contest most shots, ability to use length to make up for speed.

Average

- Vertical..uses it at times for putbacks but otherwise, very average to possibly below average.
- Speed/Explosiveness..Barely relies on speed to create separation. Tim Duncan was actually more explosive and was faster relative to his competition...Most of his separation relies on body contact..Doesn't need that much space sometimes none even to make a shot.
- Pick and Roll/Pop is average..Greaet PPP numbers, but those numbers is heavily dependent on his elite shooting.

Basically, his offensive game is heavily reliant on his Shooting and Upper/lower body strength..He opens up so many things with just those two

His defense relies on fundamentals,hard work and Length.

apalisoc_9
01-16-2017, 12:07 AM
Btw, I am bookmarking this page for potential hilarious answers.

Gummi Clutch
01-16-2017, 12:21 AM
He has the skillset and most of all, the brains to succeed in this league well into his late 30s. He doesn't just jump around and rely on his athleticism like a lot of players (WB for example). My main issue is that this team is so reliant on him to play both ends of the floor, dude is a defensive powerhouse, and on offense they take advantage of his kindness while he still hustles and contributes the most---and getting frozen out of games like the last two.

This team and most importantly this arrogant ass coach is going to run him away.

apalisoc_9
01-16-2017, 12:24 AM
He has the skillset and most of all, the brains to succeed in this league well into his late 30s. He doesn't just jump around and rely on his athleticism like a lot of players (WB for example). My main issue is that this team is so reliant on him to play both ends of the floor, dude is a defensive powerhouse, and on offense they take advantage of his kindness while he still hustles and contributes the most---and getting frozen out of games like the last two.

This team and most importantly this arrogant ass coach is going to run him away.

He would probably need an Elite defensive player to cover up for him in games when he's offense is significantly more important to the success of his team..Its' already is, but as he enters his 30s..most likely, he would need a legit top 15 two way player to sustain his level of play.

james evans
01-16-2017, 12:26 AM
don't count on him still being here. Do you think any player in their prime and right mind would want to play with the current popovich and parker?

apalisoc_9
01-16-2017, 12:27 AM
don't count on him still being here. Do you think any player in their prime and right mind would want to play with the current popovich and parker?

yeah dude, regardless if he stays or not..Do you think he can sustain his level of play in san antonio or elsewhere? :lol

Nathan89
01-16-2017, 12:38 AM
Yeah, he should be able to play for a long time. If he ever gets an elite guard it'll just make him look better for an even longer period of time.

Robz4000
01-16-2017, 12:46 AM
He might have to shift more to a PF towards the end of his career, but I don't see why be can't remain a Top 15 player until he's 34/35.

Kawhitstorm
01-16-2017, 12:57 AM
Carmelo, who I have always compared to Kawhi, had his best offensive seasons in year 10 & 11. Kawhi is a better 3 point shooter so he should age even better.

As far as defense, even post-'93 Jordan couldn't sustain his play in his mid 30s after coming back from retirement.

YGWHI
01-16-2017, 12:57 AM
Basically, his offensive game is heavily reliant on his Shooting and Upper/lower body strength..He opens up so many things with just those two

His defense relies on fundamentals,hard work and Length.

Unlike Parker, Manu...Kawhi's game doesn't rely on speed or explosiveness. I can see him aging a lot better on both ends than our old combo guard or guys like Harden and Russ.

31-33 years old Kawhi would start to lose his ability to bully guys in the post but I don't think he'll play many years more after that.

Kawhitstorm
01-16-2017, 01:00 AM
He might have to shift more to a PF towards the end of his career, but I don't see why be can't remain a Top 15 player until he's 34/35.

He can guard guys like Ryan Anderson/Gaymond who he has no problem boxing out so if the small-ball trend continues then he might be a 4 when he's 30.

apalisoc_9
01-16-2017, 01:02 AM
Carmelo, who I have always compared to Kawhi, had his best offensive seasons in year 10 & 11. Kawhi is a better 3 point shooter so he should age even better.

As far as defense, even post-'93 Jordan couldn't sustain his play in his mid 30s after coming back from retirement.

Yeah I know. That's why I said, he might need a legit two way player to cover him at that age. Green would be too old by then. A younger e guard that can defend and shoot will do wonders for a 35 year old kawhi.

apalisoc_9
01-16-2017, 01:03 AM
He can guard guys like Ryan Anderson/Gaymond who he has no problem boxing out so if the small-ball trend continues then he might be a 4 when he's 30.

I suspect he will continue playing the three till around 33-34..

Kawhitstorm
01-16-2017, 01:07 AM
Unlike guards like Parker, Manu, Kawhi's game doesn't rely on speed or explosiveness...I can see him aging a lot better on both ends than our old combo guard.

31-33 years old Kawhi will start to lose his ability to bully guys in the post but I don't think he'll play many years more after that.

He's going to start shooting a lot more 3s when he can't get the lift to shoot over defenders w/ his fadeaway. Carmelo basically moved to the 4 & increased his 3 point attempts when he led the league in scoring.

Jordan was the best athlete in the league during his PEAK than he was still an elite athlete even after he lost a couple of steps post-93.

Kawhitstorm
01-16-2017, 01:08 AM
I suspect he will continue playing the three till around 33-34..

Pop will probably sign Brook Lopez when Pau retires.:lol

DMC
01-16-2017, 01:13 AM
Sure he can. He's not necessarily a high energy guy like Westbrook, he's gifted and works hard at his craft, so 30 isn't some magical number beyond the reach of the average player.

It's more about whether or not this team or any team puts him in a position to illustrate that he can, and that depends on how aggressive he is in pursuing a leadership role here or elsewhere. Tony isn't the only PG in the NBA that would freeze him out.

He won't need to though. If he needs to he's fucked.

apalisoc_9
01-16-2017, 01:28 AM

I like Lopez, but his rebounding numbers is scary.

YGWHI
01-16-2017, 01:30 AM

IDK...He said he wants to retire as Spur.

Anyway. After half season, Kawhi is #4 in PER, having the best Total Shooting Percentage over the top 35 in PER players with 180.3%
http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/stats/2017/Advanced_Stats/Qualified/per/All/desc/1/Regular_Season

Also, his 28.1 PER is the highest for a Spurs player, DRob finished 97-98 season with 27.8, the highest for a Spur in a whole season.

http://i.imgur.com/fnUA2kL.jpg
(The comparison was made last month with Kawhi's 27.4 PER)

I'm not good at these mental excercises by imagining Kawhi, the league in the next 10 years...But for Spurs' sake, Pop should allow Kawhi to be the best player he can be.

Let Kawhi on the court to keep learning and improving. Especially in close games. And playoffs series.

LakerHater
01-16-2017, 01:31 AM
cross that bridge whn we get there

james evans
01-16-2017, 01:54 AM
Or Lebron for $20 million a year in 2020

james evans
01-16-2017, 01:57 AM

Yep. The whole 2nd 3 peat by the bulls Jordan was hid on defense and they still put that fucker on the 1st team all defense his first full season back. I never liked the dick riding the league did with him. That's why he was allowed to go crazy on offense because he wasn't guarding anyone. And by the time they got to the finals, he was fresh and still didn't guard anyone worth a damn the 2nd 3 peat during the finals. But if you let espn and the people that never even saw him play tell it, he was shutting down the best player on the other team while leading his team in scoring

apalisoc_9
01-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Kawhi would need his pippen when he hits 30..

All Mighty Janitor
01-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Kawhi would need his pippen when he hits 30..
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpR2tvdUMAAHkbL.jpg

cd98
01-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Highly likely that the people that call Parker "Porker" and call Manu "Manure" are going to be calling Kawhi "kuit" and calling for him to be benched by the time he is 33.

Brazil
01-16-2017, 04:15 PM
why asking if you already are convinced ?

Seventyniner
01-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Forget sustaining, I think Kawhi is going to get even better over the next few years. His BBIQ will continue to increase and I think court vision (on offense) is the next step to his evolution.

diego
01-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Considering kawhi has only played over 70 games in one season, I think it's a good thing pop is being careful with him. Just because he isn't a leaper doesnt mean he doesn't need his knees, and since he carries a big load on both ends / plays inside and on the perimeter he has more wear in his minutes than a guy like curry.

Dre_7
01-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Yes, he can. Kawhi will go down as one of the GOATS.

dabom
01-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Kawhi will lose weight in his early 30's and stay a 3 or move to a 2.

SpursforSix
01-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Yes, he can. Kawhi will go down as one of the GOATS.

Man...I hope so. I'm a huge fan. But I can also see him being one level below the greats. Somewhere above TMac and Kirby but below Jordan and Duncan.

Dre_7
01-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Man...I hope so. I'm a huge fan. But I can also see him being one level below the greats. Somewhere above TMac and Kirby but below Jordan and Duncan.

I have to disagree. With his work ethic and his desire to be great I think that, unless he gets a serious injury, he will be in the Jordan, Duncan, Magic category.

SpursforSix
01-16-2017, 05:24 PM
I have to disagree. With his work ethic and his desire to be great I think that, unless he gets a serious injury, he will be in the Jordan, Duncan, Magic category.

Like I said...I hope so. Maybe it's his demeanor that makes me wonder/doubt. I can't think of many players at that top level that seemed so...I don't know...unassertive...demure.

YGWHI
01-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Considering kawhi has only played over 70 games in one season, I think it's a good thing pop is being careful with him. Just because he isn't a leaper doesnt mean he doesn't need his knees, and since he carries a big load on both ends / plays inside and on the perimeter he has more wear in his minutes than a guy like curry.

If Spurs build a 15/20 points lead starting the 4th quarter, I guess no one wants to see Kawhi on the court. That's being careful with his minutes and resting him in a good way.

But in a close game or playoffs, playing him 33 minutes isn't that good. He'll lose a lot of learning experiences for playing those limited minutes.

Kawhi won't be LeBron, nobody will be like him, he's an unique generational player but talking about him or Tim, they had a lot more of playing time in regular season and playoffs in his 20's and mid 20's than Kawhi on these days.

How many close games the Spurs play in the regular season? 10? How many close playoffs games in a series? 2? 3?...Pop should let him on the court in those games.

Gummi Clutch
01-16-2017, 05:57 PM
He would probably need an Elite defensive player to cover up for him in games when he's offense is significantly more important to the success of his team..Its' already is, but as he enters his 30s..most likely, he would need a legit top 15 two way player to sustain his level of play.
Yup. Kind of hard when Manure and Enrique are your cast.

Spurtacular
01-16-2017, 06:03 PM

OP's hillarious, tbh.

Spurtacular
01-16-2017, 06:04 PM

You'd have to get out of your safe space.

ducks
01-16-2017, 09:04 PM

I hope not if he leaves at first chance you say he will do