PDA

View Full Version : Bud gets another of our sloppy seconds

SpurPadre
01-16-2017, 02:17 AM
Gary Neal, lol. Talk about bottom of the barrel. Guess he'd rather get a chucker who can't defend shoeless players than Kyle Anderson, tbh.

dabom
01-16-2017, 02:27 AM
I liked Gary Neal.

Ice009
01-16-2017, 03:08 AM
I liked him up until game 6.

Was he still in the NBA?

timtonymanu
01-16-2017, 04:29 AM
Choo choo!

I liked Neal though during his time here. Played above expectations and was a clutch shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGnJ0uUgJIw

At the same time, the Spurs finally rang again after he left. But it's not like Hawks are picking up DeBroke Blair or Austin Daye.

MI21
01-16-2017, 09:38 AM
I liked him up until game 6.

Was he still in the NBA?

He was in the D-League.

I can't believe he wasn't on an NBA Roster, he averaged 10ppg last season on 46% and 41% on 3's.

james evans
01-16-2017, 10:45 AM
he couldn't defend, but he could hit the open 3

FromWayDowntown
01-16-2017, 11:09 AM
I can't believe he wasn't on an NBA Roster, he averaged 10ppg last season on 46% and 41% on 3's.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Is-ex-Spur-Gary-Neal-s-reputation-keeping-from-a-8378746.php

But his reputation has been tarnished by recent reports from Washington.

CSN Mid-Atlantic reporter J. Michael noted that former teammates complained about Neal's behavior in the locker room. One pointedly asked former Spur Drew Gooden: "What is wrong with that dude."

Another former teammate told Michael that they felt Neal was trying to show him up all season, even if Neal's primary concerns were to produce better statistics to improve his chances of getting a new contract.

Another unnamed teammate told Michael after Neal's Facebook post: "Terrible teammate. All about himself."

Perhaps more pointedly locally, Michael reported that Neal openly complained about Spurs coach Gregg Popovich while on the bench during a game against the Spurs last season. Neal also has been known to recite his statistics and what he shoots from certain spots on the floor better than others who, in his words, weren't as good as him and making more money, according to Michael's story.

Texas_Ranger
01-16-2017, 11:09 AM
best clutch shooter the Spurs had in the last 10 years.

MI21
01-16-2017, 11:18 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Is-ex-Spur-Gary-Neal-s-reputation-keeping-from-a-8378746.php

I get it now. Thanks :lol

GSH
01-16-2017, 11:48 AM

CSN Mid-Atlantic reporter J. Michael noted that former teammates complained about Neal's behavior in the locker room. One pointedly asked former Spur Drew Gooden: "What is wrong with that dude."

:lol That's not good.

Hawks looked like they were in blow-it-up mode, then they sort of cut it off in mid-stream. Adding Neal makes me wonder if they've given up. Nobody thinks that adding Gary Neal is going to make your team better. Okay, maybe the Nets. But nobody else thinks that.

sasaint
01-16-2017, 11:53 AM

Mighty scathing. If true, it makes you wonder how he lasted with the Spurs without being waived.

Chinook
01-16-2017, 11:55 AM
It's a damned shame that he is apparently a PoS in the locker room. Wouldn't be a bad 15th man. The Spurs are really lacking in play-making and perimeter defense.

GSH
01-16-2017, 11:58 AM
It's a damned shame that he is apparently a PoS in the locker room. Wouldn't be a bad 15th man. The Spurs are really lacking in play-making and perimeter defense.

He was def a malcontent. I always sort of had the feeling that they "let him get away" because they just didn't like him, as much as anything else. Easy to say from the comfort of the couch, but the article sort of says the same.

That being said, Coach Bud knows him about as well as anyone. Obviously he thought that there was more positive there than negative.

spurtech09
01-16-2017, 12:56 PM
he couldn't defend, but he could hit the open 3

TheGreatYacht
01-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Would happily take him over Manu

phxspurfan
01-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Choo choo!

I liked Neal though during his time here. Played above expectations and was a clutch shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGnJ0uUgJIw

At the same time, the Spurs finally rang again after he left. But it's not like Hawks are picking up DeBroke Blair or Austin Daye.

Bonner, Blair, McDyess, Jefferson lol. How far we've come

Play Boban
01-16-2017, 06:41 PM
Gray Neal was the dark ages.

tim_duncan_fan
01-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Gray Neal was the dark ages.

Better than Keith "The Centerpiece" Bogans.

Play Boban
01-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Better than Keith "The Centerpiece" Bogans.
Truth bomb. :wow

Ice009
01-16-2017, 10:15 PM
He was a lethal shooter, and without knowing him, I also thought he was a decent guy. I wonder if he acted that way on the Spurs? I don't recall hearing anything bad about him while on the team.

gospursgojas
01-17-2017, 01:08 AM

But his reputation has been tarnished by recent reports from Washington.

Another former teammate told Michael that they felt Neal was trying to show him up all season, even if Neal's primary concerns were to produce better statistics to improve his chances of getting a new contract.

Another unnamed teammate told Michael after Neal's Facebook post: "Terrible teammate. All about himself."

Perhaps more pointedly locally, Michael reported that Neal openly complained about Spurs coach Gregg Popovich while on the bench during a game against the Spurs last season. Neal also has been known to recite his statistics and what he shoots from certain spots on the floor better than others who, in his words, weren't as good as him and making more money, according to Michael's story.

Who writes out the whole word statistics?

Chinook
01-17-2017, 07:32 AM
Who writes out the whole word statistics?

People who follow decent guidelines for journalism. It was an age ago that I had to care about AP style, but I'm pretty confident that was one of the things I had to check for back in the day.

apalisoc_9
01-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Neal never seemed like he connected with the players around here, specially Ginobili. I recall an incident where he was barking at pop for benching him. The reports about him satisfies my suspicion.

TimDunkem
01-17-2017, 11:46 AM
What?! Don't you remember a shoeless, geriatric Mike Miller lit him up in the Finals? Derek Fisher even killed the guy on numerous occasions. He could never defend...

Chinook
01-17-2017, 11:55 AM
What?! Don't you remember a shoeless, geriatric Mike Miller lit him up in the Finals? Derek Fisher even killed the guy on numerous occasions. He could never defend...

And he was a horrible PG who could do very little to create for anyone but himself. I'm so surprised that it took this long for someone to notice.

NameLess Scrub
01-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Good memories of him are because he was a fearless shooter and had good range from 3.

$pursDynasty
01-17-2017, 02:06 PM
I liked going "Neal with it" back in the day. He wouldn't really help much now in that he and Patty give us the same thing. I wish our bench could add a Jamal Crawford type, a natural born scorer. There are many times when Pop goes wholesale bench substitution, that we seem incapable of scoring.