PDA

View Full Version : Pop: We're not where we want to be

Uriel
01-18-2017, 06:49 AM
"We're not where we want to be. That's all I know. And no team is where they want to be. Maybe Golden State is. But the rest of us are trying to get there."

-- Gregg Popovich

BillMc
01-18-2017, 07:00 AM
This is true. Looking forward to seeing if a 64 win pace team gels on the RRT this year. Could be scary good.

Robz4000
01-18-2017, 07:09 AM
Don't think they quite have the personnel to get where they want to be, and I'm not confident in Pop getting them there even if they do.

vander
01-18-2017, 07:27 AM
"We're not where we want to be. That's all I know. And no team is where they want to be. Maybe Golden State is. But the rest of us are trying to get there."

-- Gregg Popovich

I'm not seeing the significance of this. did anyone think the Spurs (and all the other teams) were right where they wanted to be?

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-18-2017, 07:34 AM
As long as he doesn't say they're soft.

NameLess Scrub
01-18-2017, 07:55 AM
Is anybody where they want to be? Most people probably not.. Who is where they want to be?

This is your life, are YOU where you wanna be?

Chinook
01-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Don't think they quite have the personnel to get where they want to be, and I'm not confident in Pop getting them there even if they do.

Really not loving Pop's hand on the team this year. There was a stretch in the game where the Spurs came back due to Minny not being able to execute on offense without turning the ball over. The Spurs weren't scoring well either, but the Wolves had gone like 10 possessions it felt like without scoring. The Spurs score like eight straight points, then Minny scores on a long-two and Pop calls a TO.

Who really needed the break there? The Wolves. The Spurs were chaotic, but that was working for them on the whole. Thibs settled his team down during the TO, and they pushed the lead back up to like six or eight. Stopping that sequence was just poor coaching in my mind. It completely bailed out Thibs, who was running out of TOs and losing control of his club. He gets it in his head that he's going to call a TO, and even if the Spurs get on a run, he stops it as soon as the other team scores.

cutewizard
01-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Is anybody where they want to be? Most people probably not.. Who is where they want to be?

This is your life, are YOU where you wanna be?

------------------------------------------

We are all moving where we want to be.....

We hope GS Warriors move downhill, just hoping, hahahaha

cutewizard
01-18-2017, 08:11 AM
I want more infighting within the GS circle, like Draymond against Durant, hahahaha

RD2191
01-18-2017, 10:20 AM
They need some consistency. A win streak would be nice.

Dex
01-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Just like every Spurs team in January.

FkLA
01-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Him sucking off GS is getting kind of old. I've never seen an elite coach fawn over an opposing team like that, tbh.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Just like every Spurs team in January.

And 90% of them when it comes April/May

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Him sucking off GS is getting kind of old. I've never seen an elite coach fawn over an opposing team like that, tbh.

Can't blame him, tbh. GS's ceiling is significantly higher than that of SA's, and Spurs will need at least 3-4 players to play really really well to make a series out of it. I don't put too much stock in the opening day game at this point.

:tu

NameLess Scrub
01-18-2017, 11:29 AM
------------------------------------------

We are all moving where we want to be.....

We hope GS Warriors move downhill, just hoping, hahahaha

:lol

dabom
01-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Has Pop used the "soft" card yet? :lol

$pursDynasty
01-18-2017, 11:48 AM
FkLa, actually I think he does that too motivate/piss his players off. That first game of the season, the Spurs look like they wanted to show Pop what they thought of that team he is always fawning over.

TheGreatYacht
01-18-2017, 12:01 PM
Already kissing up to GSW per par, while Raymond and crew let it be known they don't take us seriously :lol

Didnt he say they were "unsolvable" last year? Lmfao

Tyronn Lou >>>>>

Spur|n|Austin
01-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Another year, same story :spam:

Mikeanaro
01-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Yeah, you want to be getting drunk with your wines and the team wants a hungry coach, thats not GSW fault.

ceperez
01-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Wait a second here... Spurs have the 2nd best record in the league and they have 6 new players?

Pau, Lee, Dedmon, Bertans, Murray, Forbes

I think that's good place. The players are getting used to each other an dguys like Aldridge are getting back to form.

SpurPadre
01-18-2017, 02:10 PM
That's code for: "Yep, we're getting curbstomped on Saturday, tbh."

spurraider21
01-18-2017, 02:29 PM
My main gripe with pop is what Chinook mentioned. He seems to take timeouts that kill our own momentum as much as opposing coaches do.

I also think he's had many opportunities to get Bertans minutes and experience. We've had a lot of easy wins where the guy barely played, and barring injury, that's inexcusable. He needs all the experience he can get, he's shown he's talented enough to hang with NBA guys, but the lack of playing time is a concession that he won't have an impact in the postseason. I think that's a mistake

sasaint
01-18-2017, 03:13 PM
My main gripe with pop is what Chinook mentioned. He seems to take timeouts that kill our own momentum as much as opposing coaches do.

I also think he's had many opportunities to get Bertans minutes and experience. We've had a lot of easy wins where the guy barely played, and barring injury, that's inexcusable. He needs all the experience he can get, he's shown he's talented enough to hang with NBA guys, but the lack of playing time is a concession that he won't have an impact in the postseason. I think that's a mistake

Yeah, Bertans has looked like a top eleven rotation player to me - at least.

dabom
01-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Bertans problem is competing with Lee and dedmon. Both really good players right now. Simmons is a good man to man defender and needs time to play vs the top teams. Manu is the odd one but you can't take his minutes because dude is a hof player. We kinda stacked at bench guys.

Mr. Body
01-18-2017, 04:07 PM
They're kind of in the doldrums right now. Can win games even so, but there's a gear they're not hitting. I'm not sure if they will be able to with the current crop, but they can still be awfully good.

SpursforSix
01-18-2017, 04:09 PM
They're kind of in the doldrums right now. Can win games even so, but there's a gear they're not hitting. I'm not sure if they will be able to with the current crop, but they can still be awfully good.

I think they can win a tough series if everything goes right but would be tough to beat GSW then Cleveland. But it's early, maybe they'll find a better rhythm at the right time.

$pursDynasty
01-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Since we are speaking of Pop and his mind games I have heard Chris Broussard say in three different locations (shows) that he fears that Pop will sit his studs in the remaining games against the Dubs, as a mind game and to not give anything away if we meet in the playoffs. I know Broussard isn't the most popular guy on this site but it is something that I can easily see Pop doing, fine be damned.

dabom
01-18-2017, 06:33 PM
Since we are speaking of Pop and his mind games I have heard Chris Broussard say in three different locations (shows) that he fears that Pop will sit his studs in the remaining games against the Dubs, as a mind game and to not give anything away if we meet in the playoffs. I know Broussard isn't the most popular guy on this site but it is something that I can easily see Pop doing, fine be damned.

The remaining games are in SA. No fucking way in hell is he resting any of the games. :lol

You must not know Pop much. :lol

Mr. Body
01-18-2017, 06:51 PM

It'd be pretty smart.

Bender
01-18-2017, 07:12 PM
I think he also said something like "...I have no clue...". At least the quote I remember reading this morning.

Chews
01-18-2017, 07:20 PM
It'd be pretty smart.

I disagree. If we had beaten them twice and this last game is towards the end of the season it makes slightly more sense. Since we've only beaten them once on opening day, to sit our stars as a "mind game", to me, would be like getting a good first punch in a fight and then running as a "mind game" to your opponent. To me, all it shows is that we are scared of losing. No reason to not play them again and get our guys more confidence that we can beat them.

8FOR!3
01-18-2017, 07:42 PM
Ehh, I'm ok with where the Spurs are at right now. I get why Pop says that but I don't know why fans wouldn't be happy. Probably the same fans who were saying we wouldn't be a 50 win team this year.

SAGirl
01-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Nah..
I doubt Pop does that because having such a different team from last season and GSW itself having changed, I am sure Pop wants to get as much experience for those guys as possible.
What he may do however, is play funky lineups and everyone in his deep bench (he did so last season too)... just because his guys are young at the end of the bench and he may want to discover if they can help or not and to get them experience as well. Ppl will say he threw away a game maybe, but for Pop it's all in the grand scheme of things... Can Murray help and have a CoJo like game in the playoffs if one of the PG is injured for example? That kid needs the experience... the same for others. Anyways, it's not even CIA Pop, it might be common sense.

Seventyniner
01-18-2017, 08:20 PM

I usually hate this, but this season I have no problem with it. The Spurs have failed to get to the Warriors the last two seasons, but Pop will need every trick in the book to take them down.

Maddog
01-19-2017, 07:20 AM
Nah..
I doubt Pop does that because having such a different team from last season and GSW itself having changed, I am sure Pop wants to get as much experience for those guys as possible.
What he may do however, is play funky lineups and everyone in his deep bench (he did so last season too)... just because his guys are young at the end of the bench and he may want to discover if they can help or not and to get them experience as well. Ppl will say he threw away a game maybe, but for Pop it's all in the grand scheme of things... Can Murray help and have a CoJo like game in the playoffs if one of the PG is injured for example? That kid needs the experience... the same for others. Anyways, it's not even CIA Pop, it might be common sense.

I usually hate this, but this season I have no problem with it. The Spurs have failed to get to the Warriors the last two seasons, but Pop will need every trick in the book to take them down.
We will not show his full hand. He did last year.