PDA

View Full Version : Trump's strategy on Mexico could be 'dagger at Ohio'

RandomGuy
01-18-2017, 04:15 PM
"Meet cause and effect", or "Another way Donald Trump demonstrates he doesn't understand economics",

DAVOS, Switzerland (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump's threats to firms using Mexico as a manufacturing base will be counterproductive and could eventually cost thousands of American jobs, Lawrence Summers, the former U.S. Treasury Secretary, warned Wednesday.

Summers noted that Trump's "rhetoric and announced policies" over Mexico have led to a big fall in the value of the Mexican peso against the dollar.

The peso has fallen almost 20 percent against the dollar to a record low since Trump's victory in November. That makes it even cheaper to invest in Mexico and export goods from there.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-populism-wont-says-former-102816001.html

:lol

So it begins. Trump's bloviating isn't fooling people who understand international markets, just the people who voted for him.

Winehole23
01-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Tariffs on Mexican goods would be a dagger aimed at Texas.

Reck
01-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Tariffs on Mexican goods would be a dagger aimed at Texas.

Either way, it would be sweet irony. Given that these are the states that people seemed more for Trump than any other state.

boutons_deux
01-18-2017, 04:52 PM
A strong $ also kills US jobs

and if Trash kills the Iran deal, Boeing contract cancelled, Airbus wins it.

Trash is SO FUCKING STUPID, IGNORANT, like his voters.

101A
01-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Either way, it would be sweet irony. Given that these are the states that people seemed more for Trump than any other state.

Americans hurting shouldn't be "sweet", regardless of the cause.

Go Team!

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I've been watching the peso...Toying with the idea of buying a condo in Cabo....

boutons_deux
01-18-2017, 05:11 PM

Go Team!

99% getting hurt is always sweet for, enriches the 1%

FromWayDowntown
01-18-2017, 05:20 PM

Go Team!

I agree with this, though I'm not sure that sentiment accurately reflects the way we interact politically at this point. Some Republicans seem to think that most Democrats are a more substantial enemy to the United States than foreign powers, and vice-versa. Republicans openly hoped that President Obama would fail, and now Democrats are hoping the same failure on President Trump.

We should all be on the same team and be able to recognize that our differences are at least aimed in the same direction, but I don't think you'd actually find that belief in very many partisans who hold elective office or the partisan masses that elect them.

boutons_deux
01-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Trash and the Repugs failing totally at their agendas, platforms would be wonderful, because their success will be disastrous for America.

Chucho
01-18-2017, 05:36 PM

So, why didn't you vote for him? You're fucking stupid and ignorant. Seems like a perfect marriage, you fucking quack job.

boutons_deux
01-18-2017, 05:37 PM
So, why didn't you vote for him? You're fucking stupid and ignorant. Seems like a perfect marriage, you fucking quack job.

:lol you people are so butthurt, so bitch-slapped by The Great Boutons. :lol

SpursforSix
01-18-2017, 05:41 PM

So you expect Trump to turn a blind eye to the pretty obvious breach of the agreement by Iran? Save a few jobs so Iran can build nuclear weapons?
Just think how many oil and gas jobs that will add to the U.S. if they limit Iran's oil production again. I imagine it would more than offset the Boeing contract.

baseline bum
01-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I've been watching the peso...Toying with the idea of buying a condo in Cabo....

No love for the volcanoes? If I was going anywhere in Mexico (other than the whorehouse) it would be to Popocatépetl or Pico de Orizaba.

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2017, 05:57 PM
No love for the volcanoes? If I was going anywhere in Mexico (other than the whorehouse) it would be to Popocatépetl or Pico de Orizaba.

naaa...I like the Pacific.

Chucho
01-18-2017, 10:50 PM
:lol you people are so butthurt, so bitch-slapped by The Great Boutons. :lol

Denial.
Delusion.
Deflection.

Using "bitch slap" in 2017.

Giving yourself a Stuart Smalley.

Yep, you a lonely fat girl.

ElNono
01-19-2017, 01:29 AM

The value of the peso won't matter for that. Most real estate there is sold in US Dollars to tourists.

baseline bum
01-19-2017, 01:48 AM
The value of the peso won't matter for that. Most real estate there is sold in US Dollars to tourists.

Same thing with the whore houses unfortunately

DMC
01-19-2017, 07:43 AM
"Meet cause and effect", or "Another way Donald Trump demonstrates he doesn't understand economics",

So it begins. Trump's bloviating isn't fooling people who understand international markets, just the people who voted for him.
Hurry, unelect him! wait... nm

pgardn
01-19-2017, 08:24 AM

You will be buying from an American hopefully fire selling cause the owners think the Mexican government will confiscate US owned property. At least that's what you should hope for. Otherwise it's gonna be more expensive as the help gets cheaper.

Lots of possible angles. Economics is funny like that.

And I would also take the dryer Pacific air.

Winehole23
01-19-2017, 09:30 AM
I agree with this, though I'm not sure that sentiment accurately reflects the way we interact politically at this point. Some Republicans seem to think that most Democrats are a more substantial enemy to the United States than foreign powers, and vice-versa. Republicans openly hoped that President Obama would fail, and now Democrats are hoping the same failure on President Trump.

We should all be on the same team and be able to recognize that our differences are at least aimed in the same direction, but I don't think you'd actually find that belief in very many partisans who hold elective office or the partisan masses that elect them.Seems jejune to point out commonalities and the common good. Tribalism trumps all.

I used to think Extra Stout's morose prognostications of civil war in the US were overblown -- they seem plausible to me now.

FromWayDowntown
01-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Seems jejune to point out commonalities and the common good.

The partisan rancor around here has left us with an insufficient number of truly simplistic posts.

I'm here to Make Spurstalk Insipid Again.

Winehole23
02-17-2017, 10:28 AM
:tu

Winehole23
02-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Higher tariffs represent the biggest threat to trade with the potential to cut demand for cross-border purchases. This could become more complicated, however, as customers could choose to order directly from foreign retailers such as Alibaba keeping their purchases under the $800 limit and avoiding tariffs all together. The trade impact, in this case, would fall heavier on US retailers than on foreign ones.

A second threat could come from the disruption of trade agreements and free trade zones. Today, most goods flow freely within the industrialized world. A breakdown in multilateral trade agreements begun with Brexit but potentially being followed by action by the Trump administration could result in complications with customs codes resulting in higher prices for shipping services and again a dampening of overall demand.

http://blogs.dcvelocity.com/management/2017/02/has-donald-trump-awakened-the-sleeping-logistics-giant.html

SnakeBoy
02-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Seems jejune to point out commonalities and the common good. Tribalism trumps all.

I used to think Extra Stout's morose prognostications of civil war in the US were overblown -- they seem plausible to me now.

Really? Give me a plausible scenario. Who goes to war with who?

Winehole23
02-20-2017, 02:38 AM
Liberals form gun clubs, get in their SUVs with tactical shotguns and hunt hippies, minorities and poor people. just like conservatives do. The war is already under way.

Winehole23
02-20-2017, 03:16 AM
At some point, the people with guns will realize their real enemies aren't the powerless, but other people with guns, political office or who otherwise belong to other political tribes. At that point -- which I don't believe is conceptually or culturally far away -- things will start to get really nasty.

Winehole23
02-20-2017, 03:17 AM
The US is turning inward. Outward enemies mainly serve to identify internal ones.

Winehole23
02-20-2017, 03:22 AM
The national security state is mainly about social control. Deaths by lightning strike are six times more common than terrorist deaths in the US.

Security theater is exactly that: threat inflation and crass demagogic manipulation.

Thread
02-20-2017, 05:56 AM
The national security state is mainly about social control. Deaths by lightning strike are six times more common than terrorist deaths in the US.

Security theater is exactly that: threat inflation and crass demagogic manipulation.

Since taking the oath there have been no lighting strikes nor terrorist deaths in the US.

Donald Trump

boutons_deux
02-20-2017, 06:09 AM
Liberals form gun clubs, get in their SUVs with tactical shotguns and hunt hippies, minorities and poor people. just like conservatives do. The war is already under way.

sarcasm? evidence?

Splits
02-20-2017, 06:23 AM
Since taking the oath there have been no lighting strikes nor terrorist deaths in the US.

Donald Trump

Though there was one in Canada Dear Leader won't talk about.

boutons_deux
02-20-2017, 06:51 AM
Though there was one in Canada Dear Leader won't talk about.

...white nationalist terror, white militias have been excluded from, will be ignored by the Bannon WH.

According to Bannon's Clash of Christian-Muslim Civilizations, only Muslims commit terrorism.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Larry Summers :lmao that's the fraud that let the last recession happen!

SnakeBoy
02-20-2017, 02:29 PM

At some point, the people with guns will realize their real enemies aren't the powerless, but other people with guns, political office or who otherwise belong to other political tribes. At that point -- which I don't believe is conceptually or culturally far away -- things will start to get really nasty.

It's not El Nono quality trolling but not bad

clambake
02-20-2017, 02:41 PM

It's not El Nono quality trolling but not bad

you probably need to imagine farther ahead.

cooler heads no longer prevail.

SnakeBoy
02-20-2017, 03:38 PM
you probably need to imagine farther ahead.

cooler heads no longer prevail.

Okay so give me a plausible scenario for a civil war. Who goes to war with who?

SnakeBoy
02-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Larry Summers :lmao that's the fraud that let the last recession happen!

Yeah RandomGuy trying to demonstrate his superior understanding of economics by quoting Larry Summers is rich.

clambake
02-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Okay so give me a plausible scenario for a civil war. Who goes to war with who?

it will depend on how the lines are drawn, and i don't mean on a map. these "lines" will be what separates ideology from each of the tribes. its human behavior. it will come naturally.

SnakeBoy
02-20-2017, 03:52 PM
it will depend on how the lines are drawn, and i don't mean on a map. these "lines" will be what separates ideology from each of the tribes. its human behavior. it will come naturally.

That's not a plausible scenario. It's not even an intelligible answer.

ElNono
02-20-2017, 04:03 PM
If you ask me, no 'civil war' is coming... or was coming. Barring a major leadership catastrophe, he's going to stick around his 4 years.

clambake
02-20-2017, 04:11 PM
If you ask me, no 'civil war' is coming... or was coming. Barring a major leadership catastrophe, he's going to stick around his 4 years.
of course he is. likely 8.

clambake
02-20-2017, 04:12 PM
That's not a plausible scenario. It's not even an intelligible answer.

i'm from belfast. i can assure you that its plausible.