PDA

View Full Version : 15th Spot

Chinook
01-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Hella surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

Now that the need is obvious, who should the Spurs bring in for that final spot? Unless there's a vet available, I'd go with Cory Jefferson. Dude's a former Spurs draft pick who's been solid in Austin so far. Dude's apparently averaging 16 and 8 on 50-percent shooting in 28mpg

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Cory-Jefferson/Summary/4149#D-League

He's undersized and isn't a very strong defender by the looks of it, but he seems a solid 10-day guy.

MaNu4Tres
01-20-2017, 08:18 AM
I think Spurs will hold off on any guaranteed contract til the buy out period.

I also don't think Spurs should feel rushed to fill the spot, just increase minutes to Dedmon, Lee and Bertans and they'll be fine.

Cory Jefferson has intrigued me for a good while now. If the Spurs don't like any of the buy outs or whiff on them, then I hope Spurs offer Cory a cheap/ non guaranteed 2-3 year deal.

Chinook
01-20-2017, 08:23 AM
I think Spurs will hold off on any guaranteed contract til the buy out period.

I also don't think Spurs should feel rushed to fill the spot, just increase minutes to Dedmon, Lee and Bertans and they'll be fine.

Cory Jefferson has intrigued me for a good while now. If the Spurs don't like any of the buy outs or whiff on them, then I hope Spurs offer Cory a cheap/ non guaranteed 2-3 year deal.

My thing is that the Spurs only have five bigs healthy right now, and I have to squint to see five by considering Anderson and Bertans full bigs and not combo guys. If one of the remaining guys gets hurt or in deep foul trouble, you need a minutes sponge, especially if the missing player is Dedmon or LMA.

If I were PATFO, I'd feel much more comfortable with at least a big body on the bench until I knew how Pau was going to progress. Can't afford to be caught flat-footing when you have an open spot already.

MaNu4Tres
01-20-2017, 08:24 AM
My thing is that the Spurs only have five bigs healthy right now, and I have to squint to see five by considering Anderson and Bertans full bigs and not combo guys. If one of the remaining guys gets hurt or in deep foul trouble, you need a minutes sponge, especially if the missing player is Dedmon or LMA.

If I were PATFO, I'd feel much more comfortable with at least a big body on the bench until I knew how Pau was going to progress. Can't afford to be caught flat-footing when you have an open spot already.

I can see your point, but I just don't see the need right now to fill out the spot. As I said just up the minutes to Dedmon, Lee and Bertans. If one of the three goes down with an injury then I think they make a move. But right now, I don't see the need.

Yuixafun
01-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Nice ploy by Anderson so him and Davis could get more burn. There's that vaunted BBIQ .

100%duncan
01-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Does it matter

Chinook
01-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Does it matter

Yes.

TheDoctor
01-20-2017, 10:37 AM
With Gasoft out, the Spurs are in need of a big body desperately. You don't want DLee and Bertans playing heavy minutes. DLee got some documented durability problems and Bertans can't trash his knees.

That being said, CoJe could be an interesting option to help the other guys to get some rest. He's undersized for the Center position at 6'9" (tho expect Pop to play him at the 5 a la DWorst), but he can eat some PF minutes. LMA now needs to stop bitching about playing Center.

dabom
01-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Small bump. Chinook gets some dap for owning mid in the other threads. :lol

bklynspursfan
01-20-2017, 11:21 AM
I can see your point, but I just don't see the need right now to fill out the spot. As I said just up the minutes to Dedmon, Lee and Bertans. If one of the three goes down with an injury then I think they make a move. But right now, I don't see the need.

Agreed. It'll just be a rotation of those 4 guys (LMA, Dedmon, Lee, and Bertans) I don't see them rushing anything either. They have rolled with 14 guys before

Chinook
01-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Agreed. It'll just be a rotation of those 4 guys (LMA, Dedmon, Lee, and Bertans) I don't see them rushing anything either. They have rolled with 14 guys before

Counting out Pau, it's 13. And I don't consider a 10-day rushing anything. It's not like they're trading Mills and Anderson for Noel or something like that.

Spur|n|Austin
01-20-2017, 11:24 AM
With Gasoft out, the Spurs are in need of a big body desperately. You don't want DLee and Bertans playing heavy minutes. DLee got some documented durability problems and Bertans can't trash his knees.

That being said, CoJe could be an interesting option to help the other guys to get some rest. He's undersized for the Center position at 6'9" (tho expect Pop to play him at the 5 a la DWorst), but he can eat some PF minutes. LMA now needs to stop bitching about playing Center.

Why does this keep getting mentioned? When has he ever actually bitched about it, or even said a word about it? There was wind of him not being comfortable with playing the position, but that was during his free agency and never an actual sound bite or quote :lol

Chinook
01-20-2017, 11:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHFaI5BqnUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Q0WW3AhpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs7Pir1-AKg

Dude seems like a beast.

jyra
01-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Jefferson is about the same size as JaMychal Green, both are listed at 6' 9" shoes on DX. But his wingspan is not quite as large Green's, only 7' 0.5" vs 7' 2.25".
He also shoots almost 40% from 3 on 2 attempts per game.

DAF86
01-20-2017, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't sign a big just for the hell of it. I would try with a wing (which is our biggest need when everybody is healthy) and see if he can stick around 'till the end and maybe contribute in the playoffs.

mo7888
01-20-2017, 12:06 PM
I would like CoJe on a couple of 10 day contracts for some short term relief. If we wanted something more permanent I'd like to approach Chicago and see what the price for Portis would be. A small deal like KA plus future considerations (maybe a couple international prospect and a 2nd or a future 1st)

Chinook
01-20-2017, 12:07 PM
I really like Portis, so I'd consider trading for him. And Valentine and Anderson on the team team would be fascinating.

r0drig0lac
01-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Nice ploy by Anderson so him and Davis could get more burn. There's that vaunted BBIQ .

this...smart guy

GSH
01-20-2017, 12:35 PM
I was wondering last night if they would pick up a big body, just to have some insurance with Pau being down for a while. That and just to have a fill-in to give other guys a breather. I thought maybe something low-impact like Keith Benson on a 10-day. (They are able to offer 10-days to D-Leaguers now, aren't they?) Cory Jefferson has been having one hell of a year in Austin. But he's 6'9", at best. And I have a feeling that his great year might not survive the transition to the NBA.

Other than those two, I don't see much that wouldn't involve giving up assets. That sort of smacks of desperation, so unless the Spurs somehow find another team making an uncommonly good deal, it's hard to imagine them doing that. But I also know how ridiculous it is to try and predict what the FO might do most of the time.

There's a kid named Christian Wood that I would love to see get a shot. He's a good kid, and he's tall, but he's not ready to go this season. I do wish he was in the Spurs system instead of LJC. And he's a guy like Simmons that you just really want to see make good.

Chinook
01-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Isn't Christian Wood that guy from UNLV that got kicked off the team or something? I remember being shocked that he went from lottery pick to undrafted, just like both Holmeses a couple of seasons ago.

GSH
01-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Isn't Christian Wood that guy from UNLV that got kicked off the team or something? I remember being shocked that he went from lottery pick to undrafted, just like both Holmeses a couple of seasons ago.

I don't think he got kicked off any team. I'm not aware of anything like that. He said that he would come back for his junior year, and then changed his mind and declared for the draft. That pissed off a lot of UNLV fans, but I never heard about him being in that kind of trouble.

He was a little full of himself, and the rumors (whoever "they" are) said that there were doubts about his work ethic. But it was still pretty surprising that he didn't even get drafted. Probably the best thing that could have happened to him, because to his credit he figured out that it was going to be a lot harder to make it in the NBA than it was in college. Had he stayed at UNLV another year, I have no doubt that he would have gotten drafted - likely even somewhere in the first round. I still think he's a guy who could really improve inside the Spurs' system, and be good enough to play. If he had been on the team through SL and D-League, he might get pulled up while Gasol is out. But he wasn't, so it's really just trivial pursuit.

He is tall, though. :lol

sasaint
01-20-2017, 01:18 PM
I don't think he got kicked off any team. I'm not aware of anything like that. He said that he would come back for his junior year, and then changed his mind and declared for the draft. That pissed off a lot of UNLV fans, but I never heard about him being in that kind of trouble.

He was a little full of himself, and the rumors (whoever "they" are) said that there were doubts about his work ethic. But it was still pretty surprising that he didn't even get drafted. Probably the best thing that could have happened to him, because to his credit he figured out that it was going to be a lot harder to make it in the NBA than it was in college. Had he stayed at UNLV another year, I have no doubt that he would have gotten drafted - likely even somewhere in the first round. I still think he's a guy who could really improve inside the Spurs' system, and be good enough to play. If he had been on the team through SL and D-League, he might get pulled up while Gasol is out. But he wasn't, so it's really just trivial pursuit.

He is tall, though. :lol

Wasn't there a guy from Washington with a similar name that got booted from his team and then went undrafted after being a first-round prospect?

Spursfanfromafar
01-20-2017, 01:22 PM
If they can trade for Richaun Holmes it would be a good fit

Chinook
01-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Wasn't there a guy from Washington with a similar name that got booted from his team and then went undrafted after being a first-round prospect?

Yeah, that Upshaw guy I think. That's who I was thinking of. The Lakers had him and then cut him, but a number of folks wanted Pop to get him before everything blew up.

TheGreatYacht
01-20-2017, 01:34 PM
If they can trade for Richaun Holmes it would be a good fit
This.

He has tons of potential and shines when given minutes. Unlike Kyle. Package phathead and a 2nd round pick to get him

NASpurs
01-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Is there any way the Spurs can get Nurkic? :lol (didn't know where to stick this in)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18517969/denver-nuggets-trying-trade-center-jusuf-nurkic

Nuggets trying to trade center Jusuf Nurkic

The Denver Nuggets are working to find a new home for center Jusuf Nurkic in advance of next month's NBA trade deadline, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN that the Nuggets -- having acknowledged that it's difficult to accommodate both Nurkic and Nikola Jokic in the same frontcourt -- have made Nurkic available and are searching out deals that would give him the Bosnian big man an opportunity to go elsewhere and start anew.

Nurkic, 22, is a 7-footer in his third season with Denver. He was selected 16th overall in the 2014 draft by Chicago and acquired on draft night by the Nuggets, who are widely expected to be among the more active teams trade-wise over the next month-plus.

The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 23 this season.

Nurkic is averaging 8.6 points and 6.2 rebounds in 18.7 minutes per game this season. Jokic, 21, is averaging 14.8 points and 8.3 rebounds in 25.6 minutes.

GSH
01-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Is there any way the Spurs can get Nurkic? :lol (didn't know where to stick this in)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18517969/denver-nuggets-trying-trade-center-jusuf-nurkic

Nuggets trying to trade center Jusuf Nurkic

The Denver Nuggets are working to find a new home for center Jusuf Nurkic in advance of next month's NBA trade deadline, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN that the Nuggets -- having acknowledged that it's difficult to accommodate both Nurkic and Nikola Jokic in the same frontcourt -- have made Nurkic available and are searching out deals that would give him the Bosnian big man an opportunity to go elsewhere and start anew.

Nurkic, 22, is a 7-footer in his third season with Denver. He was selected 16th overall in the 2014 draft by Chicago and acquired on draft night by the Nuggets, who are widely expected to be among the more active teams trade-wise over the next month-plus.

The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 23 this season.

Nurkic is averaging 8.6 points and 6.2 rebounds in 18.7 minutes per game this season. Jokic, 21, is averaging 14.8 points and 8.3 rebounds in 25.6 minutes.

I hadn't seen that. I don't know what it would take, but he's still on a rookie scale contract, so probably a mortgage on the future. But I'd love to have him on the roster right about now. That's one of the more valid proposals to come up lately. :toast

With Pau, Dedmon, and Nurkic the Spurs would have the big man bases covered.

bklynspursfan
01-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Counting out Pau, it's 13. And I don't consider a 10-day rushing anything. It's not like they're trading Mills and Anderson for Noel or something like that.

I could see a 10 day thing, sure. But I don't see them making any permanent moves just yet. I mean they've got 4 bigs so they aren't in terrible shape.

Chinook
01-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Just gotta hope GS doesn't get him.

Chinook
01-20-2017, 01:41 PM
I could see a 10 day thing, sure. But I don't see them making any permanent moves just yet. I mean they've got 4 bigs so they aren't in terrible shape.

But what if one goes down? Depending on the team, they might not be able to survive playing small.

SAGirl
01-20-2017, 01:42 PM
He's had issues. He didn't stick in Philly or anywhere else. He was tremendous over summer league. He's still very young, athletic, long, can shoot.... I never knew what happened to him since I don't really bother following other teams other than tangentially...

I doubt Spurs pick up a project player at this point. They already have youngsters they have trouble finding playing time for and they like these guys (and released Nico to prioritize their guys). I have like Jefferson too but they already have 2 guys of similar build in Davis and Kyle. What they really need is a bulkier body like Joel Anthony for whenever those guys are getting bullied (and as Doctor said above to spare their bodies and Lamarcus and Lee). In reality the team has only one center. I would not be surprised if Lees durability issues in the past couple of seasons weren't related to having to play center himself for example and we take for granted that Davis won't have issues with his knee (I hope he doesn't but I wouldn't tempt fate).

Again I think they wait to pick up a veteran. I don't know who is out there other than Joel Anthony though (and Spurs were very close to signing him if it wasn't for them prioritizing the guards).

bklynspursfan
01-20-2017, 01:50 PM
But what if one goes down? Depending on the team, they might not be able to survive playing small.

I think that will push them to sign someone on a 10 day much quicker tbh.But I mean when Kawhi went out a couple years ago, we had nobody. They just rolled with what they had. And we were terrible lol.

Chinook
01-20-2017, 01:52 PM
I think that will push them to sign someone on a 10 day much quicker tbh.But I mean when Kawhi went out a couple years ago, we had nobody. They just rolled with what they had. And we were terrible lol.

I mean like Pau did, when there wasn't enough time to react to it.

And the Spurs signed people like Shannon Brown when Kawhi, Manu and Danny all went down at the time same time. Sure, it wasn't a remotely good move. But it was a move.

GSH
01-20-2017, 01:58 PM
He's had issues. He didn't stick in Philly or anywhere else. He was tremendous over summer league. He's still very young, athletic, long, can shoot.... I never knew what happened to him since I don't really bother following other teams other than tangentially...

I doubt Spurs pick up a project player at this point. They already have youngsters they have trouble finding playing time for and they like these guys (and released Nico to prioritize their guys). I have like Jefferson too but they already have 2 guys of similar build in Davis and Kyle. What they really need is a bulkier body like Joel Anthony for whenever those guys are getting bullied (and as Doctor said above to spare their bodies and Lamarcus and Lee). In reality the team has only one center. I would not be surprised if Lees durability issues in the past couple of seasons weren't related to having to play center himself for example and we take for granted that Davis won't have issues with his knee (I hope he doesn't but I wouldn't tempt fate).

Again I think they wait to pick up a veteran. I don't know who is out there other than Joel Anthony though (and Spurs were very close to signing him if it wasn't for them prioritizing the guards).

Yeah, I'd just like to see Christian Wood get into the Spurs' system. But he's not an issue for this year. The Nurkic thing, though, is really tasty. Hard to see the Nuggets sending him here, of all places, but I'd love to see the Spurs try.

Keith Benson would be low-impact, low-commitment. He's been around, and has international experience, so he's not an inexperienced D-League rookie. He's a big enough body, and he's had a pretty good year in the D-League. I think he would be enough to fill in and keep some of the other guys from getting too worn out. (They aren't used to playing long minutes.) I could see them looking at him on a 10-day, but not much more than that.

Lee has been great with Dedmon. Lee playing C, especially against other full-size C's, is asking for trouble. I never thought about his injuries being related to that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth to it.

Kawhitstorm
01-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Jefferson is about the same size as JaMychal Green, both are listed at 6' 9" shoes on DX. But his wingspan is not quite as large Green's, only 7' 0.5" vs 7' 2.25".
He also shoots almost 40% from 3 on 2 attempts per game.

Yeah, he's similar to JaMychal except not quite as strong & has a shorter wingspan which affects his rebounding/rim protection.

The D-League Showcase is underway so RC probably has the scouts working overtime for a 10-day guy. Cory probably has first dibs if PATFO are looking for a mobile 4 who can hit open shots since Bertans can't guard anyone in the post & Kyle can't shoot.:lol

TheDoctor
01-20-2017, 02:22 PM
This.

He has tons of potential and shines when given minutes. Unlike Kyle. Package phathead and a 2nd round pick to get him

If that was hard and complicated to do before last night given his suckiness, now add his "hurting teammates" reputation, no team will want it tbh. Not even Bud.

TD 21
01-20-2017, 04:57 PM
They already had a need for a depth big and with a spot open, it makes sense, especially considering this is a team that prioritizes rest more than any other and plays the second most garbage time in the league.

I wouldn't be opposed to Jefferson and he's probably the odds on favorite for obvious reasons, but center or at least a power forward that can credible play it, is more of a need, as opposed to another string bean power forward.

TheGreatYacht
01-20-2017, 08:52 PM
If that was hard and complicated to do before last night given his suckiness, now add his "hurting teammates" reputation, no team will want it tbh. Not even Bud.
Who would win in a headbutting contest, him or Zaza

TheDoctor
01-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Who would win in a headbutting contest, him or Zaza

Kyle NO DOUBT. Zaza's a douche and punk wanna be but he aint got no Fathead:lol

spurtech09
01-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Corey Jefferson looks pretty solid.....

maverick1948
01-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Outside chance that the Spurs bring Matty Bonner out of retirement? He does know the system. And still can shoot 3's

GSH
01-21-2017, 12:05 AM
Outside chance that the Spurs bring Matty Bonner out of retirement? He does know the system. And still can shoot 3's

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/022012/1342637635_political_speech_bitchslap.gif

Spurtacular
01-21-2017, 01:01 AM
CJ > Fathead

TheGreatYacht
01-21-2017, 01:28 AM
Kyle NO DOUBT. Zaza's a douche and punk wanna be but he aint got no Fathead:lol
True but his forehead looks like it went 15 rounds with GGG :lol

Cklbmk
01-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Yeah, that Upshaw guy I think. That's who I was thinking of. The Lakers had him and then cut him, but a number of folks wanted Pop to get him before everything blew up.

Don't see Spurs taking a guy with major drug problems.

Maddog
01-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I'd just like to see Christian Wood get into the Spurs' system. But he's not an issue for this year. The Nurkic thing, though, is really tasty. Hard to see the Nuggets sending him here, of all places, but I'd love to see the Spurs try.

Keith Benson would be low-impact, low-commitment. He's been around, and has international experience, so he's not an inexperienced D-League rookie. He's a big enough body, and he's had a pretty good year in the D-League. I think he would be enough to fill in and keep some of the other guys from getting too worn out. (They aren't used to playing long minutes.) I could see them looking at him on a 10-day, but not much more than that.

Lee has been great with Dedmon. Lee playing C, especially against other full-size C's, is asking for trouble. I never thought about his injuries being related to that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth to it.

Wood is under contract with the hornets

GSH
01-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Wood is under contract with the hornets

You're right. I swear I read that they had waived him, and that he was playing on the D-League team but not one of their four affiliate players. Well good for him getting some money in the bank.

Maddog
01-21-2017, 01:02 PM
You're right. I swear I read that they had waived him, and that he was playing on the D-League team but not one of their four affiliate players. Well good for him getting some money in the bank.

Thought the same, but looked it up, but looks like they are least committed to developing him (got two years)
Upshaw is working on the Ryan Richards career path. Estonian league then Lebanese league.
I should add Richards never had a drug problem like Upshaw.

Maddog
01-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Per McDonald twitter Spurs are looking for front court help.

Ron Swanson
01-21-2017, 01:05 PM
http://gazettereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/tim-duncan.jpg

GSH
01-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Thought the same, but looked it up, but looks like they are least committed to developing him (got two years)
Upshaw is working on the Ryan Richards career path. Estonian league then Lebanese league.
I should add Richards never had a drug problem like Upshaw.

There are guys who outgrow drug problems. I would be cautious, but I wouldn't rule anyone out for a past like that. Young people do some stupid stuff. Sometimes a guy who knows how lucky he is to get a second chance will work his ass off to earn it. Upshaw was one of those guys who talked like he had learned his lesson, but didn't change. That's the worst kind, IMO.

SpursIndonesia
01-21-2017, 01:51 PM
I hadn't seen that. I don't know what it would take, but he's still on a rookie scale contract, so probably a mortgage on the future. But I'd love to have him on the roster right about now. That's one of the more valid proposals to come up lately. :toast

With Pau, Dedmon, and Nurkic the Spurs would have the big man bases covered.

Getting Nurkic will render the risk of losing Dedmon in free agency much less painful.

look_at_g_shred
07-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Hella surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

Now that the need is obvious, who should the Spurs bring in for that final spot? Unless there's a vet available, I'd go with Cory Jefferson. Dude's a former Spurs draft pick who's been solid in Austin so far. Dude's apparently averaging 16 and 8 on 50-percent shooting in 28mpg

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Cory-Jefferson/Summary/4149#D-League

He's undersized and isn't a very strong defender by the looks of it, but he seems a solid 10-day guy.
I'd take a flyer on him over JL.