PDA

View Full Version : Lebron on why Pop is GOAT

Spur|n|Austin
01-20-2017, 12:52 PM
"He's the greatest coach of all time. I've said that over and over and over. You've got to be to do what he's done in the era of basketball when it's changed so much and he's been able to have a growth mindset and be able to change with the game. He's continued to build around Timmy [Duncan] and Manu [Ginobili] and Tony [Parker] and bring pieces in and out throughout his whole tenure.

"It went from a league where it was like, inside/outside. Like every time you bring the ball down, throw it to the big. Then it goes to every time down, pick-and-roll. Then it goes to every time down, shoot a three. Pop has been able to adjust every single time and still somehow keep those guys under the radar. I don't understand that."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2017/01/20/lebrons-argument-for-why-gregg-popovich-is-the-greatest-nba-coach-ever-is-a-good-one/96831036/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomsports-topstories

BatManu20
01-20-2017, 12:56 PM
GOATs respecting GOATs tbh.

GSH
01-20-2017, 01:12 PM
See, that's why that podcast about LeBron supposedly getting upset about Kawhi getting too much attention didn't play with me. LeBron has been pretty good about recognizing other players' and coaches' abilities. I'm not saying he isn't full of himself, but he's not usually one to talk down another player without some reason. I still think he probably made some off-handed comment, and that podcast jackass spun it for attention.

Chinook
01-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Yet when he mentioned the players Pop has built around, there's no Kawhi in there. :stirpot:

apalisoc_9
01-20-2017, 01:21 PM
I don't think anything Lebron said is particularly false, but i'm still pissed at the fact that he gets way too much credit for Duncan three championship rings.

It's all the cliche narrative now. Which is unfortunate. Great for Pop's brand but otherwise undervalues the players greatly.

GSH
01-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Yet when he mentioned the players Pop has built around, there's no Kawhi in there. :stirpot:

:lol Et tu, Chinook?

DisAsTerBot
01-20-2017, 01:25 PM
I don't think anything Lebron said is particularly false, but i'm still pissed at the fact that he gets way too much credit for Duncan three championship rings.

It's all the cliche narrative now. Which is unfortunate. Great for Pop's brand but otherwise undervalues the players greatly.

Nobody gives a shit what you're pissed about

TheGreatYacht
01-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Of course he didn't. Then he would've had to name all the other role players (Splitter, Paddy, Diaw, etc)

Cry Havoc
01-20-2017, 01:26 PM

GSH
01-20-2017, 01:35 PM

So what are the odds of me coming to your defense? :lol

Pop is a great coach, but with Tim, Tony, and Manu plus great role players like Robert Horry, Mario Elie, Steve Kerr... hell David Robinson? He definitely got a lot of help. I don't think he would have had the same level of success coaching in New Orleans. He always gives players credit, but it does feel a little like false modesty to me at times.

TBH, you used to have a half dozen threads on the front page every damn day. But you quit doing that shit. I'm not one to disregard a valid comment because of some other comment I didn't like.

bklynspursfan
01-20-2017, 01:43 PM
But i thought he was the worst coach ever these days?

lefty
01-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Micromanaging player/coach/GM recognizing Micromanaging coach

Seventyniner
01-20-2017, 01:57 PM
But i thought he was the worst coach ever these days?

He's the 10th best ever. But the top 9 all post on this board.

apalisoc_9
01-20-2017, 02:55 PM
So what are the odds of me coming to your defense? :lol

Pop is a great coach, but with Tim, Tony, and Manu plus great role players like Robert Horry, Mario Elie, Steve Kerr... hell David Robinson? He definitely got a lot of help. I don't think he would have had the same level of success coaching in New Orleans. He always gives players credit, but it does feel a little like false modesty to me at times.

TBH, you used to have a half dozen threads on the front page every damn day. But you quit doing that shit. I'm not one to disregard a valid comment because of some other comment I didn't like.

It is fake modesty.

Pop wants everything to be about him.

DMC
01-20-2017, 04:38 PM

What you should be pissed about is that you came all the way over here in the hull of that freighter thinking Obama was going to raise you and you get here and there's a wall of separation being erected between the 3rd world and the real world. You'd been Trumped.

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Pop is the greatest, I agree with LeBron, but this is classic LeBron subtle shots, tbh:lol

The true meaning of his comment:

1. Fuck Phil Jackson
2. Fuck Pat Riley

TD 21
01-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Pop is the greatest, I agree with LeBron, but this is classic LeBron subtle shots, tbh:lol

1. Fuck Phil Jackson
2. Fuck Pat Riley

That and his best players weren't as good as theirs were, which is really the crux of all the Pop praise in general.

apalisoc_9
01-20-2017, 05:39 PM
That and his best players weren't as good as theirs were, which is really the crux of all the Pop praise in general.

Canyonero
01-20-2017, 05:44 PM
LeBron opting out next year to join Spurs tbh

BillMc
01-20-2017, 05:45 PM

1. Fuck Phil Jackson
2. Fuck Pat Riley

Yep

phxspurfan
01-20-2017, 07:51 PM

FaM0us Skins
01-20-2017, 07:58 PM

I heard he's joining the Sixers next season. He wants to be apart of "The Process"

UZER
01-20-2017, 08:15 PM
:lol Another shot at Kawhi, "pieces"

TheGreatYacht
01-20-2017, 08:45 PM
:lol Another shot at Kawhi, "pieces"
Im sure he didn't even have him in mind. He only spoke about future HOF's

UZER
01-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Im sure he didn't even have him in mind. He only spoke about future HOF's

LeBron is very very calculated with everything he says. He didn't dis Kawhi obviously, but he purposely didn't mention him either.

NameLess Scrub
01-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Also, If he praises Pop he's got another excuse for how he has been basically owned by the Spurs throughout the years. He can blame it on his coaches being outcoached :wakeup

TimDunkem
01-21-2017, 09:48 AM
People say this is about Phil and Riley but this isn't the first time LeBron has called him the greatest.

bigfan
01-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Pop is the best coach ever and LeBron is in the top 5 greatest players in my book. A nice compliment by LeBron.

elemento
01-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Of course he loves him. Gave him a ring in 13 and simply saved his legacy.

freemeat
01-21-2017, 03:10 PM
I'm reading the article on how Lebron says Pop coaching is a big factor in making his decision to play for USA BBall.

Why isn't the headline that Lebron thinks of Pop as Michael Corleone? It's in the same interview. That's pretty badass.

wildcardX
01-21-2017, 04:03 PM
http://www.hotel-r.net/im/hotel/ch/posse-23.png

Lebron respects Pop because he never mentioned Lebrons friendship with Mario Van Peebles or that his only white friend is Stephen Baldwin.

NameLess Scrub
01-23-2017, 05:33 AM

:lol:lol

pgardn
01-23-2017, 08:46 AM

Thats to come hopefully. 4 championships later.

cutewizard
01-23-2017, 09:26 AM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/1/22/14351286/spurs-playbook-defense-edition-impact-relentless-effort

cutewizard
01-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Hope he plays Bertans more in the coming games......

GSH
01-24-2017, 09:31 AM
This thread has about run its course. But I thought it would be a good place to put this little gem of an interview. It's essentially "Lebron on why Lebron is GOAT". And when you're GOAT, you're always responsible for wins, but never responsible for losses. Because you're GOAT. How do you think Pop would react to a player making public comments about personnel and minutes decisions like this? Then again, can you even imagine Tim Duncan demanding that the Spurs make a mid-season acquisition, because he was getting older and didn't "have any time to waste"? Even if what Lebron says is true, airing it out publicly like this? And what if he gets his "playmaker" and they still lose?

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/01/24/morning-shootaround-jan-24-2017

"It's like when you don't have bodies. It's tough," James said. "The f---ing grind of the regular season. We're a top-heavy team. We have a top-heavy team. We top-heavy as s---. It's me, [Kyrie Irving], [Kevin Love]. It's top-heavy."
"We need a f---ing playmaker," James said. "I'm not saying you can just go find one, like you can go outside and see trees. I didn't say that."
"They've got bodies," James said of San Antonio when asked about the Spurs' beating the Cavs without*Pau Gasol*or*Tony Parker. "They've got bodies. For the most part, all championship-contending teams has got guys that are ready to step in. Knock on wood, what if Ky goes down? For two weeks. Let's say two. What if I went down for three weeks?"

"I don't know what we got to offer," James said. "I just know me, personally? I don't got no time to waste. I'll be 33 in the winter, and I ain't got time to waste. That's what I'm talking about.

TampaDude
01-24-2017, 02:46 PM

Then sent him packing back to Cleveland the following year, so he could bring a championship to his hometown.

GSH
01-25-2017, 09:15 PM
So what would it take to make the Cav's GM happy?

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/01/25/blogtable-what-kind-playmaker-do-cavs-need-lebron-james

John Schuhmann:*The only way to get Anthony or Wade is by trading one of the other two stars or by sacrificing depth, so that's not happening. The Cavs need a back-up point guard and miss Matthew Dellavedova, who*didn't play much in the last three games of The Finals last year, but was really important in the regular season. The lack of depth isn't all David Griffin's fault, because coach Ty Lue hasn't exactly developed the Cavs' bench, using a short (nine-man) rotation for most*of the season. One of the reasons the Spurs continue to*have the best bench in the league despite a lot of roster*turnover is that Gregg Popovich gives young guys opportunities to play

Fran Blinebury:*Magic Johnson, John Stockton, Bob Cousy? LeBron gets offended when people say he's the de facto GM of the Cavs. Yet here he is whining again about David Griffin not doing the job to his satisfaction. So how can we say this gently: Shut up and play.

DMC
01-25-2017, 10:08 PM
Also, If he praises Pop he's got another excuse for how he has been basically owned by the Spurs throughout the years. He can blame it on his coaches being outcoached :wakeup

He kind of made an excuse or at least accepted one that they weren't prepared to play against the Pelicans without Davis, as if it's somehow a disadvantage for you if your opponent has their best player sidelined.

skulls138
01-25-2017, 11:24 PM
I smell BS with Lebron sucking up to Pop. Its like hes saying, "if only I had a coach like you Id win, 'not four, not five, not six....'". I swear to God hes a genius at making excuses....having a fall back if it dont work out. :lol

Everytime I forgive and forget about Lebron he opens his mouth again.

skulls138
01-25-2017, 11:34 PM
Lebron is overrated. I swear I was watching the game and its like a broken record, when it gets to be nervous time, Lebron chucks. Its been like that since hes come into the league. He cant handle it when someone does not let him dominate. He doesnt want a fight or grind at all.

NameLess Scrub
01-26-2017, 07:23 AM
He kind of made an excuse or at least accepted one that they weren't prepared to play against the Pelicans without Davis, as if it's somehow a disadvantage for you if your opponent has their best player sidelined.

I smell BS with Lebron sucking up to Pop. Its like hes saying, "if only I had a coach like you Id win, 'not four, not five, not six....'". I swear to God hes a genius at making excuses....having a fall back if it dont work out. :lol

Everytime I forgive and forget about Lebron he opens his mouth again.

I suspect that's part of the game for him. Knowing how to set up excuses and cover as much bases as he can to benefit himself when the narrative is established, win or lose. Part of the result of the scrutiny; but the scrutiny is the result of the hype.

DMC
01-26-2017, 10:50 AM
I suspect that's part of the game for him. Knowing how to set up excuses and cover as much bases as he can to benefit himself when the narrative is established, win or lose. Part of the result of the scrutiny; but the scrutiny is the result of the hype.

It's a dangerous game. Legends never make excuses for losing unless they want their epitaph to read "coward". You win or you don't, it's largely up to him. Most GOAT level players would never stoop to make an excuse for losing. Fortunate for him he's at least turning much of his ire inward.