PDA

View Full Version : How is it that Kawhi is the first Spur since Gervin....

01-20-2017, 09:36 PM
To have five straight 30 point games? I can understand Duncan, he was never that prolific of a scorer(no disrespect ofc)...But D Rob averaged 30 ppg basically one season.

Anybody who was SF at the time want to offer some insight? Was he just not that consistent?

sananspursfan21
01-20-2017, 09:43 PM
maybe his stats looked something like this: 40, 42, 38, 32, 29, 34, 31, 45, 33, 29, 32, 31, 32, 30, 29, 40, 34, 36, 30, 29 etc... :D

Nathan89
01-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Duncan could score 30pts in 5 games in this era tbh

sananspursfan21
01-20-2017, 09:46 PM
On a serious note, he avg'd 30.7 in '94 so it's odd that he didn't have a streak of 5 games...

Correction: 29.8

01-20-2017, 10:18 PM
:lol

01-20-2017, 10:19 PM
maybe his stats looked something like this: 40, 42, 38, 32, 29, 34, 31, 45, 33, 29, 32, 31, 32, 30, 29, 40, 34, 36, 30, 29 etc... :Di went and looked at his 29 ppg season and that's pretty much what happened. A couple times he would've had 5-6 in a row and he would have a 29 point night.

apalisoc_9
01-20-2017, 10:20 PM
To have five straight 30 point games? I can understand Duncan, he was never that prolific of a scorer(no disrespect ofc)...But D Rob averaged 30 ppg basically one season.

Anybody who was SF at the time want to offer some insight? Was he just not that consistent?

Well Duncan despite the significant amount of usage rate wasn't the scorer that kawhi is now. I don't think it's close, but peak Duncan was a better overall offensive player although Leonard is leaning closer and closer.

D-Rob would drop 40 and and then 25 the next game. It was much more difficult for him to achive that feat since he was a face up big in the hand checking era.

I dont have footage of gervin.

Hoops Czar
01-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Well Duncan despite the significant amount of usage rate wasn't the scorer that kawhi is now. I don't think it's close, but peak Duncan was a better overall offensive player although Leonard is leaning closer and closer.

D-Rob would drop 40 and and then 25 the next game. It was much more difficult for him to achive that feat since he was a face up big in the hand checking era.

I dont have footage of gervin.

I thought for sure you'd say because Tony Parker was freezing him out.

apalisoc_9
01-20-2017, 10:41 PM
When it's all said and done, Leonard might retire with a strong case as the best offensive spur ever. Crazy how that's even possible. Still Remeber his first basketball possession. Gets pick picketed by Rudy Gay :lol

Spurtacular
01-20-2017, 10:42 PM

Spurtacular
01-20-2017, 10:43 PM
When it's all said and done, Leonard might retire with a strong case as the best offensive spur ever. Crazy how that's even possible. Still Remeber his first basketball possession. Gets pick picketed by Rudy Gay :lol

His sign said you're a faggot :lmao

sananspursfan21
01-20-2017, 11:19 PM
i went and looked at his 29 ppg season and that's pretty much what happened. A couple times he would've had 5-6 in a row and he would have a 29 point night.

Haha really? Totally just joking but that would explain it

dbreiden83080
01-20-2017, 11:53 PM
Uh Duncan could have averaged 30 a game for like 10 straight seasons if he wanted to. He was the ultimate team player which is why he has five rings. In 2003 Duncan was so unstoppable it was fucking insane.

apalisoc_9
01-21-2017, 12:00 AM
Uh Duncan could have averaged 30 a game for like 10 straight seasons if he wanted to. He was the ultimate team player which is why he has five rings. In 2003 Duncan was so unstoppable it was fucking insane.

Duncan had the usage rate and pissession number of a player that should naturally average 30 if he was a mega offensive player. But he wasn'nt able to. No need to make silly if claims without factual data.

There is no shame being a great 25ppg peak scorer. Duncan impacted games in various other ways. Still a top 5 player of all time.

100%duncan
01-21-2017, 12:14 AM
Duncan had the usage rate and pissession number of a player that should naturally average 30 if he was a mega offensive player. But he wasn'nt able to. No need to make silly if claims without factual data.

There is no shame being a great 25ppg peak scorer. Duncan impacted games in various other ways. Still a top 5 player of all time.

1. Free throw shooting
2. Prettt much a one man team offensive wise on his best years imho (2002-2005 pre manu superstardom)

MI21
01-21-2017, 12:18 AM
To be fair to Timmy, the majority of his prime he was regularly double teamed.

apalisoc_9
01-21-2017, 12:24 AM
To be fair to Timmy, the majority of his prime he was regularly double teamed.

And he played at a pace and structure that forced him to create baskets for himself. Teams use to still play with two bigs, it was trickier to run the pick and roll game and Parker was 19-23 during TD's prime.

Which again goes back to Pop being an ass for recently insinuiting he "built" an offense for Duncan's career. Such BS.

But It's fair to say Duncan wasn't a 30ppg scorer, his FTs was just way too suspect.

Nathan89
01-21-2017, 12:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BgAzjfo.png

http://i.imgur.com/Nn6rDzI.png

http://imgur.com/a/dyIpo

If the offense that Duncan was being utilized wasn't strictly postups then he could score significantly more. He was averaging 15pts at 37yo doing easy stuff. It's fucking idiotic to think prime Duncan couldn't score damn near 30pts in this league.

apalisoc_9
01-21-2017, 12:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BgAzjfo.png

http://i.imgur.com/Nn6rDzI.png

http://imgur.com/a/dyIpo

If the offense that Duncan was being utilized wasn't strictly postups then he could score significantly more. He was averaging 15pts at 37yo doing easy stuff. It's fucking idiotic to think prime Duncan couldn't score damn near 30pts in this league.

Its not easy for bigs to average 30. It's extremely difficult for them to achive that feat because of the lack of three pointing and Duncans case inability to shoot FT at 85%.

It's not a knack on Duncan. Wings and Perimter players, are just different.

Nathan89
01-21-2017, 12:43 AM
Its not easy for bigs to average 30. It's extremely difficult for them to achive that feat because of the lack of three pointing and Duncans case inability to shoot FT at 85%.

30 is too high for an average unless he really just wanted to do that. He could definitely could score 30 more frequently though which what this thread is all about. Old man Duncan with minimal movement was working the bigs in this league. Prime Duncan would just torch them.

Das Texan
01-21-2017, 12:50 AM

Prime Robinson probably puts up 35 ppg. Especially with Lucas coaching.

GSH
01-21-2017, 12:55 AM
And he played at a pace and structure that forced him to create baskets for himself. Teams use to still play with two bigs, it was trickier to run the pick and roll game and Parker was 19-23 during TD's prime.

Which again goes back to Pop being an ass for recently insinuiting he "built" an offense for Duncan's career. Such BS.

But It's fair to say Duncan wasn't a 30ppg scorer, his FTs was just way too suspect.

Sorry... no sale. The first thing you have to understand is that Usage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays that a player "uses". It isn't pace adjusted. Tim played on the slowest-paced team in the league, year after year. (Maybe the slowest paced team in history for that long of a stretch - I just don't feel like looking it up.) So for him to have a career 27% usage rate is still a LOT fewer possessions than someone who played on a team with a much higher pace. Fewer total possessions = fewer chances to score = fewer PPG. The same slow pace that helped hold opponents to 90 PPG also held down the Spurs own scoring.

But let's ignore that: Steph Curry's career usage rate is almost identical to Tim's. Steph has averaged 22.6 PPG.

How about Vince Carter - slightly higher career usage rate than Tim, and definitely a high-octane offensive player. Carter averaged 18.5 PPG.

Okay - maybe T-Mac. I mean, Holy Shit, they just don't get much more offensive-minded than T-Mac, AND he had a much higher career usage rate than Duncan. He averaged 19.6 PPG, and only averaged over 30 PPG for one season out of his whole career.

Kobe Fucking Bryant - the king of dominating possessions. Much higher career usage rate than Duncan. He averaged 25 PPG. To his credit, he did manage to average 30 or more three seasons in his career. (One season it was exactly 30.0.)

I don't know if Tim would average 30 in today's NBA. But with the current state of defense, they wouldn't be able to defend him like they did back then, and he would score a hell of a lot more than he did. Tim also played at a time when the league had a LOT of skilled big men. Like, seriously big men. There just aren't as many today who could even pretend to guard him at his prime.

[Edit: This is where you finally just say... "Okay, maybe you're right this time", and give it a rest.]

dbreiden83080
01-21-2017, 12:56 AM

Well if you wanted to jack up nothing but fucking garbage like Allen Iversen 30 game would be no problem. Thank God for him and the fans he wanted to win rings.

dbreiden83080
01-21-2017, 12:57 AM

You do know that wilt averaged over 50 a game and his free throws were complete shit.

Tim for his career is basically 70%.

TheGreatYacht
01-21-2017, 01:26 AM
If Cousins can average 26-28 in :lol today's NBA, so can Duncan

MI21
01-21-2017, 01:27 AM
Yeah, the FT% argument in PPG always makes me laugh.

TD shot 70% FT for his career. Say he shot an unreal 85% for his career, he would have scored an extra 1301 points. He played 1392 games, so it's around a whopping 1PPG.

daledondale
01-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Faggy Stat /thread

Blake
01-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Didn't read thread.

First Spur since Mike Mitchell not Gervin fwiwwgaf

r0drig0lac
01-21-2017, 01:18 PM
If Cousins can average 26-28 in :lol today's NBA, so can Duncan

tmtcsc
01-21-2017, 01:22 PM
When it's all said and done, Leonard might retire with a strong case as the best offensive spur ever.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

I know you said "might" but I really wanted to use that gif. :toast