PDA

View Full Version : Should we trade Aldridge?

Cklbmk
01-21-2017, 09:32 PM
He never preforms against relevant teams.

Should we cash him out and fully build around Murray and Leonard?

FkLA
01-21-2017, 09:35 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/facepalm.gif

Chinook
01-21-2017, 09:36 PM
Those irrelevant-ass Golden State Warriors.

GB20
01-21-2017, 09:36 PM
Not and shot the fuck up

timtonymanu
01-21-2017, 09:37 PM
Those irrelevant-ass Golden State Warriors.

But forum experts said it was a fluke game

coachmac87
01-21-2017, 09:47 PM
For who?? Melo??

Cklbmk
01-21-2017, 09:49 PM
For who?? Melo??

I was thinking Jimmy Butler

cjw
01-21-2017, 09:56 PM
I guess he wasn't putting up 40 in a few games against a team with Adams and Ibaka last year in the playoffs

coachmac87
01-21-2017, 09:58 PM
I was thinking Jimmy Butler

And who plays the 4?

RD2191
01-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Lol. What a stupid question..of course we should. He's a soft ass faggot. Worthless piece of shit when it matters.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Aldridge played fine on offense and on the boards, tbh..he's never going to dominate Thompson in the post, but it doesn't matter..

He wasn't that good defensively, but nobody really was for the Spurs outside of Kyle..tough to play defense vs. the Cavs on the road..

PopTheGOAT
01-21-2017, 11:26 PM
And who plays the 4?
Fathead

sasaint
01-21-2017, 11:39 PM
And who plays the 4?

Spurs trade LMA + Danny for Butler + RoLo
Season with pick(s) as necessary.

Cklbmk
01-22-2017, 12:56 PM
And who plays the 4?

DavidLee.

Slippy
01-22-2017, 06:07 PM
Aldridge was the teams defensive anchor last night.Whether it was on a switch, man on man or team defense he was there. Majority of the time Aldridge was involved the team got the stop . In a way he allowed Kawai to concentrate on offense . The middle was soft when he sat the bench.

On offense he picked his spots, didnt force it against Thompson whos a great post defender & got others involved with 6 assists.

A trade request after beating last years champs minus 2 key role players. Keep it up spurs fans. Lol

Mnky
01-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Aldridge was the teams defensive anchor last night.Whether it was on a switch, man on man or team defense he was there. Majority of the time Aldridge was involved the team got the stop . In a way he allowed Kawai to concentrate on offense . The middle was soft when he sat the bench.

On offense he picked his spots, didnt force it against Thompson whos a great post defender & got others involved with 6 assists.

A trade request after beating last years champs minus 2 key role players. Keep it up spurs fans. Lol

People don't realize he is the anchor of this defense much like Duncan was. When he's out of the game, the defense usually plays horrible against smart teams. He rebounds and gets assists, and forces the defense to not cheat off him, opens the lanes, spreads the floor.

There are 2 or 3 guys in the NBA that could do what he does for the spurs.. I'm always up for upgrading, but how do you get better? Second best record and undefeated against the top two contenders at their home...

Perfection obsession is real.

Spur|n|Austin
01-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Great post after a solid win against the defending champions, I will recommend it to my wife and her friends!

SAGirl
01-22-2017, 09:15 PM
I doubt very much there are any trades.. Frankly the team is doing very well, and that weighs in favor of standing pat.

CGD
01-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Not this season, too important. But if they lose 3 or more of Manu, Simmons, DD, Lee, and Mills this summer, then next year becomes a retool year. I might consider seeing what I can get for LMA and Danny.

Chillen
01-22-2017, 09:42 PM

If I was RC I would only do LMA+Danny for Butler+Rondo+Nico. I like the thought of Butler and Leonard giving the Warriors a huge damn headache.

Cklbmk
02-06-2017, 11:30 PM
Who's changed their mind now

spurraider21
02-06-2017, 11:50 PM
i defend LMA quite a bit but dude is playing scared of a 39 year old guard :lol

Leetonidas
02-06-2017, 11:52 PM
His head is definitely somewhere else a lot this season

mexicanjunior
02-06-2017, 11:53 PM
Yes...fuck that POS...

DAF86
02-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Get Melo and speed the process for Bertans aka "the future all-star".

Tony
Green
Kawhi
Bertans
Pau

Mills
Manu
Melo
Lee
Dedmon.

cjw
02-06-2017, 11:55 PM

Tony
Green
Kawhi
Bertans
Pau

Mills
Manu
Melo
Lee
Dedmon.

assume you're trading Gasol too to somewhat make salaries match. Or completely ignoring them.

DAF86
02-06-2017, 11:57 PM
assume you're trading Gasol too to somewhat make salaries match. Or completely ignoring them.

I didn't check the numbers but Melos and LAs salaries must not be so far off.

cjw
02-07-2017, 12:03 AM
I didn't check the numbers but Melos and LAs salaries must not be so far off.

I misread and thought you were trading Bertans for Melo. LMA wouldn't survive in NY in a million years

Cklbmk
02-07-2017, 12:07 AM
I misread and thought you were trading Bertans for Melo. LMA wouldn't survive in NY in a million years

Not our problem once he ships out

Spurs9
02-07-2017, 12:09 AM
Yes

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2017, 12:12 AM
As one of the biggest Aldridge haters on this forum, he's actually playing like I would like him to play as an individual player, ironically:lol He has become a super role player(like Thunder Ibaka, for example)..

Unfortunately, the Spurs are built around him being the #2 option that can carry a load, and he hasn't been anywhere near that player, offensively..

pgardn
02-07-2017, 12:12 AM
Hell fckn NO.

You want KL in a complete bottle, trade Aldridge.

Bunch of fn wet cliff jumping tampons.

Darius Bieber
02-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Yes. He's not built for this role.

DAF86
02-07-2017, 12:18 AM
I'm seriously starting to think this is the way to go. Let's face it, we are never going to ring with LA as the second option. Our chances of ringing cling on Murray and Bertans development in the next few years and/or the moves we could make. Speeding up the process of at least Bertans could be beneficiary for the near future. Switching a midrange shooter (LA) for a three point shooter (Bertans), in the SL, is another win for in today's NBA, tbh.

Darius Bieber
02-07-2017, 12:19 AM
I'm seriously starting to think this is the way to go. Let's face it, we are never going to ring with LA as the second option. Our chances of ringing cling on Murray and Bertans development in the next few years and/or the moves we could make. Speeding up the process of at least Bertans could be beneficiary for the near future. Switching a midrange shooter (LA) for a three point shooter (Bertans), in the SL, is another win for in today's NBA.

Bertans is gone next year. Only a one season contract.

pgardn
02-07-2017, 12:20 AM
Hell fckn NO.

You want KL in a complete bottle, trade Aldridge.

Bunch of fn wet cliff jumping tampons.

DAF86
02-07-2017, 12:20 AM

We re-sign him, tbh.

Nathan89
02-07-2017, 12:21 AM
I'd keep him for this season. I'd move him after the season if looking forward I thought he was going to want a bigger contract than he's worth.

DAF86
02-07-2017, 12:30 AM
Do you seriously think that trading LA for a decent wing and a third string Center would limit this team's WCF ceiling? At this point, I trully don't.

MaNu4Tres
02-07-2017, 12:32 AM
Agree with Harlem in how he needs to be like OKCs Ibaka ( value tied to interior & PnR defense & boards). His offense is incredibly limited due to his inefficiency outside of his overrated mid range.

Aldridge is too predictable and too sloppy on the block. Smart teams never double ...those open 3s on strong side Danny gets vs the Kings and Lakers are fools gold. Ive been saying this after a lot of ST bold and greys overrate his true offensive value. He doesnt create good looks with the ball for himself or anyone...hes just a finisher that can Pop out in PnRs.

DAF86
02-07-2017, 12:44 AM
Do you seriously think that trading LA for a decent wing and a third string Center would limit this team's WCF ceiling? At this point, I trully don't.

Something along the lines of Terrence Ross and Lucas Nogueira.

DPG21920
02-07-2017, 12:46 AM
Agree with Harlem in how he needs to be like OKCs Ibaka ( value tied to interior & PnR defense & boards). His offense is incredibly limited due to his inefficiency outside of his overrated mid range.

Aldridge is too predictable and too sloppy on the block. Smart teams never double ...those open 3s on strong side Danny gets vs the Kings and Lakers are fools gold. Ive been saying this after a lot of ST bold and greys overrate his true offensive value. He doesnt create good looks with the ball for himself or anyone...hes just a finisher that can Pop out in PnRs.

Well he still get doubled a ton. I think you are giving him the Melo treatment and taking the hate too far. He has a legit shot out to the 3point line. He's just struggling.

He's never going to be mega efficient and you are correct about his post game (he needs to keep working on seeing doubles better) but he still has plenty of gravity.

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2017, 12:48 AM
Something along the lines of Terrence Ross and Lucas Nogueira.

:lol

Hoops Czar
02-07-2017, 12:54 AM

Agreed on Aldridge. Not understanding the love for him at all. He couldn't even get the blazers out of the first round of the playoffs. But Ibaka didn't have a ton of success outside of playing against the Spurs and OKC never won the title.

DAF86
02-07-2017, 12:56 AM

That's how low I think of him right now, tbh. :lol

If it could get done I would trade him for nothing but draft picks. I honestly think this team wouldn't miss a beat without his softass turnaround bricks. We are beating any 1st round team, and he's not a game changer against any possible 2nd round opponent, against a healthy Clippers team we're losing either way, and we can beat the Rockets and Jazz without him.

DPG21920
02-07-2017, 12:57 AM
That's how low I think of him right now, tbh. :lol

If it could get done I would trade him for nothing but draft picks. I honestly think this team wouldn't miss a beat without his softass turnaround bricks. We are beating any 1st round team, and he's not a game changer against any possible 2nd round opponent, against a healthy Clippers team we're losing either way, and we can beat the Rockets and Jazz without him.

Even just his defense gives SA a chance against anyone outside of GS

DAF86
02-07-2017, 01:02 AM
Even just his defense gives SA a chance against anyone outside of GS

Trade him for Robin Lopez if you want defense. I might be overreacting right now, but my patience just ran out with his inefficient, sissy ass offensive game.

Here's to hoping this is rock bottom for him and he picks it up from here, as he did last season.

BatManu20
02-07-2017, 01:03 AM
No. You're not going to get equal value in return. He's annoyingly soft and inconsistent, and will always be inefficient, but he's still easily our best #2 option, so we gotta roll with him. Just have to hope he becomes more consistent and mans up for the playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2017, 01:12 AM
Everybody knows how much I dislike Aldridge(the infamous 80+ page thread from last year:lol), but he's actually been a legitimate defensive anchor, this season..he has been extremely disappointing offensively, but he has become one of the best super role players in the NBA(Ibaka, Bosh, Gobert type)..

Blake
02-07-2017, 01:15 AM
You trade LA now and no big free agent will ever come here again

MaNu4Tres
02-07-2017, 01:16 AM
No. You're not going to get equal value in return. He's annoyingly soft and inconsistent, and will always be inefficient, but he's still easily our best #2 option, so we gotta roll with him. Just have to hope he becomes more consistent and mans up for the playoffs.

The second best option (in terms high % shot creation might be the third string point guard tbh..

MaNu4Tres
02-07-2017, 01:17 AM

Big FAs hardly jump ship after their 2nd deals. The new CBA is making it even harder with longer deals now.

TheGreatYacht
02-07-2017, 02:06 AM
Spurs will go from 1 big free agent in 2 decades of greatness, to none? Huge drop off tbh

Willing to give it a try

vander
02-07-2017, 02:24 AM
I was surprised to find that he's shooting 49% this year, seems like 33%.

we know he has another gear, maybe even 2, just got to hope he uses them in the playoffs

Chinook
02-07-2017, 04:26 AM
I sleep through one game, and the world falls apart...

spurraider21
02-07-2017, 05:31 AM
Everybody knows how much I dislike Aldridge(the infamous 80+ page thread from last year:lol), but he's actually been a legitimate defensive anchor, this season..he has been extremely disappointing offensively, but he has become one of the best super role players in the NBA(Ibaka, Bosh, Gobert type)..it was 81+ before some deleted posts tbh :lol

EIC
02-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Spurs will go from 1 big free agent in 2 decades of greatness, to none? Huge drop off tbh

Willing to give it a try

EIC
02-07-2017, 07:01 AM
The blocks by Carter are just a perfect encapsulation of Softridge's game. Zero heart and aggression. Nothing kills me like a soft quasi-7 footer and we have two. Other than the first few games of the OKC series last year (and the first game this year), he's been mediocre at best and anemic at worst. Trade his ass.

Cklbmk
02-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Wrong.

He's under contract next year also then hes RFA

Cklbmk
02-07-2017, 08:06 AM
I sleep through one game, and the world falls apart...

It's not just 1 game.

It's like 6/10 games.

kuato
02-07-2017, 08:09 AM
Aldridge was never a good defender... when the shot is not falling he is useless, like Parker

Chinook
02-07-2017, 08:33 AM
It's not just 1 game.

It's like 6/10 games.

No. I don't see why anyone cares at all what he does versus weak teams. We already know what he can do in the post-season. Everything else is just spinning wheels. Then again, you want to drop two firsts to bring in Rubio, so we just aren't going to agree on the roster in all likelihood.

Blake
02-07-2017, 08:53 AM

Willing to give it a try

I'm not talking just super stars. I'm talking about David West, Pau, Brent Barry type guys too

NameLess Scrub
02-07-2017, 09:33 AM
I want him to success here. This might just be a result of his poor work ethic in the offseason.
Hope he really turns it on in the playoffs. I think any idea of trading him is for discussion / fantasizing only.

mo7888
02-07-2017, 10:06 AM
I don't think you trade him now. We should let the season play out and if we flame out in the playoffs then trade him near the draft.

rjv
02-07-2017, 10:33 AM

Tony
Green
Kawhi
Bertans
Pau

Mills
Manu
Melo
Lee
Dedmon.

melo and LMA are the same head case with different skill sets.

coachmac87
02-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Still waiting for someone on the trading LA bandwagon to come up with a legit deal...

Chinook
02-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Still waiting for someone on the trading LA bandwagon to come up with a legit deal...

You mean the Spurs can't win it all with Amir Johnson as their starting PF?

SAGirl
02-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Aldridge was never a good defender... when the shot is not falling he is useless, like Parker
I think you are confused.
Thats Mills

SAGirl
02-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Maybe they can't win it all with Mr Charmin Softridge either.. there are some who want to build for the future... Still this game Kawhi and Pau didn't play and what no one will talk about: Mr Rising Star The Juice played like a dleague scrub.... I would steerr away from overpaying Juice. He's going to be 28, stat pads in garbage time, the Spurs have lost both game he started and he has a streaky slow jumper. For a small contract commensurate with a small role as a 10th guy he's good value. I think I am with HarlemHeat37 when it comes to him. If he's going to be overpaid in the offseason, it will be a mistake....

Anyways Lamarcus struggled and It was compounded by Spurs shooters being cold.

I won't overreact to a trade lynch mob bc both Kawhi and Pau were not playing. With better offensive players beside him maybe he turns things on in the postseason and this is just a meaningless game. Hopefully.

coachmac87
02-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Lmao...only if they bring back Kevin Martin

gambit1990
02-07-2017, 11:45 AM
yes, he and parker.

GSH
02-07-2017, 11:46 AM
All I can say is that I hope you aren't managing your own 401K's.

DAF86
02-07-2017, 11:55 AM
melo and LMA are the same head case with different skill sets.

Melo can at least attack the rim and volume 3pt shoot.

Strategic
02-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Lmao...only if they bring back Kevin Martin How dare you mention the latest Tom Riddle.

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2017, 12:13 PM
They wouldn't really be able to replace Aldridge's impact, tbh..

Ideally, the Spurs would acquire a penetrating guard and another shooter..statistically, the Spurs are a bottom-level team at the drive and kick, which is worrisome when compared to their peers:

Houston #2
Golden State #7
Cleveland #9
Spurs #21(only Memphis and Utah are worse among playoff teams in either conference, and the latter has been killed by injuries to their guards)

Unfortunately, losing Aldridge would kill the team's defense and lower its ceiling(since he's still an effective scorer when he's hot), though..Dedmon could replace his defense for stretches, but he's a foul machine that can't give you more than 15 MPG(and doesn't have an offensive game)..Pau could replace his offense, but he's nowhere near the defender..

Spurs9
02-07-2017, 12:37 PM
They wouldn't really be able to replace Aldridge's impact, tbh..

Ideally, the Spurs would acquire a penetrating guard and another shooter..statistically, the Spurs are a bottom-level team at the drive and kick, which is worrisome when compared to their peers:

Houston #2
Golden State #7
Cleveland #9
Spurs #21(only Memphis and Utah are worse among playoff teams in either conference, and the latter has been killed by injuries to their guards)

Unfortunately, losing Aldridge would kill the team's defense and lower its ceiling(since he's still an effective scorer when he's hot), though..Dedmon could replace his defense for stretches, but he's a foul machine that can't give you more than 15 MPG(and doesn't have an offensive game)..Pau could replace his offense, but he's nowhere near the defender..
What trade would you target for Aldridge? Is Cousins being shopped at all? Maybe target some plays from Pacers or Minny? PG13/Miles Turner/Wiggins

gambit1990
02-07-2017, 12:52 PM
trading la alone won't magically fix things.

you still have parker, who managed to put up 2 assists and 2 turnovers in 29 minutes last night.

Spurs9
02-07-2017, 12:55 PM
trading la alone won't magically fix things.

you still have parker, who managed to put up 2 assists and 2 turnovers in 29 minutes last night.

I'm for trading him tbh

NameLess Scrub
02-07-2017, 01:25 PM
All I can say is that I hope you aren't managing your own 401K's.

Cklbmk
02-07-2017, 03:01 PM
No. I don't see why anyone cares at all what he does versus weak teams. We already know what he can do in the post-season. Everything else is just spinning wheels. Then again, you want to drop two firsts to bring in Rubio, so we just aren't going to agree on the roster in all likelihood.

Attacking for a year old post that was prior to Murray's relevancy and traded players no longer on the team? Come on you're better than that

Chinook
02-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Attacking for a year old post that was prior to Murray's relevancy and traded players no longer on the team? Come on you're better than that

I'm not attacking you. This is Spurstalk. Attacks don't have to be subtle here. You and I just fundamentally do not agree on the roster. In the same way you thought guys like Rubio were upgrades, you think it's possible to upgrade from LMA. Or you believe that the Spurs should not push to win this season.

gambit1990
02-07-2017, 03:45 PM
are the spurs still interested in ibaka?

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2017, 03:53 PM
What trade would you target for Aldridge? Is Cousins being shopped at all? Maybe target some plays from Pacers or Minny? PG13/Miles Turner/Wiggins

There's no realistic trade for Aldridge that would make the Spurs better, tbh..

Realistically, the Spurs probably aren't winning a title until they improve their PG situation, barring injury..Parker is virtually useless and Mills is a SG..every other top team has good to great PGs(Curry, Harden, Paul, Conley, Westbrook, Kyrie, Wall, Lowry, Thomas)..

Sucks, because the Spurs wouldn't even need a star at PG like Curry or Westbrook..a really good PG like Dragic or even an above average guy like Hill would be fine..

GSH
02-07-2017, 05:34 PM

/thread

south side spur
02-07-2017, 07:21 PM
are the spurs still interested in ibaka?

Aldridge and a 1st round pick for Ibaka, Gordon and Hezonja would be a fair trade and one that would bring in the youth to build around Kawhi.

lilbthebasedgod
02-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Aldridge is one of the best big man defenders in the league so even if he's not great offensively hes got that

tbdog
02-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Ibaka will get paid more than what LMA will earn next year.

Cklbmk
02-07-2017, 08:07 PM
I'm not attacking you. This is Spurstalk. Attacks don't have to be subtle here. You and I just fundamentally do not agree on the roster. In the same way you thought guys like Rubio were upgrades, you think it's possible to upgrade from LMA. Or you believe that the Spurs should not push to win this season.

I think theres better fits which would be better for us. Not really a better player, but Ibaka would be a better fit here.

Rubio would be an upgrade to Parker and Mills also

xtremesteven33
02-07-2017, 08:28 PM
Spurs should do a trade if it presents itself. Aldridge is never going to be the guy they want him to. I hope im wrong, but I just dont see it.

Ice009
02-07-2017, 08:56 PM
I'd like Ibaka, but I wouldn't trade Aldridge for him. Next season Ibaka will probably get a bigger contract than what Aldridge has now, and he's not a better player than Aldridge. I certainly wouldn't want to trade LA for Ibaka and then have to pay Ibaka more money to stay next season than what Aldridge is getting now. If we could somehow get him as a rental for the rest of this season without giving up Kawhi or LA I'd do it.

sasaint
02-07-2017, 11:08 PM
I'd like Ibaka, but I wouldn't trade Aldridge for him. Next season Ibaka will probably get a bigger contract than what Aldridge has now, and he's not a better player than Aldridge. I certainly wouldn't want to trade LA for Ibaka and then have to pay Ibaka more money to stay next season than what Aldridge is getting now. If we could somehow get him as a rental for the rest of this season without giving up Kawhi or LA I'd do it.

I doubt that Ibaka will get a bigger contract next season than Aldridge is getting paid this season. But his being on an expiring contract is not necessarily a bad thing. The Spurs would have his Bird rights. But even if the team let Ibaka walk, that would clear cap space if the Spurs wanted to pursue Griffin. JaMychal Green and other options will also be available for less money, leaving cap space for even another significant signing.

gambit1990
02-08-2017, 12:06 AM
while i've been on board to trade lma, the main problem is parker.

part of the reason i'm willing to trade lma is so that we can package tony.

GSH
02-08-2017, 01:10 AM
Aldridge is never going to be the guy they want him to. I hope im wrong, but I just dont see it.

Well he's not ever going to be the guy ST wants, that's for fucking sure. Most people here say they wouldn't want LeBron. Definitely not Curry. They think Draymond is overrated AF. Durant is a cuck. Westbrick is a loser. Harden? Don't even talk about Harden. SpursTalk hates all those guys, and would never want them on the team.

Strangely, most of them WOULD trade the whole team for Porzingis or the Greek Freak. But as soon as they got here, people would be screaming to trade them too. Why should LMA get any special treatment?

Ice009
02-08-2017, 05:15 AM
while i've been on board to trade lma, the main problem is parker.

part of the reason i'm willing to trade lma is so that we can package tony.

LOL. If we can package Tony with LA, then forget about everything I've said. I'll fly to the US, drive them to the airport and then fly back to my own country without even going anywhere else.

MultiTroll
02-08-2017, 10:51 AM

Realistically, the Spurs probably aren't winning a title until they improve their PG situation, barring injury..Parker is virtually useless and Mills is a SG..every other top team has good to great PGs(Curry, Harden, Paul, Conley, Westbrook, Kyrie, Wall, Lowry, Thomas)..

Sucks, because the Spurs wouldn't even need a star at PG like Curry or Westbrook..a really good PG like Dragic or even an above average guy like Hill would be fine..
Agree.
But, would Griffin for Aldridge make the Spurs better or strictly a lateral move?

MultiTroll
02-08-2017, 10:56 AM
If Chicago would be game, do it.

MultiTroll
02-08-2017, 11:23 AM
I initially thought you meant Butler and Rhondo. ^^

sasaint
02-08-2017, 11:30 AM
I initially thought you meant Butler and Rhondo. ^^

LOL. No! Robin Lopez, a true center who plays hard and doesn't shy away from contact.

Ice009
02-08-2017, 02:05 PM
If Chicago would be game, do it.

It really sucks thinking about trading for Butler as I was looking at the 2011 draft earlier today.

29th pick Spurs draft Cory Joseph
30th pick Bulls draft Jimmy Butler

59th pick Spurs draft Adam Hanga
60th pick Kings draft Isaiah Thomas

I know drafting is hit and miss, but those two players were picked right after the Spurs' picks, so it kind of makes me feel like more of a close miss. So close yet so far type of thing. Spurs could have left that draft with a haul of Kawhi, Butler, Bertans and Thomas. That's almost a whole starting 5. I'm most upset about Isaiah Thomas. I loved the way he played the first time I saw him in a Kings uniform, thought he would have been sick off the bench for the Spurs - A superior version of Speedy Claxton. He's really turned himself into an amazing player. Anyone seen what he's been doing this season? Not sure if he can keep up his current play, but it appears that he's getting better and better.

Cklbmk
02-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Should we trade him for Jeff Green just to clear his salary?

spursistan
02-12-2017, 06:04 PM
I would do a Millsap for LMA, tbh..His offensive versatility is way more valuable..

Mal
02-12-2017, 06:07 PM
It really sucks thinking about trading for Butler as I was looking at the 2011 draft earlier today.

29th pick Spurs draft Cory Joseph
30th pick Bulls draft Jimmy Butler

59th pick Spurs draft Adam Hanga
60th pick Kings draft Isaiah Thomas

I know drafting is hit and miss, but those two players were picked right after the Spurs' picks, so it kind of makes me feel like more of a close miss. So close yet so far type of thing. Spurs could have left that draft with a haul of Kawhi, Butler, Bertans and Thomas. That's almost a whole starting 5. I'm most upset about Isaiah Thomas. I loved the way he played the first time I saw him in a Kings uniform, thought he would have been sick off the bench for the Spurs - A superior version of Speedy Claxton. He's really turned himself into an amazing player. Anyone seen what he's been doing this season? Not sure if he can keep up his current play, but it appears that he's getting better and better.

Thomas plays no defense at all. He wont play his offense with Parker on board, and wont get into rotation without playing defense.

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2017, 07:36 AM
His offense is incredibly limited due to his inefficiency outside of his overrated mid range.

tbh

SAGirl
05-02-2017, 12:35 PM
tbh
He does get doubled... not bc they fear him IMO, but bc he's such a poor passer that he will cough up the ball b4 he finds a teammate. I had already seen that in game 4 of the Memphis series and it has continued from there on. He's not going to get what he wants in the post. He's going to get blitzed/flashed doubled by Beverly or whomever and cough it up.

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2017, 12:54 PM
He does get doubled... not bc they fear him IMO, but bc he's such a poor passer that he will cough up the ball b4 he finds a teammate. I had already seen that in game 4 of the Memphis series and it has continued from there on. He's not going to get what he wants in the post. He's going to get blitzed/flashed doubled by Beverly or whomever and cough it up.

Teams mix it up for the very reason you pointed out.. but they are anticipating his passes like defenses anticipate Brock Osweiler's passes because he's so predictable.

My point is, he doesn't create the type of doubles that create better opportunities. Teams are anticipating closing out if they can't deflect the pass. So how are these type of traps beneficial to the others on the Spurs?

Also, Rockets left Ryno to defend him 1 on 1 in 4 other possessions and LA couldn't take advantage. I wasn't surprised... he's been a 43% option in the post all season long. Massively overrated player in the post not just in this forum, but on twitter and from SAENS own media guys.

Post play in general is one of the worst styles of offense in 2017. You can't compete w/ the best teams in a 7 game series playing post up 40% basketball while they get 40-50 40% threes the other way. I said it last off-season but many people here tried to argue Gasol/LA would be an advantage in the post against smaller teams. Not the case, why? Because they don't have the foot speed/footwork to make effective moves towards the rim that warrant weakside attention. Teams can play them straight up and easily stay between them and the basket -- making them take 40% contested hooks or dumbass fadeaways. If Spurs are getting contested 2's at a 40% clip, while HOU/GS are getting 40-50 40% 3's a game, in a 7 game series.. it won't be close.. not by a long shot.

SAGirl
05-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Teams mix it up for the very reason you pointed out.. but they are anticipating his passes like defenses anticipate Brock Osweiler's passes because he's so predictable.

My point is, he doesn't create the type of doubles that create better opportunities. Teams are anticipating closing out if they can't deflect the pass. So how are these type of traps beneficial to the others on the Spurs?

Also, Rockets left Ryno to defend him 1 on 1 in 4 other possessions and LA couldn't take advantage. I wasn't surprised... he's been a 43% option in the post all season long. Massively oriented player in the post not just in this forum, but on twitter and from SAENS own media guys.
He doesn't... they need to move away from him. As you said, he's a finisher not a creator. This series is over if Pop keeps going to him and he's not going to change. He's not all of sudden going to play Dijon, Bertans and Kyle more (I know you don't like him but damn he's better than this Lamarcus tbh.)

UNT Eagles 2016
05-02-2017, 01:03 PM
He doesn't... they need to move away from him. As you said, he's a finisher not a creator. This series is over if Pop keeps going to him and he's not going to change. He's not all of sudden going to play Dijon, Bertans and Kyle more (I know you don't like him but damn he's better than this Lamarcus tbh.)

Dijon, Dedmon need to play more... Anderson is too much of a liability on offense while Simmons is too much of a liability on both offense and defense.

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2017, 01:08 PM

Pop won't though. Pop will keep going big and will probably go inside to Pau/LA more because that's what he thinks will win ... unfortunately.

MultiTroll
08-10-2022, 09:56 AM
"I was very candid with him," Gregg Popovich recalled months later. "I told him, 'I'd be happy to trade you. You get me a talent like Kevin Durant, and I'll drive you to the airport. I'll pack your bags. And I will drive you there, get you on the plane, and get you seated.' He laughed, you know, that kind of thing.

"I said, 'But short of that, I'm your best buddy because you're here for another year, and you ain't going nowhere. Because we're not gonna get for you talentwise what we would want. So let's figure this thing out.' And we did."

The trade request didn't become public until Popovich told reporters that it had been a catalyst for Aldridge's best season in San Antonio. Their discussions had made Popovich realize that he had been "overcoaching" Aldridge, the legendary coach said. Popovich changed his approach, and Aldridge signed a two-year extension before the regular season started. Aldridge made the All-NBA Second Team in 2018, made his seventh All-Star team in 2019 and remained with the Spurs until they agreed to a buyout in 2021.

Link
A history of unfulfilled NBA trade requests, from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to Scottie Pippen to Kobe Bryant - CBSSports.com (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/a-history-of-unfulfilled-nba-trade-requests-from-kareem-abdul-jabbar-to-scottie-pippen-to-kobe-bryant/)

Arcadian
08-10-2022, 03:48 PM
Their discussions had made Popovich realize that he had been "overcoaching" Aldridge, the legendary coach said.

Well, no shit. Aldridge had already played 9 years and been an All-star 4 times when he signed with the Spurs. You can't just take a veteran player who's already established himself as a star and try to change the way he plays.