PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein's picks for All-Star reserves: Aldridge isn't even top 5 omission

TD 21
01-22-2017, 05:04 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4924/marc-steins-picks-for-nba-all-star-reserves

:lmao Yet he picks Thompson, who's had a worse season and is a worse player in general, reasoning that the Warriors "deserve" four players (yet somehow their closest pursuers don't deserve two) because of their play this week and because he can be an "irresistible showman". All these national writers, who have practically transformed into Warriors beat writers from spending so much time covering them the past few years, like him and Michael Lee of the Vertical, either can't conceal their bias or don't even bother trying, but either way, it's sickening.

Aldridge hasn't had a great season, but he was a no brainer his last 4-5 seasons as a Trail Blazer and the only differences are, he's a more efficient scorer and this season a worse defensive rebounder, yet somehow he's lost credibility because he's no longer averaging 22 and 10? Of course his averages were going to go down, playing less minutes, taking less shots and playing next to better rebounders. There's no common sense.

By a lot of the national media's logic, if the Warriors have four stars to the Spurs one, shouldn't that mean that Leonard is the runaway favorite for MVP? They're once again the only team even near their stratosphere in the regular season, yet he's not even considered top two. Unbelievable.

apalisoc_9
01-22-2017, 05:06 PM
The saving grace is that coaches pick the reserves. And they probably based their picks on who they gameplan for and who beat them.

Not the media.

Media this year for some reason is too tied up with narratives.

Otherwise, Leonard would be a cealr cut MVP runnaway.

picnroll
01-22-2017, 05:08 PM
To the media the Warriors are the NBA and the rest of the teams are just a bunch of Generals with occasional lip service to the Cavs.

apalisoc_9
01-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Also, Pop is the only one that can drive a narrative for San Antonio.

At some point, he should be making statmenets to support his player like all coaches do. But I suspect that he's fallen in love with the narrative that everything revolves around him in San Antonio.

So he sticks with modest and cliche compliments that serve not the players but himself.

in2deep
01-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Aldridge sucks. Should be dominating every game. hope he doesn't make it in

HarlemHeat37
01-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Aldridge hasn't had an All-star caliber season, tbh..I don't even think there's an argument to be made for him, this season..

Splits
01-22-2017, 05:18 PM
in b4 OP blames Porker being fat as the reason

DAF86
01-22-2017, 05:24 PM
I remeber when folks here were telling me there was no way Aldridge wouldn't make the ASG.

apalisoc_9
01-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Aldridge not making the all-star is in someway going to help Leonard if leonard makes a bigger psuh for MVP though.

Which is retarded but narratives are retarded. Just pointing out the logic behind it.

apalisoc_9
01-22-2017, 05:26 PM
I remeber when folks here were telling me there was no way Aldridge wouldn't make the ASG.

I still think he will since coaches make the pick.

But who knows..

picnroll
01-22-2017, 05:26 PM
By the numbers Raymond has no place on the all stars. Numbers are mediocre and he's the second best defender on the Warriors after Durant. Are s number of better bigs, Davis, Cousins, Gobert, Towns, Jordan. Anyone of those would make the Warriors better than with Raymond.

TD 21
01-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Aldridge hasn't had an All-star caliber season, tbh..I don't even think there's an argument to be made for him, this season..

Merit is largely irrelevant, as reputation and team success have always played a major role in All-Star selections and he checks both boxes.

It's hypocritical to apply that criteria when it's a Warrior, then disregard it when it's a Spur.

daslicer
01-22-2017, 05:35 PM
By the numbers Raymond has no place on the all stars. Numbers are mediocre and he's the second best defender on the Warriors after Durant. Are s number of better bigs, Davis, Cousins, Gobert, Towns, Jordan. Anyone of those would make the Warriors better than with Raymond.

He's a glorified role player that gets hyped up by the media and his organization. It's apparent judging by the player votes that not even his peers think he's a legit all-star.

sasaint
01-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Aldridge not making the all-star is in someway going to help Leonard if leonard makes a bigger psuh for MVP though.

Which is retarded but narratives are retarded. Just pointing out the logic behind it.

Frankly I am more interested in what an all-star snub might do for/to Aldridge's attitude/play. Also, if he doesn't already, would a snub make him regret signing with the Spurs. Make him want out of town?

cd98
01-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Why do we want any Spurs at that boring game. I want them all home relaxing. Let the Warrrior fools run up and down in a meaningless game where Durant and Westbrook are going to hog the ball to prove to each other who the best player is. Hopefully both will be rewarded with an injury. Be honest, between Durant playing with a bunch of Warriors to pass to him and Westbrook determined to win the only MVP he's capable of winning, how many shots does Kawhi get? And LMA, as a big, won't get any passes. It's just an unnecessary injury risk.

Uriel
01-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Marc Stein kept the Warriors at #1 in his Power Rankings the whole year last year, even during the week when the Spurs beat them and everyone else had the Spurs #1. He wanted to keep them at #1 for the sake of being able to say they were #1 the whole year.

This time, he's giving favorable treatment to Houston, putting the Rockets above the Spurs in his Power Rankings even though the latter is clearly better than the former.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-22-2017, 09:27 PM

Yup, Aldridge has played like a solid roleplayer all year, not a legit #2 option All star.

HarlemHeat37
01-22-2017, 10:18 PM

:lmao

He's their best playmaker and defensive anchor..mediocre numbers? He's averaging 7.7 APG from the PF position :lol

LoneStarState'sPride
01-22-2017, 10:27 PM
KL wants to win MVP. Believe he's even said as much in the past.

Pop doesn't give a shit. Nor should he.

picnroll
01-22-2017, 10:27 PM

He's their best playmaker and defensive anchor..mediocre numbers? He's averaging 7.7 APG from the PF position :lol
And Davis Towns, Cousins, Gobert and Jordan are better bigs. :lol
I'd take anyone of those on the Spurs way before Raymond.

HarlemHeat37
01-22-2017, 10:31 PM
And Davis Towns, Cousins, Gobert and Jordan are better bigs. :lol

Jordan isn't even close to Draymond:lol

The others might be better, but only Gobert could do some of what Draymond does for GS(he's useless on offense other than dunking, though)..Davis, Cousins and Towns are terrible defensive players..

Draymond Green is the best passing big in the NBA, along with being an elite defender..we haven't seen many players with that combination of skills..

picnroll
01-22-2017, 10:38 PM
Jordan isn't even close to Draymond:lol

The others might be better, but only Gobert could do some of what Draymond does for GS(he's useless on offense other than dunking, though)..Davis, Cousins and Towns are terrible defensive players..

Draymond Green is the best passing big in the NBA, along with being an elite defender..we haven't seen many players with that combination of skills..
I know Raymond is your kind of blowhard player, a la West, but now, without Bogut, Durant is saving Green's ass protecting the rim.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-22-2017, 10:42 PM
KL wants to win MVP. Believe he's even said as much in the past.

Pop doesn't give a shit. Nor should he.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-22-2017, 11:23 PM
I'd argue that of all the players on the Warriors roster, the one they could afford to lose the least would be Draymond. He's arguably DPOY so far.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-22-2017, 11:37 PM

The reason isn't even his fault, the West is just super stacked this year

picnroll
01-22-2017, 11:44 PM
I'd argue that of all the players on the Warriors roster, the one they could afford to lose the least would be Draymond. He's arguably DPOY so far.

I think Raymond showed his talent relative to other bigs when he was on the USA Olympic team.

lefty20
01-23-2017, 01:32 AM
Fuck the MVP and Fuck the ASG. Just gimme the :lobt2:

BatManu20
01-23-2017, 01:38 AM

Hes a shoo-in tbh. Warrior fans are pleading to the media for it like their lives depend on it.

John Petrucci
01-23-2017, 02:14 AM
I think Raymond showed his talent relative to other bigs when he was on the USA Olympic team.

Really a great example of an actual system player being exposed. He really looked like he didn't belong on the same court as those guys 99% of the time. Still, his defensive versatility in the NBA can't be denied.

He's just such a perfect fit with GS's offensive scheme and talent. His assist numbers are really impressive. With that being said, I can't stand the guy and I'd love to see him not be an all star.

BillMc
01-23-2017, 02:55 AM
SO the teams with the best record...
Warriors 4 all-stars
Cavs 3 all-stars
Raptors 2 all-stars

Not to mention the Jazz get 2

Yet, the Spurs only get 1. Seems to me if that's the case it boosts either Kawhi's MVP candidacy or Pop's COY case or both.

I think LMA should be on there. If he isn't, I hope it motivates him, but he keeps playing the team game (all those assists) he's been doing lately.

dabom
01-23-2017, 02:56 AM
LMA is gonna make it.

John Petrucci
01-23-2017, 03:27 AM
Warriors 4 all-stars
Cavs 3 all-stars
Raptors 2 all-stars

Yet, the Spurs only get 1. Seems to me if that's the case it boosts either Kawhi's MVP candidacy or Pop's COY case or both.

To have the record we have and only have 1 all star would be a joke. What was Atlanta's record a couple of years ago when they got 4?? :lol But you're right. It would make Kawhi and Pop look pretty great.

I can see the coaches giving LMA some love on the voting, but not the players and media. Hope I'm wrong.

BillMc
01-23-2017, 03:39 AM
Game Time guys don't have LMA as a reserve either"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqaC7W--744

Of course, they have Paul George as a reserve in the West too. So take it with a grain of salt.

John Petrucci
01-23-2017, 03:42 AM
Game Time guys don't have LMA as a reserve either" https://watch.nba.com/video/2017/01/22/20170122-gametime-allstar-reserve-picks

Of course, they have Paul George as a reserve in the West too. So take it with a grain of salt.

Either I'm doing something wrong, or you need League Pass to view the video you linked to.

John Petrucci
01-23-2017, 03:48 AM
Probably the later. My bad. I'll see if I can find it on Youtube

Would this be the first time a team with a record like ours, 2nd in entire league, only had 1 all star? I'm curious if this would set a precedent of some sort. All hail God coach Pop.

BillMc
01-23-2017, 03:49 AM
Either I'm doing something wrong, or you need League Pass to view the video you linked to.
Fixed it

John Petrucci
01-23-2017, 03:50 AM
Fixed it

Appreciate it :toast

I hate Sekou's reasoning on PG. Putting a guy in the all star game because of who he ideally is, not how he or how his team has performed. Reminds me of Kobe's many all defense selections.

BillMc
01-23-2017, 03:51 AM
Would this be the first time a team with a record like ours, 2nd in entire league, only had 1 all star? I'm curious if this would set a precedent of some sort. All hail God coach Pop.

I don't think it's the first time. These things happen every few seasons.

John Petrucci
01-23-2017, 04:09 AM
I don't think it's the first time. These things happen every few seasons.

Yea...has to have happened with LBJ early in his career a couple of times now that I think about it.

spurraider21
01-23-2017, 04:14 AM
i dont think aldridge makes it this year. he's certainly not getting in ahead of cousins, green, gobert, towns... and he'd have to beat out a bunch of guards for that last wildcard spot, too

timtonymanu
01-23-2017, 05:02 AM
Meh, if he doesn't make it, it doesn't matter. I know because of their record people think 2 Spurs should be on. But it's not like LMA has been the clear cut 2nd best player on the team all season. There are other more deserving players in the West imo.

timtonymanu
01-23-2017, 05:08 AM
I can still see Aldridge getting on the roster though.

Westbrook
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Marc Gasol
Hayward or Gobert
Aldridge or DeAndre Jordan

Would be BS if Lillard makes it again which I'm sure he will still complain about if he doesn't make it.

cd98
01-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Kawhi will be watching Durant and Westbrook fight over who gets to shoot the ball in their battle for the meaningless All Star game MVP. Waste of his time. Why send a second player who will never touch the ball on offense unless he rebounds one of Westbrooks bricks? I think Kawhi should fake an injury and stay home.

MI21
01-23-2017, 09:51 AM
I feel like this sort of thing matters to LMA, so hopefully he gets in.

Seventyniner
01-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Kawhi will be watching Durant and Westbrook fight over who gets to shoot the ball in their battle for the meaningless All Star game MVP. Waste of his time. Why send a second player who will never touch the ball on offense unless he rebounds one of Westbrooks bricks? I think Kawhi should fake an injury and stay home.

Westbrook and Durant as teammates is the main reason I'm going to watch the game. I wonder if Kerr will try to stagger their minutes to protect Durant's ego?

cd98
01-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Westbrook and Durant as teammates is the main reason I'm going to watch the game. I wonder if Kerr will try to stagger their minutes to protect Durant's ego? I almost agree with you except I just can't watch that no defense garbage. But it would be funny to see if all the GSW players pass to Durant to help him get the MVP and how often Westbrook will shoot and ignore everyone on the court except a player open for a dunk so he can pad his assist stats and make it look like he was a "team" player.

NameLess Scrub
01-23-2017, 11:24 AM
in b4 OP blames Porker being fat as the reason

I blame Fatdrige. He's being getting back into Aldridge but maybe it's too late.

elemento
01-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Aldridge played much better in the last month or so, but I don't think that's enough to make the all-star team. He started pretty slow this season. I don't give a damn if he makes it or not tbh.

I'd like to see Bertans in the 3p contest someday and Simmons in the dunk contest.

NameLess Scrub
01-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Why do we want any Spurs at that boring game. I want them all home relaxing. Let the Warrrior fools run up and down in a meaningless game where Durant and Westbrook are going to hog the ball to prove to each other who the best player is. Hopefully both will be rewarded with an injury. Be honest, between Durant playing with a bunch of Warriors to pass to him and Westbrook determined to win the only MVP he's capable of winning, how many shots does Kawhi get? And LMA, as a big, won't get any passes. It's just an unnecessary injury risk.

I think it's more about getting picked than actually playing, for the Spurs.

I'd think Kawhi goes to take it very easy and let Westbrook compulsively try to get the MVP, per usual.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Hes a shoo-in tbh. Warrior fans are pleading to the media for it like their lives depend on it.

Which is something I've always respected about the Spurs. They never whore out their players to the media/voters to get votes. I still remember the Pacers going all out to get Ron Artest that DPOY over Bowen.

Fireball
01-23-2017, 03:47 PM
LMA is not an All-Star this season ... lol at Klay Thompson not deserving it ... his 60 point game alone warrants him a spot tbh

dabom
01-23-2017, 03:49 PM
LMA is not an All-Star this season ... lol at Klay Thompson not deserving it ... his 60 point game alone warrants him a spot tbh

Tell me all the warrior all-stars? That you think will make it.

TD 21
01-23-2017, 05:18 PM

This is probably true, but like Bosh, that's more a reflection of their roster construction than him. He's still the clear third best player on the roster and is in an ideal situation.

:lol At people pretending as if it's solely about merit, with the exception of the no brainers. You know who else got off to a slow start and is a worse player to begin with? Thompson, yet no one seems to take issue with him making it (and he will make it, because he's the most overrated player in the league) or suggesting who should, if Aldridge shouldn't.

Again, basing it off of the way it's been done as long as I can remember, it should be: Green, Conley (Paul replacement), Gasol, Westbrook, Cousins, Aldridge, Hayward.

Warriors 4 all-stars
Cavs 3 all-stars
Raptors 2 all-stars

I think LMA should be on there. If he isn't, I hope it motivates him, but he keeps playing the team game (all those assists) he's been doing lately.

:tu

Fireball
01-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Tell me all the warrior all-stars? That you think will make it.

draymond and klay should be in the mix ... I do not know if they make it but they deserve it more than LMA ...
if LMA gets somehow selected he will think its enough how he has played this season so far but he needs to step it up

dabom
01-23-2017, 06:58 PM
draymond and klay should be in the mix ... I do not know if they make it but they deserve it more than LMA ...
if LMA gets somehow selected he will think its enough how he has played this season so far but he needs to step it up

Don't cop out. Tell me every Warrior YOU would put in the Allstar game.

phxspurfan
01-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Aldridge is not having an all star season, non-issue

HarlemHeat37
01-23-2017, 11:15 PM
Merit is largely irrelevant, as reputation and team success have always played a major role in All-Star selections and he checks both boxes.

It's hypocritical to apply that criteria when it's a Warrior, then disregard it when it's a Spur.

I think there's a decent chance that Aldridge will make it for the reasons you mentioned(specifically reputation)..However, I just don't believe he's had anything close to an All-Star caliber 1st half of the season..

If it was strictly based on merit, he wouldn't get in..The name on the back of his jersey still gives him a chance to actually make the team, though..

UZER
01-23-2017, 11:25 PM
Maybe him not getting in will light a fire under his ass.

Probably not.

Spurtacular
01-24-2017, 12:49 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4924/marc-steins-picks-for-nba-all-star-reserves

:lmao Yet he picks Thompson, who's had a worse season and is a worse player in general, reasoning that the Warriors "deserve" four players (yet somehow their closest pursuers don't deserve two) because of their play this week and because he can be an "irresistible showman". All these national writers, who have practically transformed into Warriors beat writers from spending so much time covering them the past few years, like him and Michael Lee of the Vertical, either can't conceal their bias or don't even bother trying, but either way, it's sickening.

Aldridge hasn't had a great season, but he was a no brainer his last 4-5 seasons as a Trail Blazer and the only differences are, he's a more efficient scorer and this season a worse defensive rebounder, yet somehow he's lost credibility because he's no longer averaging 22 and 10? Of course his averages were going to go down, playing less minutes, taking less shots and playing next to better rebounders. There's no common sense.

By a lot of the national media's logic, if the Warriors have four stars to the Spurs one, shouldn't that mean that Leonard is the runaway favorite for MVP? They're once again the only team even near their stratosphere in the regular season, yet he's not even considered top two. Unbelievable.

Marc Stein is clearly an idiot, tbh.

spursistan
01-24-2017, 08:37 AM

:lmao if he becomes the fourth Warrior at ASG with GSW just two games ahead of us in the loss column..

cd98
01-24-2017, 10:53 AM
The all star game is a shame and the voting is a sham. The fact that voters think its important to have four warriors because they have two less losses than the number 2 Spurs while sending only one Spur is an example of the bias in voting. Plus, the criteria is now changing with people saying that they want to send the more exciting players to the all star game. If that's the case, then what does it even mean to be an all-star and why is that a criteria used in judging the quality of a player. The reality is the all-star game and its credibility has been on a downward slant. How long will it take for fans to tune out of Westbrook and Durant each taking 40 shots in an effort to outdo each other for the MVP. I mean the Kobe vs. MJ dynamic years ago was a little compelling as they played against each other and wanted to show each other up, but at this point, Durant and Westbrook are just chucking for numbers and fighting with each other for the ball. What will happen to the Warriors' relationships if they don't feed the ball to Durant?

Cry Havoc
01-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Marc Stein kept the Warriors at #1 in his Power Rankings the whole year last year, even during the week when the Spurs beat them and everyone else had the Spurs #1. He wanted to keep them at #1 for the sake of being able to say they were #1 the whole year.

This time, he's giving favorable treatment to Houston, putting the Rockets above the Spurs in his Power Rankings even though the latter is clearly better than the former.

What? Spurs are #2 this week. They went 4-3 the week before, the drop to 4th was deserved.

Cry Havoc
01-24-2017, 11:53 AM
The all star game is a shame and the voting is a sham. The fact that voters think its important to have four warriors because they have two less losses than the number 2 Spurs while sending only one Spur is an example of the bias in voting. Plus, the criteria is now changing with people saying that they want to send the more exciting players to the all star game. If that's the case, then what does it even mean to be an all-star and why is that a criteria used in judging the quality of a player. The reality is the all-star game and its credibility has been on a downward slant. How long will it take for fans to tune out of Westbrook and Durant each taking 40 shots in an effort to outdo each other for the MVP. I mean the Kobe vs. MJ dynamic years ago was a little compelling as they played against each other and wanted to show each other up, but at this point, Durant and Westbrook are just chucking for numbers and fighting with each other for the ball. What will happen to the Warriors' relationships if they don't feed the ball to Durant?

I disagree with Klay getting in. He hasn't done enough this season.

But I also disagree that LMA deserves a spot. There are too many other good bigs this year.

Seventyniner
01-24-2017, 11:56 AM
If it was strictly based on merit, he wouldn't get in..The name on the back of his jersey still gives him a chance to actually make the team, though..

Nah, I think it's the name on the front of the jersey that will matter. Being the 2nd best player on a near .800 team is usually enough for a spot by itself.

cd98
01-24-2017, 12:03 PM
I disagree with Klay getting in. He hasn't done enough this season.

But I also disagree that LMA deserves a spot. There are too many other good bigs this year. There are better players than both of those guys that will be left off the team, which is why the all-star nod is getting more and more meaningless.

spurraider21
01-26-2017, 07:41 PM
i dont think aldridge makes it this year. he's certainly not getting in ahead of cousins, green, gobert, towns... and he'd have to beat out a bunch of guards for that last wildcard spot, toowas pretty sure he wouldn't make it... but didnt think jordan/hayward woulda made it

tholdren
01-26-2017, 07:49 PM

LOL you're so ignorant. If I were on the floor with Durant, Thompson, Curry I would average 20 apg. LOL APG in that lineup... you be dumb bro

Kawhitstorm
01-26-2017, 08:41 PM

:lmao Yet he picks Thompson, who's had a worse season and is a worse player in general

Klay has the second highest on/off number on the team only behind Curry: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2017/on-off/

tonight...you
01-26-2017, 08:42 PM
Klay has the second highest on/off number on the team only behind Curry: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2017/on-off/
Okay...and?

SAGirl
01-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Lamarcus didn't make it in.

TD 21
01-27-2017, 05:28 PM

:lmao Just a sample of the most overrated player in the league's season . . .

TS%: 63rd
PER: 101st
WS/48:118th
VORP: 128th
BPM: 137th

He not only had no business being selected, but even receiving serious consideration and if he were anything but a Warrior, he wouldn't have.