PDA

View Full Version : First Take: Is Pop the Greatest Coach of All Time?

spursparker9
01-23-2017, 07:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY8bOCxXnY0

cd98
01-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Pop used to be an underrated coach. Now he's overrated. So was Phil and Red. But who really cares who is the best coach of all time and based on what criteria?

cutewizard
01-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Yes!

RD2191
01-23-2017, 10:21 AM
If pop wins it all this year he has to be.

I. Hustle
01-23-2017, 10:34 AM
If pop wins it all this year he has to be.

This.

If he can win without Tim then yes. No more "But he had a number one pick..." talk. Even though the Clippers, Sixers, Wizards, etc have had number 1 picks only to do nothing with them.

apalisoc_9
01-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Another reason why Pop is overrated. It seems like its never about the players rather its about him.

apalisoc_9
01-23-2017, 10:45 AM
And he enjoys it. Make no mistake. Not only does he enjoy it, he looks for it.

boutons_deux
01-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Another reason why Pop is overrated. It seems like its never about the players rather its about him.

goddam, you're stupid

lefty
01-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Riley is underrated tbh

The Knicks were quite competitive when he was there

He had Ewing and a bunch of scrubs

bigfan
01-23-2017, 11:33 AM
watching Smith reminds me I need to go take a big dump about now.

GSH
01-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Well this real-life cartoon character is getting a lot of attention here lately. Mission accomplished.

Tomorrow he'll say that Tim Duncan is only the 10th best PF in history, and he'll get another gazillion clicks.

01-23-2017, 11:55 AM
He's a good system coach/gm and can adapt to the era but his reluctance to make minute in-game/series adjustments has been a pretty glaring flaw in his resume.

GSH
01-23-2017, 12:19 PM
He's a good system coach/gm and can adapt to the era but his reluctance to make minute in-game/series adjustments has been a pretty glaring flaw in his resume.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tackk.com/mio/32308849/14096248401192/large.gif

Dre_7
01-23-2017, 12:23 PM

What??

I never see him looking for it. In fact, whenever someone praises him is always quick to say he owes it all to Duncan and he wasn't great, he was just smart enough not to mess it up with Timmy. Or he makes a joke about LeBron owing him money. It is always about the players, especially Timmy.

Pop is the GOAT

Spur|n|Austin
01-23-2017, 12:25 PM

That same resume that has 19 consecutive winning regular seasons, 5 championships, 1,000+ wins, 3x coach of the year, etc. etc.? "Glaring flaw" might be a little strong.

Sometimes you'd think a Spurs player and/or coach would have to walk on water and have zero basketball flaws in order to get the respect they deserve from Spurs fans. It's been laughable in recent years.

Pop is the GOAT

Floyd Pacquiao
01-23-2017, 12:40 PM
The greatest coach of all time doesn't get raped by Lionel Hollins, Alvin Gentry, Scott Brooks and Billy Donovan.

Dre_7
01-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Sometimes you'd think a Spurs player and/or coach would have to walk on water and have zero basketball flaws in order to get the respect they deserve from Spurs fans. It's been laughable in recent years.

:tu

Although it's not Spurs fans that don't respect him. It is Spurs Talk that doesn't respect him (not everyone here of course).

Dre_7
I live in Wisconsin. Most of my family and friends are Bucks fans. I know how fortunate I am as a Spurs fan to have had Pop for 20 some years. I think some people take his greatness for granted. A few years like the Bucks past 10 or so years have been and Spurs fans that hate Pop would realize just how amazing and uncommon the continued greatness of the Spurs in the last 20 years has been. The Spurs haven't had to rebuild since 1996!

TheDoctor
goddam, you're stupid

He isn't. Apa is everything but stupid. Just trolling and you're falling for it.

r0drig0lac
01-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Pop used to be an underrated coach. Now he's overrated. So was Phil and Red. But who really cares who is the best coach of all time and based on what criteria?

basketball fans

TheDoctor
01-23-2017, 12:44 PM
The greatest coach of all time doesn't get raped by Lionel Hollins, Alvin Gentry, Scott Brooks and Billy Donovan.

Glenn Rivers.

01-23-2017, 12:48 PM
That same resume that has 19 consecutive winning regular seasons, 5 championships, 1,000+ wins, 3x coach of the year, etc. etc.? "Glaring flaw" might be a little strong.

When I said "glaring flaw", i didn't mean to imply he isn't a top 3-5 coach all time. Just that he's not infallible.

Dre_7
01-23-2017, 12:50 PM
When I said "glaring flaw", i didn't mean to imply he isn't a top 3-5 coach all time. Just that he's not infallible.

No coach in the history of sports was or is infallible.

philldafunk
01-23-2017, 01:37 PM
Does Pop win if Tim never comes to SA?

Dre_7
01-23-2017, 01:48 PM
Does Pop win if Tim never comes to SA?

Does Phil win if he doesn't have MJ, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe? Does Auerbach win if he doesn't have Russell, Cousy, and Havlicek? Does Pat Riley win if he doesn't have Magic and Kareem?

bklynspursfan
01-23-2017, 01:52 PM
No coach in the history of sports was or is infallible.

Seriously.. It's amazing how much Pop and other Spurs are taken for granted on this site.

Floyd Pacquiao
01-23-2017, 01:53 PM
Glenn Rivers.

Avery Johnson

Floyd Pacquiao
01-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Legend has it Phil Jackson still has Pops balls in a jar stored atop on his cabins fireplace down in Montana

unleashbaynes
01-23-2017, 01:57 PM
Just enjoy it while you can, folks.

TheGreatYacht
01-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Who knows, but he's definitely the best off court coach of all time.

Dre_7
01-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Legend has it Phil Jackson still has Pops balls in a jar stored atop on his cabins fireplace down in Montana

Phil is too busy building a horrible roster in NYC. :lol

GSH
01-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Who knows, but he's definitely the best off court coach of all time.

Just can't let the political shit rest, can you? I'd IP ban your dumb ass, along with all the other cretins who keep trying to drag politics into these threads. It's what you do with cancers - cut 'em out.

HarlemHeat37
01-23-2017, 03:42 PM
He definitely is the GOAT, but all great basketball coaches are overrated, tbh..NBA coaches have limited positive impact on a game compared to other leagues like the NFL(not even close, tbh)..

The game-planning and strategy required in the NFL is in a different universe..Belichick is a coaching God, for example..

TD 21
01-23-2017, 05:02 PM
:lol How are basketball coaches overrated, when casual fans, the vast majority of the media and even many former players constantly criticize and/or downplay their importance, particularly the greater the player(s) they coach? The ones that win championship(s) are seemingly supposed to apologize for coaching greatness, as if it's not the primary ingredient to winning a championship in ANY sport.

Even in the almighty football, where the coaches are made out to be gods, last time I checked there's a correlation between the majority of those that win championship(s): They generally do so with great quarterbacks. I'm not taking anything away from Belichick, but who the hell was he until Brady emerged as one of, if not the greatest quarterback ever?

Pop is the greatest, but like anyone else, that doesn't make him above reproach and from about '14 on, he's gotten too much credit for the Spurs success. It's unheard of for an NBA coach to receive this amount of credit and the fact that he does, is backhanded because what they're really saying is, his players weren't that good, which shows just how ignorant the masses are about prime Duncan, to a lesser extent Ginobili and just how rudimentary their "system" was in the formers prime.

DPG21920
01-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Seriously.. It's amazing how much Pop and other Spurs are taken for granted on this site.

It's really not Spurs fans fault - we are spoiled. I'm not making a joke either.

spurs10
01-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Seriously.. It's amazing how much Pop and other Spurs are taken for granted on this site. Well considering he is the coach of the most winning team of all team sports for the last 19 years makes me not care too much, but you are absolutely correct! Here's to Pop! :toast

Who knows, but he's definitely the best off court coach of all time. That is a given too! Here's to you and Pop again! :toast

TheGreatYacht
01-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Just can't let the political shit rest, can you? I'd IP ban your dumb ass, along with all the other cretins who keep trying to drag politics into these threads. It's what you do with cancers - cut 'em out.
Shut the fuck up faggot. Who said anything about politics, ya triggered fucking pussy

TheGreatYacht
01-23-2017, 05:44 PM
spurs10 is one of the best posters on this site :tu

szkorhetz
01-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Just enjoy it while you can, folks.

Dex
01-23-2017, 05:59 PM
:lmao @ the armchair coaches on this forum who think they know the game better than the guy who is heralded as Top 3 (if not the definitive #1) by NBA coaches and players, the media, and just about anyone else with a brain.

:cry But his adjustments suck.
:cry But he doesn't win the title every year.
:cry But he doesn't bench Parker.

Cry me a river, and take a boat back to the place the Spurs were at before Pop and their five championships.

Chucho
01-23-2017, 06:24 PM

While you're at it, there are these dudes by the names of Avante and Boutons...

You'd be loved and worshiped IMMEDIATELY.

dbestpro
01-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Pop is the Donald Trump of basketball.

GSH
01-23-2017, 06:53 PM
He definitely is the GOAT, but all great basketball coaches are overrated, tbh..NBA coaches have limited positive impact on a game compared to other leagues like the NFL(not even close, tbh)..

The game-planning and strategy required in the NFL is in a different universe..Belichick is a coaching God, for example..

Up to a point. I'm pretty sure a bad coach can have a significant negative impact. Especially a weak coach. So without a good coach, teams go to shit.

I know people here hate Phil Jackson, but don't you think he got more out of Rodman (for instance) than anyone else ever did? Don Nelson and Larry Brown were both pretty damned good about getting a lot of wins out of not so good teams. I don't think there's any doubt that Nelson was responsible for GS knocking the Mavs out in the first round that year. Sloan? His teams were always tough as shit, and that was a direct result of his coaching, IMO.

I just think there aren't very many top-tier coaches, and there is a great big gap between the top tier and everyone else. But I agree that most of them don't have a hell of a lot of impact. As usual, though, GOAT arguments always devolve into the same arguments. Don't disagree, though, that Belichick is something totally different, and better than any other coach.

barbacoataco
01-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Lebron means what he said, but he's also taking a jab at Phil Jackson.

YGWHI
01-23-2017, 08:11 PM
During last years, guys on that show have said things like "Shaq was more explosive than Tim" "Tim didn't have the same level of prime Kobe"...And a week ago, "Kawhi shouldn't be All NBA Starter in the West"

It seem like they only respect Pop and his system...Good for Pop. :tu

100%duncan
01-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Thank you for 2014 Popo

J_Paco
01-23-2017, 08:39 PM

How the fuck can the three greatest coaches in NBA history be "overrated?" They have won a total of 26 championships between them, but somehow they are "overrated."



J_Paco
01-23-2017, 08:43 PM

Yeah, cause when he deflects praise and tells the media/fans to rightfully give it to the players (Timmy, Tony, Manu & Kawhi) that is all for show.

So much stupidity in this fanbase, LMAO.

J_Paco
01-23-2017, 08:48 PM

Yes, because Belicheat does all that gameplanning and strategizing by himself, alone in his office.

������

spurs10
01-23-2017, 09:02 PM
spurs10 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17780) is one of the best posters on this site :tu :toast

Gummi Clutch
01-23-2017, 09:18 PM
already is

Dingle Barry
01-23-2017, 11:23 PM
I saw Phil own Pop too many times to say Pop is the GOAT. Pop can be no. 2.

Dingle Barry
01-23-2017, 11:27 PM
Yes, because Belicheat does all that gameplanning and strategizing by himself, alone in his office.

������

Head coach gets credit for the rest of his staff, too.

bklynspursfan
01-24-2017, 12:04 AM
It's really not Spurs fans fault - we are spoiled. I'm not making a joke either.

You're absolutely right. It's one thing to be spoiled, but some are spoiled AND ungrateful/disrespectful of him & others.

spurraider21
01-24-2017, 12:15 AM
LeGoat dropping truth nukes

poeticism707
01-24-2017, 01:59 AM
Easily.

r0drig0lac
01-24-2017, 06:49 AM
the world agrees .. well, except spurstalk

Blake
01-24-2017, 06:05 PM
I think Larry Brown should get consideration but he never will because he can't seem to stay in one place for more than a couple of years and also seems like an asshole at times

tonight...you
01-24-2017, 06:13 PM
I think Larry Brown should get consideration but he never will because he can't seem to stay in one place for more than a couple of years and also seems like an asshole at times
Agreed.
That man could take shit and turn them into something good. He taught Pop, along with Nellie.
He is just too much of a vagabond...

barbacoataco
01-24-2017, 06:21 PM
The best argument for Pop is that the Spurs have never gone through a rebuilding phase. They have been competitive for 20 years and look to be strong going forward from here. They didn't mortgage their future for one more title run like so many teams.

Spurs fans are WAY spoiled from so much success. They criticize while everyone else praises. Their home fans at games are energy-less. They should wake up and get rowdy again.

tonight...you
01-24-2017, 06:28 PM
The best argument for Pop is that the Spurs have never gone through a rebuilding phase. They have been competitive for 20 years and look to be strong going forward from here. They didn't mortgage their future for one more title run like so many teams.

Spurs fans are WAY spoiled from so much success. They criticize while everyone else praises. Their home fans at games are energy-less. They should wake up and get rowdy again.

That and he's been maintaining the team's success despite being in one of the least desirable and smallest markets in the NBA and end of the rounds picks for the better part of 2 decades.
That means something. People say "he has players!". He made sure they developed into what they became/become. That counts too.

weebo
01-24-2017, 07:43 PM
That kellerman is one dumb shit

lefty
01-25-2017, 12:59 AM

:lol