PDA

View Full Version : Joel Anthony??

bigfan
01-23-2017, 11:20 AM
somebody explain. Saw he signed a 10 day contract.

Spur|n|Austin
01-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Explain what?

Spur|n|Austin
01-23-2017, 12:04 PM
In the wake of Pau's injury Spurs signed Anthony to a 10 day contract. Makes sense, he was here for training camp so he has at least some familiarity of the Spurs system.

I'm guessing this means we won't get to see as much Bertans as we hoped.

AaronY
01-23-2017, 02:36 PM
He is so bad. Hope he never has to get on the court for a single meaningful minute.

Dex
01-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Anthony looked decent in preseason. I believe he was on the cusp with Forbes and Lapro and just didn't make the cut. Hard to know exactly what the FO thought, but this would seem to indicate that was accurate.

Insurance for the Pau injury, and probably will be nothing more than another practice body...maybe see some garbage minutes if he is lucky. Still a good value, imo.

GSH
01-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Anthony looked decent in preseason. I believe he was on the cusp with Forbes and Lapro and just didn't make the cut. Hard to know exactly what the FO thought, but this would seem to indicate that was accurate.

Insurance for the Pau injury, and probably will be nothing more than another practice body...maybe see some garbage minutes if he is lucky. Still a good value, imo.

I remember him looking better than LJC, but not much more than that. But maybe I'd given up paying a lot of attention to him.

I think we all pretty much figured they were going to bring in a 10-day, just to be sure and have a big body available, just in case. If the roster is at full strength, I don't think Joel Anthony does much to improve it. I'd love to see him over-achieve, but he's been around a long time and hasn't shown any signs of over-achieving.

Budkin
01-23-2017, 03:28 PM
He'll put in some serious competition with Kyle Anderson for det forehead title.

Mikeanaro
01-23-2017, 06:09 PM
He'll put in some serious competition with Kyle Anderson for det forehead title.
:lol

Robz4000
01-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Figured he'd be who the Spurs would pick up, I'm fine with it. He's here to be an emergency 5th big and nothing more, albeit he showed some promise in the preseason so there might be some value there.

8FOR!3
01-23-2017, 07:00 PM
What is his game? All I remember from him in Miami was being undersized, a decent defender, average athlete, and not really good at anything else.

Snaq O'Meal
01-23-2017, 07:22 PM
What is his game? All I remember from him in Miami was being undersized, a decent defender, average athlete, and not really good at anything else.

Energy guy. Really active on the boards.

J_Paco
01-23-2017, 08:35 PM
I understand Anthony is a veteran with plenty of NBA experience, but why not sign a younger, more athletic with better size prospect?

I was just wondering earlier today when they would use their open roster spot to sign another big man.

thiste
01-23-2017, 09:10 PM

Ice009
01-24-2017, 05:15 AM
Well, he was known as a defensive big that can rebound and block shots. That's a good thing, but unfortunately he's a little undersized and not sure how his speed is when guarding outside of the paint area?

Maddog
01-24-2017, 07:07 AM
I understand Anthony is a veteran with plenty of NBA experience, but why not sign a younger, more athletic with better size prospect?

I was just wondering earlier today when they would use their open roster spot to sign another big man.

They might still
10 day contract. For now he is perfect. NBA player who knows the system somewhat.

Arcadian
01-24-2017, 07:11 AM
We desperately needed another true center. Dedmon was the only one left after Gasol went down (to the extent that someone can "go down" in a layup line :lol).

Dex
01-24-2017, 05:59 PM
They might still
10 day contract. For now he is perfect. NBA player who knows the system somewhat.

Bingo. Spurs need someone they can plug & play to fill some minutes...just as he did against Brooklyn. If they brought in a prospect, he would be lost within the system for just about the length of time Gasol will be out.

That pretty much boils it down to Anthony or Jean-Charles...and I wouldn't be terribly upset if the latter never played another minute in a true Spurs uniform.

Drom John
01-24-2017, 06:01 PM
The CARMELO for Joel Anthony. (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/joel-anthony/)