View Full Version : General 2017 NBA Draft Discussion

Chinook
01-24-2017, 09:27 AM
Pretty much copying and pasting Bruno's OP from the 2014 thread:

Spurs' 2017 draft picks:
Spurs First round pick
Spurs Second round pick

Players available for the 2017 draft:
International players born in 1995 and college seniors are automatically eligible.
College underclassmen and international players born in 96, 97 or 98 (it doesn't get any more believeable) can enter in the draft.

Key dates:
April TBD: Nike Hoop Summit in Portland.
April 12-15: Portsmouth invitational tournament.
April 23: Early entry eligibility deadline, teams can start workouts with them.
May 9-15: Draft combine in Chicago
May 16: Draft Lottery.
? (assuming early June): Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso.
June 12: Early entry withdrawal deadline.
June 22: NBA Draft in NY.

Links:
Draftexpress
Nbadraft
A blog on European prospects
Espn draft page
Wiki on the lottery
Future draft picks
NCAA players stats
Euroleague players stats

Chinook
01-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Need prospect ideas, people. I think my guy so far is John Collins out of Wake. Is there something huge wrong with him that I don't know about? The dude seems to have the boxes filled in already. But he's considered a fringe-first prospect at best and an undrafted one at worst. Crazy.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-24-2017, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the thread, Chinook. Spurs have Atlanta's top 55 protected pick too, don't they? Obviously very unlikely they finish with a top 5 record, but there's still a chance.

As for prospects, unless they trade the pick, I think they may need to go after someone more ready to play in the backcourt, because they may lose quite a lot of players. Someone like Josh Hart from Villanova perhaps? He's projected in the Spurs range for now.

Drom John
01-24-2017, 05:05 PM
Chinook
1) Check your links.
2) When should I start pages? I have posted for those in our range(s) and think a page for a back to back pick of a U Wash PG would be ridiculous.

Drom John
01-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Chinook
Please rename the Melo Trimble thread "2017," or else ask me to make a new thread.
Why? Because DraftExpress has Trimble #59.

Chinook
01-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557)
Please rename the Melo Trimble thread "2017," or else ask me to make a new thread.
Why? Because DraftExpress has Trimble #59.

My goal is to just have one thread ever for a player on here, so I'll be updating. And you don't have to justify a prospect to me. It costs very little to make a thread, and you never know when a guy's going to become relevant.

Chinook
01-24-2017, 07:02 PM
Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557)
1) Check your links.
2) When should I start pages? I have posted for those in our range(s) and think a page for a back to back pick of a U Wash PG would be ridiculous.

1) I will do that. I also want to know if those are even pertinent links for us to have. I've only used a couple of those, and there may be others that are worthy.
2) You can start them any time. It'll take a bit of time to approve them, because I intend to update the already-made threads from last year first along with the indices.

CGD
01-24-2017, 10:30 PM
What are the needs?

I'm inclined to go for a playmaker/slasher type over a big, and a shotblocking big over a pg.

DPG21920
01-26-2017, 05:32 PM
Spurs don't really have any young bigs so that is always a need. Also, guard, especially one that can create/get to the rim is always needed.

Strategic
01-30-2017, 05:44 PM
John Moon. Probably won't get drafted but looks great for D league step. He plays division 2 but grew several inches in college. Super smart young man with work ethic. 7 footer can shoot.

Marrow
01-30-2017, 10:32 PM
I'm liking Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk...he seems like he can do a bit of everything and due to his limited role at Kansas he will probably fall into our range on draft night.

Playmaker, athletic, he's got good height for the guard position and plays good D

Drom John
02-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Note to myself, update Blossomgame with today's HoopsHabit.

Thomas82
03-02-2017, 10:30 PM
I like Harry Giles (Duke PF) if we can get him. I saw one mock draft with him falling to the Jazz at #30. The other player I like is Bam Adebayo, the center from Kentucky.

Chinook
03-02-2017, 10:59 PM
I'm actually really excited for this draft. If the Spurs do end up having to trade someone like Green or LMA, I hope they get a decent pick out of it. Even the guys projected to go at the top of the second look really good.

Thomas82
03-03-2017, 07:42 AM
I'm actually really excited for this draft. If the Spurs do end up having to trade someone like Green or LMA, I hope they get a decent pick out of it. Even the guys projected to go at the top of the second look really good.

Yeah, I like our chances of getting a solid contributor for the next few years.

Thomas82
03-03-2017, 07:44 AM
Spurs don't really have any young bigs so that is always a need. Also, guard, especially one that can create/get to the rim is always needed.

Harry Giles and Bam Adabayo are my preferences.

Biggems
03-06-2017, 09:45 PM
I'm liking Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk...he seems like he can do a bit of everything and due to his limited role at Kansas he will probably fall into our range on draft night.

Playmaker, athletic, he's got good height for the guard position and plays good D

Why the fuck must they have such complicated names......

Biggems
03-11-2017, 12:48 PM

Could most likely be had with our 2nd.

I have seen Motley from Baylor as our 1st round pick in a few mocks.

Juan
03-12-2017, 02:00 PM
Good draft.

DesignatedT
03-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Wish the Spurs could land Malik Monk. He's a little undersized but would be ideal at the two next to Murray and Leonard.

CGD
03-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Man the more I think about it, this off-season is going to be very complicated. In addition to decisions about who to sign, its an offseason that's going to have to be about the long term future.

For example, as much as I like Danny, if the priority is to get another wing this offseason given deciffencies in the back court it could mean moving on from him to make room in the starting line up. If that's the case do you move Danny at the draft even if you don't know what players are truly in play for free agency yet?

And LMA? If there was ever a time to move him it's before the start of the next season. Does the heart situation impact that?

Chinook
03-13-2017, 07:19 PM
You definitely don't move Green at the draft if the goal is to remain competitive UNLESS you are going to draft someone you think can be a day-one starter at the two. That's not a position wait to fill until later. Danny's more than adequate value at his position. LMA would be signalling a retool, and that's a different matter. You don't need to worry about winning right away and can wait until July to try to replace him.

Marrow
03-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Yeah he seems to have dropped out of the 1st entirely according to the mocks...I think he could easily be had with a 2nd or even picked up as undrafted free agent for summer league

Motley and Swanigan look to be good gets at our pick

DrunkTXLabrat
03-17-2017, 10:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnVxAv3aIoc&feature=youtu.be

Chinook
03-18-2017, 01:32 PM
I got you, DTxLR

eDizzle20
03-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Swanigan is an absolute beast. His draft stock will continue to skyrocket with games like last night. He seems like a Zach Randolph with better range.

DrunkTXLabrat
03-19-2017, 12:54 PM
thanks chinook

Thomas82
03-20-2017, 07:24 AM
We need PGs, wings, and some new blood for our frontcourt. Our approach should be to get the BPA.

BD24
03-21-2017, 12:03 AM
This is a strong drafts for guards. Considering we have one of the worst guard rotations in the league would be a good time to pickup a decent guard.

ace3g
04-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Justin Jackson from UNC

sasaint
04-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Justin Jackson from UNC

Will be gone by the time the Spurs pick. They would have to trade up.

Trueblood
04-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Justin Jackson from UNC

I think he'll be gone but check out Tony Bradley:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/tony-bradley-unc-nba-draft-2017-north-carolina-basketball-final-four-scouting-report/5z6vdu1ac59b162nqyrovcxnv

Young athletic big with an insane wingspan and a nose for offensive rebounds. Seems his only major issue is he lacks confidence. Very team oriented and doesn't want to be in the spotlight or talk to the media. Sounds like a spur!

Thomas82
04-10-2017, 05:21 PM
I think he'll be gone but check out Tony Bradley:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/tony-bradley-unc-nba-draft-2017-north-carolina-basketball-final-four-scouting-report/5z6vdu1ac59b162nqyrovcxnv

Young athletic big with an insane wingspan and a nose for offensive rebounds. Seems his only major issue is he lacks confidence. Very team oriented and doesn't want to be in the spotlight or talk to the media. Sounds like a spur!

He's another one I wouldn't mind having.

outmap
04-10-2017, 09:56 PM
1st rd.
Jonathan Jeane
Anzejs Pasecniks
TJ Leaf
Harry Giles
Semi Ojeleye
Caleb Swanigan
Bam Adebayo

2nd rd.
Josh Hart
Sindarius Thornwell
Frank Mason
Alec Peters

In that order.
This a pretty deep draft.

Chinook
04-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Most excited I've been by a draft in a while. Then again, I really liked the 2014 draft. But as far as I can see who looks interesting, I think there's a great chance that someone will be there who can be part of the future core. Hope PATFO finds that player.

CGD
04-12-2017, 08:53 PM
This might be a good draft to try to snag an extra 2nd rounder.

Chinook
04-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Really liking what I'm seeing from Lessort. He'd be way high on my list if he were two years younger. He'd be a junior in college, so it's not like he's old. But he seems to have so many mental issues with the game that I'd like to stash him in Austin for a year or two. With the entire big-man rotation set to expire by next June (2018), drafting a guy for the (domestic) pipeline would be cool.

Just don't stash him.

SAGirl
04-14-2017, 12:34 AM
I didn't really get into the college season this year.
Kind of abnormal for me, but I get the sense the Spurs already have some young guys this season that they couldn't figure out yet, or find enough time to develop them, who should continue to grow next year and I am more excited to see what Pop can do with Murray, Bertans and Anderson, at this point.

I would go after a wing though.

I really do not like Simmons game. He's just such a low BBIQ player that I can't dig him. There are some things he can bc he's such a tremendous athlete, but other than that there is no substance to his game. He makes a ton of mistakes still, can't shoot, and he's going to be 28 next season with really no upside at this point, probably blocking from playing time someone more deserving, which is what would worry me about re-upping him.

To me, it's not clear he's the best player of any of the 3 above, a lot older and will get paid. I would rather the Spurs draft a wing this season and take my chances. Even if Spurs don't reup Anderson after his rook contract is up next season and decide to go a different direction, drafting a wing this season makes perfect sense to replace his minutes/Simmons/Manu's etc.

But I really haven't looked around and don't know much about this draft. I will start getting more active once the playoffs are over probably.

cd021
04-16-2017, 01:22 PM
This might be a good draft to try to snag an extra 2nd rounder.

Agreed. A lot of interesting players in the early second round along with several teams with multiple picks in that range. Jonathan Jeane would be an interesting project. A 7'2 center with a 7'7 arm span, mobile, and under the age of 20.
Josh Hart (SG) seems like a 3 and D type of player that could fit in with the Spurs

A lot of good big men prospects in this draft tbh

BackHome
04-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Yeah this is the draft for PF/C in the first round I don't see how we won't draft one at our pick. I off course would prefer a SG but at our pick I just don't see anyone good enough not even for draft and stash.

Thomas82
04-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Yeah this is the draft for PF/C in the first round I don't see how we won't draft one at our pick. I off course would prefer a SG but at our pick I just don't see anyone good enough not even for draft and stash.

I'll be happy with either Harry Giles, Bam Adebayo, or Tony Bradley.

Trueblood
04-19-2017, 10:51 AM
I'll be happy with either Harry Giles, Bam Adebayo, or Tony Bradley.

I think all three of these guys would be good late first round value picks but I keep seeing us linked to Caleb Swanigan in a few different mocks. I really hope we avoid that guy. Comes from a rough home (his brother was a great prospect but got involved in a shooting where he lost an eye) and he's been chronically overweight his whole life. It is awesome and a testament to his work ethic that he went on this diet and workout routine between his freshman and sophomore seasons to try and improve his draft stock, but I feel like one season of being in the land of Whataburger and breakfast tacos would cause him to blow back up (a la Blair). No more pre season weigh-in fears (I'm looking at you Diaw)

Thomas82
04-19-2017, 01:32 PM
I think all three of these guys would be good late first round value picks but I keep seeing us linked to Caleb Swanigan in a few different mocks. I really hope we avoid that guy. Comes from a rough home (his brother was a great prospect but got involved in a shooting where he lost an eye) and he's been chronically overweight his whole life. It is awesome and a testament to his work ethic that he went on this diet and workout routine between his freshman and sophomore seasons to try and improve his draft stock, but I feel like one season of being in the land of Whataburger and breakfast tacos would cause him to blow back up (a la Blair). No more pre season weigh-in fears (I'm looking at you Diaw)

Yeah, I hope we can avoid Caleb Swanigan as well. We don't need anymore tweeners right now.

duncan2150
04-20-2017, 03:44 AM
Happy to see he's recovering. Spurs are in an awkward position with him. He hasn't shown enough to have him in the future plans. But he still has enough potential to where he could be a rotation player soon. So should the Spurs hesitate to draft a big? The front court will likely be okay for another year, and Nikola and Cady might have chances to earning a rotation spot. The back court needs new blood, even with Murray. So if the Spurs are at 29 and both Hart and a big like Adebayo or Lessort are there, where does the team go? Should they big a third project big or a rotation-ready two?

Decisions, decisions.

I bring Chinook's post here because i think it's interesting.

Imo the biggest need is for the Spurs is a SG or SF who can replace Manu but it will also depend on Mills, Dedmond, Lee situations. Exepts if someone they really like( Adebayo?) fell to them, i guess the spurs will take a 2 or 3. I like Donovan Mitchell or Og Anunoby, Dewayne Bacon seems interesting too.

I'm not sold on the bigs in this draft, looks like there are good projets ( Anigbogu could be one) but not something that become evident.

CGD
04-20-2017, 08:33 AM
I mentioned in the other thread that I'd try to flip the 29 for Philly's or Orlando's two early 2nds. Get more bang for the buck in a deep draft, and hope the Spurs scouting team continues to be better than most at finding good talent late.

They likely to nab Hart AND that project big they need, while bringing in Multinov

Thomas82
04-22-2017, 12:13 PM
I bring Chinook's post here because i think it's interesting.

Imo the biggest need is for the Spurs is a SG or SF who can replace Manu but it will also depend on Mills, Dedmond, Lee situations. Exepts if someone they really like( Adebayo?) fell to them, i guess the spurs will take a 2 or 3. I like Donovan Mitchell or Og Anunoby, Dewayne Bacon seems interesting too.

I'm not sold on the bigs in this draft, looks like there are good projets ( Anigbogu could be one) but not something that become evident.

If one of the bigs projected to go in the lottery falls down to us, I would think we have to take him.

BD24
04-25-2017, 04:52 PM
We need to either draft a wing or a guard. Our back court is a mess. Perfect scenario would be someone who could play the 2 and the 3. Manu will(praying) be gone next year and Parker will continue his downward spiral. Juice has shone glimpses here and there, but don't see him as a long term option due to his age. Danny is an ok starter if we can get a better playmaker at the 1. Patty most likely won't be back next year as he has indicated he wants to start and that isn't(and shouldn't) happen here in SA. As much hate as Kyle gets(most of it rightfully so) he has shown to be a decent backup 3 if we can get some other good players out there with him.

Next year the backcourt will likely be
Parker Murray
Green ?
Kawhi Fat Head

The obvious hole is the two slot. If we can get a guy who can play the 2 and the 3 though that would be fantastic. Doesn't neccesarily need to be a creator/playmaker since Murray is fairly good in that role.

Just my two cents.

BackHome
04-25-2017, 07:11 PM
I agree but I think the best player available to us when we draft will be either a Center or a PF.

Thomas82
04-26-2017, 04:53 AM
I agree but I think the best player available to us when we draft will be either a Center or a PF.

I believe the same thing.

Chinook
04-26-2017, 07:23 AM
That's what I'm saying. And if Nikola were tearing it up like Zizic is, then maybe I'd go against BPA. But he hasn't been good enough for me to let him get in away of drafting a good big, even in light of the team needing a guard.

duncan2150
04-26-2017, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure that the BPA will be a big, you have a lot of wings projected in our range tough it's a little bit early to have a good mock : Mitchell, Bacon, Jackson, Iwundu, Hart.....

I agree with Chinook about Mulitinov, he shows some really good things lately but he needs to play and another year in Greece will be very good for him.

But in the other hand i'm not sur that a big in this draft will be better than him.

As i said if we go for a big, i want an energic/athletic one and Adebayo or Anigbogu are my choices.

BackHome
04-26-2017, 04:44 PM
What do you all think of Yurtseven he seems like a good athletic big who is good defender and rebounder.

duncan2150
04-28-2017, 04:35 AM
Don't know Yourtseven a lot but looks like he has some potentiel and a nice touch around the rim. Looks like a little bit soft by the way.

venitian navigator
04-29-2017, 02:31 AM
imho part of the potential hole at the two guard will be solved with the Hanga signing...he already expressed his will to come to nba next year and should be signed with a contract a la Bertans.
He is a good athlete and good defensive player...imho more than adequate to replace, in case, the Simmons role.

So this should leave a more open mind about the draft and we could go with the best player available...

The point is that we are already full with young and developable players (Murray, Bertans, Anderson) with good but probably not all star potential (except maybe for Murray).

We need big quality young players to develop next to Kiwi...and usually this doesn't came with a 29 draft choice ...but can came, thanks for good scouting and a clear mind on what is compatible with our team, as we all well know, with a top 15 draft choice...

I wonder if our staff has already some player in their mind worth to trade up...

Thomas82
04-29-2017, 02:45 AM
Chad Ford's latest mock has us taking Michigan PF DJ Wilson with our 1st round pick.

bluebellmaniac
04-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Frank Ntilikina. Make it happen.

picnroll
04-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Need to post Hamiduo Diallo as a draft prospect swing for a possible home run.

CGD
04-29-2017, 08:42 PM
imho part of the potential hole at the two guard will be solved with the Hanga signing...he already expressed his will to come to nba next year and should be signed with a contract a la Bertans.
He is a good athlete and good defensive player...imho more than adequate to replace, in case, the Simmons role.

So this should leave a more open mind about the draft and we could go with the best player available...

The point is that we are already full with young and developable players (Murray, Bertans, Anderson) with good but probably not all star potential (except maybe for Murray).

We need big quality young players to develop next to Kiwi...and usually this doesn't came with a 29 draft choice ...but can came, thanks for good scouting and a clear mind on what is compatible with our team, as we all well know, with a top 15 draft choice...

I wonder if our staff has already some player in their mind worth to trade up...

I don't know man, outside of Murray there really isn't a guy that can break down the defense and create on a regular basis. That's the issue IMO and why we become so stagnant/Kawahi dependent.

The hope is/was Simmons could do that but he's been irregular. Murray has shown flashes but that's a lot to put on him as a second year man. Hanga seems to have a ceiling as a 3/D guys at the NBA level, which is useful (finally a decent back up to Kawahi!) but still doesn't address the gap in my opinion.

I think they go best available. I wouldn't be pissed if it's a big, but I hope the best available is a guard that can play picknroll.

MaNu4Tres
04-30-2017, 08:27 AM
The value at the end of the 1st is at the 4/5.

With that being said, I really like Jordan Bell more than any other big around 29.

As for wings, the wing I like most is Wesley Iwundu. I love his length, his skillset on both ends and his ability to play-make. If Spurs can move up in the 2nd round to grab Iwundu after they draft Jordan Bell at 29 -- I'd be a happy happy Spurs fan.

picnroll
04-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Spurs should never draft a big man again as long as Pop and Buford run the draft process. They ABSOLUTELY suck at drafting and developing big men. Since the Duncan draft, in The Pop and RC reign they have drafted:
1999 - Leon Smith (bust)
2001 - Robertas Javtokas (raw, injured, never an NBA player)
2002 - Luis Stola (available because he was encumbered by a European contract and never signed by the Spurs)
2004 - Sergei Karaulov (bust)
2005 - Ian Mahinimi ( eventually became a mediocre NBA big well after let go by the Spurs)
2006 - Damir Markota - bust
2007 - Tiago Splitter (available because he was encumbered by a European contract, took years to get over); Giorgos Printezis (bust)
2008 - Dejuan Blair ( had a couple of mediocre years)
2009 - Ryan Richards (bust)
2013 - Livio Jan Charles (bust)
2014 - Cory Jefferson (bust)
2015 - Nikola Multinov, Cady Lalanne (pending busts)

What a stellar collection of crap. Doubt you can find another NBA team with such poor production of big men. Couldn't even identify a good one like Jamychal Green when they had him.

Meanwhile Spurs have identified Parker, Ginobili, Hill, Udrih, Salmons, deColo, Joseph, Anderson, and Murray in the SF, SG, PG positions. Dragic and Barbosa were also drafted but for other teams.

MaNu4Tres
04-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Spurs should never draft a big man again as long as Pop and Buford run the draft process. They ABSOLUTELY suck at drafting and developing big men. Since the Duncan draft, in The Pop and RC reign they have drafted:
1999 - Leon Smith (bust)
2002 - Luis Stola (available because he was encumbered by a European contract and never signed by the Spurs)
2005 - Ian Mahinimi ( eventually became a mediocre NBA big well after let go by the Spurs)
2007 - Tiago Splitter (available because he was encumbered by a European contract, took years to get over); Giorgos Printezis (bust)

What a stellar collection of crap. Doubt you can find another NBA team with such poor production of big men. Couldn't even identify a good one like Jamychal Green when they had him.

Meanwhile Spurs have identified Parker, Ginobili, Hill, Udrih, Salmons, deColo, Joseph, Anderson, and Murray in the SF, SG, PG positions. Dragic and Barbosa were also drafted but for other teams.

Most of those were late 2nd round picks. Most of those picks are busts.

picnroll
04-30-2017, 12:12 PM
Most of those were late 2nd round picks. Most of those picks are busts.

Leon Smith, Mahinmi, Splitter, Charles, Multinov. One out of five first round bigs doing jack for the Spurs in the NBA I'd say is pretty sucky.

Drom John
04-30-2017, 03:58 PM
Need to post Hamiduo Diallo as a draft prospect swing for a possible home run.

Thread created last week waiting for moderator approval.

SAGirl
04-30-2017, 04:52 PM
1999 - Leon Smith (bust)

Good comprehensive post. They missed Gobert which was available and was a picked with a purchased pick just one spot above Spurs... missed Jokic too. I am sure there are others probably that I am missing.

MaNu4Tres
04-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Leon Smith, Mahinmi, Splitter, Charles, Multinov. One out of five first round bigs doing jack for the Spurs in the NBA I'd say is pretty sucky.

Mahinmi and Splitter were quality NBA bigs. Milutinov is unknown sitll. Jean Charles was a bust, but he tore up his ACL and didn't work very hard like Bertans.

Leon Smith was a bust as well, but that was 18 yrs ago. Spurs have implemented much more resources to their scouting department since then. So I don't count Leon Smith.

With that being said, Spurs are 2 for 3 with 1 still unknown. Not bad for late 1st round picks.

picnroll
04-30-2017, 06:35 PM
Mahinmi and Splitter were quality NBA bigs. Milutinov is unknown sitll. Jean Charles was a bust, but he tore up his ACL and didn't work very hard like Bertans.

Leon Smith was a bust as well, but that was 18 yrs ago. Spurs have implemented much more resources to their scouting department since then. So I don't count Leon Smith.

With that being said, Spurs are 2 for 3 with 1 still unknown. Not bad for late 1st round picks.

A successful Spurs' draft pick has to actually contribute something to the Spurs, like actually play for the Spursin a meaningful way or be used in a productive trade. What exactly did Mahinmi do for the Spurs other than waste some development resources? Far as I can recall Pop and RC were making the calls when Smith was picked so he's on their resume. Multinov has been less than stellar as an NBA prospect to date unlike a guy like Aziz. I'd say pending bust to date.

Chinook
05-01-2017, 07:01 AM
1999 - Leon Smith (bust)

Javtokas -- great pick, but just never wanted to come over
Scola -- great pick, just didn't work out
Mahinmi -- good pick who had bad luck; one of a number of players who had talent but couldn't be developed.
Splitter -- the Spurs could have brought him over in 2008 had his sister not gotten sick. They probably would have brought him over immediately in today's NBA.
Blair -- One of the best picks the team had made outside of their stars. Tremendous value for a second-rounder.
Jefferson -- immediately traded to Philly in a pre-arranged deal. Looks as good as any late-second player, though.
Milutinov -- looks like he'll be fine for his draft slot, though he really should come over.

picnroll
05-01-2017, 07:57 AM
The only one I'll give as a short term contributor to the Spurs was Splitter and a coffee cup from Blair.
For an eternity Spurs have lived off of non-drafted bigs, Lee, Detmon, Gasol, West, Diaw, Mohammed, Baynes Bonner McDyess Ratliff, Oberto, Nesterovic, Elson.

Drafting a big for the Spurs has been a waste. Even more so now that the game is moving toward emphasizing perimeter play rather than low post offense.

MaNu4Tres
05-01-2017, 09:07 AM
The only one I'll give as a short term contributor to the Spurs was Splitter and a coffee cup from Blair.
For an eternity Spurs have lived off of non-drafted bigs, Lee, Detmon, Gasol, West, Diaw, Mohammed, Baynes Bonner McDyess Ratliff, Oberto, Nesterovic, Elson.

Drafting a big for the Spurs has been a waste. Even more so now that the game is moving toward emphasizing perimeter play rather than low post offense.

Who said Spurs should draft a big who is good in the low post?

Spurs need to draft a versatile, mobile defender who can step out and defend the PnR and protect the interior. That is Jordan Bell.

For a big in todays game, value is tied to their ability to defend not only in the paint, but in space. And on the offensive end, finish inside off different angles or versions of the PnR. Spurs don't need a big man to post up.

mo7888
05-01-2017, 09:46 AM
I like Jordan Bell as a 2nd Rd Pick. If I were going to take a big in the late 1st I would look for a guy that is younger (Bell is 22) and who has a solid 3 point stroke to go along with length and shot blocking ability. As a 2nd round pick though I'd be pretty high on Bell because he does a lot of things that translates into today's game and if Chip could develop his outside stroke then he'd be a steal.

picnroll
05-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Who said Spurs should draft a big who is good in the low post?

Spurs need to draft a versatile, mobile defender who can step out and defend the PnR and protect the interior. That is Jordan Bell.

For a big in todays game, value is tied to their ability to defend not only in the paint, but in space. And on the offensive end, finish inside off different angles or versions of the PnR. Spurs don't need a big man to post up.

You mean the Spurs should recognize and pick a talent like Jamychal Green.

buttsR4rebounding
05-01-2017, 12:09 PM
A successful Spurs' draft pick has to actually contribute something to the Spurs, like actually play for the Spursin a meaningful way or be used in a productive trade. What exactly did Mahinmi do for the Spurs other than waste some development resources? Far as I can recall Pop and RC were making the calls when Smith was picked so he's on their resume. Multinov has been less than stellar as an NBA prospect to date unlike a guy like Aziz. I'd say pending bust to date.

Ian was as much a failure of the Spurs medical team. The year he missed because of a missed diagnosis was key. He would have gotten big minutes that year and would have benefited greatly.

BackHome
05-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Javtokas He would have been a stud if had not totaled his bike and body in a wreck.

sasaint
05-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Ian was as much a failure of the Spurs medical team. The year he missed because of a missed diagnosis was key. He would have gotten big minutes that year and would have benefited greatly.

Please remind me what the missed diagnosis was and what the real issue was. That was a very frustrating year. Mahinmi had shown some great athleticism in brief stints prior to his health issue.

objective
05-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Please remind me what the missed diagnosis was and what the real issue was. That was a very frustrating year. Mahinmi had shown some great athleticism in brief stints prior to his health issue.

from memory: The summer after his rookie year, Mahinmi participated in a big man's camp and severely sprained his ankle there.

The ankle seemed to give Ian repeated trouble and never get better. X-Rays and MRIs didn't show anything, and of course that might have led some in the coaching staff and front office to believe that Ian was soft or not committed to working hard.

Eventually, well into the season, there was exploratory surgery, and it found loose bone chips in his ankle that hadn't shown up in the other tests. He wasn't soft at all, or being a whiner, or not working hard, it was bone chips messing up his ankle. It was so late in the season that the recovery time meant his year was over.

sasaint
05-06-2017, 11:08 PM
from memory: The summer after his rookie year, Mahinmi participated in a big man's camp and severely sprained his ankle there.

The ankle seemed to give Ian repeated trouble and never get better. X-Rays and MRIs didn't show anything, and of course that might have led some in the coaching staff and front office to believe that Ian was soft or not committed to working hard.

Eventually, well into the season, there was exploratory surgery, and it found loose bone chips in his ankle that hadn't shown up in the other tests. He wasn't soft at all, or being a whiner, or not working hard, it was bone chips messing up his ankle. It was so late in the season that the recovery time meant his year was over.

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I always believed that had the Spurs gambled with him and re-signed him he would have become a much better player than he eventually became. He showed real promise his rookie year.

BackHome
05-08-2017, 05:37 PM
In this draft the best PG will be gone by 14th pick. The best players for when we pick will probably be PF or C

Trueblood
05-09-2017, 07:21 AM
In this draft the best PG will be gone by 14th pick. The best players for when we pick will probably be PF or C

They have a couple good wing prospects in our range but all this speculation seems moot since PATFO will pick their highest rated player that falls to them (i.e. Murray and Anderson). I don't think they get a guy ranked in the 26-30 range, they'll be looking for value picks (guys who fall from the 21-25 range or earlier that fall to them) but we won't know who those guys are till draft night when we see which guy starts slipping. If none of those guys they like fall to them then they'll either
A) draft and stash or
B) trade down for a pair of second rounders
Either way the Spurs look for value picks and will rarely look for right guy right price.
While I hope a wing falls to us I actually agree with your take that we'll end up with a PF/C and if that's the case I am hopeful that it's either Been Adebayo or Harry Giles. I really doubt either of them fall that fast though.

SAGirl
05-09-2017, 03:30 PM
They have a couple good wing prospects in our range but all this speculation seems moot since PATFO will pick their highest rated player that falls to them (i.e. Murray and Anderson). I don't think they get a guy ranked in the 26-30 range, they'll be looking for value picks (guys who fall from the 21-25 range or earlier that fall to them) but we won't know who those guys are till draft night when we see which guy starts slipping. If none of those guys they like fall to them then they'll either
A) draft and stash or
B) trade down for a pair of second rounders
Either way the Spurs look for value picks and will rarely look for right guy right price.
While I hope a wing falls to us I actually agree with your take that we'll end up with a PF/C and if that's the case I am hopeful that it's either Been Adebayo or Harry Giles. I really doubt either of them fall that fast though.
Good opinion.
I tend to agree.
Thanks for sharing. You also have it right in that both Anderson and Murray were ranked higher than 29-30 the year they were drafted. And in recent seasons when Spurs didn't find a value pick they decided to draft and stash some guy that looked like a second rounder but that they liked and could stash. (Milutinov and LJC).

BackHome
05-12-2017, 09:58 PM
I really like Yurtseven he is young (19) but is already a great defender/shot blocker/rebounder all he needs is to add some weights. He is mobile and can help out on pick and roll defense and good perimeter defender.

MaNu4Tres
05-13-2017, 02:02 AM
Use the 29th on Jordan Bell. He's exactly the type of player the Spurs need to move forward.

duncan2150
05-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Some news about spurs draft :

Adam Zagoria: Duke’s Frank Jackson told me he’s met with Boston, San Antonio, Charlotte, Utah, New Orleans, Detroit, Sacramento & the Knicks.

(http://hoopshype.com/social/)Vincent Ellis: Michigan’s D.J. Wilson says he interviewed with the #Pistons. Injured quad on 1st day of workouts with #Spurs. (http://hoopshype.com/social/) Also worked out for #Jazz.

(http://hoopshype.com/social/) Adam Zagoria: Kennedy Meeks says he’s only met with the Spurs (http://hoopshype.com/social/).

Use the 29th on Jordan Bell. He's exactly the type of player the Spurs need to move forward.

I like Bell too with Adebayo, Anugbogu they are good inside prospect.... in our range Lessort or Motley seems good too.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/nba-combine-competitive-action-recap-day-one-5928/ Interesting about Bell.

keithington1
05-13-2017, 06:24 PM
I like Juwan Evans (even tho Dj is our future), Frank Jackson, and Hamidou Diallo (project). These guys can come of the bench or play alongside DJ. With parker hurt, Ginobili retiring, Simmons and Mills going to FA.

I think we need an insurance wing with playmaking ability. I do like Bell to replace Dedmon.

BackHome
05-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Isn't Bell like 6'7 tall?

apalisoc_9
05-13-2017, 08:46 PM
Isn't Bell like 6'7 tall?

Also listed as 225. He's lighter than Kawhi.

A bit worrisome.

duncan2150
05-14-2017, 03:54 AM
Yes he's 6'7 wo shoes and 6'8 with shoes. Also a 6'11.75 wingspan.

Thornwell met with at least 14 teams this past week, (http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-mens-basketball/article150407492.html) including San Antonio, Orlando, Miami, Brooklyn, Denver, Golden State, Milwaukee, Detroit, Portland, Atlanta and Dallas. He knew of at least one private workout scheduled with the Trail Blazers.

BackHome
05-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Wow Draft Net has us taking Yurtseven...:)

cd021
05-15-2017, 02:08 PM
I like Juwan Evans (even tho Dj is our future), Frank Jackson, and Hamidou Diallo (project). These guys can come of the bench or play alongside DJ. With parker hurt, Ginobili retiring, Simmons and Mills going to FA.

I think we need an insurance wing with playmaking ability. I do like Bell to replace Dedmon.

Really like Diallo as a prospect

He's super young (doesn't turn 19 till a month after the draft, he only be 22 by the end of his rookie deal), freakishly long and athletic. Apparently has a lot of defensive potential and can attack the rim off the dribble.

Also like

Parsecknicks and Adebayo both look like two very solid big prospects.

joeyjfive
05-15-2017, 03:10 PM
http://nbadraft.theringer.com.

Nobody really knows how the draft will go or who the Spurs will draft but I the link is a nice little piece for info on guys later in draft imo for those of us who don't really watch college ball.

With that said I'm in the camp that the Spurs need to draft a big who is versatile defensively. Specifically on the switch. We will most likely have another year of Pau and I think Dedmon will walk. So I think it'd be a good idea to get a big now and start working on him. Murray and Simmons are showing the potential we can have defensively as a team. All we need is another big that can hold it down defensively while LMA is resting.

I think Jordan Bell is a good option. Great timing, he's older so Spurs might see him as more mature and he isn't projected too high by many people.

DAF86
05-16-2017, 03:43 PM
How much do you think Otto Porter will get? I know it's impossible but still...

And what about Bogdanovic? Wizards have some interesting free agent wings on the market.

CGD
05-16-2017, 10:19 PM
Phoenix falling out of top 3 is Interesting. Spurs have to at least call about LMA now.

venitian navigator
05-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Phoenix falling out of top 3 is Interesting. Spurs have to at least call about LMA now.

completely agree...expecially if lma keeps playing this way...

CGD
05-16-2017, 11:47 PM
In another thread I wondered if this would get a trade for #4 done:

- LMA to PHX
- Spurs get #4 but take back Knight's shitty deal + filler (Len or Dudley)

Would love to get Bender instead of the filler but think that might be too rich.

venitian navigator
05-17-2017, 05:35 AM
IN Lma Phoenix take exactly what they need to became a play off team. That was the plan when they tried to sign him two years ago. Today they didn't have had good answers from Len as a big and probably they don't plan to re-sign him.
Bledsoe, Booker, Warren, Lma, Chandler
Ulis, Barbosa, Dudley, Chriss, Bender

With players like Chandler and Bledsoe, if they want to exploit their potential, the time is now.

Spurs, on the other end, needs new blood for exploiting Leonard's prime (next five years) and cap space for signing or re-signing their young players (Simmons, Mills, Deadmon, in this order).

Lma for the 4 is, imho, a win win trade for both teams...(obviously, only if the spurs thinks ther's someone they like at the 4...)

Chinook
05-17-2017, 10:05 AM

- LMA to PHX

Would love to get Bender instead of the filler but think that might be too rich.

Would probably need to be LMA for 4, Knight and Chandler.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Would probably need to be LMA for 4, Knight and Chandler.

Who do you like for SA at 4?

If you don't LOVE anyone, would you like to use the 4th to trade down to like POR for their 15th, 20th and next yrs 1st?

Chinook
05-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Who do you like for SA at 4?

If you don't LOVE anyone, would you like to use the 4th to trade down to like POR for their 15th, 20th and next yrs 1st?

I don't like that value, though I would be fine coming out of the draft with John Collins at 15. The real issue is that 15 should be the worst asset in the package, and it's easily the best.

At four, you can hope that one of the top two guys falls. If they don't you try to sell Fox or Jackson to any of the five or so teams below you. If they balk, you take Isaac or Fox (or whomever else PATFO likes the most) and be done with it. I'm not doing a blind trade down that far for anything less that an unprotected pick from a team projected to be bad.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2017, 01:05 PM
I don't like that value, though I would be fine coming out of the draft with John Collins at 15. The real issue is that 15 should be the worst asset in the package, and it's easily the best.

At four, you can hope that one of the top two guys falls. If they don't you try to sell Fox or Jackson to any of the five or so teams below you. If they balk, you take Isaac or Fox (or whomever else PATFO likes the most) and be done with it. I'm not doing a blind trade down that far for anything less that an unprotected pick from a team projected to be bad.

What if PATFO has a board that has balance from 4-20 ( outside of Jackson). What if they really love 3 guys projected to go 15-25 more than Foxx, Tatum, Monk, Isaac?

Chinook
05-17-2017, 01:11 PM
What if PATFO has a board that has balance from 4-20 ( outside of Jackson). What if they really love 3 guys projected to go 15-25 more than Foxx, Tatum, Monk, Isaac?

I'd think it weird. NBA teams tend not to be that far out of alignment. It's entirely possible for three guys they really like to happen to fall. But even someone like Kawhi wasn't projected in the range in which he went.

In either event, I don't think it's good value, even though it could obviously work out for them. I don't think 15, 20 and 29 is a good start to reload.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2017, 01:18 PM
I'd think it weird. NBA teams tend not to be that far out of alignment. It's entirely possible for three guys they really like to happen to fall. But even someone like Kawhi wasn't projected in the range in which he went.

In either event, I don't think it's good value, even though it could obviously work out for them. I don't think 15, 20 and 29 is a good start to reload.

I see LA as a role player these days. I don't think getting rid of him means Spurs are blowing it up or reloading. I think if Spurs don't think highly of 4-10 outside of Jackson, they'd be better off getting 15th, 20th and next yrs 1st ( have it unprotected).

And I don't think Spurs put too much into DE mock boards or mock boards in general. Their board could be entirely different than the norm. So guys slated to go 15-20 could easily be in Spurs top 10. IE: When Hill was drafted, many saw him goiing in high to mid 2nd round. Spurs didn't care about perceived value. They got their guy.

Chinook
05-17-2017, 01:31 PM
I see LA as a role player these days. I don't think getting rid of him means Spurs are blowing it up or reloading. I think if Spurs don't think highly of 4-10 outside of Jackson, they'd be better off getting 15th, 20th and next yrs 1st ( have it unprotected).

And I don't think Spurs put too much into DE mock boards or mock boards in general. Their board could be entirely different than the norm. That's why you saw them reach to draft George Hill in 09'.

After 25 or so is real crap-shoot territory. We're talking about fourth-overall here. It's not very likely that the Spurs will not think anyone is worth a top-10 pick while teams are willing to trade a ton to get up to their spot. It's somewhat possible for them to not be interested in a guy due to his position (like MAYBE Jackson), but they're likely not the only team that would understand there's no talent up there.

So then you get the effect to where a bunch of teams would rather be at 10-20 rather than 4-9. Not only does this discourage trading up, but it also means that teams will want to move into the top 10 to get ahead of the pack. That means the Spurs' pick might be valuable (but not as much as you'd think), But it also means that they aren't as likely to get their "better value" players anymore.

Remember how much secrecy they had with Kawhi? Imagine that with like three players. Just not sustainable.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2017, 02:27 PM
After 25 or so is real crap-shoot territory. We're talking about fourth-overall here. It's not very likely that the Spurs will not think anyone is worth a top-10 pick while teams are willing to trade a ton to get up to their spot. It's somewhat possible for them to not be interested in a guy due to his position (like MAYBE Jackson), but they're likely not the only team that would understand there's no talent up there.

So then you get the effect to where a bunch of teams would rather be at 10-20 rather than 4-9. Not only does this discourage trading up, but it also means that teams will want to move into the top 10 to get ahead of the pack. That means the Spurs' pick might be valuable (but not as much as you'd think), But it also means that they aren't as likely to get their "better value" players anymore.

Remember how much secrecy they had with Kawhi? Imagine that with like three players. Just not sustainable.

We are debating on variables we don't know about.

I'm just stating the hypothetical that if Spurs don't see the value for their roster at 4, they may be wanting to trade down and increase the odds on hitting by getting the 15th, 20th and next years first.

Every team has different variables and different things they are looking for.

TD 21
05-17-2017, 04:00 PM

- LMA to PHX

Unless they decide to go with Fox and shop Bledsoe for veteran help, I could see this interesting the Suns. Jackson or more likely Tatum is expected to be the consensus best available at 4 and though they're both better prospects than Warren, the difference probably isn't enough to turn down expediting their re-build (especially considering McDonough is probably close to losing his job) and salary dumping an unwanted contract in the process.

I'm actually less certain this would interest the Spurs. Neither Jackson or Tatum would make much sense, unless they think one or either could eventually transition into more of a full time power forward (Tatum is more likely). Depending on how high they are on Murray, they could go with Fox and offer Murray for any of picks 19 (Hawks), 21 (Thunder), or 22 (Nets), respectively, as all are in need of a backup point guard. Then they could a big with that pick.

I don't want Knight, but he'd actually be a good fit. He'd alleviate the need to re-sign Mills, serve as a placeholder starter and work on and off the ball alongside Leonard.

objective
05-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Knight for Aldridge works salary wise under the new CBA in the trade machine.

Don't see Chandler ever being involved when he was who Aldridge wanted to play with in the first place.

Chinook
05-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Knight for Aldridge works salary wise under the new CBA in the trade machine.

Don't see Chandler ever being involved when he was who Aldridge wanted to play with in the first place.

With the bigs the Suns drafted, I don't think they want to keep Chandler.

Thomas82
05-17-2017, 05:17 PM
I see Chad Ford's latest mock draft has us picking 7'2" French center Jonathan Jeanne at #29.

CGD
05-17-2017, 07:23 PM
With the bigs the Suns drafted, I don't think they want to keep Chandler.

Tend to agree except one of the reasons they signed him obstensibly was to pair with LMA so who knows.

I'd love to snag Bender in the trade, but that'd be hard unless the Spurs make a big stink about how shitty Knights deal (which it is). Probably more realistic is Dudley to make salary work.

eDizzle20
05-17-2017, 11:54 PM
No way the Suns would trade their #4 pick to the Spurs for a soon to be 32 year-old big man in LMA whom has shown to be inconsistent. I think the Bucks would make a lot of sense for LMA as right now their only go to option is Giannis. I would package something like Henson, #17 draft pick, and 2018 draft pick top 20 protected for LMA. The Bucks would be a top 4 team in the weak Eastern conference. Teams will be hesitant to trade for Aldridge given his heart condition.

Chinook
05-18-2017, 11:45 AM
This should also be the automatic eligibility year for our old friend George de Paula. Wouldn't mind seeing them use a second on him and stashing him in Austin just to see what they have.

jyra
05-18-2017, 12:13 PM
This should also be the automatic eligibility year for our old friend George de Paula. Wouldn't mind seeing them use a second on him and stashing him in Austin just to see what they have.

He turns 21 next week so he should have another season before the auto eligibility kicks in. I like the idea of a big defensive minded PG but it looks like he hasn't made much progress on the offensive end (shooting percentages of 38/32/75 make it hard to get even slightly intrigued).

Edit: Ignore the first part, missed the professionally playing bit.

apalisoc_9
05-18-2017, 12:18 PM
I really don't get the facination with aquiring the best prospects over quantity specially with the D-league around. If the spurs somehow trade for the 4th pick giving up Aldridge a I would trade that pick for Multiple other picks in the 15-20 range in addition to the spurs pick.

How many top 5 picks did the warriors have in their 73 win team roster? Most of their guys are developed players.

But I am more and more leaning towards keeping Aldridge if the Suns is the only ideal trading partner. They're not giving up Bledsoe. They're.going to try to dump two players that I hate at this point of their careers. Chandler and Knight. Makes me want to vomit.

Jdspur20
05-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Wow Draft Net has us taking Yurtseven...:)

I think this kid would be a steal. Let him play in Austin for a year then call him up

Chinook
05-18-2017, 01:00 PM
He turns 21 next week so he should have another season before the auto eligibility kicks in. I like the idea of a big defensive minded PG but it looks like he hasn't made much progress on the offensive end (shooting percentages of 38/32/75 make it hard to get even slightly intrigued).

Edit: Ignore the first part, missed the professionally playing bit.

No, you're right that he's still a bit too young. I don't think he even entered his name in this time. Shame for him, as he really should have been drafted the first year he was eligible

CGD
05-18-2017, 07:14 PM
No way the Suns would trade their #4 pick to the Spurs for a soon to be 32 year-old big man in LMA whom has shown to be inconsistent. I think the Bucks would make a lot of sense for LMA as right now their only go to option is Giannis. I would package something like Henson, #17 draft pick, and 2018 draft pick top 20 protected for LMA. The Bucks would be a top 4 team in the weak Eastern conference. Teams will be hesitant to trade for Aldridge given his heart condition.

I don't know, that Knight contract is pretty shitty and they have a bit of a log jam at the guard positions too.

CGD
05-18-2017, 10:13 PM
Miami at 14 might be another LMA destination since he met with Riley and they usually don't care about the draft. They might find the appeal in a Winslow/LMA/Whitesode front court.

Would need something else back in return though like their unprotected first next year.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-19-2017, 06:17 AM
Miami at 14 might be another LMA destination since he met with Riley and they usually don't care about the draft. They might find the appeal in a Winslow/LMA/Whitesode front court.

Would need something else back in return though like their unprotected first next year.

Miami owe their 2018 pick to Phoenix.

Besides, nobody is giving up unprotected 1st round picks anymore. Not even the Pelicans in the Cousins trade. Someone would have probably explained this to Vlade Divac too by now.

Chinook
05-19-2017, 08:29 AM

Heat fans on RealGM were talking about Winslow and their first to the Spurs for LMA and taking back McRoberts. But that was back when the pick was projected in the mid-lottery. Looking at their roster, I don't see anyone would could really add value besides Johnson, and his contract sucks. I'd want a 2019 pickswap at least

raybies
05-19-2017, 10:37 AM
I would take Chris and knight for Aldridge in a heartbeat. No 4th pick either.

Chinook
05-19-2017, 12:45 PM

Can't ride with you there, Ray. I like Chris quite a bit, but I don't think the downgrade to him from LMA makes sense for the Spurs unless a) Knight projects to be a good player for them and b) They get back something else.

Like I could see LMA for Knight, Chriss, 32 and a Miami pick. And I'd be willing to swap in Bender instead if that's what they'd prefer.

raybies
05-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Can't ride with you there, Ray. I like Chris quite a bit, but I don't think the downgrade to him from LMA makes sense for the Spurs unless a) Knight projects to be a good player for them and b) They get back something else.

Like I could see LMA for Knight, Chriss, 32 and a Miami pick. And I'd be willing to swap in Bender instead if that's what they'd prefer.
Maybe I'm low on Aldridge cause health problems, age, future contract, and current production... I'm also high on Chriss. He did well this season and has a corner three he's working on and is a solid finisher.

But yeah a pick would also be great. I'm not sure I meant straight up but more base for a deal.

CGD
05-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Toss in 32 and 54 (to replenish foreign stash assets) and you have a deal.

CGD
05-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Heat fans on RealGM were talking about Winslow and their first to the Spurs for LMA and taking back McRoberts. But that was back when the pick was projected in the mid-lottery. Looking at their roster, I don't see anyone would could really add value besides Johnson, and his contract sucks. I'd want a 2019 pickswap at least

Winslow, 14, and a future first might move the needle for me, although Pop would have to commit to playing smaller. Other than that, I agree that there isnt anything on that roster that appeals.

palangi
05-19-2017, 10:14 PM
Winslow, 14, and a future first might move the needle for me, although Pop would have to commit to playing smaller. Other than that, I agree that there isnt anything on that roster that appeals.

That's not fully true. We could pay Winslow at the 3 and Leonard at the 2.

MaNu4Tres
05-20-2017, 12:25 AM
Play Winslow at 4, Kawhi at 3

objective
05-20-2017, 01:23 AM
Winslow had a terrible season even when he played, his production was amongst the worst in the league. Iirc he rated worst in David Locke's PAAC rating but escapes the distinction due to minutes played (points above average created). Probably not a coincidence that Miami was much better without him

picnroll
05-20-2017, 07:21 AM
Spurs have a busted Parker, a very shaky Murray, Manu heading for social security, Mills and Simmons unrestricted FAs with Simmons looking like he'll get a hefty offer. Couple that with a draft year very strong in PGs, even Evans maybe available when Spurs draf,t and the next two draft years after this projected to be very weak in PGs. No way Spurs should go after a big. Maybe, maybe a 3/4 if he's got tons of potential.

MaNu4Tres
05-20-2017, 09:20 AM
Spurs have a busted Parker, a very shaky Murray, Manu heading for social security, Mills and Simmons unrestricted FAs with Simmons looking like he'll get a hefty offer. Couple that with a draft year very strong in PGs, even Evans maybe available when Spurs draf,t and the next two draft years after this projected to be very weak in PGs. No way Spurs should go after a big. Maybe, maybe a 3/4 if he's got tons of potential.

Evans has a nice game, not a fan of his size. Spurs need to use their pick on a player who can play both ends. Stop acquiring players who are defensive liabilities or that don't have the size to defend. In this draft, where the Spurs are picking, the value is in the front-court. When I say value, I don't mean there's any superstars -- most of these bigs have a pretty good role playing floor or ceiling. The only wing I like in the late or early 2nd round is Diallo. Wing depth isn't there in this draft.

CGD
05-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Evans has a nice game, not a fan of his size. Spurs need to use their pick on a player who can play both ends. Stop acquiring players who are defensive liabilities or that don't have the size to defend. In this draft, where the Spurs are picking, the value is in the front-court. When I say value, I don't mean there's any superstars -- most of these bigs have a pretty good role playing floor or ceiling. The only wing I like in the late or early 2nd round is Diallo. Wing depth isn't there in this draft.

Im starting to buy this. I really want backcourt help but I just don't see it where we're picking. Best bet if to draft Dedmon insurance and bring over Mulitinov.

It's part of the reason I'd like to see us move up in this draft.

picnroll
05-20-2017, 09:35 AM
In the modern game any big has to be able to be able to match up on a switch, offer at least some paint protection against all but elite bigs like AD, KAT, Embid and be a decent offensive threat. If Spurs can pull something out of their asses like Gobert sure. Spurs haven't pulled a big out of their ass lately. Otherwise you have a bug with too many holes. Diallo is interesting but we've seen that picture before, Gerald Green or a Zach Lavine that's shown less game.

MaNu4Tres
05-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Winslow had a terrible season even when he played, his production was amongst the worst in the league. Iirc he rated worst in David Locke's PAAC rating but escapes the distinction due to minutes played (points above average created). Probably not a coincidence that Miami was much better without him

He didn't have a good year. Not a huge fan of him, just commenting on their hypothetical.

MaNu4Tres
05-20-2017, 09:43 AM
In the modern game any big has to be able to be able to match up on a switch, offer at least some paint protection against all but elite bigs like AD, KAT, Embid and be a decent offensive threat. If Spurs can pull something out of their asses like Gobert sure. Spurs haven't pulled a big out of their ass lately. Otherwise you have a bug with too many holes. Diallo is interesting but we've seen that picture before, Gerald Green or a Zach Lavine that's shown less game.

Jordan Bell
DJ Wilson
Adebayo
Jeanne but he's more raw than those I just mentioned and would take more time.

All of these players are able to match up on a switch and defend out in space and in the interior. DJ Wilson has a higher ceiling offensively than any of these guys, but Bell and Adebayo should be solid PnR rollers in the PnR.

picnroll
05-20-2017, 09:51 AM
Jordan Bell
DJ Wilson
Adebayo

All of these players are able to match up on a switch and defend out in space and in the interior. DJ Wilson has a higher ceiling offensively than any of these guys, but Bell and Adebayo should be solid PnR rollers in the PnR.
Of those I'd be on board with Bell although I wish he was a little longer and his shot is pretty stiff around the basket. What's stopping him from ending up a smaller version of Dedmon? Jeanne makes Murray look like he's morbidly obese and he'll never be able to put on decent weight. Pass.

Trueblood
05-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Jordan Bell
DJ Wilson
Adebayo

Adebayo is a freak athlete type with potential in the right system (and with a strong mental fortitude). I've been high on him for awhile. But the more I read the more i like Harry Giles. Problem is most drafts have him moving about 10 picks before the Spurs. The guy was an almost consensus lock for a top 5 talent in this draft during high school (many said he was #1 with how he was blowing out players older than him). Enter some knee issues that transitioned into a poor showing this year at Duke and suddenly he's not even in the lottery? I get the hesitation with his knee issues, but look at Bertans. He had to have two reconstructive surgeries and he's looking like a starter. I think between the Spurs training staff and Pop using him in a limited roll he could get his confidence back and play up to his potential. We know duke (traditionally) gets high character team oriented guys so he would fit right in. Problem is moving up in the draft to get him...

MaNu4Tres
05-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Of those I'd be on board with Bell although I wish he was a little longer and his shot is pretty stiff around the basket. What's stopping him from ending up a smaller version of Dedmon? Jeanne makes Murray look like he's morbidly obese and he'll never be able to put on decent weight. Pass.

Jordan Bell is the best and most versatile defender of not just that group of players, but the whole damn draft. That's why I love him so much. Give me his elite ability and versatility on the defensive end -- which is in the mold of Draymond. Then you figure out the rest and develop his offense further once you get him in the system.

Chinook
05-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Wonder if Hanlan figures into the guard projections. He is having a so-so season as a sixth man in Le Mans. The Spurs likely asked for him specifically in the Diaw trade and during a time where the team may be looking for body, Olivier likely has his best shot to compete for a spot. He needs to shoot better from three though.

mo7888
05-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Wonder if Hanlan figures into the guard projections. He is having a so-so season as a sixth man in Le Mans. The Spurs likely asked for him specifically in the Diaw trade and during a time where the team may be looking for body, Olivier likely has his best shot to compete for a spot. He needs to shoot better from three though.

Do any of our stash guys have trade value of any significance? How much would Milutinov (simply chosen as an example) plus this years 1st move us up the draft board?

Chinook
05-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Do any of our stash guys have trade value of any significance? How much would Milutinov (simply chosen as an example) plus this years 1st move us up the draft board?

I would assume they'd have less than Bogdonovic did last year, and he was just that extra bit of sweetener in that 8-for-13 deal. While I think Nikola definitely has the most value of the Spurs' prospects (with Hanga second and Hanlan maybe the only other one of note), I doubt it's worth losing him to move up three spaces or whatever.

palangi
05-20-2017, 05:01 PM

I forgot about Hanlan. I wonder if he can come be the 3rd PG next year until parker is healthy?
Murray, Forbes, Hanlan

Chinook
05-20-2017, 05:57 PM
I forgot about Hanlan. I wonder if he can come be the 3rd PG next year until parker is healthy?
Murray, Forbes, Hanlan

I doubt Pop would go that young at PG. And I don't think Forbes has shown he can be a rotation player yet. Add in Mills or a vet and push Hanlan down to fourth PG, and you might have something for next year, even if it's shaky at best.

objective
05-21-2017, 02:45 AM
Jordan Bell
DJ Wilson
Adebayo

A guy without a page here who is currently mocked mid second is JONAH BOLDEN.

21 y/o Australian auto eligible because he left UCLA to play in the Adriatic League.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonah-Bolden-72870/

6-10, alleged 7+ wingspan, checks all the boxes as far as skill minimums go.

Open space big time dunker who is also a great three point shooter to be a stretch big, shot 42% on 4.2 attempts a game with NBA range.

Spurs have paid a lot of attention to the Adriatic League, getting Baynes, Boban, Milutinov and Dangubic from there, he's gotta be on their radar.

I'll watch some full games but his clips look very impressive.

raybies
05-21-2017, 11:31 AM
A guy without a page here who is currently mocked mid second is JONAH BOLDEN.

21 y/o Australian auto eligible because he left UCLA to play in the Adriatic League.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonah-Bolden-72870/

6-10, alleged 7+ wingspan, checks all the boxes as far as skill minimums go.

Open space big time dunker who is also a great three point shooter to be a stretch big, shot 42% on 4.2 attempts a game with NBA range.

Spurs have paid a lot of attention to the Adriatic League, getting Baynes, Boban, Milutinov and Dangubic from there, he's gotta be on their radar.

I'll watch some full games but his clips look very impressive.
Aye this dude is like perfect for the modern NBA. Ball handling, Court Vision, defense, shot blocking, shooting what more do you want. He can play the 4/5 with that skill set. I mean you want a post presence get Caleb Swanigan. But Jonah is dope man.

I definitely think this is the year to go big. You might have to let milutinov play one more year in Europe to establish himself so taking a 4/5 would be perfect. We already got LA,Pau, and Lee so you can pick up a veteran 5 on a minimum and draft a big first and a combo second. I wonder if Frank Mason falls...

but id be happy with Jeanne, Bell, or Bolden. I think Gobert when I think Jeanne. Can anybody see that comparison? Why or why not?

raybies
05-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Just watched a vid with Jeanne. Reminds me more of Skal than Gobert lol I'm not impressed. I think he has potential but he's got a small frame which might be hard filling out.

raybies
05-21-2017, 12:00 PM
I can definitely see Bell fitting with potential starter status or a energy off the bench. He's in the Dedmon, DeAndre, Chandler mold with that skill set. I'd love Kawhi, Green or Simmons and him anchoring the defense. I'm ok with him or Bolden but from what I saw Bolden has a higher ceiling while Bell has a higher floor. I like Boldens skill set though. Kind of more like Odom, Green, and Diaw like. It's just preference really.

raybies
05-21-2017, 12:55 PM
Caleb Swanigan is another option too. I liked him last year too. He's like a David west or Z Bo type or Millsap without the D. So he's 6'8" with a 7'3" wingspan kinda like Leonard.

Jonah Bolden
Jordan Bell
Caleb Swanigan
Jonathon Jeanne

Are my top 4 right now.

BackHome
05-21-2017, 01:46 PM
I am still pulling for Yurtseven the guy plays great defense and is mobile enough to help against teams like GS

duncan2150
05-21-2017, 02:38 PM
I am still pulling for Yurtseven the guy plays great defense and is mobile enough to help against teams like GS

Maybe i'm wrong but the concern about Yurtseven is defense, he's a good offensive big with a soft touch but he could be in trouble on defense.

Here's some words about him during the combine " The biggest downside for Yurtseven at the moment, and it's a big one, is how much of a liability he's proven to be defensively both at the college level and here at the Combine " ©DraftExpress

Why nobody talk about Anigbogu ? he's raw but has a lot of potentiel as a defensive, athletic big. Not sure he will be there when we pick( DX has him at 15 for example).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEwjBmGCXpM

objective
05-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Someone I think is interesting, but maybe not even as a second rounder ...

LUCA VILDOZA

6-3 Argentine point guard.

Probably not really 6-3. Plays at low level in Argentina. But is a slick passer, not as good as Manu but looks like he grew up watching him play. Nice balance on his feet. 3 point range.

Maybe a candidate for summer league or one of the new d-league/NBA flex contracts

https://youtu.be/GgHnidTmKuI

https://youtu.be/7HC76E2lMmk

Year old scouting video
https://youtu.be/yvIojVzw9X0

NickiRasgo
05-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Who are the combo guard-forward available in the draft?

raybies
05-22-2017, 07:38 AM
I'm really liking Frank Jackson from Duke if we have to let Patty and Dedmon walk by keeping Pau. I think him and Murray would be a great pairing in the backcourt. He's got a great stroke and is super quick and athletic. He gets to the rim with ease.

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Hope Spurs can offload Kyle to get a pick in the high second. It's doubtful, but I can hope.

There's a lot of value in early 2nd for solid bench pieces.

objective
05-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Hope Spurs can offload Kyle to get a pick in the high second. It's doubtful, but I can hope.

There's a lot of value in early 2nd for solid bench pieces.

Have you checked out Bolden?

I watched 2 full games of his yesterday, and while he's not really what you're looking for, he adds some other things.

He's not a pick and roll dive man because I didn't see him used as the screener. I did see him used as the ball handler though, strangely.

Not nearly the shot blocker as Bell, only getting 1 per 27 mpg.

But he's a big time grab-n-go guy, really good handle for his size, good passer and playmaker, a little too much Tragic Bronson, but it happens. Great three point shooter, good rim runner.

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Have you checked out Bolden?

I watched 2 full games of his yesterday, and while he's not really what you're looking for, he adds some other things.

He's not a pick and roll dive man because I didn't see him used as the screener. I did see him used as the ball handler though, strangely.

Not nearly the shot blocker as Bell, only getting 1 per 27 mpg.

But he's a big time grab-n-go guy, really good handle for his size, good passer and playmaker, a little too much Tragic Bronson, but it happens. Great three point shooter, good rim runner.

I have. Im not as thrilled about him. He reminds me of Marcus Haislip lol.

objective
05-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Haislip wishes he had the shooting or handle Bolden does.

He's like a skinny, flying Brian Cook with dribbling.

raybies
05-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Haislip wishes he had the shooting or handle Bolden does.

He's like a skinny, flying Brian Cook with dribbling.
Bolden is my top pick in our range right now. I'm sold. I see a Lamar Odom like skill set. Plus and minus here and there but he brings alot to the table.

CGD
05-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Where do we think Danny's trade value is at? For example, would Danny fetch Mike Dunlevey's 5 million expiring and the 19th pick from Atlanta?

mo7888
05-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Where do we think Danny's trade value is at? For example, would Danny fetch Mike Dunlevey's 5 million expiring and the 19th pick from Atlanta?

If Atlanta has the space...i would think they would do that. He's fit good next to Schroeder.

ace3g
05-24-2017, 10:35 PM

ace3g
05-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Ref: Sebastian Saiz

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/sebastian-saiz

raybies
05-24-2017, 11:46 PM
Can we get a Page for Frank Jackson and Jonah Bolden please. those are two of my top picks and would like a page to post stuff about them Drom John (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=11750) Chinook

DesignatedT
05-25-2017, 10:35 AM
DJ Wilson from Michigan as well... very intriguing to me.

palangi
05-25-2017, 12:31 PM
DJ Wilson from Michigan as well... very intriguing to me.
I like this kid and would love to get him.

ace3g
05-27-2017, 08:36 PM

Nathan89
05-27-2017, 09:14 PM
Predicting Spurs draft Derrick White. Came out of high school at 6ft and is now 6'4. He played d2 and move to d1 for his last year. Nice gritty journey. Pretty solid all around. He's damn near 23 years old though but he's a late bloomer so should have more upside.

raybies
05-27-2017, 09:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx79NMYIv24

dont know about white but KA as a second round pick is interesting

raybies
05-27-2017, 09:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq1d6v9uI5c

raybies
05-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Sindarious Thornwell looks interesting. Senior who has two way potential. Ready to contribute right away. Doesn't rely on physical attributes really. Has an old school type game and can punish mismatches in the post.

MaNu4Tres
05-28-2017, 01:00 AM
Jabari Bird, Davon Reed, Sterling Brown or Jonah Boldin at 59.

If Spurs can dump Gasol and buy or trade to acquire another late 1st or early 2nd to draft Jordan Bell AND DJ Wilson. Then use 59 to draft Bird or Reed. Id be a very happy fan.

BackHome
05-28-2017, 12:17 PM
This is the draft the Spurs need to come away with 3 picks

With Mills, Simmons, and Deadmon leaving we need bodies and future/stash players.

CGD
05-28-2017, 08:23 PM
This is the draft the Spurs need to come away with 3 picks

With Mills, Simmons, and Deadmon leaving we need bodies and future/stash players.

I go back and forth on whether I want them to do a mini rebuild in 2017 ahead of next summer when they'll have mad cap space, or if they should go all in for Paul or Hayward. Just relooked at the 2018 FA crop, and it's just not that exciting (Before folk say Paul George, we all know he's going to the Lakers).

That said, I do at least have to make a call to PHX about LMA. If they're willing to either move #4 (and parts) or Bender/Chriss and #32, then I'm seriously thinking about making that move as the Spurs.

I'd then also consider a few other small deals since they'd be conceding a rebuild year (especially with the uncertainty around TP). Things like:
- Green to ATL for Dunleveys contract + #19
- Kyle + #29 to Nets for #22
- Kyle + #29 to Orlando for #33 + #35

mo7888
05-28-2017, 10:41 PM
I go back and forth on whether I want them to do a mini rebuild in 2017 ahead of next summer when they'll have mad cap space, or if they should go all in for Paul or Hayward. Just relooked at the 2018 FA crop, and it's just not that exciting (Before folk say Paul George, we all know he's going to the Lakers).

That said, I do at least have to make a call to PHX about LMA. If they're willing to either move #4 (and parts) or Bender/Chriss and #32, then I'm seriously thinking about making that move as the Spurs.

I'd then also consider a few other small deals since they'd be conceding a rebuild year (especially with the uncertainty around TP). Things like:
- Green to ATL for Dunleveys contract + #19
- Kyle + #29 to Nets for #22
- Kyle + #29 to Orlando for #33 + #35

I'd make that call to Phoenix as well..

Thomas82
05-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Adebayo is a freak athlete type with potential in the right system (and with a strong mental fortitude). I've been high on him for awhile. But the more I read the more i like Harry Giles. Problem is most drafts have him moving about 10 picks before the Spurs. The guy was an almost consensus lock for a top 5 talent in this draft during high school (many said he was #1 with how he was blowing out players older than him). Enter some knee issues that transitioned into a poor showing this year at Duke and suddenly he's not even in the lottery? I get the hesitation with his knee issues, but look at Bertans. He had to have two reconstructive surgeries and he's looking like a starter. I think between the Spurs training staff and Pop using him in a limited roll he could get his confidence back and play up to his potential. We know duke (traditionally) gets high character team oriented guys so he would fit right in. Problem is moving up in the draft to get him...

I would be happy with one of Harry Giles, Bam Adebayo, Tony Bradley, or DJ Wilson.

DesignatedT
05-30-2017, 08:20 AM
I really like the guard Donovan Mitchell from Louisville as well. A little undersized so he could drop some but he has great measurements and length to make up for it. Has a nice looking shot and his ability to create his own shot and get to the rim is sorely lacking on this team. Especially with Simmons likely out the door. Also a very capable defender who can guard 1s and 2s. Figured he was way out of reach, but I see him in the 20s now in some mocks. Would likely have to move up though.

duncan2150
05-30-2017, 10:49 AM
I really like the guard Donovan Mitchell from Louisville as well. A little undersized so he could drop some but he has great measurements and length to make up for it. Has a nice looking shot and his ability to create his own shot and get to the rim is sorely lacking on this team. Especially with Simmons likely out the door. Also a very capable defender who can guard 1s and 2s. Figured he was way out of reach, but I see him in the 20s now in some mocks. Would likely have to move up though.

He's my favourite player for us, the biggest need imo is a SG and he fills the need. But as you said he'll be drafted before our choice but i really like him.

CGD
05-30-2017, 09:36 PM
Looks like Detroit is willing to shop #12 for "an established" player. Would Danny and #29 for parts (Boban's 5M) and #12 get it done?

ace3g
06-01-2017, 05:55 PM

Snaq O'Meal
06-01-2017, 08:49 PM
Looks like Detroit is willing to shop #12 for "an established" player. Would Danny and #29 for parts (Boban's 5M) and #12 get it done?

I can think of a no. 12 to exchange for their pick no. 12.

sasaint
06-02-2017, 07:42 PM

:tu

ace3g
06-03-2017, 06:16 PM

CGD
06-03-2017, 07:02 PM

What a terrific idea and event.

Mills, Green, Simmons, dedmon all key cogs for us this year.

BackHome
06-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Umm that's why we suck..lol

pad300
06-04-2017, 12:29 AM
Umm that's why we suck..lol

Leading the expected NBA champs in game 1 by 23, until our MVP went out and didn't come back for the series - interesting definition of suck you have there...

jyra
06-04-2017, 05:29 AM

Huh, so the D-League is now the G(atorade)-League: http://www.nba.com/article/2017/02/14/nba-development-league-become-nba-gatorade-league

CGD
06-04-2017, 07:42 AM
Leading the expected NBA champs in game 1 by 23, until our MVP went out and didn't come back for the series - interesting definition of suck you have there...

Agree, we were the second best team in basketball all year. Not our fault The cap spike allowed an already stacked warriors team add a mentally weak KD.

Play Boban
06-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Sindarious Thornwell looks interesting. Senior who has two way potential. Ready to contribute right away. Doesn't rely on physical attributes really. Has an old school type game and can punish mismatches in the post.

He can't shoot. Do not want. :cry

raybies
06-04-2017, 02:15 PM
someones gonna overthink it and we're gonna get a pretty nice player imo

BackHome
06-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Yeah the Spurs will pick someone we not talking about and he will be good in trust in Pop and RC. One thing though I have come to understand that all Mocks after you read them you would think they each player is the next Lebron rarely are they as good as they say.

raybies
06-04-2017, 07:28 PM
It's all about seeing what a players skill set is and how they score or what they do at an elite level and if it's replicable in the NBA. Scoring is the easiest to assess and most important imo

BackHome
06-04-2017, 09:28 PM
I just want a guy who can play basketball and I mean just do the simple stuff be able to dribble the ball, pass, hit mid range, layups etc...

Nathan89
06-05-2017, 03:14 AM
Bunch of centers in the draft after the lottery. Someone will probably be a overlooked as GMs around the league try their best at building for the future. Probably not available at our pick though.

MaNu4Tres
06-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Jordan Bell. Been on him for months

Looks like Spurs like him too.

https://twitter.com/DanSheldonCSN/status/870649894305800196?s=09

June 22nd needs to get here.

duncan2150
06-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Jordan Bell. Been on him for months

Looks like Spurs like him too.

https://twitter.com/DanSheldonCSN/status/870649894305800196?s=09

June 22nd needs to get here.

The problem is the Lakers pick is just before us

CGD
06-05-2017, 07:52 PM

I do like Jordan Bell, but if he goes in the first round it increases the chances that there will be good options available to us like a DJ Wilson.

cjw
06-05-2017, 09:56 PM

And this isn't the NFL where you always have a pick or two to trade in a deal given more rounds and depth

objective
06-05-2017, 11:20 PM
There's some more or less full games with Oregon on YouTube, watched two of them. Good Lord the college game is such crap and hard to watch.

Bell looked small, I stand by my mbah a moute feeling.

But a small thing that stood out to me: he is really fast going backwards. I wouldn't be surprised if his backwards sprint was faster than some of the lesser bigs in the league running forward. Maybe that's just me, my eyes might be off

Good passing IQ and skills, he could execute in the Spurs system.

eDizzle20
06-05-2017, 11:41 PM
There's some more or less full games with Oregon on YouTube, watched two of them. Good Lord the college game is such crap and hard to watch.

But a small thing that stood out to me: he is really fast going backwards. I wouldn't be surprised if his backwards sprint was faster than some of the lesser bigs in the league running forward. Maybe that's just me, my eyes might be off

Yeah. It just shows what today's game has become. Dispute his small stature for a PF/C he shows great timing and is quick off his feet.

MaNu4Tres
06-06-2017, 02:18 AM

I think youre just looking at his size. Mbah Moute doesnt have anywhere near his athleticism, motor, agility, ect.

I see him as a Rodman/ Draymond type player. Hes further ahead offensively than Draymond was when Draymond was drafted.

Snaq O'Meal
06-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Anyone heard of this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsN_5KO2juo

duncan2150
06-08-2017, 05:36 PM

Remind me a little bit Deshaun Thomas but way more athletic, looks like undersized tough, he's listed as a sf pf by nbadraft at only 6'5.

CGD
06-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Draft/free agency needs to get here ASAP. Aside from last night's game, Game 5 of Spurs-Rockets, and a very few first round games, these playoffs have sucked ass.

It felt like the league had a down year this past year tbh.

Snaq O'Meal
06-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Remind me a little bit Deshaun Thomas but way more athletic, looks like undersized tough, he's listed as a sf pf by nbadraft at only 6'5.

He'll be good at the 2/3 spots. Has the quicks, handles and outside shooting to play SG even though bully ball is his calling card. The other guy with similar measurements is the Round Mound himself, although Deonte doesn't quite rebound at the same rate.

MaNu4Tres
06-09-2017, 12:50 PM
I think youre just looking at his size. Mbah Moute doesnt have anywhere near his athleticism, motor, agility, ect.

I see him as a Rodman/ Draymond type player. Hes further ahead offensively than Draymond was when Draymond was drafted.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Philadelphia-76ers-Sixers-Jordan-Bell-Dennis-Rodman-Oregon.html

BackHome
06-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Well I heard the French kid is out with possible career ending disease (JJ) I feel for the kid to get so close and to have it all taken away in mere minutes..Very Sad.....

outmap
06-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Well I heard the French kid is out with possible career ending disease (JJ) I feel for the kid to get so close and to have it all taken away in mere minutes..Very Sad.....
Gamble on him if he's available at 59. Isaiah Austin has been cleared and is in Europe playing professionally.

https://clutchpoints.com/potential-first-round-jonathan-jeanne-marfan-syndrome-according-to-agent/

tholdren
06-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Draft luke kennard. Best player out of duke.

outmap
06-11-2017, 06:16 AM
Draft luke kennard. Best player out of duke.

He won't be available at 29.

tholdren
06-11-2017, 08:09 AM
He won't be available at 29.

Mock i saw had him at 30

mo7888
06-11-2017, 01:58 PM
Mock i saw had him at 30
Most of his scheduled workouts are for teams between 6 and 12.... I like him but that's to high for him imo...but it is what it is..

BackHome
06-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Man I can't wait until the 22nd there are so many options this year I don't have a particular horse in this draft so much talent. I still hope the Spurs are able to trade or buy out a high second round pick from someone.

sasaint
06-13-2017, 02:29 PM

I saw him play a couple of times. He is the kind of guy coaches love - especially at the college level. He is a tough Jack-of-all-trades type.

Snaq O'Meal
06-13-2017, 04:58 PM
I saw him play a couple of times. He is the kind of guy coaches love - especially at the college level. He is a tough Jack-of-all-trades type.

His position is all over the place, from combo guard to combo forward. And his big games came against lottery candidate Josh Jackson to banging in the post against Swanigan. He presents that Bonzi Wells type of matchup problem, and will do well for a team requiring versatility and toughness.

sasaint
06-13-2017, 05:52 PM
His position is all over the place, from combo guard to combo forward. And his big games came against lottery candidate Josh Jackson to banging in the post against Swanigan. He presents that Bonzi Wells type of matchup problem, and will do well for a team requiring versatility and toughness.

Things the Spurs could absolutely use, but I think they need playmaking and shooting even more.

keithington1
06-14-2017, 01:30 PM
At 29 our range 1) Semi Ojeleye 2) Tony Bradley 3) Jonathan Motley 4) Ivan Rabb 5) Frank Jackson

Drom John
06-15-2017, 03:10 PM
I'm a Kevin Pelton fan.
Taking the top 28 on Ford's Big Board out of consideration, then applying Pelton's WARP, at 29:
#3 Monte Morris
#8 Josh Hart
#10 Jeremy Morgan
#11 Aleksandar Vezenkov
#14 Derrick Walton Jr.
#15-22,24,26 missing on the non-Insider list I found which implies they are not on Ford's Big Board
#27 Luke Kornet

Chinook
06-15-2017, 08:33 PM
I don't like Pelton at all. Sorry Drom, but I don't think his numbers track well. We'll see if he's right on Murray, though.

DesignatedT
06-17-2017, 09:32 AM
John Collins
Donovan Mitchell
DJ Wilson
Jordan Bell

Ojeleye
Anunoby
Oliver
Hart

ace3g
06-17-2017, 07:34 PM

UNT Eagles 2016
06-17-2017, 08:52 PM
How about Fultz?

Snaq O'Meal
06-18-2017, 01:33 AM

This guy has tremendous upside. Love the way he outplayed Josh Jackson. But from his style, it's hard to tell that he's actually a quiet introvert.

objective
06-19-2017, 05:46 PM
One guy who I think I'd be happy for in the first round is Sterling Brown.

His weaknesses don't seem crippling or disqualifying. More like explanations as to why he'll be a solid role player and nothing more. And I'm okay with that.

Kind of like a better shooting young PJ Tucker. If you could get that on a rookie deal, that's a nice bench wing and useful guy.

Another guy I've watched some games on is Luca Vildoza, pg from Argentina.

Slim chance to ever make the league. Terrible defender, but nobody in the Liga Nacional plays and defense. Prone to really dumb passes and turnovers late in games.

But he has NBA range, plays a good pick and roll, and has some creative and risky 'Manu-passes'. Pretty good handle, entertaining.

Probably not any more of nba athlete than Lapprovittola is.

Already has a deal with Baskonia and I guess will be playing there for awhile. So he's a stash guy for 59. Not likely though because he probably doesn't have better than a 5% chance of making it. But I think I like his chances better than some American second rounders of the last 10 years. Just a fun player.

raybies
06-20-2017, 10:09 PM
wow Deonte Burton just blew me away. Next Draymond in the right system imo. He's like the perfect big in the modern NBA. I'd definitely take him with the one. and then Kadeem Allen with 2nd. You get two versatile defenders that are tough on both sides of the ball.

MAN I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIM.

Snaq O'Meal
06-20-2017, 10:31 PM
wow Deonte Burton just blew me away. Next Draymond in the right system imo. He's like the perfect big in the modern NBA. I'd definitely take him with the one. and then Kadeem Allen with 2nd. You get two versatile defenders that are tough on both sides of the ball.

MAN I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIM.

Burton is more combo guard than big man despite weighing in at 250lbs with near 7' wingspan. He was forced to play power forward for the Cyclones only because they severely lacked size. Just look at his handles, playmaking and outside shooting in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSF2FwHNAa0

raybies
06-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Burton is more combo guard than big man despite weighing in at 250lbs with near 7' wingspan. He was forced to play power forward for the Cyclones only because they severely lacked size. Just look at his handles, playmaking and outside shooting in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSF2FwHNAa0
Dude, this guy can literally play one through 5. Would love to see how he'd play Draymond. He's more Draymond than Draymond.

objective
06-21-2017, 06:37 AM
Locked On Podcast network had their mock draft, and the Locked On Spurs podcast, which I don't listen to as I have no use for it like other Spurs related media sites, did something that made me shake my head

After talking up the need for help next to Aldridge and that big man defensive and offensive presence as the biggest need, Locked On Spurs selected ... Caleb Swanigan. The perfect defensive presence and who would be a dream come true as a Spur. Huh? The guy who defends nobody, and especially nobody on pick and rolls, is now the dream guy to upgrade the Spurs defense.

Good Lord I can not stand these Spurs related sites and their nonsense, I feel they always make Spurs fans look bad or offer such trash.

For instance, Sam Vecenie on his podcast Game Theory had Tynan from RealGM in a baffling appearance full of rambles and occasional incoherence that left me feeling embarrassed for both him and the listeners. In one several minutes long ramble Tynan began by talking about how he felt the league was much more competitive as far as title contenders against Golden State go than many people would believe, only to later in the very same run-on paragraph of verbiage list the star players for GS and then declare them unbeatable.

I felt bad for him and Spurs fans who listen to him to get their info. Every other team coverage rep I've heard on Vecenie's podcast has been so much more informed and informative, and broken down everything including hypotheticals for the offseason so much better than the Spurs guy.

Snaq O'Meal
06-21-2017, 06:55 AM
Locked On Podcast network had their mock draft, and the Locked On Spurs podcast, which I don't listen to as I have no use for it like other Spurs related media sites, did something that made me shake my head

After talking up the need for help next to Aldridge and that big man defensive and offensive presence as the biggest need, Locked On Spurs selected ... Caleb Swanigan. The perfect defensive presence and who would be a dream come true as a Spur. Huh? The guy who defends nobody, and especially nobody on pick and rolls, is now the dream guy to upgrade the Spurs defense.

Good Lord I can not stand these Spurs related sites and their nonsense, I feel they always make Spurs fans look bad or offer such trash.

You know what's even worse than that? The Spurs actually selecting Swanigan with pick 29. It's not beyond RC to do that.

objective
06-21-2017, 07:09 AM
You know what's even worse than that? The Spurs actually selecting Swanigan with pick 29. It's not beyond RC to do that.

Oh, I get that, I'm prepared for it.

But at least provide solid context. In that mock guys like Bell, White, and Evans were off the board. So I could understand the sell job of, "Hey, all these other guys were gone. Swanigan has HUGE defensive issues, and probably couldn't even stay on the floor against Golden State in the playoffs. Not just as a rookie, but ever. A huge huge problem on defense, but you have to believe in the youth, length, and offensive potential."

Do that, don't sell him as a defensive upgrade or a defensive presence. It's absurd beyond belief. His combined blocks and steals per 40 is only 1.5, a devastatingly low number. There's one other NCAA big in the top 45 of the DX mock who is lower, Markannen, and every one else is at minimum 2.0 and most vastly more.

The red flags are massive, and to not at least acknowledge that is about what I expect from Spurs-covering media. Lack of context.

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2017, 07:20 AM

For instance, Sam Vecenie on his podcast Game Theory had Tynan from RealGM in a baffling appearance full of rambles and occasional incoherence that left me feeling embarrassed for both him and the listeners. In one several minutes long ramble Tynan began by talking about how he felt the league was much more competitive as far as title contenders against Golden State go than many people would believe, only to later in the very same run-on paragraph of verbiage list the star players for GS and then declare them unbeatable.

I felt bad for him and Spurs fans who listen to him to get their info. Every other team coverage rep I've heard on Vecenie's podcast has been so much more informed and informative, and broken down everything including hypotheticals for the offseason so much better than the Spurs guy.

Lol Preach.

Tynan is so condescending to Spurs fans on twitter too. I challenged him when Tony Parker was fat 2-3 years ago (which he was) and his come back was that he isn't because he sees him in person lol.

Jeff Garcia on "Locked on Spurs" is a good dude, but he's not the brightest -- he has shitty vanilla takes.

Paul Garcias' info is pretty solid. He's one guy who gets it more than most in my opinion.

Overall, I'd take the top 10-15 posters on this site over any of those dudes, any day of the week, when it comes to getting Spurs info.

picnroll
06-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Ditto. Almost other teams have knowledgeable pod casters. Spurs, horrible. That realgm guy was cringe worthy.