PDA

View Full Version : The War on Information

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 04:27 PM
Trump administration orders media blackout at EPA
http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-trailguide-updates-trump-administration-orders-media-1485281190-htmlstory.html

The Trump administration has instituted a media blackout at the Environmental Protection Agency and barred staff from awarding any new contracts or grants.

Emails sent to EPA staff since President Trump's inauguration on Friday and reviewed by the Associated Press detailed the specific prohibitions banning news releases, blog updates or posts to the agency's social media accounts.

The Trump administration has also ordered a "temporary suspension" of all new business activities at the department, including issuing task orders or work assignments to EPA contractors. The orders are expected to have a significant and immediate impact on EPA activities nationwide.

Similar orders barring external communications have been issued by the Trump administration at other federal agencies in recent days, including the Agriculture and Interior departments.

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 04:29 PM
USDA science researchers ordered to stop publishing news releases, other documents
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/24/usda-science-researchers-ordered-to-stop-publishing-news-releases-other-documents/?utm_term=.c2c65f4218fb

Employees of the scientific research arm at the Agriculture Department were ordered Monday to cease publication of “outward facing” documents and news releases, raising concerns that the Trump administration was seeking to influence distribution of their findings.

“Starting immediately and until further notice, [the Agricultural Research Service] will not release any public-facing documents. This includes, but is not limited to, news releases, photos, fact sheets, news feeds, and social media content,” wrote ARS chief Sharon Drumm in an email to employees.

Department officials scrambled to clarify the memo Tuesday afternoon, after intense public scrutiny and media requests, stating that ARS had not “blacked out public information” and adding that scientific articles published through professional peer-reviewed journals have not been banned. Such a decree would have conflicted with established scientific integrity standards and previous media guidance “encouraging, but not requiring, USDA scientists to communicate with the media about their scientific findings.”

“As the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s chief scientific in-house research agency, ARS values and is committed to maintaining the free flow of information between our scientists and the American public as we strive to find solutions to agricultural problems affecting America,” ARS said in a statement to The Washington Post Tuesday afternoon, seeking to clarify the scope of the memo.

The original guidance — which specifically bans news releases and social-media content — remains intact.

InRareForm
01-24-2017, 04:33 PM
not good. scary stuff.

They just did a segment on vice news about science data scientists trying to save science material on servers before it becomes deleted and forgotten.

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Combine this with the administration's flagrant disregard of easily quantifiable facts and concern about the lack of transparency is more than justified.

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Sounds reasonable. There is a new sheriff in town and there will be new agency heads. They don't need hold overs from the previous administration causing trouble.

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 04:47 PM
Sounds reasonable. There is a new sheriff in town and there will be new agency heads. They don't need hold overs from the previous administration causing trouble.

If that's the case surely you can point to another example of this happening at the beginning of a new administration.

BTW, Venezuela/Russia/Cuba/China don't count.

spurraider21
01-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Sounds reasonable.
lol

DarrinS
01-24-2017, 04:50 PM
And this on the heels of the most transparent admin ever.

Trill Clinton
01-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Sickening

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 04:52 PM
And this on the heels of the most transparent admin ever.

Predictable response alert.

Is that what we're going to do? Justify everything based on previous leaders less blatantly doing similar things until we circle the drain?

Splits
01-24-2017, 04:55 PM

Is that what we're going to do? Justify everything based on previous leaders less blatantly doing similar things until we circle the drain?

Also too, Hillary

spurraider21
01-24-2017, 04:56 PM

Circle the drain? Surely you mean drain the swamp

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Some Fake News Publishers Just Happen to Be Donald Trump’s Cronies
https://theintercept.com/2016/11/26/laura-ingraham-lifezette/

Laura Ingraham, a close Trump ally currently under consideration to be Trump’s White House press secretary, owns an online publisher called Ingraham Media Group that runs a number of sites, including LifeZette, a news site that frequently posts articles of dubious veracity. One video produced by LifeZette this summer, ominously titled “Clinton Body Count,” promoted a conspiracy theory that the Clinton family had some role in the plane crash death of John F. Kennedy, Jr., as well as the deaths of various friends and Democrats.

The video, published on Facebook from LifeZette’s verified news account, garnered over 400,000 shares and 14 million views.

Another LifeZette video, picking up false claims from other sites, claimed that voting machines “might be compromised” because a voting machine company called Smartmatic, allegedly providing voting machines “in sixteen states,” was purchased by the liberal billionaire George Soros. Soros never purchased the company, and Smartmatic did not provide voting machines used in the general election.

One LifeZette article misleadingly claimed that the United Nations backed a “secret” Obama administration takeover of local police departments. The article referenced Justice Department orders that a select few police departments address patterns of misconduct, a practice that, in reality, long predates the Obama presidency, is hardly secret, and had no relation to the United Nations.

Another LifeZette article, which went viral in the week prior to the election, falsely claimed that Wikileaks had revealed that a senior Hillary Clinton campaign official had engaged in occult rituals. Ingraham’s site regularly receives links from the Drudge Report and other powerful drivers of Internet traffic.

vy65
01-24-2017, 05:13 PM
This shit is crazy, in a not-good way.

monosylab1k
01-24-2017, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately, things are reaching a point where violence will be necessary to stop this bullshit and root out those responsible. Personally I'd love to see Kellyanne Conway placed in front of a firing squad.

boutons_deux
01-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Unfortunately, things are reaching a point where violence will be necessary to stop this bullshit and root out those responsible. Personally I'd love to see Kellyanne Conway placed in front of a firing squad.

She says that Time Churchill-bust reporter PERSONALLY put her life in danger, so now she has SS guards.

boutons_deux
01-24-2017, 05:45 PM
http://usuncut.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/badlandstrump.png

The National Parks service defies Trump’s social media gag order by tweeting climate facts

http://usuncut.com/resistance/national-park-service-defies-trump/

aka, job-suicide by truth

AaronY
01-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Pretty terrifying. Are there any good Republicans left that will stand up to this guy at all? Basically gonna gaslight the whole country out of its mind between the incessant lying and stuff like this

boutons_deux
01-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Pretty terrifying. Are there any good Republicans left that will stand up to this guy at all? Basically gonna gaslight the whole country out of its mind between the incessant lying and stuff like this

They are, 99%, too chickenshit, too in love with their cushy jobs and benefits and promises of future wealth, to resist.

If they did, the Kock Bros/VRWC/corporatocracy will primary them out of govt, Stalin-style, and they know it.

vy65
01-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Makes you wonder who makes a better case for potential Orwellian State -- prime GWB PATRIOT ACT era (2002-2006) or DJT (2017 - ?)

AaronY
01-24-2017, 06:05 PM
Tom Nichols who's one of the few decent honest conservatives and who hates Trump says this is no big deal or at least doesn't seem like it so far: https://mobile.twitter.com/RadioFreeTom?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eser p%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

clambake
01-24-2017, 06:07 PM
tom nichols is a plant. don't be played.

spurraider21
01-24-2017, 06:12 PM
http://usuncut.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/badlandstrump.png

The National Parks service defies Trump’s social media gag order by tweeting climate facts

http://usuncut.com/resistance/national-park-service-defies-trump/

aka, job-suicide by truth

Have the tweets been deleted?

boutons_deux
01-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Makes you wonder who makes a better case for potential Orwellian State -- prime GWB PATRIOT ACT era (2002-2006) or DJT (2017 - ?)

they are on the same continuum, current Repugs are further to the sociopathic extreme, and continuing in that direction.

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2017, 06:20 PM
I hope he enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame.

Thread
01-24-2017, 06:41 PM

I'll just bet you would.

TheSanityAnnex
01-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately, things are reaching a point where violence will be necessary to stop this bullshit and root out those responsible. Personally I'd love to see Kellyanne Conway placed in front of a firing squad.PM RandomGuy I heard he bought a firearm.

Reck
01-24-2017, 07:09 PM
LOL Trump knows he's a one hit wonder so he's having fun abusing the power he's got.

monosylab1k
01-24-2017, 07:17 PM
I'll just bet you would.

It's happened in every other country, and it's happened here too. Things reach a boiling point and then blood runs through the streets. I hope I'm wrong, but I truly feel like it's coming.

Thread
01-24-2017, 07:41 PM
It's happened in every other country, and it's happened here too. Things reach a boiling point and then blood runs through the streets. I hope I'm wrong, but I truly feel like it's coming.

- "Black, white, or, brown, the color of blood is the same."

- President Trump - 1-20-17

Thread
01-24-2017, 07:42 PM
LOL Trump knows he's a one hit wonder so he's having fun abusing the power he's got.

It's called (((work))), Recky. Try and stop him. I want to see you try.

Thread
01-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Wednesday morning, comin' down:::

U.S. President Donald Trump is expected to sign several executive orders on Wednesday restricting immigration from Syria and six other Middle Eastern or African countries, according to several congressional aides and immigration experts briefed on the matter.
In addition to Syria, Trump's orders are expected to temporarily restrict access to the United States for most refugees. Another order will block visas from being issued to Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, said the aides and experts, who asked not to be identified.
Trump's restrictions on refugees are likely to include a multi-month ban on admissions from all countries until the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security can increase the intensity of the vetting process.
The Republican president was expected to sign the orders at the Washington headquarters of the Department of Homeland Security, whose responsibilities include immigration and border security.
On the campaign trail, Trump initially proposed a temporary ban on Muslims entering the United States to protect Americans from jihadist attacks. Many Trump supporters decried Democratic President Barack Obama's decision to increase the number of Syrian refugees admitted to the United States over fears that those fleeing the country's civil war would carry out attacks.
Both Trump and his nominee for attorney general, U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions, have since said they would focus the restrictions on countries whose emigres could pose a threat rather than placing a ban on people who follow a specific religion.
To block entry from the designated countries, Trump is likely to instruct the U.S. State Department to stop issuing visas to people from those nations, according to sources familiar with the visa process. He could also instruct U.S. Customs and Border Protection to stop any current visa holders from those countries from entering the United States.
White House spokesman Sean Spicer said on Tuesday that the State and Homeland Security departments would work on the vetting process once Trump's nominee to head the State Department, Rex Tillerson, is installed.
Other measures may include directing all agencies to finish work on a biometric identification system for non-citizens entering and exiting the United States and a crackdown on immigrants fraudulently receiving government benefits, according to the congressional aides and immigration experts.
To restrict illegal immigration, Trump has promised to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border and to deport illegal migrants living inside the United States. None of the orders to be signed Wednesday are expected to focus on those issues.

Trump is also expected to swear in his new secretary of homeland security, retired Marine General John Kelly, on Wednesday.

Reck
01-24-2017, 07:57 PM
It's called (((work))), Recky. Try and stop him. I want to see you try.

No need. He'll do enough dumb shit that he'll get impeached soon enough.

Thread
01-24-2017, 07:58 PM

- "Promises, promises."

- Ernie "The Cat" Ladd

Thread
01-24-2017, 08:02 PM
I like how during the two press briefings Trump sent in notes to cut it off. He's running it. Trump. Trump is running it, all of it. You don't like it? Get your ass up and you can go join Christie over in New Jersey pumpin' gas.

Clipper Nation
01-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Doug Ericksen, the communications director for Trump's transition team at EPA, confirmed the communications ban, but said he expected it be lifted by the end of the week.

"We're just trying to get a handle on everything and make sure what goes out reflects the priorities of the new administration," Ericksen said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/president-trump-institutes-media-blackouts-epa-usda-article-1.2954647

:lmao A week-long moratorium on talking to the media is apparently a :cry War on Information :cry now. Could you liberals be any more hysterical?

UZER
01-24-2017, 08:16 PM
Only 3 days and people are losing their shit :lol

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Doug Ericksen, the communications director for Trump's transition team at EPA, confirmed the communications ban, but said he expected it be lifted by the end of the week.

"We're just trying to get a handle on everything and make sure what goes out reflects the priorities of the new administration," Ericksen said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/president-trump-institutes-media-blackouts-epa-usda-article-1.2954647

:lmao A week-long moratorium on talking to the media is apparently a :cry War on Information :cry now. Could you liberals be any more hysterical?

Says the author of the :cry War on Cops :cry thread.

I hope you're right, though. The optics are terrible, though, especially so soon after we've been presented with so many "alternative facts."

I don't have a lot of faith the "priorities of the new administration" will be for the EPA or USDA to publish anything that contradicts their version of the truth.

Clipper Nation
01-24-2017, 08:22 PM
I don't recall liberals frothing at the mouth like this over Obama's :cry War on Information. :cry

It's no accident that the fight over multibillion-dollar cuts to every government agency sounds a lot like cuts hitting one agency — the Pentagon.

The reason: It hasn't been a fair fight.

Top officials at three domestic agencies say they were instructed by the White House not to talk about the looming sequester cuts unless their talking points were first cleared by the Office of Management and Budget.

The direction from the White House so infuriated Senate Appropriations Committee Chairwoman Barbara Mikulski that she’s planning a hearing next Thursday to give domestic agencies a chance to make their case by inviting officials from OMB, Treasury, Health and Human Services, Education, Housing and Urban Development and Homeland Security.

"It's been under a gag order," the Maryland Democrat said of President Barack Obama's Cabinet to POLITICO. "I'm against gag rules."

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/cabinet-under-gag-order-on-sequester-087231

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 08:30 PM
I don't recall liberals frothing at the mouth like this over Obama's :cry War on Information. :cry
It's no accident that the fight over multibillion-dollar cuts to every government agency sounds a lot like cuts hitting one agency — the Pentagon.

Top officials at three domestic agencies say they were instructed by the White House not to talk about the looming sequester cuts unless their talking points were first cleared by the Office of Management and Budget.

The direction from the White House so infuriated Senate Appropriations Committee Chairwoman Barbara Mikulski that she’s planning a hearing next Thursday to give domestic agencies a chance to make their case by inviting officials from OMB, Treasury, Health and Human Services, Education, Housing and Urban Development and Homeland Security.

"It's been under a gag order," the Maryland Democrat said of President Barack Obama's Cabinet to POLITICO. "I'm against gag rules."

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/cabinet-under-gag-order-on-sequester-087231

You're as predictable as Darrin.

No one claimed Obama's or any other administration before it was 100% transparent or didn't try to exert some control over communications. Yours isn't an example of an administration putting a total silence order on an agency.

"Yeahbutbutbut..."

Clipper Nation
01-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Says the author of the :cry War on Cops :cry thread.

I hope you're right, though. The optics are terrible, though, especially so soon after we've been presented with so many "alternative facts."

I don't have a lot of faith the "priorities of the new administration" will be for the EPA or USDA to publish anything that contradicts their version of the truth.
lol "optics"

The Trump administration is waiting for their appointees for those agencies to be sworn in. In the meantime, they don't want any more incidents like when the Office of the Interior was tweeting anti-Trump drivel a few days ago. It's a reasonable move. There are no "bad optics," just left-wing nutjobs trying to twist everything this administration says and does into "proof" that they're fascists.

Keep it up, though. At this rate, Trump will cruise to the repeat in 2020. :tu

Dirk Oneanddoneski
01-24-2017, 08:36 PM

Who do you got on your side? A bunch of libtards that have never shot a gun in their life, a bunch of 70 IQ Nigs that shoot their guns while holding them sideways vs. All law enforcement, armed forces, and superior white americans that go to the range every week and hunt moving targets.

Reck
01-24-2017, 08:39 PM
- "Promises, promises."

- Ernie "The Cat" Ladd

Do you doubt that he will hang himself?

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 08:40 PM
President George W. Bush's first interview: Barbara Walters

President Barack Obama's first interview: Hisham Melhem of Al-Arabiya

President Trump's first interview?

Sean Hannity :lmao
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/315912-hannity-lands-first-cable-news-interview-with-trump

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Keep it up, though. At this rate, Trump will cruise to the repeat in 2020. :tu

Yeah, that historically high disapproval rating bodes well for 2020.

Keep clinging.

monosylab1k
01-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Who do you got on your side? A bunch of libtards that have never shot a gun in their life, a bunch of 70 IQ Nigs that shoot their guns while holding them sideways vs. All law enforcement, armed forces, and superior white americans that go to the range every week and hunt moving targets.
Keep thinking that.

TheSanityAnnex
01-24-2017, 08:58 PM
No need. He'll do enough dumb shit that he'll get impeached soon enough.You want to make another ELE bet to welch on? How long until you think he'll be impeached? I'll take the over. I win your bitch ass leaves the board, I lose I'm gone.

TheSanityAnnex
01-24-2017, 09:01 PM
It's happened in every other country, and it's happened here too. Things reach a boiling point and then blood runs through the streets. I hope I'm wrong, but I truly feel like it's coming.Looks like you've got a week to start the revolution :lol

AaronY
01-24-2017, 09:04 PM
tom nichols is a plant. don't be played.
Is this a joke?

monosylab1k
01-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Looks like you've got a week to start the revolution :lol

I'm not starting anything. But if things keep going down this path, that outcome is inevitable.

TheSanityAnnex
01-24-2017, 09:18 PM
I'm not starting anything. But if things keep going down this path, that outcome is inevitable.No it isn't inevitable. People like yourself will just talk tough on the internet and then do nothing more than wait for someone else to act, like you just did here. For the last 8 years liberals have told extremely well armed conservatives that if they ever rose up against the government the military would annihilate them in a few days and now all of the sudden these same liberals are frothing at the mouth for their own revolution armed with nothing more than skinny jeans and pussyhats :lol

Thread
01-24-2017, 09:25 PM
Do you doubt that he will hang himself?

Yep. You'll have to do to him what they did to Sterling=drag Trump into the street after committing a crime against him and high tech lynch him. And this time, unlike with Sterling they won't have to assuage their consciences by cutting him a $2 billion bank draft. Trump already has his $2 billion.

Then? Well then we can get back to SOP, and our fucking.

Thread
01-24-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm not starting anything. But if things keep going down this path, that outcome is inevitable.

The kicker? November 8, 2016 we wanted to go on the warpath and spill blood and "you" said "Shame on us."

Same with States Rights. When we wanted to institute States Rights you called us racist. 21 January 2017:::States Rights is shaved pussy to you now. ha.

Thread
01-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Only 3 days and people are losing their shit :lol

This is worse than when they were selling your shit. Ooze.

Thread
01-24-2017, 09:33 PM
No it isn't inevitable. People like yourself will just talk tough on the internet and then do nothing more than wait for someone else to act, like you just did here. For the last 8 years liberals have told extremely well armed conservatives that if they ever rose up against the government the military would annihilate them in a few days and now all of the sudden these same liberals are frothing at the mouth for their own revolution armed with nothing more than skinny jeans and pussyhats :lol

Go on, TSA, go on and testify!!!

Clipper Nation
01-24-2017, 09:36 PM
No it isn't inevitable. People like yourself will just talk tough on the internet and then do nothing more than wait for someone else to act, like you just did here. For the last 8 years liberals have told extremely well armed conservatives that if they ever rose up against the government the military would annihilate them in a few days and now all of the sudden these same liberals are frothing at the mouth for their own revolution armed with nothing more than skinny jeans and pussyhats :lol
San

boutons_deux
01-24-2017, 09:40 PM
R E V O L T !

National Parks Are Tweeting Climate Science After Trump Gags EPA

Refusing to be silenced by President Trump, some of America’s national parks have been tweeting about climate change.

While this might sound pedestrian (and it should), most Twitter handles managed by the National Park Service haven’t mentioned the topic since Trump staffers temporarily gagged the Department of the Interior account (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/us/national-park-service-trump-tweet.html?_r=2) for retweeting photos of his meager inauguration turnout.

The fear inside the agency is palpable; especially since Trump issued an edict (http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/315876-trump-bans-epa-employees-from-giving-social-media-updates) banning Environmental Protection Agency employees from sharing information on social media.

But today, some brave souls at Badlands National Park (https://twitter.com/BadlandsNPS) in South Dakota, and Golden Gate National Recreation Area (https://twitter.com/GoldenGateNPS) in California, decided to tweet truth to power.

Over the course of a few hours, the Badlands National Park Twitter account shared a series of facts about atmospheric carbon dioxide and ocean acidification. While the term “climate change” was never mentioned, the intent of the tweets was self-evident: Man-made activity is the primary driver of climate change.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/national-parks-are-tweeting-climate-science-after-trump-gags-epa-badlands-golden-gate

monosylab1k
01-24-2017, 09:41 PM
No it isn't inevitable. People like yourself will just talk tough on the internet and then do nothing more than wait for someone else to act, like you just did here.

:lmao pot meet kettle

monosylab1k
01-24-2017, 09:42 PM
The kicker? November 8, 2016 we wanted to go on the warpath and spill blood and "you" said "Shame on us."

Same with States Rights. When we wanted to institute States Rights you called us racist. 21 January 2017:::States Rights is shaved pussy to you now. ha.

When the revolution ends, I'll gift you a spot on the wall next to Kellyanne.

boutons_deux
01-24-2017, 10:18 PM
From Russia with love: How Donald Trump uses Kremlin propaganda techniques against the American people

Whatever the truth is about Trump and Putin, Trump's political rise was built on Russian-style propaganda

Writing at Small Wars Journal, Roman Skaskiw has highlighted (http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/nine-lessons-of-russian-propaganda) the following core principles of Russian propaganda:

Rely on dissenting political groups in Western countries for dissemination.
Domestic propaganda is most important.
Destroy and ridicule the idea of truth.
“Putin is strong. Russia is strong.”
Headlines are more important than reality, especially while first impressions are forming.
Demoralize.
Move the conversation.
Pollute the information space.
Gas lighting — accuse the enemy of doing what you are doing to confuse the conversation.

Trump and his spokespeople

appeal to “alternative facts (http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/22/media/alternative-facts-donald-trump/index.html),”

employ fake news and other forms of disinformation (http://www.salon.com/2017/01/24/sean-spicer-back-on-message-reality-isnt-real-and-we-should-all-pity-poor-donald-trump/),

exploit and amplify dissent between the Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders factions of the Democratic Party and

deploy Orwellian Newspeak (http://www.salon.com/2016/11/21/the-normalization-of-donald-trump-began-in-1984-how-george-orwells-newspeak-has-infected-the-news-media/).

The Trump team promotes a dystopian and apocalyptic vision of America where only the Great Leader with his supposed strength and virility can successfully intervene,

and displays blatant disregard for its campaign promises.

Trump’s people use Twitter and other social media

to cause controversy and distraction, as well as

to spread bullying behavior and insults, threats of violence against his political rivals,

militant nationalism and

conspiracy theories about “illegal” voters.

All of this represents a direct application of Russian propaganda strategies to American politics.

strategy for manipulating the public and news media would not be effective, however, if a pre-existing superstructure was not already in place.

In the United States, this takes the form of a right-wing news-entertainment system that is anchored by Fox News and whose tendrils include talk radio and a vast internet propaganda operation.

Trump’s use of Russian propaganda techniques is also made viable because of a nationwide decline in critical thinking skills, coupled with a 20-year growth in authoritarian values among conservatives, right-leaning independents and Republicans.

But for all their cynicism, the spin doctors and political technologists were, at this point, still trying to pull off an illusion of the truth.

Their stories were meant to be coherent, even if they were low on facts. When reality caught up — the audience caught on to the illusion in Moscow and the stories about Iraq broke down and the stock market crashed —

one reaction has been to double down, to deny that facts matter at all, to make a fetish out of not caring about them.

This has many benefits for rulers — and is a relief for voters.

Putin doesn’t need to have a more convincing story,

he just has to make it clear that everybody lies,

undermine the moral superiority of his enemies and

convince his people there is no alternative to him.

“When Putin lies brazenly he wants the West to point out that he lies,” says the Bulgarian political scientist Ivan Krastev, “so he can point back and say, ‘but you lie too.'”

And if everyone is lying then anything goes, whether it’s in your personal life or in invading foreign countries.

This is a (dark) joy. All the madness you feel, you can now let it out and it’s okay.

The very point of Trump is

to validate the pleasure of spouting shit,

the joy of pure emotion,

often anger, without any sense.

And an audience which has already spent a decade living without facts can now indulge in a full, anarchic liberation from coherence.

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/25/from-russia-with-love-how-donald-trump-uses-kremlin-propaganda-techniques-against-the-american-people/

boutons_deux
01-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Website given first question at Trump press conference scrubs video calling Clintons muderers

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer gave his first question during Tuesday’s press conference to a reporter from Lifezette, a news and opinion site that pushed a debunked claim alleging Bill and Hillary Clinton murdered their political foes.

The site, founded by conservative radio host Laura Ingraham, recently scrubbed referenced to the video, which claimed the former President and Secretary of State murdered several people who threatened their political aspirations,

Similarly, Ingraham’s site removed an article about the “Clinton Curse” which claimed it is “hard to deny that being close with the Clintons could kill you,” according to Right Wing Watch.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/website-given-first-question-at-trump-press-conference-scrubs-video-calling-clintons-muderers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

LifeZette gets WH press credentials? :lol

Thread
01-24-2017, 10:55 PM
When the revolution ends, I'll gift you a spot on the wall next to Kellyanne.

You'd have to go thru me to get to her. Here's the body of my recent Tweet to her:::

Jan 14 (https://twitter.com/Cub_Castleberry/status/820490021832527872)More

@KellyannePolls (https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls) You fight good, Kellyanne. Sometimes when you're fighting them I stand up in front of the TV for you. You are not alone!]]]

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 11:05 PM
Trump administration tells EPA to cut climate page from website: sources
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15906G

By Valerie Volcovici | WASHINGTON

U.S. President Donald Trump's administration has instructed the Environmental Protection Agency to remove the climate change page from its website, two agency employees told Reuters, the latest move by the newly minted leadership to erase ex-President Barack Obama's climate change initiatives.

The employees were notified by EPA officials on Tuesday that the administration had instructed EPA's communications team to remove the website's climate change page, which contains links to scientific global warming research, as well as detailed data on emissions. The page could go down as early as Wednesday, the sources said.

"If the website goes dark, years of work we have done on climate change will disappear," one of the EPA staffers told Reuters, who added some employees were scrambling to save some of the information housed on the website, or convince the Trump administration to preserve parts of it.

The sources asked not to be named because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

A Trump administration official did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

"Temporary"

monosylab1k
01-24-2017, 11:09 PM
You'd have to go thru me to get to her. Here's the body of my recent Tweet to her:::

Jan 14 (https://twitter.com/Cub_Castleberry/status/820490021832527872)More

@KellyannePolls (https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls) You fight good, Kellyanne. Sometimes when you're fighting them I stand up in front of the TV for you. You are not alone!]]]

:lol Kellyanne and Kobe are both hanging off a cliff. You can only save one of them. Who do you pick?

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 11:13 PM
No further information needed. Shhhhh...

House GOP quietly closes investigation into Flint water crisis
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/house-gop-quietly-closes-flint-mich-water-investigation/

While the Republican chairman signaled the apparent conclusion of the inquiry — Congress ended its session last week for a three-week holiday break — the panel’s senior Democrat insisted the investigation continues and accused Michigan’s Republican governor of stonewalling the committee over documents related to the Flint water crisis.

Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland, senior Democrat on the oversight panel, said he wants Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder to produce key Flint-related documents within 30 days. Cummings said Snyder and his administration have obstructed the committee’s investigation into the Flint crisis for a year, refusing to provide — or even search for — key documents.

Snyder’s intransigence has thwarted committee efforts to answer critical questions about what he knew as the crisis unfolded and why he didn’t act sooner to fix Flint’s water problem, Cummings said.

“Requiring Governor Snyder to finally comply with the committee’s request will allow us to complete our investigation and offer concrete findings and recommendations to help prevent a catastrophe like this from happening again,” Cummings wrote to Chaffetz. “In contrast, allowing Governor Snyder to flout the committee’s authority will deny the people of Flint the answers they deserve.”

It’s highly unlikely Republicans who control Congress will continue the inquiry next year.

monosylab1k
01-24-2017, 11:14 PM

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/house-gop-quietly-closes-flint-mich-water-investigation/

Swamp drained!.........right into an 8 year old Flint boy's cup.

Trill Clinton
01-24-2017, 11:16 PM

smh

benefactor
01-24-2017, 11:17 PM
I misjudged him. Looks like Trump might wind up being the Republicans useful idiot after all.

Th'Pusher
01-24-2017, 11:34 PM
I misjudged him. Looks like Trump might wind up being the Republicans useful idiot after all.

A little more than a useful idiot. Seems he'll use the ridiculous and staged shenanigans to distract the media and American populace while he ramrods a pretty hardcore conservative agenda through congress.

We'll see what comes of this populist agenda. As we've already seen with his proposal to implement congressional term limits, congress can pretty much curb anything they vehemently oppose with little opposition from Donald.

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 11:52 PM

Cue :cry but Obama criticized Fox News :cry equivalency.

TheSanityAnnex
01-24-2017, 11:55 PM

Cue :cry but Obama criticized Fox News :cry equivalency.

Time to log off Spurm. You're doing more crying than anyone not name boutons tonight.

Spurminator
01-24-2017, 11:59 PM
Time to log off Spurm. You're doing more crying than anyone not name boutons tonight.

Lots of material tonight.

And, as a bonus, it's actually real stuff that is really happening.

TheSanityAnnex
01-25-2017, 12:07 AM
Real stuff that will be over in week type real stuff?

baseline bum
01-25-2017, 12:10 AM

I didn't. About the best case scenario for Trump's term is that he actually lives up to his campaign promises of not eliminating Medicare the way Ryan wants. The Senate Democrats need to filibuster everything including any supreme court nominee.

Spurminator
01-25-2017, 12:14 AM
I appreciate the optimism that the EPA will be business as usual in a week, but that seems unsupported. If Trump is going to go apeshit every time a news agency publishes something he doesn't like, imagine how difficult it's going to be for an agency under his control.

Thread
01-25-2017, 12:14 AM
:lol Kellyanne and Kobe are both hanging off a cliff. You can only save one of them. Who do you pick?

That's a good one, Mono. Kobe,,,he's remained fast in the ranks when all about him was chaos. She's still in the testing stages. You can tell that her and Spicer, all of them except for the bloodline are susceptible to flight. Everyone loves to experience the rush of [fight---or---flight] it's a charge. But, how much can they take? How much will they take? They don't want to end up like Christie, with that look upon his face. It's horribly indicative of what can happen when you choose flight over fight.

Clipper Nation
01-25-2017, 12:18 AM
Trump administration tells EPA to cut climate page from website: sources
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15906G

"Temporary"
So, in other words, the page hasn't been deleted yet, the only sources are anonymous (like a Chris Broussard article), and the administration has said nothing on the matter. But by all means, please keep helping Trump get re-elected by throwing bitchfits over every article that mentions his name. :tu

Spurminator
01-25-2017, 12:24 AM
So, in other words, the page hasn't been deleted yet, the only sources are anonymous (like a Chris Broussard article), and the administration has said nothing on the matter. But by all means, please keep helping Trump get re-elected by throwing bitchfits over every article that mentions his name. :tu

You keep on :cheer

I'm far more concerned about 2017 than I am about 2020.

Clipper Nation
01-25-2017, 12:25 AM

A useful idiot for the Republicans would have never pulled us out of the TPP. They also would never sign the EOs on immigration that Trump is signing tomorrow. The true useful idiots of the GOP (the Rubios and Ryans) are hardcore open-borders globalists.

Clipper Nation
01-25-2017, 12:26 AM
You keep on :cheer

I'm not :cheer. I'm just not getting outraged over nothing.

SnakeBoy
01-25-2017, 12:27 AM
It's all so scary. I'm scared.

TheSanityAnnex
01-25-2017, 12:29 AM
I appreciate the optimism that the EPA will be business as usual in a week, but that seems unsupported. If Trump is going to go apeshit every time a news agency publishes something he doesn't like, imagine how difficult it's going to be for an agency under his control.

The only thing supporting your doomsday predictions tonight are anonymous sources.

Spurminator
01-25-2017, 12:40 AM
The only thing supporting your doomsday predictions tonight are anonymous sources.

We'll find out soon enough on the EPA/USDA stuff. Maybe they'll back off because of the overwhelming reaction against them.

But there's plenty that has already happened to warrant concern about the version of reality these people are going to try to sell. Lying about irrelevant but quantifiable voting/attendance facts, threatening the press, staging photo ops and making statements to basically bait people into meaningless arguments... Why is any of this necessary if their real interest is making America great again?

Spurminator
01-25-2017, 12:43 AM
I'm not :cheer. I'm just not getting outraged over nothing.

You keep bringing up 2020 as though every day is a new game to determine the next election. All of this will be forgotten in 2020. I'm hoping it's not because we've been numbed to expect this kind of thing.

TheSanityAnnex
01-25-2017, 12:52 AM
We'll find out soon enough on the EPA/USDA stuff. Maybe they'll back off because of the overwhelming reaction against them.

But there's plenty that has already happened to warrant concern about the version of reality these people are going to try to sell. Lying about irrelevant but quantifiable voting/attendance facts, threatening the press, staging photo ops and making statements to basically bait people into meaningless arguments... Why is any of this necessary if their real interest is making America great again?At this point who knows. Maybe this is all some master plan that seems fucked up on the surface and ends up working out. No one took Trump seriously and mocked every move he made while on the campaign and look how that worked out. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the meltdown from the left over every little thing he does. Maybe I'll reassess a year from now but not anytime soon, the butthurt after 3 days is just too good to not enjoy.

TheSanityAnnex
01-25-2017, 12:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/z4n0xNy.gif (http://i.imgur.com/z4n0xNy.gif)

Clipper Nation
01-25-2017, 12:56 AM
You keep bringing up 2020 as though every day is a new game to determine the next election. All of this will be forgotten in 2020. I'm hoping it's not because we've been numbed to expect this kind of thing.

It has less to do with this EPA thing or any other individual story and more to do with the fact that the left is quickly becoming the boy who cried wolf. When everything Trump says and does is spun as "proof" that he's Hitler 2.0, even legitimate criticisms of the job he's doing will soon fall on deaf ears. The left-wing outrage machine is already intolerable to normal Americans, and from the sound of things, it's only going to get more shrill and more irrational.

ElNono
01-25-2017, 01:10 AM
It's all so scary. I'm scared.

chill, there's no zombies to worry about (yet).

SnakeBoy
01-25-2017, 01:40 AM

But there's plenty that has already happened to warrant concern about the version of reality these people are going to try to sell. Lying about irrelevant but quantifiable voting/attendance facts, threatening the press, staging photo ops and making statements to basically bait people into meaningless arguments... Why is any of this necessary if their real interest is making America great again?

What do you think their real interest is?

Wild Cobra
01-25-2017, 02:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/z4n0xNy.gif (http://i.imgur.com/z4n0xNy.gif)

LOL...

The original, unedited starts at about 1:50, here:

link: January 23, 2017; Executive Orders Signings (https://www.c-span.org/video/?422484-1/president-trump-calls-tpp-withdrawal-great-thing)

TheSanityAnnex
01-25-2017, 02:47 AM
LOL...

The original, unedited starts at about 1:50, here:

link: January 23, 2017; Executive Orders Signings (https://www.c-span.org/video/?422484-1/president-trump-calls-tpp-withdrawal-great-thing)lol nice catch WC. These kids are so good these days I can't tell when it's fake

spurraider21
01-25-2017, 02:55 AM
At this point who knows. Maybe this is all some master plan that seems fucked up on the surface and ends up working out. No one took Trump seriously and mocked every move he made while on the campaign and look how that worked out. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the meltdown from the left over every little thing he does. Maybe I'll reassess a year from now but not anytime soon, the butthurt after 3 days is just too good to not enjoy.i like how "lol its funny to see the left meltdown" is more important to you than the president doing good for the country

ElNono
01-25-2017, 06:06 AM
Somebody is making money with it...

George Orwell's '1984' Tops Amazon's Bestseller List

Sales of George Orwell's dystopian drama 1984 have soared after Kellyanne Conway, adviser to the reality-TV-star-turned-president, Donald Trump, used the phrase "alternative facts" in an interview. As of Tuesday, the book was the sixth best-selling book on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-books-Amazon/zgbs/books?mc_cid=c39c026f87&mc_eid=10fb55032a). Comparisons were made with the term "newspeak" used in the 1949 novel, which was used to signal a fictional language that aims at eliminating personal thought and also "doublethink (https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jan/24/george-orwell-1984-sales-surge-kellyanne-conway-alternative-facts)." In the book Orwell writes that it "means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." The connection was initially made on CNN's Reliable Sources (http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/22/media/alternative-facts-donald-trump/). "Alternative facts is a George Orwell phrase," said Washington Post reporter Karen Tumulty. Conway's use of the term was in reference to White House press secretary Sean Spicer's comments about last week's inauguration attracting "the largest audience ever". Her interview was widely criticized and she was sub-tweeted by Merriam-Webster dictionary (https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/823221915171061760) with a definition of the word fact. In 1984, a superstate wields extreme control over the people and persecutes any form of independent thought. UPDATE 1/24/17 6:56PM PST: Orwell's dystopian novel is now the #1 Best Seller in Books on Amazon.

Thread
01-25-2017, 06:09 AM
Somebody is making money with it...

George Orwell's '1984' Tops Amazon's Bestseller List

Sales of George Orwell's dystopian drama 1984 have soared after Kellyanne Conway, adviser to the reality-TV-star-turned-president, Donald Trump, used the phrase "alternative facts" in an interview. As of Tuesday, the book was the sixth best-selling book on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-books-Amazon/zgbs/books?mc_cid=c39c026f87&mc_eid=10fb55032a). Comparisons were made with the term "newspeak" used in the 1949 novel, which was used to signal a fictional language that aims at eliminating personal thought and also "doublethink (https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jan/24/george-orwell-1984-sales-surge-kellyanne-conway-alternative-facts)." In the book Orwell writes that it "means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." The connection was initially made on CNN's Reliable Sources (http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/22/media/alternative-facts-donald-trump/). "Alternative facts is a George Orwell phrase," said Washington Post reporter Karen Tumulty. Conway's use of the term was in reference to White House press secretary Sean Spicer's comments about last week's inauguration attracting "the largest audience ever". Her interview was widely criticized and she was sub-tweeted by Merriam-Webster dictionary (https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/823221915171061760) with a definition of the word fact. In 1984, a superstate wields extreme control over the people and persecutes any form of independent thought. UPDATE 1/24/17 6:56PM PST: Orwell's dystopian novel is now the #1 Best Seller in Books on Amazon.

That always happens whenever the Democrats are on their ass. "1984" flies off the shelves, there is rioting in the streets, there is looting, lots of looting + calls for the WH to be blown to smithereens.

TeyshaBlue
01-25-2017, 08:16 AM

But he did it first! :rolleyes

hater
01-25-2017, 08:21 AM
:lol im actually reading V for Vendetta niggas thats actually a better depiction than 1984 :lol

Still, why i everybody bitching and surprised? Trump is doing what he promised his voters who voted him in. No surprises here tbqh

TeyshaBlue
01-25-2017, 08:24 AM
It is getting new-speakey in the capital.

pgardn
01-25-2017, 08:46 AM
:lol im actually reading V for Vendetta niggas thats actually a better depiction than 1984 :lol

Still, why i everybody bitching and surprised? Trump is doing what he promised his voters who voted him in. No surprises here tbqh

Oh get the hell outta here. You really wanna go through a list?

Is Hillary going to jail?

baseline bum
01-25-2017, 08:50 AM
i like how "lol its funny to see the left meltdown" is more important to you than the president doing good for the country

Yeah it's funny to see our president pushing loony conspiracy theories and outright falsehoods.

diego
01-25-2017, 08:59 AM
I came across this interview, very interesting. It's from a silicon Valley / big data type, it's very long because they broach several subjects but part is about political campaigns and how they are using IT, AI and data from social networks / cell phones / email etc to target people. He basically says that Obama pioneered it and Trump took it to the next level. Problem is it's in Spanish and I don't have time to translate, maybe later or someone wants to take a stab at it.

http://www.theclinic.cl/2017/01/19/martin-hilbert-experto-redes-digitales-obama-trump-usaron-big-data-lavar-cerebros/

Spurminator
01-25-2017, 10:48 AM
What do you think their real interest is?

Crony capitalism on steroids, so far. Eliminate regulation by silencing any scientific justification for that regulation.

vy65
01-25-2017, 11:36 AM
http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/conway-press-secretary-gave-alternative-facts-860142147643

Lol

boutons_deux
01-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Rep. Lamar Smith urges Americans to get their new facts and news 'directly from the president' (http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1/24/1624511/-Rep-Lamar-Smith-urges-Americans-to-get-their-new-facts-and-news-directly-from-the-President)

After praising the President on the House floor for things like his “stamina,” and “conviction,”

Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX) criticized the press for, in his view,

skipping over the Trump's positive attributes.

“No, the national liberal media won’t print that or air it or post it,”

Smith said.

“Better to get your news directly from the President.

In fact, it might be the only way to get the unvarnished truth.”

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/01/24/1624511/-Rep-Lamar-Smith-urges-Americans-to-get-their-new-facts-and-news-directly-from-the-President?detail=email&link_id=8&can_id=4217e8eb109c68bd0c2e4143dd2d8c15&source=email-trumps-mentally-ill-says-paul-krugman-2&email_referrer=trumps-mentally-ill-says-paul-krugman-2&email_subject=trumps-mentally-ill-says-paul-krugman

:lol

Very Pootin-esque of the old inherited-wealth white guy from Alamo Heights TX to say Trash is only trustable source of The Truth.

TheSanityAnnex
01-25-2017, 03:06 PM

You want to make another ELE bet to welch on? How long until you think he'll be impeached? I'll take the over. I win your bitch ass leaves the board, I lose I'm gone.

You going to take the bet Reck?

CosmicCowboy
01-25-2017, 03:15 PM
You going to take the bet Reck?

Reck will just welch like he did last time. He's a welching faggot.

Reck
01-25-2017, 03:47 PM
You going to take the bet Reck (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14412)?

I cant make a bet with someone whom I dont respect. You're a joke. Honoring any bet is a waste of time as you are just a looney.

Clipper Nation
01-25-2017, 04:18 PM
I cant make a bet with someone whom I dont respect. You're a joke. Honoring any bet is a waste of time as you are just a looney.

:lol A welcher talking about "respect."

TheSanityAnnex
01-25-2017, 04:23 PM
You are such a babydick :lol
I'm not sure what's more embarrassing, this excuse or your actual welsh.

Reck
01-25-2017, 04:40 PM
You are such a babydick :lol
I'm not sure what's more embarrassing, this excuse or your actual welsh.

But I'm not the one crying about being trolled for months. :lol

spurraider21
01-25-2017, 07:28 PM
Trump administration mandating that any studies or data from scientists at the EPA undergo review by political appointees before they can be released to the public

Jesus

boutons_deux
01-25-2017, 07:30 PM
review by political appointees

aka, Ministry of Truth

Just pop some "soma" and chill.

TheSanityAnnex
01-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Is Hillary going to jail?She's definitely not in the clear yet.

Last week the FBI released another 500 pages from the ongoing Clinton Foundation investigation. https://vault.fbi.gov/william-j.-clinton-foundation/william-j.-clinton-foundation-part-02-of-02/view summary of some interesting findings here https://cfgate.wordpress.com/2017/01/20/more-fbi/

baseline bum
01-25-2017, 10:25 PM
Trump administration mandating that any studies or data from scientists at the EPA undergo review by political appointees before they can be released to the public

Jesus

What did you think a Trump presidency was going to be like? :lol

angrydude
01-25-2017, 10:27 PM

Funny, when things reached a boiling point for the right they won an election.

Apparently when it reaches a boiling point for the left they become violent.

Good luck ever getting widespread political power again after Trump makes America great again.

Th'Pusher
01-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Funny, when things reached a boiling point for the right they won an election.

Apparently when it reaches a boiling point for the left they become violent.

Good luck ever getting widespread political power again after Trump makes America great again.

:lol angrydude is now a full-throated Trump supporter

spurraider21
01-25-2017, 11:00 PM
What did you think a Trump presidency was going to be like? :lol
was just hoping he's a loud, harmless mouthpiece

boutons_deux
01-25-2017, 11:06 PM
Trash ain't gonna make America great again.

Look at his agenda, look at the Repugs' platform.

There ain't no greatness for the 99%, only enrichment, empowerment for BigCorp/1%/BigFinance.

boutons_deux
01-25-2017, 11:08 PM
http://www.pensitoreview.com/2017/01/25/beyond-fact-checking-why-trumps-lies-are-beside-the-point/

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-01-23/why-trump-s-staff-is-lying

DMX7
01-25-2017, 11:26 PM

You should be reading American Psycho.

boutons_deux
01-26-2017, 08:20 AM
Agriculture Department lifts USDA gag order after public outcryThe department was temporarily banned from sharing its research with the people whose taxes fund it

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/25/agriculture-department-lifts-usda-gag-order-after-public-outcry/