PDA

View Full Version : strong hints Gasol is opting in

K...
01-28-2017, 09:54 PM
"My intention is to continue here, and to be here as long as I can," said Gasol, who will turn 37 before the start of the 2017-18 season."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/veteran-pau-gasol-intends-to-fulfill-his-two-year-contract-with-the-spurs/

PopTheGOAT
01-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Sounds not so much like a hint, but like him basically saying he's coming back lol

spursparker9
01-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Too late tbh.

He should signed here in 2014 tbh

lilbthebasedgod
01-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Good. I like him overall.

Mr. Body
01-28-2017, 10:17 PM
I like him. Great.

RD2191
01-28-2017, 10:17 PM
I honestly don't mind pau or parker...as long as they're coming off the bench.

Darius Bieber
01-28-2017, 10:39 PM
of course he is. He wouldn't get paid a quarter of what is contract is worth if he opted out and signed elsewhere.

K...
01-28-2017, 11:09 PM
of course he is. He wouldn't get paid a quarter of what is contract is worth if he opted out and signed elsewhere.

The article says otherwise, but it's just the writers speculation, specifically the blazers would pay $16m

cd021
01-28-2017, 11:11 PM
I like him but hop he opts opt or, at least opts out and resigns with a two year deal to help the Spurs retain Dedmon and Mills.

TheGreatYacht
01-29-2017, 12:47 AM
I honestly don't mind pau or parker...as long as they're coming off the bench.
I agree

james evans
01-29-2017, 12:57 AM
The article says otherwise, but it's just the writers speculation, specifically the blazers would pay $16m
BULLSHIT!!

i hope when Parker's contract is up, he doesn't fool the front office by saying, "The Nets are offering me $25 million for next season...."

itzsoweezee
01-29-2017, 02:09 AM
If it's between Pau or Dedmon, I'd rather have Dedmon.

SAGirl
01-29-2017, 06:51 AM
I am starting to miss Gasol TBH... I didn't think I would, but Dedmon hasn't stepped up like I thought, Lee is starting games instead... And frankly, As much as I liked Davis, he has definite adjustment issues to the league defensively and he doesnt rebound. I didn't think I'd miss Gasol but I do miss him.

r0drig0lac
01-29-2017, 07:47 AM
"My intention is to continue here, and to be here as long as I can," said Gasol, who will turn 37 before the start of the 2017-18 season."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/veteran-pau-gasol-intends-to-fulfill-his-two-year-contract-with-the-spurs/
https://media.giphy.com/media/kHU8W94VS329y/giphy-downsized-large.gif

jermaine
01-29-2017, 08:06 AM
I don't understand the hate on Paul so much! The man is a champion an the reason Kobe got his last 2 if I'm not mistaken. He s old.... what the fuck do you'll expect. Everyone is not Tim godt damn Duncan... It's like getting mad at Simmon cuz he's not Ginobili. I see why some people calls most Spurs fans spoiled. He still passes well, shoot well, an rebound somewhat. Dedmon can't do half the shit Pual does. An I like Dedmon!

BillMc
01-29-2017, 08:13 AM
I don't understand the hate on Paul so much! The man is a champion an the reason Kobe got his last 2 if I'm not mistaken. He s old.... what the fuck do you'll expect. Everyone is not Tim godt damn Duncan... It's like getting mad at Simmon cuz he's not Ginobili. I see why some people calls most Spurs fans spoiled. He still passes well, shoot well, an rebound somewhat. Dedmon can't do half the shit Pual does. An I like Dedmon!

Agree with all this. Though I'm beginning to be a little disappointed in Dedmon. He's really not taking advantage of his opportunity with Pau out.

sasaint
01-29-2017, 08:18 AM
I am starting to miss Gasol TBH... I didn't think I would, but Dedmon hasn't stepped up like I thought, Lee is starting games instead... And frankly, As much as I liked Davis, he has definite adjustment issues to the league defensively and he doesnt rebound. I didn't think I'd miss Gasol but I do miss him.

This. Deadman still has time to step up, but he needs to do it NOW!

james evans
01-29-2017, 10:30 AM
you don't understand the hate? Do you watch the games????? All you have to do is just watch ONE game, and not the online full game highlights" and you'll understand why we hate a 7 foot center that is more comfortable at shooting 3s than posting up, doesn't even attempt to block most layups coming into the paint, and can't box out for a rebound worth shit. If those aren't legitimate reasons for hating Gasol, then there is no case for any player in the league being disliked by fans of their teams

james evans
01-29-2017, 10:31 AM
This. Deadman still has time to step up, but he needs to do it NOW!
Well, stepping up would actaully require that he's on the court playing. I don't know if you've noticed, but David Lee starts and gets the minutes

gambit1990
01-29-2017, 01:04 PM
i'm still under the impression that his intensity will rise in the playoffs...

jermaine
01-29-2017, 01:30 PM
you don't understand the hate? Do you watch the games????? All you have to do is just watch ONE game, and not the online full game highlights" and you'll understand why we hate a 7 foot center that is more comfortable at shooting 3s than posting up, doesn't even attempt to block most layups coming into the paint, and can't box out for a rebound worth shit. If those aren't legitimate reasons for hating Gasol, then there is no case for any player in the league being disliked by fans of their teams

I have league pass... So I watch every game. An there's a reason Lee gets waaaaaaay more mins than Dedmon even with a full roster. No Pual doesn't rebound like a 7ftr should... that's why I said the man is old.. but also like I said. He passed well, spreads the floor, an is a proven champion. Even with the hate on all our "Old guys". Not just him. They're old, but everyone wants these dudes to be them prime selves until they retire... Where's the respect!?!

still.focused
01-29-2017, 02:04 PM
San Antonio should move him to the bench for the POs (where he should be)
Maybe it discourages him from opting in thinking thats his new role
If he asks you tell him hell yeah thats your new role duck
If he pouts bitches or doesnt produce in a contract yr its his own ass

james evans
01-29-2017, 02:47 PM
I have league pass... So I watch every game. An there's a reason Lee gets waaaaaaay more mins than Dedmon even with a full roster. No Pual doesn't rebound like a 7ftr should... that's why I said the man is old.. but also like I said. He passed well, spreads the floor, an is a proven champion. Even with the hate on all our "Old guys". Not just him. They're old, but everyone wants these dudes to be them prime selves until they retire... Where's the respect!?!
So you watch every game and don't understand why we don't like Gasol? :lol Being old doesn't mean you can't challenge a shot coming in the paint. Duncan's been old for us. He at least attempted to block shots.

jermaine
01-29-2017, 04:05 PM
So you watch every game and don't understand why we don't like Gasol? :lol Being old doesn't mean you can't challenge a shot coming in the paint. Duncan's been old for us. He at least attempted to block shots.

Like I said in my previous post if you read.... Everyone ain't Duncan.... Then you bring up what Duncan did!!! Like I said before. "Everyone ain't Tim godt damn Duncan "!!!

james evans
01-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Like I said in my previous post if you read.... Everyone ain't Duncan.... Then you bring up what Duncan did!!! Like I said before. "Everyone ain't Tim godt damn Duncan "!!!
You don't have to be Duncan to attempt to block shots and box out on rebounds You can literally grab someone off the street to do that

jermaine
01-29-2017, 08:54 PM
You don't have to be Duncan to attempt to block shots and box out on rebounds You can literally grab someone off the street to do that

The why does "The G.O.A.T" coach doesn't take your advice an not start him an just pick up someone off the street?? Please let me know.... I'll wait.

spursistan
03-22-2017, 12:06 PM

So you're telling me there is a chance? Secretly wishing he opts out, the Spurs desperately need a new starting PG (And he is not Paddy Mills)..There is no escaping this fact..

GSH
03-22-2017, 12:13 PM
Strong hint Gasol is opting in:

$16,197,500

TheGreatYacht
03-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Better than Dewayne Errors tbh

rjv
03-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Dedmon is starting to tun into a one trick pony. Gasol seems to know his role and is starting to mesh. I'd have no problem with him opting to stay.

SAGirl
03-22-2017, 02:26 PM
He does sound like he has changed his tune.
First it was I am here and will continue here. It even sounded like he wanted to retire a Spur.
Now it's let's wait and see.

Getting benched may have hurt his ego enough to where if the Spurs don't ring he will consider options. He also may consider opting out to negotiate a different deal. He's still a very good offensive player and could still get paid plus start maybe. Not saying there's discontent but winning cures everything and not winning makes certain egos care about other stuff. I'd like Pau back tbh.

gambit1990
03-22-2017, 02:32 PM
i would be surprised if he left.

unless it was to go to memphis.

BillMc
03-22-2017, 04:33 PM
He does sound like he has changed his tune.
First it was I am here and will continue here. It even sounded like he wanted to retire a Spur.
Now it's let's wait and see.

Getting benched may have hurt his ego enough to where if the Spurs don't ring he will consider options. He also may consider opting out to negotiate a different deal. He's still a very good offensive player and could still get paid plus start maybe. Not saying there's discontent but winning cures everything and not winning makes certain egos care about other stuff. I'd like Pau back tbh.

It could be the ego thing of not starting. Very possible. It also could be the Spurs have already floated the idea of a longer contract at a lower per year to give them flexibility. Neither would surprise me.

As Gambit said, Memphis really would be the only other place for him. (I suppose his old boss Phil Jackson could coming calling for a triangle center offering a ridiculous salary, but who trades the SPurs for Knicks chaos? :lol)

At some level Pau must have been ok with being a bench player because he signed before we knew if Timmy was retiring. If Timmy had been healthy, Pau would have been on the bench. But playing behind an unskilled guy like Dedmon has to irk a HOFer. Pop has to emphasize Pau gets ALL the shots when on the bench.

spursistan
03-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Not sure why few people are dismissing the idea of Pau opting out..It is not like he's been terrible; he 's having one of his best seasons on per36mins basis..

And there are actually a couple or more suitors in the market that could be after his services: Memphis (to play with his brother if they let Zbo walk), Knicks (Phil/triangle) and Wolves (Thibs with a team in need for veteran leadership)..

GSH
03-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Getting benched may have hurt his ego enough to where if the Spurs don't ring he will consider options.

"Getting benched" is not the same thing as coming off the bench. Pau is still getting good minutes. And like he has said, finishing the game is more important than starting the game.

It also could be the Spurs have already floated the idea of a longer contract at a lower per year to give them flexibility.

So what kind of up-and-out could anyone offer him? 30M over 3 years? If Pau takes the Spurs' $16m next year, all he would have to get is 7+7 for the next two years to equal that. Even at his age, he could get 7+7 anywhere, as long as he doesn't get injured next season. I just don't see how Pau gets a better situation by opting out. Maybe he would agree to opt out and come back for 3/30 because he wants to stay here. But I'm totally expecting to see him in silver and black next season.

TD 21
03-23-2017, 12:22 AM
Not sure why few people are dismissing the idea of Pau opting out..It is not like he's been terrible; he 's having one of his best seasons on per36mins basis..

And there are actually a couple or more suitors in the market that could be after his services: Memphis (to play with his brother if they let Zbo walk), Knicks (Phil/triangle) and Wolves (Thibs with a team in need for veteran leadership)..

If Gasol opts out, I suspect it'll be as part of a wink-wink agreement with management, to essentially allow them to re-finance him on a multi-year contract and make it more palatable for them to re-sign Mills and Dedmon.

For obvious reasons, one should always come off as non committal, but he already tipped his hand earlier in the season and though things can obviously change and he's clearly not thrilled with his role offensively, there's no other team that can check as many boxes for him.

Of the three you listed, none can offer him even close to pseudo contender status or top two option status (and as a Grizzly, he'd not only have to remain a 6th man, but primarily defender power forwards, which he obviously can't do anymore).

SAGirl
03-23-2017, 12:26 AM
"Getting benched" is not the same thing as coming off the bench. Pau is still getting good minutes. And like he has said, finishing the game is more important than starting the game.
It's an expression... you know what I meant...

GSH
03-23-2017, 12:46 AM
It's an expression... you know what I meant...

I wasn't bashing you... seriously. I've listened to enough interviews, and they keep acting like he's been demoted in an insulting way. I think it hurts his pride a bit, just from some of his comments. How could it not? I was just saying that he almost has the best of both worlds. He's benefitting from coming off the bench, and he's still the guy in the game down the stretch. He's a "bench player" in the same way Manu was for so many years - a starter, just not starting. I don't think this has/will change his opinion about staying one bit.

I wish Dedmon was handling the starter role as well as Pau is handling the bench role.

SAGirl
03-23-2017, 12:59 AM
I wasn't bashing you... seriously. I've listened to enough interviews, and they keep acting like he's been demoted in an insulting way. I think it hurts his pride a bit, just from some of his comments. How could it not? I was just saying that he almost has the best of both worlds. He's benefitting from coming off the bench, and he's still the guy in the game down the stretch. He's a "bench player" in the same way Manu was for so many years - a starter, just not starting. I don't think this has/will change his opinion about staying one bit.

I wish Dedmon was handling the starter role as well as Pau is handling the bench role.
Yes I see your point.
its too hard to tell where the team is chemistry wise with Dedmon. Tony was injured so many games, Pop still experimenting this late in the season. He started Davis twice recently for a reason. There could be concerns offensively. Pop seems to still be testing things out this late and Pau was one who mentioned chemistry and set lineups as necessary for the team to get their act together. Sometimes it's injury and it can't be helped. Others one really wonders if there are issues. Personally I have voiced my thoughts that I don't think there are... but others like sasaint remain suspect.

we shouldn't forget how Dwest kept saying all the right things to then bolt as soon as game 6 was over essentially. I don't know.