PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades (01.29.2017) - Spurs vs. Mavs (101 - 105 L)

RodNIc91
01-31-2017, 12:39 AM
Hey guys, I’m sorry this took so long! It has been a very busy month with my bachelor’s degree coming to an end. I haven’t been able to keep up with the season as much as I would like to, so this grades are based on what I saw during the game, basically.

Game Recap:

The Spurs' effort throughout the game was inconsistent at best and it showed in the final results. At times, it seemed as if the Silver & Black were a Danny Green 3, a Patty Mills 3 or a Kawhi Leonard breakaway dunk from pulling away for good. But for the most part of the night, the Spurs shot theirselves in their feet -- the Mavs had no business making this a competitive game. However, they did adjusted after the first half and their play became less sloppy, as evidenced by their 6 TO's to the Spurs' 11. The Spurs never seemed to make an adjustment, despite the fact that Wesley Mathews, Harrison Barnes and Seth Curry were taking turns to score from everywhere on the floor.

Grades:

Lamarcus Aldridge – C-

LMA looked not interested out there. He only seems to care whenever he gets involved in the offense. Particularly, there was a sequence in the third quarter in which he took a highly contested fadeaway against Mejri – whom he owned throughout the game – instead of taking it to the rack. In the first half, it was a different story as different teammates (TP and David Lee come to mind) were setting him up and he responded by attacking aggressively. In defence, he was sloppy. He didn’t close out properly on the Mavs’ shooters and not always did he switched correctly.

Kawhi Leonard – B+

Our MVP did not display what we’re accustomed to see now: stellar play on both ends of the floor. Even though he went to the line 4 times, it seemed he had to demand the ball and go to the basket whenever the Spurs struggled to open the gap between them and the Mavs. On the other hand, he made a couple of great defensive plays – highlighted by the deflection on the Mathews pass and dunk and the late swat on Curry’s drive – but he couldn’t take that momentum into the offense in order to turn the game around. He should’ve demanded that shot after the Manu steal.

Davis Bertans – B+

One of the few bright spots along with Kawhi and David Lee. I don’t know why he didn’t play longer. Even though the boxscore doesn't show, he displayed a very complete offensive game. Not only his shooting, but also his passing was spot on. He picked his spots on O, not forcing the issue and competed very well on D against Dirk and Barnes. His help defence was very good and he ended up with a couple of blocks because of it.

Tony Parker – C

TP started out the game aggressively attacking the basket and seemed to keep the Mavs defence on its toes. However, he tried to force the issue when he got going and he was one of the reasons why the offense never got into a rhythm. I thought his man-to-man defence was adequate, but that is not saying much.

Danny Green – C+

LDN had an icy-hot type of game. His help defence was very good and he made three or four deflections that seemed to change the momentum yet the Spurs didn’t/couldn’t capitalize on it (that deflection in the last minute that was ruled as a timeout was a bad call). He had a good 3 that brought us back into the game, but the other 3 attempts he took could’ve changed the outcome had they not rimmed out.

Patty Mills – C

Patty Thrills was torched by whomever he was guarding and he didn’t have his microwave-type impact. Despite not being able to buy a bucket, that didn’t stop him from competing so it was good to see he was able to get 8 rebounds.

Manu Ginobili – B

Considering his diminished role on the team, I thought he played good. He commanded the attack from the bench and was one of the main reasons the team led the Mavs in the first half after falling behind. His impact throughout the game faded away, but he still managed to have some Manu-type impact plays, like the 3 to end the third and the steal with 1:44 to go in the 4th quarter. No wonder why he ended up with a team high +/- of +13.

David Lee – A-

He was the best Spur of the night. He was patient on offense taking what the defence gave him, either the jumpshot in the pick n pop or attacking the paint in the pick n roll. On defence, he gave his best effort and communicated really well with his teammates resulting in defensive plays such as a 24 seconds shot clock violation. The only knock on him was ending up with 3 boards.

Dewayne Dedmon – D+

He was mostly invisible during his 12 minutes out there. I liked a lot the chemistry he seems to have developed in the 2 man game with David Lee (I liked the fan that call this duo Ded - Lee). Other than that, his impact on defence – which is supposed to be his calling card – was not felt like other games this season.

Kyle Anderson – C-

A typical passive game for Kyle. Could’ve/would’ve/should’ve taken those open threes the defence (wisely) gave him. One of his calling cards is rebounding, but this game was not the case.

Pop – F

If LMA was seen throughout the game as if he didn’t care that much, Pop even more so. I thought this was one of the more disinterested jobs I´ve seen from him. He only cared when the officials wrongly called that timeout favouring the Mavs at the end of the game. Why didn’t he play Bertans more in the fourth instead of Kyle, when none of our bigs were bringing any offense and we were in a slump? Why Murray – who had been playing well lately – wasn't thrown in when both Parker and Mills disappeared? Why was it that he switched Kawhi into Barnes just by the end of the game when all of the damage was already made? Why on the world would you allow Steph Curry’s much less talented brother score 24 on you? Maybe its just me, but I didn’t saw any adjustments from him. His out of the timeout plays were also MIA.

All in all, a bad day in the office for the Spurs. On to the next one :flag:

P.S. Could someone teach me how to embed images to a post? I wanted to add the boxscore but I couldn't.

Robz4000
01-31-2017, 12:45 AM
Great write-up, thanks for putting in the time :tu

SAGirl
01-31-2017, 01:46 AM
Hey thanks for the grades!
Very much appreciated.
:flag:

For the boxscore, I just select a block of image and use copy/paste.
Personally I thought Patty had a bad game. Defensively he game up so many buckets it was terrible. I don't understand the Patty/Tony thing with Pop... why he goes to someone or the other, I imagine he went to Patty for his shooting, but he was off, didn't make shots throughout the game and was terrible on defense. I tend to think if Dejounte plays, they get a different result. (I will steer from the Tony/Patty thing bc I don't care, but Patty had definitely a bad game).

Lamarcus and Kawhi had opportunities down the stretch and didn't make shots or TO the ball. They were not particularly efficient either.

spurs10
01-31-2017, 03:07 AM
Thanks so much for taking the time on the grades! Especially when you're busy trying to graduate! Good luck!!
:bobo

apalisoc_9
01-31-2017, 03:26 AM
But Op is a Tony Parker hater cause he said he tried to force the issue :cry

pookenstein
01-31-2017, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the grades OP!

How do TP and Patty get the same grade in this game?

Honest answer please: if Patty went 8 of 12 with four assists and only one turnover in 23 minutes, what grade would you he given him?
And would you have given Parker a C had he gone 3 of 10 with two assists? Would the eight rebounds with only one turnover have been enough to match Pattys imaginary grade? I doubt it.

Other that that I agree with your grades. Specially Pop's F is warrented for sitting Bertans after two minutes in the third.

BillMc
01-31-2017, 04:20 AM
Nice write up. Many thanks. :toast

BillMc
01-31-2017, 04:28 AM
Pop sat Davis after 2 misses early in the third. I remember ((but it has been a while now) that one was sort of wild, but the other was within the offense and half way down. I wonder if it was a punishment. Shooters got to shoot. What is Pop's old phrase for Kawhi when he was deferring to the big 3. "I'll let you know when you're shooting too much."

It probably wasn't a punishment, probably just how the game unfolded. But it kinda seemed like he got yanked after putting up those shots.

ElNono
01-31-2017, 05:02 AM
thanks for the grades. good stuff :tu

BillMc
01-31-2017, 05:02 AM
https://cs7063.vk.me/c836323/v836323782/2bb5f/MyPxYE9hbi8.jpg

BillMc
01-31-2017, 05:05 AM
https://pp.vk.me/c836323/v836323782/2bb69/n14zuHv-YKE.jpg

Pocho La Pantera
01-31-2017, 05:50 AM
Thanks!

Brazil
01-31-2017, 06:53 AM
Great read, thanks

fair stuff

Brazil
01-31-2017, 06:54 AM
But Op is a Tony Parker hater cause he said he tried to force the issue :cry

if you can't see the difference between OP lines and let's say FkLA garbage there is nothing we can do for you

TheDoctor
01-31-2017, 07:24 AM
Thanks for taking your time and putting this OP :tu

daledondale
01-31-2017, 07:51 AM
Thanks for taking your time and putting this OP :tu

picnroll
01-31-2017, 07:52 AM
Good write up and grades minus Mills. A C for piss poor defense and lousy offense because he hustled? A chicken with its head cut off hustles too but I wouldn't give him a C for it.

SpursforSix
01-31-2017, 08:41 AM
I can't see LMA with that high of grade. He was brought in here to be a number 1 a number 2 option here. He's fairly out of shape, he's too soft, and he doesn't seem to care. And his offense has been less than impressive. His grade should automatically be a D until he shows some fire.

TheGreatYacht
01-31-2017, 08:43 AM

Honest answer please: if Patty went 8 of 12 with four assists and only one turnover in 23 minutes, what grade would you he given him?
And would you have given Parker a C had he gone 3 of 10 with two assists? Would the eight rebounds with only one turnover have been enough to match Pattys imaginary grade? I doubt it.

Other that that I agree with your grades. Specially Pop's F is warrented for sitting Bertans after two minutes in the third.
:lol exactly

Spurs9
01-31-2017, 09:35 AM
ctrl+f Anderson

TheDoctor
01-31-2017, 10:48 AM
ctrl+f Anderson
Big Heads cheat code?

Phenomanul
01-31-2017, 10:55 AM
Manu's huge three at the end of the game was for naught as well...

$pursDynasty
01-31-2017, 10:55 AM

First off thanks for the grades, as for the quote above I have come to accept there might be a little bit of player hate in some game grades, as long as the entire grade isn't a diatribe, ah well. I prefer them as objective as possible but we are human so there will be a little subjectivity that creeps in from time to time.