PDA

View Full Version : I do not understand why Murry doesn't get any time

SpursforSix
02-01-2017, 08:32 AM
Makes no sense. There were some stretches where we could have used his energy and athleticism. I'm just talking about a few minutes here and there. There were times where Parker and Mills looked like crap. Why not put the kid in there and see how he does. Pop is setting him up for failure or at least having an excuse why he doesn't play him in the postseason.

Anyone know why he went in the game late and was pulled after one possession?

playbonner15
02-01-2017, 08:54 AM
Made a mistake in defense + rookie treatment = getting benched. Pop probably thinks Dejuante will contemplate and become, not just a good bball player, but also a better person holistically

Yuixafun
02-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Yea man, entitlement feelings will kill your drive to become all you can be. Plus make you a shit team point guard. Pop isn't benching the player.... he's trying to make a boy a man.

MultiTroll
02-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Yea man, entitlement feelings will kill your drive to become all you can be. Plus make you a shit team point guard. Pop isn't benching the player.... he's trying to make a boy a man.
Except we have seen no, zero, nada entitlement feelings from Murray.
Is what Popped is doing effective, putting him in for one play and then pulling him? How exactly is this building anything at all in Murray? After the great games he had recently.

If anything, Pop has shown extreme entitlement to Parker and Manu over the last 5 years. Manu being left in to blow game 6 in Miami is disgusting.
Yes yes we have heard ad nauseum how military Pop scolded a 19 year old Parker and molded him into a better player. Great, one example in 20 years. Except that Pop had NO intention of pulling a sucking Parker in 2003. Kerrs explosion made possible only by a Parker injury.

The "Pop treats everyone the same" is such a b.s. myth.

cjw
02-01-2017, 10:26 AM
I think Pop would rather he play prolonged minutes that are game planned for or none at all, instead of spot garbage time minutes. Need to get Patty his minutes to get out of current funk.

There are probably at least 10 games the rest of the season where one of Parker or Mills will have scheduled rest and Murray will play 20+ minutes. Outside of that, his time is best spent practicing with the team or getting D League minutes. Don't see upside in him getting 3-4 minutes off the bench.

Fireball
02-01-2017, 10:38 AM
if parker and mills are available the third pg only gets garbage time or dnp cd ... thats always the case with pop

RD2191
02-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Pop is being a huge faggot per usual.

cd98
02-01-2017, 11:36 AM
I'm surprised Pop hasn't sent him to the D League to get some reps. I get him being the third point guard, but sitting at the end of the bench won't make him better.

bklynspursfan
02-01-2017, 11:39 AM
It makes sense if you have seen and understand how Pop operates.

Plus, like I was saying with Bertans, there are things these guys may not be picking up that we don't see. (It was said Bertans was having difficulties picking up defensive schemes for example) So while Murray can drive and score the ball very well and has shown some good things defensively, there are other details to the game that the average fan may not necessarily be paying attention to.

Dude is 20, it's not his time just yet. But if he continues his development he'll have a bright future

Blake
02-01-2017, 11:44 AM
He's still a sloppy ball handler and would have got torched on D out there last night.

I'm fine with him not playing much against quality teams. Give him lots of minutes against the new Jersey nets of the world tho

FuzzyLumpkins
02-01-2017, 11:52 AM
I love people questioning Pop's ability to develop players as if they have any clue at all all because their pet cat is getting no play.

If Murray goes down and starts chucking without running any offense he's going to get sat. Might as well get used to it.

MultiTroll
02-01-2017, 12:12 PM
He's still a sloppy ball handler and would have got torched on D out there last night.

I'm fine with him not playing much against quality teams. Give him lots of minutes against the new Jersey nets of the world tho
Cleveland 10 days ago.
Would you like another cup of coffee?

Trueblood
02-01-2017, 12:37 PM
Except we have seen no, zero, nada entitlement feelings from Murray.
Is what Popped is doing effective, putting him in for one play and then pulling him? How exactly is this building anything at all in Murray? After the great games he had recently.

If anything, Pop has shown extreme entitlement to Parker and Manu over the last 5 years. Manu being left in to blow game 6 in Miami is disgusting.
Yes yes we have heard ad nauseum how military Pop scolded a 19 year old Parker and molded him into a better player. Great, one example in 20 years. Except that Pop had NO intention of pulling a sucking Parker in 2003. Kerrs explosion made possible only by a Parker injury.

The "Pop treats everyone the same" is such a b.s. myth.

Murray signed with LeBron's agency group. He's a diva in the making if we don't curb it early.

What's happening with Parker and Manu is not entitlement. An entitlement is getting something you don't deserve. Are you legitimately saying that Parker and Manu haven't earned the right to dictate some of their own terms? When they were young (especially rookies) pop treated them like crap. But comparing two 4 time champions that have become two of the biggest names in spurs history to a late round rookie who hasn't proved himself is apples and oranges.

Also name one other coach that would scream at and berate the franchise player in front of a national audience. He the most equitable coach I've ever seen

FuzzyLumpkins
02-01-2017, 12:42 PM
Murray signed with LeBron's agency group. He's a diva in the making if we don't curb it early.

What's happening with Parker and Manu is not entitlement. An entitlement is getting something you don't deserve. Are you legitimately saying that Parker and Manu haven't earned the right to dictate some of their own terms? When they were young (especially rookies) pop treated them like crap. But comparing two 4 time champions that have become two of the biggest names in spurs history to a late round rookie who hasn't proved himself is apples and oranges.

Also name one other coach that would scream at and berate the franchise player in front of a national audience. He the most equitable coach I've ever seen

So him picking an agency means he is a diva? That is pretty ignorant but what do you expect when dealing with someone who believe in human asexual reproduction.

Murray is 19 years old. I don't know why people have a hard time understanding what Pop is trying to do. It's like some of you have never been around teenagers since you were one.

Trueblood
02-01-2017, 12:54 PM
So him picking an agency means he is a diva? That is pretty ignorant but what do you expect when dealing with someone who believe in human asexual reproduction.

Murray is 19 years old. I don't know why people have a hard time understanding what Pop is trying to do. It's like some of you have never been around teenagers since you were one.

I'm not saying he is one. I'm talking about potential to become one

http://m.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Rookie-Spur-Dejounte-Murray-joins-Lebron-James-9052930.php

https://goo.gl/images/FYBbgi

As to the second part. Prayers and blessings to you.

tonight...you
02-01-2017, 12:55 PM
I love people questioning Pop's ability to develop players as if they have any clue at all all because their pet cat is getting no play.

If Murray goes down and starts chucking without running any offense he's going to get sat. Might as well get used to it.
Absolutely. Same thing happened the last game.
He gets put in, goes down and does His thing, not trying to run the offense and he gets pulled.
Last night he gets put in, immediately tries to eat- get's sat.

He wants Murray to get into the flow of the offense and the offense into some semblance of a flow before trying to eat right off the bat.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-01-2017, 12:59 PM

http://m.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Rookie-Spur-Dejounte-Murray-joins-Lebron-James-9052930.php

And I am saying his choice of agent is irrelevant. You remind me of the people that had kittens when Dez signed with Roc Nation.

MultiTroll
02-01-2017, 01:02 PM

That is some scary stuff to be sure.
But trying to embarrass him with goofy 30 second in and outs isn't going to cure that.

Remember when Parker was hanging with rap morons and got his eye cut circa 2009?
CIA Pop didn't do shit to stop his chucking / bad D ways.

Any way to get him to hand around Kwa off the court? :toast

Trueblood
02-01-2017, 01:03 PM
And I am saying his choice of agent is irrelevant. You remind me of the people that had kittens when Dez signed with Roc Nation.

Who is having kittens? I'm saying based off of his choices and people he parties with (as evidenced by the pictures on social media) he has the potential to believe he is better than he currently is. He needs to know who he is and stay within himself.

No meltdown here my friend. Just a cautionary tale.

bklynspursfan
02-01-2017, 01:12 PM
But trying to embarrass him with goofy 30 second in and outs isn't going to cure that.

Remember when Parker was hanging with rap morons and got his eye cut circa 2009?

TP in 2009 was already a 3 time champ & finals MVP. That comparison isn't accurate.

Either way , Pop isn't benching Murray for who he's hanging out or has hung out with.

MultiTroll
02-01-2017, 01:15 PM
TP in 2009 was already a 3 time champ & finals MVP. That comparison isn't accurate.
Why should the pursuit of more TEAM championships be derailed because of past individual participation in championships like Rappin Porker and Game 6 Alzheimers Manu?
Farks sake Timmy Dunks got f'd out of at least 2 more Championships.

It's such obvious entitlement.

gambit1990
02-01-2017, 01:24 PM
i guess pop doesn't think murray's capable of shooting 0 for 3 like parker did last night.

picnroll
02-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Like the way Kawhi took him under wing on the bench when he got pulled. Very TD like.

Floyd Pacquiao
02-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Pop is being a huge faggot per usual.

tonight...you
02-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Like the way Kawhi took him under wing on the bench when he got pulled. Very TD like.
Saw that.
Very nice leadership by Kawhi. Never seen him talk that much all at once to anybody before.

SpursforSix
02-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Saw that.
Very nice leadership by Kawhi. Never seen him talk that much all at once to anybody before.

I agree. I just hope it wasn't:

Murry : wow...why'd I get pulled so fast
Leonard: Pop is crazy. Just do your time and get out. I'm gone in a few myself.

tonight...you
02-01-2017, 01:45 PM
I agree. I just hope it wasn't:

Murry : wow...why'd I get pulled so fast
Leonard: Pop is crazy. Just do your time and get out. I'm gone in a few myself.
Nah, that team respects Pop still like crazy.
That part, in the 3rd, where they lost the lead and Pop refused to call a TO, til Billy D did and he let the players sit by themselves...
When he finally approached the huddle, they were staring at him like starving puppies, needing to be fed.

then he benched more than half of them, lol.

SpursforSix
02-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Nah, that team respects Pop still like crazy.
That part, in the 3rd, where they lost the lead and Pop refused to call a TO, til Billy D did and he let the players sit by themselves...
When he finally approached the huddle, they were staring at him like starving puppies, needing to be fed.

then he benched more than half of them, lol.

No complaints about Pop last night. Bertrans, Dedmon, and Simmons all showed some desire. I was shocked that Pop didn't call a TO during that run.
I'm still confused why he didn't play Murry. I guess you could say he made the right call because they came away with the W. But I disagree with some of the above that he would have been outmatched on D. It was a high energy back and forth game with a lot of sloppiness. I think he could have put in some good minutes. Both Parker and Mills made some terrible passing decisions and it's not like they were lighting it up. I get why you would give Parker more minutes but I don't know that Mills adds much over Murry.

Blake
02-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Cleveland 10 days ago.
Would you like another cup of coffee?

Because of Parker not playing.

Would you like another torch or pitchfork

Mikeanaro
02-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Dont post nonsense here! if he keeps playing at this rate he will only get better, do you want that!? Pop is freezing him to prevent his progress.

picnroll
02-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Dont post nonsense here! if he keeps playing at this rate he will only get better, do you want that!? Pop is freezing him to prevent his progress.

Of course Pop's freezing him to prevent his progress because that makes all the sense in the world.

Atl Spur
02-01-2017, 04:51 PM
I think holding the young pup accountable assuming he will be the lead guard for your franchise only makes sense to have him do things a certain way....... Break him and then build him up like they do in the armed services :)

UZER
02-01-2017, 05:04 PM

Oh this classic take again. Ok then nobody has any reason to critique anything unless they personally have experience in the field. Does that include being critical of Presidents?

HarlemHeat37
02-01-2017, 05:05 PM
There's a 1% chance of Pop benching Parker or Mills for Murray in the playoffs, tbh:lol

Pop is big on loyalty, as are most veteran coaches, he isn't going to give up on players that have been key Spurs for years in favor of a rookie..

Blake
02-01-2017, 05:10 PM
There's a 1% chance of Pop benching Parker or Mills for Murray in the playoffs, tbh:lol

http://static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/5329595+_4fd093379c2e36a5a86583add6ead7b5.png

FuzzyLumpkins
02-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Oh this classic take again. Ok then nobody has any reason to critique anything unless they personally have experience in the field. Does that include being critical of Presidents?

You don't even know the proper argument. The argument is "you don't need to be an expert to have an opinion."

OTOH, ignorance is a damn good excuse to ignore someone's opinion thus me saying they had no clue. Thanks for revealing that you have no experience though.

MultiTroll
02-01-2017, 06:09 PM

Pop is big on loyalty, as are most veteran coaches, he isn't going to give up on players that have been key Spurs for years in favor of a rookie..
Rookies in playoffs.
2002 Tony Porker starting all 10 playoff games. 34 min per game. The Spurs led going into the 4th qtr of all 5 games, yet lost to the Flamers 4-1.
2003 Manu GNob. 1st off the bench and got 27 minutes average by playing in every single game (24 in total).
2010 Dejuan Blair shot 56% and snapped down rebounds on a par with Timmy Dunker. Minutes cut in half in playoffs in favor of Matt Bonbon.
2012 Kwa Leonard started all 14 playoff games before the refs and Popped bf'd us.

HarlemHeat37
02-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Rookies in playoffs.
2002 Tony Porker starting all 10 playoff games. 34 min per game. The Spurs led going into the 4th qtr of all 5 games, yet lost to the Flamers 4-1.
2003 Manu GNob. 1st off the bench and got 27 minutes average by playing in every single game (24 in total).
2010 Dejuan Blair shot 56% and snapped down rebounds on a par with Timmy Dunker. Minutes cut in half in playoffs in favor of Matt Bonbon.
2012 Kwa Leonard started all 14 playoff games before the refs and Popped bf'd us.

I didn't say Pop doesn't play rookies, I said he wouldn't bench proven guys in favor of a rookie, especially at that position..

Manu is the only example there(Steve Smith got benched IIRC), but he was 25 years old and had championship experience overseas..

MultiTroll
02-01-2017, 06:20 PM
I didn't say Pop doesn't play rookies, I said he wouldn't bench proven guys in favor of a rookie, especially at that position..

Manu is the only example there(Steve Smith got benched IIRC), but he was 25 years old and had championship experience overseas..
Don't get your panties in a bunch, I know you didn't.
Just giving some Spurs Rookie Playoffs perspective.
Where Murray fits in, we will probably not find out. :pop::deadhorse

HarlemHeat37
02-01-2017, 06:22 PM
Murray will play next year when Patty and/or Manu are gone, tbh..

TP will probably start at PG until he's 40 years old, though IMO..

MultiTroll
02-01-2017, 06:25 PM
^^ If Parker does start til he's 40, I'll join the camp that hopes Kwa escapes before that to an team with ownership/management/coaching willing to sincerely compete for a Championship.

UZER
02-01-2017, 06:28 PM
You don't even know the proper argument. The argument is "you don't need to be an expert to have an opinion."

OTOH, ignorance is a damn good excuse to ignore someone's opinion thus me saying they had no clue. Thanks for revealing that you have no experience though.

Pulling the I'm smarter than you card because I can correct the intent of your post on a message board, nice! Yeah, you obviously understood what I meant if you went out of your way to correct what you think the argument should've been.

I'll remember that all of your thoughts on the president running the country are irrelevant as if you have any clue at all just because your pet candidate wasn't elected.

tonight...you
02-01-2017, 06:37 PM
Pulling the I'm smarter than you card because I can correct the intent of your post on a message board, nice! Yeah, you obviously understood what I meant if you went out of your way to correct what you think the argument should've been.

I'll remember that all of your thoughts on the president running the country are irrelevant as if you have any clue at all just because your pet candidate wasn't elected.

Umm... was he, or any of us talking about that? Weird shift in topic conversation...

Mikeanaro
02-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Of course Pop's freezing him to prevent his progress because that makes all the sense in the world.

:toast

SpursforSix
02-01-2017, 08:49 PM
Murray will play next year when Patty and/or Manu are gone, tbh..

TP will probably start at PG until he's 40 years old, though IMO..

Yeah? Then Pop has a chance to be one of the shittiest coaches ever.

Mr. Body
02-02-2017, 12:43 AM
Pop breaking him down a little. Making him get over himself.

lefty20
02-02-2017, 12:53 AM
What's not to understand? He's not the head of the snake, tbh.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-02-2017, 01:17 AM

No, that is just your inferiority complex talking. I never said that I was smarter. I said that you have no experience and you didn't know how to use a particular phrase correctly. That is not a zero sum situation that makes me more intelligent.

The political stuff is adorable in its obsessing but this is the Spurs board and you still have no knowledge or experience in basketball player development by your own admission and don't seem to have any knowledge that would apply. Ignorance remains a good reason to dismiss someone's argument.

duncan2k5
02-02-2017, 02:47 AM
I understood why pop sat him...he didn't run any offense and immediately went to take his own shot...we WANT him to be aggressive, but not selfish... Run some offense...get a feel for the game, then do ur thing when the time calls for it...but I also understand Murrays view...he wants to prove himself BADLY...but since he only got in the game with a couple minutes left, he tried to make them count...

When he is given a lot of minutes, we actually see him play much more sensibly... He is already one of my fav spurs on the team, and I hope he is here to stay...trust in Pop...u may not like his heavy handedness at times, but it will be much better in the long run than some coach that allows Murray to do whatever he wants with no discipline... That's how u end up being an average NBA PG...look at what Pop did with patty mills...and look atvpatty when he was in Portland... Look at what he did with George hill, cojo, etc...Murray is more skilled than all of them at the same age...I see greatness in Murrays future here

Trueblood
02-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Good take. Must have blocked out that time due to the bad memories.

I think kawahi would be a great mentor if he's willing to follow him. But he seems really close to LeBron and his crew and I don't get the feeling LeBron is a kawahi fan

ceperez
02-03-2017, 11:01 AM
He's got bad habits of a 20 year old, lack of situational awareness.

However, when he played against the Cavs and knew that he had to focus, he played well. Against Sixers, he played sloppy.

Solid D
02-03-2017, 09:47 PM

http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/DynamicImages/39f7163f-18a9-4d76-b0ef-a0c80099408c/3661.jpg http://horsetalk.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/spindles.jpg

Before and After

dabom
02-03-2017, 10:37 PM
http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/DynamicImages/39f7163f-18a9-4d76-b0ef-a0c80099408c/3661.jpg http://horsetalk.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/spindles.jpg

Before and After

:lmao

poeticism707
02-04-2017, 01:14 AM
There's a 1% chance of Pop benching Parker or Mills for Murray in the playoffs, tbh:lol..

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Budkin
02-04-2017, 02:32 AM

MaNu4Tres
02-04-2017, 08:31 AM

Exactly.

And Steve Smith was done tbh..

Crazymaddopeyo
02-04-2017, 12:00 PM
He's a rookie. Good choice by Pop.

UZER
02-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Exactly.

And Steve Smith was done tbh..

Just like Manu is.

Seventyniner
02-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Just like Manu is.

But Manu isn't the one ahead of Murray on the depth chart.

Parker isn't very good anymore but he isn't done done the way Smitty was then.