PDA

View Full Version : Article on Josh Howard

mavsfan1000
10-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Howard earns Mavericks' trust

By DWAIN PRICE

Star-Telegram staff writer

DALLAS - When Josh Howard went into training camp last year, his career was in limbo.

During the summer, the Mavericks had acquired Jerry Stackhouse. And the previous year, the small forward position had been ably manned by Michael Finley and Marquis Daniels.

Fast-forward a year later. Finley is gone, Daniels struggled last season, and Howard is one of the Mavs' players drawing compliments from the coaches. But the uncertainty of last summer has not been forgotten by the third-year swingman from Wake Forest.

"All the coaches were telling me I wasn't going to play last year, and I took that as motivation," Howard said. "In fact, my first two years in the NBA a lot of people didn't think I was going to play. But last year I just busted into the starting lineup and showed a lot of people what I can do."

Mavs coach Avery Johnson believes Howard has the skills to be one of the best all-around players in the league.

"We can't lump him with guys that are strictly defenders that have no offense," Johnson said. "We think he can be a well-rounded player, and we're going to ask him to move forward this year for us. We need him to grow defensively, but he's just a multi-talented guy who can do a lot of different things for us."

Johnson plans to use Howard frequently as a point forward this season. Howard, however, is not yet comfortable with the position.

"I've got to get more confidence in myself when it comes to play-calling," he said. "That's about the only thing I'm real shy about. This is my third year and I've still got a lot of room to grow. And I'm going to grow."

Last season Howard averaged 12.6 points and 6.4 rebounds during the regular season, and increased his production to 15.5 points and 7.4 rebounds in the playoffs. He also often guarded the opponent's best perimeter player and figures to improve defensively after receiving pointers from newcomer Doug Christie.

"I'm going to learn a lot from him," Howard said. "He's already speaking a lot to me and letting me know what's going on out there and how to play post defense, so I'm going to be listening with my ears wide open."

Howard said it's "a blessing" many basketball followers believe his upside is encouraging.

"I'm not going to try to predict what's going to happen with me this year," he said. "I'll just wait to go out there and try to play my hardest."

A humble player with immense pride, Howard explained the secrets to his success in simple terms.

"I just keep my mouth shut and just play hard-nosed basketball and not let anybody discourage me," he said. "That's a big part of me -- not letting anyone tell me that I can't do it.

"All I can do is just go out there and play, because I know Avery is going to coach me and he's going to let me know what I do wrong and what I do right."