PDA

View Full Version : Starting to make decent Money from an online business..Should I just quit university?

apalisoc_9
02-06-2017, 12:11 AM
I have about a year and half left from uni. Passed every course although the not the best grades...I have some opportunities waiting for me after graduation but mostly entry level pay in the industry. Health info systems.

The only complaint I have is the required programming classes that I have to take in order to complete my degree. I bled just trying to pass programming 1, and 2..passed both through tutoring from classmates.

In truth, I just memorized every possible exam questions, answered them all before the exams and applied it...But I am so bad at programming, I did not learn a single thing from Programming 1 and 2 and now Im at programming 3 doing the same thing...( Its like I am someone who cant speak Spanish but is now taking Academic writing in Spanish :lmao

I've got two online drop-shipping business thats giving me 2000-2500 of profit every 10 days...Im not sure if I should just continue with the online business...It is really the only money making avenue that I have been comfortable with....

Xevious
02-06-2017, 02:15 AM
It sounds like you need a new career track if you don't like it and struggle that much with the programming. But no, I wouldn't quit altogether for drop-shipping.

apalisoc_9
02-06-2017, 02:43 AM
It sounds like you need a new career track if you don't like it and struggle that much with the programming. But no, I wouldn't quit altogether for drop-shipping.

Man, if i do quit the program thats wasted credits. I have over 95 credits already. 30 of those are computer classes.

Xevious
02-06-2017, 07:12 AM
It also wastes credits if you quit school altogether.

lil'mo
02-06-2017, 08:33 AM
What do you sell in your business?

LaMarcus Bryant
02-06-2017, 08:48 AM
What do you sell in your business?

Cow tranquilizers

lil'mo
02-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Guarantee it's some weird shit

LaMarcus Bryant
02-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Prob sick smut tapes with like 2 dogs fucking a cat

UNT Eagles 2016
02-06-2017, 10:19 PM
He just reverted to Islam, so he probably sells hijabs, suicide bombs, and suicide hijabs.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-06-2017, 10:49 PM
Don't quit University, if you're this close to finishing, may as well see it through.

I. Hustle
02-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Here's some advice that I hope you take to heart.

Who gives a shit what you do? You think people here care? Does it affect us? No. GTFOOH

DJR210
02-07-2017, 01:08 PM
OP running a webcam business with his aunt

Chucho
02-07-2017, 04:32 PM
LOLoser OP lying about clearing 2k errr 1.5 weeks.

Stop lyin, Towelie.

Adam Lambert
02-07-2017, 05:40 PM
sell your business. if youre making 2500 every 10 days, a fair price for the business is 15000. standard cost is how much profit the business earns in 2 months.

quit school and use the money to start another business. you can also use the money they give you when they refund your school credits.

SpursforSix
02-07-2017, 05:54 PM
sell your business. if youre making 2500 every 10 days, a fair price for the business is 15000. standard cost is how much profit the business earns in 2 months.

quit school and use the money to start another business. you can also use the money they give you when they refund your school credits.

Did he say that was all profits? I think you're overstating the value of his business. You're not considering the time value of money either over those 2 months. His business is worth about $10,000.

I do agree that it's the right time to sell though and roll it all into something new. He should look into flipping houses.

EDIT : he did call it profit. But he also said 2000-2500. So I stand by the $10,000 valuation.

Adam Lambert
02-07-2017, 05:58 PM
Did he say that was all profits? I think you're overstating the value of his business. You're not considering the time value of money either over those 2 months. His business is worth about $10,000.

I do agree that it's the right time to sell though and roll it all into something new. He should look into flipping houses.

EDIT : he did call it profit. But he also said 2000-2500. So I stand by the $10,000 valuation.

i assumed the high end because the university student owned drop shipping sector is doing really well right now

UNT Eagles 2016
02-07-2017, 06:58 PM
15000? thats a shit sale for if you haul in 5k a month... why not flip a property and haul in 40-50k after closing costs? that only takes like 3 months maximum

pgardn
02-07-2017, 09:19 PM
15000? thats a shit sale for if you haul in 5k a month... why not flip a property and haul in 40-50k after closing costs? that only takes like 3 months maximum

You are offering business advice...

This like Trump offering advice on hair styles.

Mitch
02-07-2017, 09:45 PM
I paused going after my masters to run a business. If you have confidence in what you're doing then go after it, tbh - but come back to finish your education. I finished my my last year after things relaxed and I had the time.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-08-2017, 07:36 AM
You are offering business advice...

This like Trump offering advice on hair styles.

But seriously, why would you trade $5k/month cash flow for a measly $15k lump sum and bye-bye income?

UNT Eagles 2016
02-08-2017, 07:39 AM
I paused going after my masters to run a business. If you have confidence in what you're doing then go after it, tbh - but come back to finish your education. I finished my my last year after things relaxed and I had the time.

What's the point of having a graduate degree if you don't want to be working under people as an employee (a.k.a. being someone's bitch)? Now if the Ph.D. title makes you more popular and distinguished in some social circles then go for it, but ONLY do it for yourself and only yourself. Kind of like how I made my 4.0 GPA in undergrad. Employers care but that's far from the most important thing to them, and running a business certainly doesn't require a degree much less a specific GPA. I did it for ME.

Xevious
02-08-2017, 09:39 AM
I made my 4.0 GPA in undergrad. Employers care but that's far from the most important thing to them...
They usually care more about you being able to do the job you were hired to do, instead of complaining that you can't fit in.

Mitch
02-08-2017, 11:58 AM
What's the point of having a graduate degree if you don't want to be working under people as an employee (a.k.a. being someone's bitch)? Now if the Ph.D. title makes you more popular and distinguished in some social circles then go for it, but ONLY do it for yourself and only yourself. Kind of like how I made my 4.0 GPA in undergrad. Employers care but that's far from the most important thing to them, and running a business certainly doesn't require a degree much less a specific GPA. I did it for ME.

I'm a firm believer in finishing what you start, Tbh.

lebomb
02-08-2017, 12:04 PM
They usually care more about you being able to do the job you were hired to do, instead of complaining that you can't fit in.

Some positions require a degree period. It just depends on what you want to do career wise. If you want to be a doctor, engineer, architect or lawyer...... I would suggest the degree. :claw

UNT Eagles 2016
02-08-2017, 01:48 PM
I'm a firm believer in finishing what you start, Tbh.

But again, do it ONLY for yourself. Kind of like expanding your business (service, e-service, whatever it is... DON'T try to start a restaurant you will fail the profit isn't there) so you can pay yourself $1m instead of $500k before taxes and buy that extra Lamborghini you've always wanted.

Mitch
02-08-2017, 02:02 PM
But again, do it ONLY for yourself. Kind of like expanding your business (service, e-service, whatever it is... DON'T try to start a restaurant you will fail the profit isn't there) so you can pay yourself $1m instead of $500k before taxes and buy that extra Lamborghini you've always wanted.

Of course it's for yourself, Andrew. Don't think too far ahead if you ever try opening a business tho, still gotta find a new job :tu :lol

Chucho
02-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Are you serious? Restaurants and their success takes work, they definitely aren't for first time business owners. Don't buy the expensive and essential equipment brand new, especially if your kitchen is closed doors.

Restaurants have higher profit margins than movie companies and a whole lot of other industries. It's all about location, marketing and inventory/labor/cost management. AND you can buy a PROFITABLE franchise from day 1. Proven franchises where you can see the P&Ls and the books are listed by the thousands on Franchise Gator.

We're nearing $150k in income we either reinvest or pay taxes on. We're looking at a Pollo Loco that's up for sale for $250k in LA right now that does $900k-$1.3 million in sales with a 13% profit margin the last 8 years. Even at 1 milli, we're gonna have our money back in two years and then be raking in 100k or more per year off the location. Add two or three more locations and you're making $300k-$750k in profit AND you have physical assets.

If you're going to do a B+M, restaurants and gas stations are solid, safe bets so long you buy an established one. Why try and build from the ground up? I don't think you understand business ownership as much as you think you do.

Xevious
02-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Some positions require a degree period. It just depends on what you want to do career wise. If you want to be a doctor, engineer, architect or lawyer...... I would suggest the degree. :claw

Was mainly commenting on his unemployment status

UNT Eagles 2016
02-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Are you serious? Restaurants and their success takes work, they definitely aren't for first time business owners. Don't buy the expensive and essential equipment brand new, especially if your kitchen is closed doors.

Restaurants have higher profit margins than movie companies and a whole lot of other industries. It's all about location, marketing and inventory/labor/cost management. AND you can buy a PROFITABLE franchise from day 1. Proven franchises where you can see the P&Ls and the books are listed by the thousands on Franchise Gator.

We're nearing $150k in income we either reinvest or pay taxes on. We're looking at a Pollo Loco that's up for sale for $250k in LA right now that does $900k-$1.3 million in sales with a 13% profit margin the last 8 years. Even at 1 milli, we're gonna have our money back in two years and then be raking in 100k or more per year off the location. Add two or three more locations and you're making $300k-$750k in profit AND you have physical assets.

If you're going to do a B+M, restaurants and gas stations are solid, safe bets so long you buy an established one. Why try and build from the ground up? I don't think you understand business ownership as much as you think you do.

I wasn't thinking about franchises, but yes franchises are a solid and stable investment if you put them in the right market and location, IF AND ONLY IF you have the funds to buy one in the first place.

The problem I see with restaurants if you have so many different kinds of expenses to account for. You have unit costs, overhead costs, labor costs, maintenance and repair costs, and taxes to get through.

Even at a fast food joint, let's say

Labor: $233,600/annually (I did 4 staffers on hand * 365 days * 16 working hours * $10 hourly)
Overhead: $300,000/annually (includes everything from utilities to franchise fees, fixed costs etc)
Maintenance and repair: $50,000/annually
Unit costs: 40-60% of sales

So the break even point is really high, tbh...