PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Kawhi?

ElNono
02-08-2017, 12:07 AM
Any news on his sudden injury, tbh? I'm going to the game tomorrow, would be nice to know if he miraculously recovered yet or not...

Robz4000
02-08-2017, 12:43 AM
He's dead Jim.

GSH
02-08-2017, 12:57 AM
Any news on his sudden injury, tbh? I'm going to the game tomorrow, would be nice to know if he miraculously recovered yet or not...

All I know is that some Spurs representative talked to the press and said that Kawhi's injury had been a "lingering issue". If you've never had a deep thigh contusion, they can be a bitch. I saw Kawhi catch a knee to the thigh, and come up hobbling.

The muscle actually gets crushed against the bone underneath. What some people (dumbshits) don't understand is that you have a sheath around the muscle - sort of a wrapper. Sometimes the fluid and blood continue to build up inside the muscle sheath, with no place to go. The worst of the pain and immobility may not happen for several days after the injury, if the fluid pressure builds up.

I had one that was so bad I got a fever, and my leg just wouldn't do what I was telling it to do. They were talking about going in and cutting the muscle sheath to relieve some of the pressure. That may be dark ages stuff now. I'm sure the Spurs have the best treatments available, but when you fuck up one of the biggest muscles in your body, it can be pretty serious.

I don't know a damn thing about how bad Kawhi's is. But it could easily be bad enough to miss another game or two.

spurs10
02-08-2017, 01:42 AM
I just googled his name and he came up 'questionable' for tomorrow. Which is a bummer for ElNono and the rest of us- though I get to see him play a lot.

dabom
02-08-2017, 01:50 AM
There's your first problem OP. Don't choose an away game if you wanna see Pop not resting anyone. :lol

ElNono
02-08-2017, 01:57 AM
I just googled his name and he came up 'questionable' for tomorrow. Which is a bummer for ElNono and the rest of us- though I get to see him play a lot.

thanks

tmtcsc
02-08-2017, 02:01 AM
He's dead Jim.

Hoe Lee Shit that's good. :lol:toast

tmtcsc
02-08-2017, 02:02 AM
All I know is that some Spurs representative talked to the press and said that Kawhi's injury had been a "lingering issue". If you've never had a deep thigh contusion, they can be a bitch. I saw Kawhi catch a knee to the thigh, and come up hobbling.

The muscle actually gets crushed against the bone underneath. What some people (dumbshits) don't understand is that you have a sheath around the muscle - sort of a wrapper. Sometimes the fluid and blood continue to build up inside the muscle sheath, with no place to go. The worst of the pain and immobility may not happen for several days after the injury, if the fluid pressure builds up.

I had one that was so bad I got a fever, and my leg just wouldn't do what I was telling it to do. They were talking about going in and cutting the muscle sheath to relieve some of the pressure. That may be dark ages stuff now. I'm sure the Spurs have the best treatments available, but when you fuck up one of the biggest muscles in your body, it can be pretty serious.

I don't know a damn thing about how bad Kawhi's is. But it could easily be bad enough to miss another game or two.

Muscle sheath? Are you referring to fascia?

GSH
02-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Muscle sheath? Are you referring to fascia?

There is a lot of fasciae besides what I'm talking about. But, yes, it's fascia. It's essentially a wrapper around the muscle. When muscle tissue ruptures without any tearing of the sheath, you don't see bruising - no blood leaks out. Between the blood and the fluid from inflammation, it can swell up and become more serious for days after the injury. When the sheath gets even small tearing, you get obvious discoloration (bruising). Seems like that would be a worse injury, but it often isn't.

My point is that it sometimes takes several days to realize that the injury is getting worse. If it's one of those intramuscular injuries, it wouldn't surprise me if he's out a week or two. It's REALLY important to let some things heal completely, or you can start doing permanent damage.

Sorry for so many words, but since there's been so much talk about Pop intentionally tanking games, etc.? I just thought some real-world might make sense to anyone interested in real-world. My leg hurt like hell at first, but a couple of days later it was almost like it was dead. I got two steroid injections for the inflammation (the only time I ever got two, and it hurt like hell), and some heavy-duty NSAID's. And a brace that kept me from flexing it very much, to help it heal. Like I said, I wound up with a nasty fever and chills. They said it was from the injury, but I never got a good explanation of how/why.

A deep thigh contusion is like an ass injury. Huge, thick muscles. And when you damage them, it's nothing to sneeze at.

NameLess Scrub
02-08-2017, 11:25 AM
There is a lot of fasciae besides what I'm talking about. But, yes, it's fascia. It's essentially a wrapper around the muscle. When muscle tissue ruptures without any tearing of the sheath, you don't see bruising - no blood leaks out. Between the blood and the fluid from inflammation, it can swell up and become more serious for days after the injury. When the sheath gets even small tearing, you get obvious discoloration (bruising). Seems like that would be a worse injury, but it often isn't.

My point is that it sometimes takes several days to realize that the injury is getting worse. If it's one of those intramuscular injuries, it wouldn't surprise me if he's out a week or two. It's REALLY important to let some things heal completely, or you can start doing permanent damage.

Sorry for so many words, but since there's been so much talk about Pop intentionally tanking games, etc.? I just thought some real-world might make sense to anyone interested in real-world. My leg hurt like hell at first, but a couple of days later it was almost like it was dead. I got two steroid injections for the inflammation (the only time I ever got two, and it hurt like hell), and some heavy-duty NSAID's. And a brace that kept me from flexing it very much, to help it heal. Like I said, I wound up with a nasty fever and chills. They said it was from the injury, but I never got a good explanation of how/why.

A deep thigh contusion is like an ass injury. Huge, thick muscles. And when you damage them, it's nothing to sneeze at.

Thanks. Very interesting and helpful information.

Also, I don't want to ever see an a$$ injury.

tmtcsc
02-08-2017, 11:37 AM

I recently had similar pain in my left leg (it still feels a bit numb and weak) that I believe originated as a combination hamstring & back injury. The pain was excruciating but there was no evidence of bruising under the skin. I'm certain it was my ITB (IT Band of muscles). The pain traveled from my hip, along the outside of my thigh and wrapped around the knee. It took pain-killers, anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxers to get me back to normal. I was all twisted up. Early on, I tried to treat my leg and back pain with a heating pad and did way more damage than good. I think the heating pad damaged some capillaries in my leg which made the inflammation and pain that much worse. I couldn't walk right and sitting in a car was painful.

sasaint
02-08-2017, 11:59 AM

:tu and thanks for the great explanation. I only have one more question: Can you prescribe meds, too?

spursistan
02-08-2017, 12:02 PM

UNT Eagles 2016
02-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Thanks. Very interesting and helpful information.

Also, I don't want to ever see an a$$ injury.

Fortunately, Duncan is gone, and John Amaechi and Jason Collins are both retired, so I think the Spurs are safe tbh.

apalisoc_9
02-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Told you it memphis was just another statement game from pop. Probably wants to win coach of the year

PopTheGOAT
02-08-2017, 02:22 PM
It was never a big issue. Hurt it against OKC, finished the game, played the next one, then sat vs. Memphis. Just Pop Popping

Spur|n|Austin
02-08-2017, 02:48 PM

Chinook
02-08-2017, 02:54 PM

In my four-plus years in Philly, I never had Pat's. I only had Gino's and Jim's. Jim's was pretty legit, but the best cheesesteak I've had probably came from Texadelphia before that chain went to shit.

Spur|n|Austin
02-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Try the Philly at Delaware Sub Shop if you're ever near one of the locations in Austin. Best Philly in town, imo.

Also the Philly at Little Deli in Crestview is pretty great.

GSH
02-08-2017, 03:27 PM
:tu and thanks for the great explanation. I only have one more question: Can you prescribe meds, too?

LOL. I have some experience with sports injuries. And I don't just let doctors do whatever they want to me, unless I know what's going on. My teammates would always get me to research stuff. Trainers and docs loved me. :lol

I recently had similar pain in my left leg (it still feels a bit numb and weak) that I believe originated as a combination hamstring & back injury. The pain was excruciating but there was no evidence of bruising under the skin. I'm certain it was my ITB (IT Band of muscles). The pain traveled from my hip, along the outside of my thigh and wrapped around the knee. It took pain-killers, anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxers to get me back to normal. I was all twisted up. Early on, I tried to treat my leg and back pain with a heating pad and did way more damage than good. I think the heating pad damaged some capillaries in my leg which made the inflammation and pain that much worse. I couldn't walk right and sitting in a car was painful.

I don't know about all of that. I knew exactly what happened to me, and it felt like I had a half a softball inside my thigh. We had an Aussie trainer who called it a "corked thigh".

Chinook
02-08-2017, 03:39 PM
Try the Philly at Delaware Sub Shop if you're ever near one of the locations in Austin. Best Philly in town, imo.

I might go this weekend or something. Been craving a good cheesesteak for years.

MultiTroll
02-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Next time, with advance notice if I buy a jersey can you get Kwa to sign it?
100 bucks to you.

Maybe a lot better to get a willing San Antoner with access more often.

ElNono
02-09-2017, 12:26 AM
Next time, with advance notice if I buy a jersey can you get Kwa to sign it?
100 bucks to you.

Maybe a lot better to get a willing San Antoner with access more often.

Kawhi is a lot like Tim, tbh, he goes to shootaround very early, and is one of the first ones to leave the floor. Since we had floor tix, they let us into the stands to watch the shootaround a little over 1 hour and a half before tip-off and he was out there shooting already. They don't normally let you into your seats until 1 hour before the game in Philly, and he was gone to the locker room by then.

Ice009
02-09-2017, 12:28 AM
It was never a big issue. Hurt it against OKC, finished the game, played the next one, then sat vs. Memphis. Just Pop Popping

If it happened in the OKC game, he should have sat him the next one and played him against Memphis.

Ice009
02-09-2017, 12:32 AM
LOL. I have some experience with sports injuries. And I don't just let doctors do whatever they want to me, unless I know what's going on. My teammates would always get me to research stuff. Trainers and docs loved me. :lol

I don't know about all of that. I knew exactly what happened to me, and it felt like I had a half a softball inside my thigh. We had an Aussie trainer who called it a "corked thigh".

I forgot about that term. In Australia they either say cork, corked or corky. I've heard AFL players use that term quite often instead of thigh contusion.

spurs10
02-09-2017, 12:59 AM
Kawhi is a lot like Tim, tbh, he goes to shootaround very early, and is one of the first ones to leave the floor. Since we had floor tix, they let us into the stands to watch the shootaround a little over 1 hour and a half before tip-off and he was out there shooting already. They don't normally let you into your seats until 1 hour before the game in Philly, and he was gone to the locker room by then. Happy for you ( and all f us) that Kawhi played tonight! Hope you had a blast! :tu

ElNono
02-09-2017, 01:07 AM
Happy for you ( and all f us) that Kawhi played tonight! Hope you had a blast! :tu

It's always a privilege to watch my Spurs.