PDA

View Full Version : BART janitor grossed 270K in pay and benefits.

Fabbs
02-11-2017, 12:48 PM
682K over three years.

I'm glad the money went to someone doing actual work instead of some beaurocratic do noting.
But yeah, the system is jacked up.

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article9776884.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/MAIN-BART-janitor-Liang-Zhao-Zhang.jpg
Liang Zhao Zhang

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/01/bart-janitor-grossed-270k-in-pay-and-benefits-last-year/

Fabbs
02-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Liang Zhao Zhang’s job is to clean up BART stations in downtown San Francisco and clean up he does: He swept in $162,000 in overtime pay last year, records show.
Call Zhang the super janitor, an extraordinarily high earner in a field where the beloved school custodian rarely brings home more than*$50,000 a year.*

BART janitor’s whopping 2,485 hours of OT worth $162,000
BART janitor’s $162K in overtime has social media buzzing
Zhang grossed $235,000 in 2015, four times*more than*his base*pay as a janitor.*Benefits brought his total cost of employment at the rail agency to more than*$270,000. And records show this isn’t the first time he raked in six-figure compensation at BART. Zhang received a combined $682,000 in pay and benefits over the last three years.

“Where do I sign up?” joked Lionel Hsu, a BART rider on Tuesday.
But Hsu, who commutes by BART from his home in Contra Costa County to Oakland, said he doesn’t fault workers who*take advantage of OT shifts*to make*more money. “It’s BART’s fault too,” he said. “It’s poor management, it’s poor financial planning.”
The eye-popping figures are featured in a new report from the Las Vegas based nonprofit*Transparent California, which released records Tuesday showing the pay of special district workers across the state.

“It would be great if all janitors were paid $200,000,” said Transparent California Research Director Robert Fellner. “But I seriously doubt BART riders — who must pay for this excess — are ever afforded that opportunity.”
The group’s report*comes a week before voters in Alameda and Contra Costa counties and San Francisco vote on a ballot measure that if passed would allow BART to borrow $3.5 billion by selling bonds to begin a long-awaited system overhaul.
BART salary data that this news organization obtained shows Zhang was one of 35 workers at the agency whose overtime pay exceeded their base salaries in 2016.

But don’t blame Zhang, said BART spokeswoman Alicia Trost.
He*works “almost every day of the year cleaning our stations,”*she said.
“He is signing up for time that is also available to others — if he doesn’t take them, someone else will. Station cleanliness is a priority for us.”
An opponent of the ballot measure, Sen. Steve Glazer, D-Orinda, said Zhang’s overtime was outrageous but not a surprise. Overtime at BART remains rampant, he said. “There are so many examples like this.”
Acknowledging that BART needs the makeover, Glazer said he’s urging voters to reject the bond question. “We can’t reward bad behavior.”
BART board President Tom Radulovich and Vice President Gail Murray did not return phone calls Tuesday.
Glazer said he didn’t blame Zhang for working as much as he could. “It goes so far beyond this guy.”
Compensation data collected by this news organization shows that many other janitors at public agencies across the region are paid far less than Zhang.
Of 474 janitors who worked at the Oakland, San Jose and Antioch school districts in 2015, only two exceeded $100,000 in salary and benefits combined, the news organization found. The most overtime paid to a*custodian was $22,000.
However, a maintenance worker at the Port of Oakland also topped $200,000 in pay and benefits last year, Transparent California’s data showed.
Trost did not respond to requests to make Zhang available for an interview. He could not be reached.
A spokeswoman for the Service Employees International Union, Cecille Isidro described his work as “backbreaking.” It “involves cleaning up after the hundreds of thousands of riders that rely on BART to get to and from work every day.”
But another BART rider said it was just too much.
“I am stunned,” said Debra Flinker, of Walnut Creek, as she waited for a train to arrive in Oakland on Tuesday, after hearing about the overtime pay. “Actually, I’m appalled.”

Katy Murphy Katy Murphy is based in Sacramento and covers state government for The Mercury News and East Bay Times, a beat she took on in January. Before that, she was the news organization's higher education reporter, writing about UC, CSU, community colleges and private colleges. Long ago, she covered Oakland schools and other K-12 education issues.
Follow Katy Murphy @katymurphy

Thomas Peele Investigative reporter Thomas Peele has worked at newspapers, including Newsday, for 33 years in California and East Coast states. He focuses on government, public officials, public records and data, often speaking about transparency laws publicly.
Follow Thomas Peele Thomaspeele

Fabbs
02-11-2017, 01:00 PM
TV station claims:

a sample of CCTV footage shows Zhang disappearing into a closet for hours at a time during his shifts.
Zhang is not the only janitor earning megabucks.
There were at least 49 janitors who took home more than 99K in 2015.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/worlds-best-paid-janitor-transport-9776904

Will Hunting
02-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Fabbs: The man who ensures all janitors are held accountable.

monosylab1k
02-11-2017, 01:54 PM

He's just pissed he's only making $20k a year for cleaning up piss at the local elementary school, forced to use kitty litter to defrost his '88 Dodge Stratus.

Will Hunting
02-11-2017, 01:58 PM
He's just pissed he's only making $20k a year for cleaning up piss at the local elementary school, forced to use kitty litter to defrost his '88 Dodge Stratus.

:lmao good point, his sensitivity around janitor pay explains a lot

apalisoc_9
02-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Nice...Good for the guy.

I wonder how long he has to work every week though.

Fabbs
02-11-2017, 04:03 PM
No.
But continue jerking off.

OP by Fabbs

I'm glad the money went to someone doing actual work instead of some beaurocratic do noting.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Meddling chinaman tbh.

Wild Cobra
02-12-2017, 06:03 AM
It's sad that the over burdened union retirement systems cause a person to work so many hours instead of hiring more people.

Their government pension system is all fucked up, and in the end, cheaper for them to pay exuberant overtime than hiring more employees.

My employer does the same thing. It's cheaper to regularly work two crafts 10-12 hrs a day and 6-7 days a week than paying for the extra medical and pension funding for added people. People only making $50k annual are regularly raking in six figures.

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2017, 07:27 AM
doesn't cuckmerica have union groups?

a lot of blue collar jobs man, they destroy it on OT hrs...

apalisoc_9
02-12-2017, 07:41 PM
How many hours does this man even worki get depressed thinking about it :lol

Specially Janitorial.

50 is the max I would work a week.

Aztecfan03
02-13-2017, 04:37 AM
How many hours does this man even worki get depressed thinking about it :lol

Specially Janitorial.

50 is the max I would work a week.

sounds like 85-90, BUT if it is true that he disappears into closets for hours on end, then he is a thief.

I. Hustle
02-13-2017, 10:56 AM
They terk er jerbs!

DJR210
02-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Laundry Krew account #231 checking in..

Wild Cobra
02-13-2017, 10:22 PM
sounds like 85-90, BUT if it is true that he disappears into closets for hours on end, then he is a thief.

No.

Have you seen how such union jobs operate? He has a daily set of tasks. If he does them all in four hours, he has four hours to F-off.

InRareForm
02-13-2017, 10:25 PM
he can afford a one bedroom apartment in san fran

Xevious
02-13-2017, 11:01 PM
Whether or not this dude is sleeping or fucking off on company time is one thing... but why would anybody be pissed at this guy for working a shit load of OT? Good for him. If it's in the budget and nobody else is picking up those hours, what's the problem? Now if BART is having financial troubles, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Xevious
02-13-2017, 11:03 PM
he can afford a one bedroom apartment in san fran

He most likely sends all this money overseas to family.

clambake
02-14-2017, 02:36 PM
682K over three years.

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article9776884.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/MAIN-BART-janitor-Liang-Zhao-Zhang.jpg
Liang Zhao Zhang

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/01/bart-janitor-grossed-270k-in-pay-and-benefits-last-year/

this guy is awesome!

was in the hangover
has a sitcom
now cleaning up in san fran.

I. Hustle
02-14-2017, 03:30 PM
this guy is awesome!

was in the hangover
has a sitcom
now cleaning up in san fran.

What are you talking about? That's Sammo Hunghttp://www.hkfilm.net/pics17/sammo.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2017, 12:44 AM
u notice when they have an agenda with the differences in pay between white collar vs blue collar jobs,

for one industry job they will say this person earns this or that with all these entitlements, then they compared them to another industry worker base pay but wont list their entitlements if they work OT..... the shit the media tries to push but not telling the whole story

then u look at these blue collar job guys earning way more then what they should be paid for, u notice most of them are just making ends meet for some reason? u don't see them being flashy with their paychecks or anything to show for it...they usually waste it on crap like holidays and new car, boat etc...