PDA

View Full Version : Study: A quarter of Texas public schools no longer teach sex ed

FuzzyLumpkins
02-15-2017, 03:13 PM
A quarter of Texas public school districts offered no sex education at all during the 2015-2016 school year, according to a new study released Tuesday by the Texas Freedom Network. Nearly 60 percent of districts used abstinence-only education programs over the same period.

“Our state has become the poster child for abstinence-only-until-marriage sex education,” said Kathy Miller, president of Texas Freedom Network at a Capitol press conference. “[At the Legislature], it sometimes seems that sex education is a four-letter word to only be muttered in adult company."

While 58.3 percent of school districts in Texas taught abstinence-only programs, that's down from 94 percent in 2008, according to the study. Meanwhile, the number of school districts that adopted an approach known in education circles as "abstinence-plus," which still encourages abstinence but also discusses accurate information on other pregnancy prevention methods and sexually transmitted diseases, rose from 3.6 percent to 16.6 percent of all districts.

Texas ranked fifth highest in the nation in teen birth rates in 2015, with 41 births per 1,000 women aged 15 to 19, according to data from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention. The rate has steadily declined since 2011, when the state saw 63 births per 1,000 15- to 19-year-old women.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/02/14/texas-public-schools-largely-teach-abstinence-only-sex-education-repor/

It seems conservative has come to mean "ignore contrary evidence" in Texas.

Spurminator
02-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Further evidence that conservative opposition to abortion is less about care for the unborn and more about sexual prudeness.

clambake
02-15-2017, 03:22 PM
what they really want is a white population boom.

Thread
02-15-2017, 03:38 PM
what they really want is a white population boom.

I'm all for that.

baseline bum
02-15-2017, 04:53 PM
I'm all for that.

Trump might help you with that since birth rates rise as poverty does.

clambake
02-15-2017, 05:44 PM
I'm all for that.

well i know you are, dale.

its right there on your sleeve.