PDA

View Full Version : All Right... Who Here Made The KawhiBots?

GSH
02-16-2017, 05:25 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18679858/zaza-pachulia-justin-bieber-macedonian-twitter-bots-insanity-nba-all-star-voting

LOL... like Kawhi making the AS team is somehow more "alarming" than Pachulia? What should be alarming is that someone like Kawhi might not get enough votes without bots. The whole damn All Star process has just become a joke. And the NBA doesn't give a shit.

TO THE CASUAL observer, the Pachulia vote was the most alarming. But to John Kelly, the startling outlier was the Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard. Kelly is the CEO and founder of the New York-based social media intelligence firm Graphika, which monitors, categorizes and maps social media traffic for public and private clients. Graphika sifted through more than 5 million tweets on behalf of ESPN and found all sorts of interesting things about NBA All-Star voting, including 10 hyperactive bot accounts voting for Leonard about 1,000 times per day, a figure that Kelly called “outrageously high.”

And of all the ways you could vote, Twitter, in particular, seemed to be hot for Leonard. For players such as Pachulia, Kevin Durant and Draymond Green, a typical account that voted for them on Twitter did so about three times. For Leonard, the number was, per Graphika, 6.46, the highest in the league. More starkly, about 39 percent of the tweets attempting to cast for Leonard came from accounts created since Dec 1, 2016. And those votes were coming from new accounts with names like Kawhibot. 2 hours ago – via ESPN

Joseph Kony
02-16-2017, 05:51 PM
this is why voting on social media is retarded, better when you could just vote on nba.com

dabom
02-16-2017, 06:04 PM
I was gonna post this during my lunch break. :lol

dabom
02-16-2017, 06:05 PM
this is why voting on social media is retarded, better when you could just vote on nba.com

They want the fan to stay engaged. They understand what they are doing.

GSH
02-16-2017, 06:11 PM
They want the fan to stay engaged. They understand what they are doing.

LOL. Well they kept the bots engaged. :lol

No, I agree. They know what they're doing. I shouldn't have said they don't give a shit. They just don't give a shit that people like me think it's a joke.

Play Boban
02-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Kawhi is a fake All-Star! SAD!

John Petrucci
02-16-2017, 07:02 PM

Fake votes! Spurs didn't even deserve ONE All Star!

:lol The ESPN talking heads love this because it shits on the Spurs and Kawhi. Nichols of course is just entranced with the story.

DAF86
02-16-2017, 07:05 PM

Not really, the article says that the "bot-votes" didn't end up counting. So all of Kawhi's votes are legit.

apalisoc_9
02-16-2017, 07:38 PM
:tu

Bots

We know Kawhi a top 3 player in the world would have ended up at 10 or something if it was up to all the fat and greasy fingers of San Antonio.

#movethespurs

rasuo214
02-16-2017, 07:40 PM
Why wouldn't the Bots support fellow Bot Kawhi Leonard?

TheGreatYacht
02-16-2017, 08:57 PM

BillMc
02-16-2017, 09:10 PM
The start of Skynet, tbh.

TXstbobcat
02-16-2017, 09:14 PM
The start of Skynet, tbh.

Does this mean we have to start living off the grid like John Connor?????

ElNono
02-16-2017, 09:15 PM
int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
TwitterClient client;
RandonWordsDictionary words;

if (client.login("KawhiBot")) {
while( true ) {
// std::string message = words.get(rand() % 33) + " Manu Ginobili #NBAVote";
std::string message = words.get(rand() % 33) + " Kawhi Leonard #NBAVote";
client.post(message);
}
}

return 0;
}

GSH
02-16-2017, 09:30 PM
TwitterClient client;

while( true ) {
client.post(message);
}
}

return 0;
}

LOL.

What I couldn't understand is why they could only do 1,000 votes per day each.

ElNono
02-16-2017, 09:32 PM
LOL.

What I couldn't understand is why they could only do 1,000 votes per day each.

that was a joke, BTW... I would think either they didn't want to trigger a Twitter spam engine, or they suspected the NBA might be able to detect overwhelming amounts of votes (which apparently they did anyways).

GSH
02-16-2017, 09:37 PM
:tu

Bots

We know Kawhi a top 3 player in the world would have ended up at 10 or something if it was up to all the fat and greasy fingers of San Antonio.

The idea that Kawhi wouldn't be one of the top 3 vote-getters (because it's not based on performance) just tells you that it's a dog and pony show. I'm surprised they don't just base it on how much endorsement money they get.

GSH
02-16-2017, 09:39 PM
that was a joke, BTW... I would think either they didn't want to trigger a Twitter spam engine, or they suspected the NBA might be able to detect overwhelming amounts of votes (which apparently they did anyways).

I don't always get jokes on here, but yeah.

If they were trying to fly under the radar, I would think they would stop somewhere short of 1,000 a day, and maybe go a little wider than 10 bots. If you're going to go that far with it, might as well just open the throttle.

dabom
02-16-2017, 09:41 PM
from reddit

"This is actually amazing. Us Macedonians have always hated the fucking Georgians. We were always jealous of their ability to mobilize and team up to get their shit done. I guess when the botter saw Georgia rally behind the GSW fellow, they made the bot. Love FYROM!"

The bots were from Macedinia. In reference to zaza :lol

Mikeanaro
02-16-2017, 09:44 PM
Yes but the whole fact of Pachulia getting more votes than Kiws is an abomination, league made the bots.

GSH
02-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Yes but the whole fact of Pachulia getting more votes than Kiws is an abomination, league made the bots.

Heh. I don't care how it happened. The fact of Pachulia getting more votes than Kawhi is an abomination. And any basketball fan, from any part of the world ought to agree with that much.

D-rob fan
02-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Did only one person (DAF86) in this thread read the article?. It said the Kawhi bot votes didn't work.

cd021
02-16-2017, 10:37 PM
Does this mean we have to start living off the grid like John Connor?????

if you have to start living off the grid, then that means you're already behind. :lol

100%duncan
02-17-2017, 12:25 AM
Yeah it was funny cos I was tweetimg everyday to vote and everytweet had the same 10-15 accounts retweeting it :lmao

Fireball
02-17-2017, 02:06 AM
Kawhi is Neo ... Kawhi is the matrix ...

Spurtacular
02-17-2017, 02:23 AM

Who the fuck wants to vote when the entire fan vote is next to nothing now that they decided that coaches, players, media should ultimately decide.

DMC
02-17-2017, 09:25 AM
The NBA just wants people to watch. They shot their wad long ago with Yao Ming getting a starting role without suiting up all season. Then later with Kobe doing basically the same thing.

GSH
02-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Did only one person (DAF86) in this thread read the article?. It said the Kawhi bot votes didn't work.

Yeah, we read it. We also read the final fan vote totals that showed Kawhi got just over a million votes, while Zaza Fucking Pachulia got over 1.5 million. He's averaging 6 PPG and 6 RbPG, and he got 50% more votes than Kawhi.

If that's how "fans" vote, it makes just as much sense to let the damn bot votes count.

Splits
02-17-2017, 01:47 PM

Splits
02-17-2017, 01:49 PM
TwitterClient client;

while( true ) {
client.post(message);