PDA

View Full Version : Casual mainstream vanilla fans starting to say "Tim Duncan was a system player"

apalisoc_9
02-17-2017, 02:56 AM
Really disheartning that this schtick and Narrative has gotten so overboad and out of hand...

You would think Greg Popvich would actually do something about this, but he's too buys praising himself and talking about Trump for some minority points.

At no point in any of the Duncan years was popvich even close to Duncan level of importance as far as competing goes.

z0sa
02-17-2017, 04:11 AM
Casual mainstream vanilla New Age these are all ways I would describe you

Mister Sinister
02-17-2017, 04:35 AM
Meh.

Down Under
02-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Top 5 all time tbh. If advanced metrics were prevalent from the start of his career, he would have won 5 DPOY awards

cd021
02-17-2017, 06:38 AM
Really disheartning that this schtick and Narrative has gotten so overboad and out of hand...

You would think Greg Popvich would actually do something about this, but he's too buys praising himself and talking about Trump for some minority points.

At no point in any of the Duncan years was popvich even close to Duncan level of importance as far as competing goes.

-What's Pop going to say? Is he going to call a press conference to bash the media for no reason?
- Pop has repeatedly talked about Duncan's greatness and his legacy. He talks up all his stars.
- He got asked about Trump and said his opinion, which wasn't wrong. You're essentially acting like the "stick to sports" guy with that comment.
-I work with Laker/Kobe fans, who have repeatedly said the same thing, it's annoying but I get back by calling Kobe "Pippen" to Shaq and watching them lose it.
-People think that Leonard is a system player, those people repeat talking points without actually watching and forming their own opinion's, they're morons.

Thomas82
02-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Top 5 all time tbh. If advanced metrics were prevalent from the start of his career, he would have won 5 DPOY awards

+1

TheGreatYacht
02-17-2017, 08:03 AM
I hate that shit as well, but......
Pop actually always credits everything to Tim :lol there's nothing else he can do

vanilla mainstream fans going to vanilla mainstream fan

MI21
02-17-2017, 08:08 AM

:lol Marcus Camby
:lol Ben Wallace x 4
:lol Joakim Noah

daledondale
02-17-2017, 08:11 AM
They're in the same level of who say that pop is a bad coach. Bunch of faggots.

LittleCriminal
02-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Fake News

widowmaker
02-17-2017, 09:42 AM
The russians what to know. Who?Where?When?How?Why?

02-17-2017, 11:29 AM
SAD!

wildbill2u
02-17-2017, 11:30 AM
I suppose he could be called a system player--if you consider that the system was built around him and he made the system work for 16 seasons. 18 if you allow for the abbreviated 50 game season. Now it's true we are going to extend our record this year without Duncan, but we'd have to go another 15 years to prove he was just an ordinary part of the machine that is the Spurs system. As some other players and coaches see it ( http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/fran_blinebury/04/03/san-antonio-spurs-record-16-consecutive-50-win-seasons-in-nba/)

Their elite level streak of 50-plus win seasons has far outrun history's other great NBA dynasties -- Bill Russell's Celtics (1959-68 (http://stats.nba.com/team/#!/1610612738/seasons/)), the Lakers of Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1980-90), Larry Bird's Celtics (1980-88 (http://stats.nba.com/team/#!/1610612738/seasons/)) and Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls (1990-93, '96-98 (http://stats.nba.com/team/#!/1610612741/seasons/)). Even if Jordan had not walked away to take a swing at baseball, Chicago's longest string would have been nine seasons.
"I just don't know that we're ever going to see something like this happening again," Harper said.
"I used to say the 33-game winning streak of the Lakers (http://www.nba.com/history/features/moment-1972-lakers-streak/index.html) was the most unbreakable record in the game," Van Gundy said. "But hey, the Heat got to 27 (http://www.nba.com/2013/news/03/14/miami-heats-win-streak-during-2012-13-season/). Now I'm convinced this one by the Spurs will never be touched."

coachmac87
02-17-2017, 11:38 AM

This.

BatManu20
02-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Pop has stated on numerous occasions that without Timmy he wouldn't have won a thing tbh.

SpursforSix
02-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Pop has stated on numerous occasions that without Timmy he wouldn't have won a thing tbh.

Tim Duncan was the system. It allowed Pop to tinker and be an ass and still win rings. Pop's still tinkering but he no longer has Duncan back there to make up for the dumb coaching.

I give him and the FO all the credit in the world for identifying great players and for creating a winning environment that doesn't tolerate bullshit.

But without Duncan, no one's talking about Pop. And without Jordan, we're probably not talking about Phil either. 90% of the time, rings go to a team with a transcendent player.

Benoit
02-17-2017, 12:47 PM
you have to be a huge homer to think Duncan wasnt helped by the system

Replace him with KG or Webber or any good big and Spurs still have 5

SpursforSix
02-17-2017, 02:13 PM

The system came in to place partially because of the player Duncan was. If KD or Webber was that player, I don't think that system works as well. And maybe not at all. You think KD or Webber would put up with Pop?

wildbill2u
02-17-2017, 07:00 PM

Dangerous words on this site, my friend, because apart from all the Duncan fans, you're implying that the Spurs system as invented and employed by Pop is the main reason for 5 championships. This gives Pop all the credit over Duncan.

Hoops Czar
02-17-2017, 07:12 PM

Probably the same casual mainstream new age fans that think 90% of the players from the 80's and 90's couldn't play in today's no touch league where the average nba player is more coddled and babied than in any other era of professional basketball.

TampaDude
02-17-2017, 08:01 PM
Yes, Tim was a system player...he WAS the system!

Down Under
02-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Also, not enough credit for RC Buford, who would do the majority of the scouting. Drafting key role players late in the 1st round like Tiago, George Hill and even ones who went onto be good ones with opportunities on other teams like CoJo & Mahinmi, trading for Kawhi, which now looks even better with Bertans. Signing D League guys like Danny & even limited players like Belinelli & Neal for virtually nothing but were still able to contribute. On top of this trading Rasho to Bonner as he could see the way the league was heading with spacing and signing crafty guys like Oberto who was mobile enough to guard both 4's & 5's & of course, Patty. Lucky to have such a good GM as well as the best leader and most unselfish star.

02-17-2017, 08:24 PM
He is the system, player

K...
02-17-2017, 09:23 PM
You are right, he was a stat padder

skulls138
02-17-2017, 10:41 PM

Replace him with KG or Webber or any good big and Spurs still have 5Meh, in twenty years your anti Spurs propaganda will die and all will stand is the 5 championships. Also, you lost in The Finals :lmao

skulls138
02-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Being a part of a winning franchise like the Spurs will give you chances that others dont have? How many smart coaches were ruined by bad players and vise versa? Players do exactly what Pops wants because they believe in him before they put on their practice jerseys. Could some young coach tell an all-star what to do? No but Pop could because of his track record. Alot of that track record was because of what TD did.

Also to copy what Down Under said, alot of credit has to go to RC for getting these great players.

Play Boban
02-17-2017, 11:06 PM

You know Poop loves it. He has launched a concerted effort to discredit Tim's legacy in order to stroke his own ego. It's pathetic.

Arcadian
02-18-2017, 02:40 AM

:lol What a shitty take. Totally oblivious to the points already made in this thread that invalidate yours.

Meanwhile, you have an overrated cocksucker as your avatar.

dbreiden83080
02-20-2017, 12:56 PM
This isn't college football. There's no such thing as winning championships because you simply have a great system.

Frank Dux
02-20-2017, 01:04 PM
That assessment isn't entirely wrong when considering that for the first four championships, the "system" was to dump the ball to Tim and go from there.

Spurtacular
02-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Safe space poster wanting attention.

Strategic
02-20-2017, 02:17 PM
I think most coaches bring a offensive system to the table or develop one around the talent given. Popovich is no different in this regard. Where a player is concerned the word "system" is now used to downgrade his talents. A slap in the face. As a long time fan of the game and Tim Duncan, I would only say that he is the most disciplined player in modern history of the NBA. Discipline and talent are the reasons for his success. Without Tim's discipline Pop's system wouldn't have worked, nor would there be banners hanging from the rafters. We've all seen systems without discipline and talent.

skulls138
02-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Well said. I remember an interview where TD said he never gets too high or too low when playing. I think thats a big secret to his success and takes mental discipline.

BD24
02-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Oh I see the faggots angle here. I haven't heard anyone say this, but keep on thinking that.

UZER
02-20-2017, 07:42 PM

Trolls be trolling.

MJ without Phil - 0 rings

Kobe without Phil - 0 rings

At least Pop developed his own system. He didn't steal it from Tex Winter like Phil.

YGWHI
02-20-2017, 10:26 PM
I work with Laker/Kobe fans, who have repeatedly said the same thing, it's annoying but I get back by calling Kobe "Pippen" to Shaq and watching them lose it.
We shouldn't care about them but damn...they're annoying af.

Also, some guys on national media helped to build this shit "Tim Duncan never reached Kobe level..Shaq was more explosive..." What's about the best overall player, the most complete player of his generation?

those people repeat talking points without actually watching and forming their own opinion's, they're morons.
Stupid narratives...People shouldn't let others think for them.

SASdynasty!
02-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Duncan's success and Kawhi's success can be attributed to the one common man in their rosters: William Anthony Parker

offset formation
02-21-2017, 12:01 AM

Link, moron??

02-21-2017, 02:04 PM
You know Poop loves it. He has launched a concerted effort to discredit Tim's legacy in order to stroke his own ego. It's pathetic.
Truthbomb right here tbh