PDA

View Full Version : CBS Detroit: With Stunning Story, Richard Hamilton Opens Up About Finals Loss To Spur

NASpurs
02-24-2017, 04:10 PM
*edit* I guess I hit the character limit in the subject line and the "s" in "Spurs" got cut off :lol

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/02/24/with-stunning-story-richard-hamilton-opens-up-about-finals-loss-to-spurs/ (http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/02/24/with-stunning-story-richard-hamilton-opens-up-about-finals-loss-to-spurs/)

Richard Hamilton enjoyed triumph after triumph with the Pistons, but one loss was so haunting he couldn’t speak about it for nearly 12 years.

He broke his silence on Friday, facing those demons from 2005 when the Pistons fell to the Spurs in the NBA Finals.

“And I’m going to tell you what’s crazy about it. It wasn’t the Game 7 that we lost in San Antonio, but Game 5 in Detroit,” Hamilton told the Jamie and Stoney Show on 97.1 The Ticket.

“This is the first time I’ve ever even talked about it, to be 100 percent honest with you, because it was one of those situations where we knew we had ‘em. We just knew we had ‘em.”

Looking for their second consecutive championship, the Pistons were blown out in the first two games in San Antonio. They came home for three games at the Palace knowing they had to seize the opportunity.

“We’re thinking in the back of our heads, ‘Same thing as last year against the Lakers, we’ve gotta get these three games,'” Hamilton recalled.

The Pistons took care of business in the first two contests, throttling the Spurs in back to back games to knot the series at two.

“And then the third game,” Hamilton said, “Robert Horry hit that shot.”

That shot. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjPgAQQst7U) It likely saved the Spurs’ lives. A former Spur told Hamilton so himself.

“Years later, I got a chance to play with Nazr Mohammed in Chicago,” Hamilton explained. “Nazr was on that (Spurs) team, and Naz was like, ‘Hey Rip, you don’t understand how mentally broken we were after you guys beat us the first two games in Detroit. We were lost. We thought the series was over.’”

Hamilton could hardly believe his ears.

“I’m thinking to myself, ‘Man, when you’re competing against Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker and the crew that they had, it was like, alright, you beat ‘em two games, but these guys are going to come back and they’re going to come back harder.’ Not at one point did you think in the back of your mind that these guys were thinking they might lose this series,” Hamilton said.

But Mohammed laid it all out there. The Spurs – mentally, anyway – were finished. Horry’s shot and that Game 5 victory brought them back from the dead.
They would win the series on their home floor four days later.

“So, for me personally, I feel like we let one slip anyway,” Hamilton said. “But it is what it is, that’s the game of basketball for you.”

stnick2261
02-24-2017, 04:12 PM
I believe Game 5 was the game Horry had the monster dunk near the end that he made into a poster for himself.

Das Texan
02-24-2017, 04:23 PM
I believe Game 5 was the game Horry had the monster dunk near the end that he made into a poster for himself.

It was.

Its also largely why Pop gave Horry so much latitude to essentially do whatever he wanted during the remainder of his time with the Spurs.

spurs10
02-24-2017, 04:24 PM
Likely the most riveting game I've ever seen. It blew my mind.

HarlemHeat37
02-24-2017, 04:26 PM
One of the best games I've ever watched, tbh..it was a superhuman effort from Horry, I still don't know how he made some of those shots..

It's a forgotten series in NBA history, though, due to the era it was played in..a lot of people don't realize how close Duncan was to not having 5 and how much he struggled in that series(similar to Kobe in the 2010 Finals)..

Horry and Manu really saved the Spurs..

SpurPadre
02-24-2017, 04:44 PM
One of the best games I've ever watched, tbh..it was a superhuman effort from Horry, I still don't know how he made some of those shots..

It's a forgotten series in NBA history, though, due to the era it was played in..a lot of people don't realize how close Duncan was to not having 5 and how much he struggled in that series(similar to Kobe in the 2010 Finals)..

Which is why I continue to insist Manu should've been Finals MVP over TD there.

Mikeanaro
02-24-2017, 04:47 PM
Thats correct, it was during game 5, anyway you cant expect to win 3 games in a row in the Finals.

SpurPadre
02-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Thats correct, it was during game 5, anyway you cant expect to win 3 games in a row in the Finals.Unless you're not facing a store-bought Lebron team in the Leastern Conference, tbh.

boutons_deux
02-24-2017, 05:05 PM
TD had a terrible game. missed an uncontested put-in to send game to OT

TDomination
02-24-2017, 05:06 PM
Man, i remember feeling like crap after game 4. It almost felt like we completely lost our way and to have to play at Detroit again felt even worse. When Duncan missed the tip in to end regulation, i thought for sure we were going to lose. I believe we got down right away in the first minute of overtime, and then thats when the Horry heroics began.

But that was definitely a great game and so happy to see the spurs come out on top

jsandiego
02-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Manu was on another level, but Duncan battling the Wallace Brothers on two bad ankles was downright heroic. I was at Game 7. Duncan willed us back when we were down in the 3rd Quarter.

Raven
02-24-2017, 05:11 PM
it was the greatest moment in the history of basketball

lefty20
02-24-2017, 05:16 PM
still get goosebumps thinking about dat game 5.... Rasheed u da real MVP!

Arcadian
02-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Hey Rip, you don’t understand how mentally broken we were after you guys beat us the first two games in Detroit. We were lost. We thought the series was over.
Bullshit. Maybe you thought that, but I guarantee you Tim Duncan didn't think that way. Nor did Rob, nor did Manu, nor did Tony, nor did Pop.

They just responded and won the damn championship.

Now, the '13 Heat? THEY knew they were finished. That would be a better example of that.

Joseph Kony
02-24-2017, 05:29 PM

Horry and Manu really saved the Spurs..he was up against the best defensive frontcourt tandem he'd ever face and one of the best in league history, after the ankle injury before the postseason and during the Sonics series, some struggling was expected tbh

ceperez
02-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Man, i remember feeling like crap after game 4. It almost felt like we completely lost our way and to have to play at Detroit again felt even worse. When Duncan missed the tip in to end regulation, i thought for sure we were going to lose. I believe we got down right away in the first minute of overtime, and then thats when the Horry heroics began.

But that was definitely a great game and so happy to see the spurs come out on top

I agree. Like the Pistons went on another gear on defense that Spurs started to wilt. Fortunately, Horry took into to some crazy level and refused to lose!

NASpurs
02-24-2017, 05:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iFFS6LnHwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Dw732lpq4

NASpurs
02-24-2017, 05:36 PM
There's a three video limit to a single post, who knew :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjHgqU96BOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2v3fji29VE

HarlemHeat37
02-24-2017, 05:39 PM
he was up against the best defensive frontcourt tandem he'd ever face and one of the best in league history, after the ankle injury before the postseason and during the Sonics series, some struggling was expected tbh

Yep, agree with all of that, but just saying..

gambit1990
02-24-2017, 06:01 PM
i was outta town that game. so happy i still caught it on tv. it was crazy was horry did for us.

never liked rip. respect though.

gambit1990
02-24-2017, 06:03 PM
manu's metrics vs the pistons are so much better than kobe's when he played them the year before.

gambit1990
02-24-2017, 06:06 PM
big rasheed fan, i wanted him to be a spur.

did as good a job as anyone when it came to defending duncan imo.

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB3MvD6uLR8
:lol

Mr. Body
02-24-2017, 06:16 PM
The next year, the Pistons were bent so far on revenge that when the Spurs went splat against the Mavs they kind of fell apart and didn't make the Ginals because they lost focus. The Heat snuck in and got ref gifts to Dwyane Wade to give the Heat their first championship.

TheDoctor
02-24-2017, 06:18 PM
What a Playoff performance.

Good memories :lobt2:

baseline bum
02-24-2017, 06:19 PM
That was such a crazy series. I couldn't believe when they ran all over the Spurs to begin Game 1. Like 4-5 minutes into the game the Pistons were up 17-4. I'll never forget Glenn Robinson coming in having three huge blocks and turning that game completely around. After Pop called that timeout to put Robinson in the Spurs finished the game 80-52. From that low to the Spurs dominating the first two games and making a sweep look possible. Then Detroit dominating the next 2. Then Game 5 is the most tense game I have ever watched. Then Detroit coming back pissed and taking Game 6. Then Detroit having that 9 point lead in the third quarter of Game 7 until Duncan started getting the Wallaces and Dice in foul trouble in the third (lol Tayshaun Prince trying to guard Duncan in the post). That Finals and the Dallas series the next year were the two that took the most time off my life. :lol

Darius Bieber
02-24-2017, 06:20 PM
Big Shot Rob the GOAT tbh. Had the biggest balls of anyone during crunch time. He wanted the shot.

gambit1990
02-24-2017, 06:23 PM
when the spurs were getting blown out again in game 4 pop went to go sit down next to tim on the bench and just chatted with him. td did look lost.

objective
02-24-2017, 06:25 PM
If Manu didn't get that deep thigh bruise in game 3 it's a sweep. He wasn't the same after that it and took that week until game 7 to get close to normal

coachmac87
02-24-2017, 06:32 PM
I'm confused on how the Spurs were "done" after Game 4? Lol

They obviously showed up and didn't fold during a very close and intense game. Nazr bum ass spoke for himself lmao

boutons_deux
02-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Bullshit. Maybe you thought that, but I guarantee you Tim Duncan didn't think that way. Nor did Rob, nor did Manu, nor did Tony, nor did Pop.

They just responded and won the damn championship.

Now, the '13 Heat? THEY knew they were finished. That would be a better example of that.

games3,4 I remember Tim sitting on the bench next to Pop, wide eyed blank stare deer in headlights, pop with hand on tim's knee, probably trying to console.

ViceCity86
02-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Horry was huge that series. Some of the shots he hit in game 5 were crazy. He also came up huge in game 7. Spurs started flat and Horry came up with some big buckets late in 1st quater.

Ginobili's 3 was the dagger at the 2:58 mark with shot clock winding down in the last quater. But I thought Horry's corner 3 at beginning of the 4th to push the lead to a whooping 5 points was the biggest shot. Right there I felt Spurs turn the tide and the momentum wasn't shifting back.

ViceCity86
02-24-2017, 06:58 PM
games3,4 I remember Tim sitting on the bench next to Pop, wide eyed blank stare deer in headlights, pop with hand on tim's knee, probably trying to console.

2001 WCF stare. :lol

ViceCity86
02-24-2017, 07:03 PM
Rip Hamilton was envious of Ginobili. He took numerous cheap shots at him throughout the series. It was that jealous Black man , I can't believe that non Black player is so good. He gave Manu a vicious elbow to the rib in one of the first two games and Manu simply ignored it like it was nothing. Such a champ.

SpursforSix
02-24-2017, 07:23 PM
That dunk by Horry got me out of my chair. I couldn't believe that he got all the way to the rim.
Manu used to do the same but more frequently. Looked like he was going in for a layup and somehow
throws it down. Maybe selective memory but it seemed like it was mostly in clutch situations.

ViceCity86
02-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Pistons up 9 points midway through the 3rd. At that point, how many of you thought the Spurs were gonna win?

I wasn't feeling it. Duncan was cracking under the pressure. He was stinking it up to high heaven at that point in the game, and if it wasn't for Horry's heroics in game 5, Timmy would be wearing huge goat horns.

I also started believing in the Pistons toughest and "If ain't rough it ain't us" motto. They look so confident in pregame warmups and throughout the game.

But Duncan came alive and the rest is history. Pistons never recovered since.

UZER
02-24-2017, 07:32 PM

he was up against the best defensive frontcourt tandem he'd ever face and one of the best in league history, after the ankle injury before the postseason and during the Sonics series, some struggling was expected tbh

Also a team that has just dismantled Kobe and Shaq the year before.

Spurs9
02-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Pretty crazy that we still have Parker and Ginobili on the team and that series was 11 years ago.

CGD
02-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Narz trolling Rip

Solid D
02-24-2017, 07:53 PM
That was one great Father's Day!

Arcadian
02-24-2017, 08:08 PM

When you blow out a team in games 1-2 and have HCA, you don't feel defeated after games 3-4, no matter how badly they went. Even if the Spurs had lost game 5, they would've played better in game 6 and won the series.

Hamilton is just being a bitter bitch.

SPURt
02-24-2017, 08:18 PM
I was nervous going into the 5th game. Horry is one of the weirdest players ever, that dude could turn it on but really picked his moments.

bklynspursfan
02-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Big Shot Rob the GOAT tbh. Had the biggest balls of anyone during crunch time. He wanted the shot.

Bet you were like Nazr thinking we were done after game 4 lol

spursfan09
02-24-2017, 08:22 PM
I really doubt the Spurs thought they were done after game 4. If so they wouldn't have even competed in game five. That game five was close on the road against a team that blew them out 2 games in a row. That's more mental toughness I think

apalisoc_9
02-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Man, that series cemented my Spurs fandom. I started following the spurs because I instantly fell in love with Manu's playstyle in 2002 but I really only cared about Manu. I watched more basketball in 2005 than a 15year old should but it was all worth it.

I remeber thinking it was all over and the spurs we're fucked in the 4th quarter of the game. Duncan was really dissapointing in game 5 too..

GSH
02-24-2017, 08:25 PM
That dunk was the one where Horry ripped up his left shoulder, too. He was never the same, IMO.

tdominate21
02-24-2017, 08:26 PM
<3 Bowen. That dude ... best perimeter defender ever.

GSH
02-24-2017, 08:33 PM
I was nervous going into the 5th game. Horry is one of the weirdest players ever, that dude could turn it on but really picked his moments.

Horry had a sense of the moment like no other player, ever. He'd knock a 3 and then steal the inbounds pass, or draw a charge, and swing the momentum of a game all on his own. He could just break the other team's spirit.

Speaking of which - Nazr may have felt beaten after Game 4, but I'm not believing that Tim, Manu, and Horry were ready to give up. Just not buying it. Hamilton can keep telling himself whatever makes him feel better.

RD2191
02-24-2017, 08:44 PM
When you blow out a team in games 1-2 and have HCA, you don't feel defeated after games 3-4, no matter how badly they went. Even if the Spurs had lost game 5, they would've played better in game 6 and won the series.

Hamilton is just being a bitter bitch.

I have to agree with this.

Ice009
02-24-2017, 09:03 PM

Tim was playing on two sprained ankles, though. It wasn't like he was fully healthy going up against one of the best defensive frontlines in NBA history at the time. I thought he did decent considering those circumstances. Was Kobe injured in 2010 at all? I don't believe him a lot of the time as he used to play up minor injuries.

I had no idea the Spurs were that shaken, though. I was a little bit as a fan (after game 4), but I was confident going into game 5 we'd put on a much better performance. I'm thinking this is coming for Nazr. Maybe he was shaken. I doubt some of the legends on the team were as shaken as he was. I'm assuming that he's mostly speaking for himself, but I wasn't there, so I won't discredit him completely.

SPURt
02-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Horry had a sense of the moment like no other player, ever. He'd knock a 3 and then steal the inbounds pass, or draw a charge, and swing the momentum of a game all on his own. He could just break the other team's spirit.

Speaking of which - Nazr may have felt beaten after Game 4, but I'm not believing that Tim, Manu, and Horry were ready to give up. Just not buying it. Hamilton can keep telling himself whatever makes him feel better.
Totally agree, there's no way Pop is walking out of game 4 thinking "well this over"

Ice009
02-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Totally agree, there's no way Pop is walking out of game 4 thinking "well this over"

They may have felt down after game 4, but with two games at home after having beaten Detroit in San Antonio convincingly, I seriously doubt they gave up after game 4 and felt that it was over at that point. Maybe Nazr did, but I doubt the top 4 or 5 players on the team did.

SpursforSix
02-24-2017, 09:12 PM

I put Manu in that category. As I said above, he used to always come up with a timely dunk that got everyone in their feet.
Or a steal or great pass or drive. But I guess that was maybe a function of always playing hard and never quitting. Maybe the anti Horry. Rob just always seemed so unfazed. Manu would go on tilt with effort.

But both came up big in crucial moments.

TheDoctor
02-24-2017, 09:19 PM

I agree with all of this.

thiste
02-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Oh hell yeah I remember that game, that dunk and those shots lol

That's why Big Shot Bob will always be in our hearts.

Btw I didn't remember MVParker saving our asses again with that defense on the last play :)

GSH
02-24-2017, 09:34 PM
I put Manu in that category. As I said above, he used to always come up with a timely dunk that got everyone in their feet.
Or a steal or great pass or drive. But I guess that was maybe a function of always playing hard and never quitting. Maybe the anti Horry. Rob just always seemed so unfazed. Manu would go on tilt with effort.

But both came up big in crucial moments.

I actually typed that Manu was a close second, and deleted it because I decided I didn't feel like getting into any of the usual shit tonight. I agree with everything about Manu, I just saw Horry as something different and unique. Manu might go crazy and be everywhere on the court for a stretch. But Horry was like an assassin who knew just where and when to stick in the dagger. I know that's pretty dramatic, but he did it way too many times for it to be coincidence.

The real shame about that infamous "hip check" against Nash was that he alllllmost managed to pick up a charge. He had gotten knocked to the floor, got up, and sprinted to get in front of Nash. That wasn't a dirty play - it was a split second short of being sheer court genius. Had he gotten that charge, I'm convinced the Spurs would still have won that game.

bulakenyo
02-24-2017, 09:39 PM
My goodness, thank you for this thread.

Awesome memories flooding back, from the playoff run.

Manu was amazing. Getting cheapshots all playoffs long, but still not retaliating like most players would. Only answering back with clutch plays and insane hustle.

Yes he should have gotten Finals MVP IMHO.

Hated his hair, though. lol.

hater
02-24-2017, 09:47 PM
That was a real man series not like the pussy shows of nowadays.

Bith teams were mentally and testicularly massive. Plus the head coaches had anacondas in their trousers.

Nowadays we have dick jefferson, lebron and kerr and eliancito and donkey looking like a bunch of fags.

Real bad ass classic series IMO. I completely terrorized my neighbors on that game 1 win and then on the game 5 win I almost set the whole block on fire.

Shit was wild

hater
02-24-2017, 09:49 PM
That game 1 win was almost as big as game 5 imo. If I remember correctly Pistons came in and were beating us up and then we wome up and came the fuck back like Rocky 1

SpursforSix
02-24-2017, 09:53 PM
I actually typed that Manu was a close second, and deleted it because I decided I didn't feel like getting into any of the usual shit tonight. I agree with everything about Manu, I just saw Horry as something different and unique. Manu might go crazy and be everywhere on the court for a stretch. But Horry was like an assassin who knew just where and when to stick in the dagger. I know that's pretty dramatic, but he did it way too many times for it to be coincidence.

The real shame about that infamous "hip check" against Nash was that he alllllmost managed to pick up a charge. He had gotten knocked to the floor, got up, and sprinted to get in front of Nash. That wasn't a dirty play - it was a split second short of being sheer court genius. Had he gotten that charge, I'm convinced the Spurs would still have won that game.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

I think Horry just had that "fuck it" mentality. He just didn't give a shit what the situation was. He was going to play his game.

Yeah...the whole hip check thing was bullshit. It was just normal bball. Just unfortunate that Nash looked like damn Gerry Cooney when it was done.

TheDoctor
02-24-2017, 09:54 PM
...Hated his hair, though. lol.

#InstaBan

bulakenyo
02-24-2017, 09:57 PM
haha

Loved the clean cut look, the first time Team Argentina blew my mind in the 2002 Worlds.

TheDoctor
02-24-2017, 09:58 PM
I don't disagree with anything you said.

I think Horry just had that "fuck it" mentality. He just didn't give a shit what the situation was. He was going to play his game.

Yeah...the whole hip check thing was bullshit. It was just normal bball. Just unfortunate that Nash looked like damn Gerry Cooney when it was done.

What? The hip check thing was awesome dirty or not. That play have it's own identity. Playoff ball at his best. Not that soft flock shit played today tbh.

boutons_deux
02-24-2017, 10:06 PM
Horry had 17 in 4th + OT, IIRC

spurs10
02-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Big Shot #%^€in' Bob!!

SpursforSix
02-24-2017, 10:16 PM
What? The hip check thing was awesome dirty or not. That play have it's own identity. Playoff ball at his best. Not that soft flock shit played today tbh.

Yeah...that was my point. Just basketball.

urunobili
02-25-2017, 12:35 AM
Nazr bum ass spoke for himself lmao

tmtcsc
02-25-2017, 01:16 AM
The Spurs looked "shook" and were definitely questioning themselves after getting owned in those first two losses. However, I seriously doubt they believed they weren't as good as the Pistons. Naz may have doubted himself but dude wasn't even there for the whole year. That's why Horry and Manu have multiple rings and Naz never sniffed another championship.

100%duncan
02-25-2017, 01:25 AM
I was in school that time, but couldnt believe the shit Horry was pulling when I watched the replay.

bulakenyo
02-25-2017, 01:41 AM
That stretch dunk was awesome.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-25-2017, 01:55 AM
Nazr and Beno were both shook that series... most shook since nick anderson

LongtimeSpursFan
02-25-2017, 02:50 AM
Damn. Poor Sheed. Didn't realize he had been on the wrong end of two of the biggest shots in Spurs history.

DAF86
02-25-2017, 03:06 AM
I don't know if it was because I was too young back then or what, but I never felt like the Spurs could lose that series. Even being down 10 in the 2nd half of game 7 I expected them to win. Probably because of Manu, fresh of winning the Gold in 2004 and playing the best basketball of his life. I felt he was like Jordan out there, there was no way he couldn't go out a winner.

tbdog
02-25-2017, 06:16 AM
Remember Glen Robinson won a title and the few minutes he played, he actually defended

Chillen
02-25-2017, 09:12 AM
That series was a nailbiter, I remember being in full nervous breakdown mode after game 6. That game 5 on father's day Horry's heroics were just incredible, that was an awesome and fun game to watch. That 2005 Piston's team was a great basketball team, Spurs had to play on another level just to pull that series out. Great series.

TheGreatYacht
02-25-2017, 09:22 AM
What a terrible team :lol

Duncan, Horry, Bowen, Ginobili, Parker and that's it. Everyone else shat the bed, especially Udrih.

HarlemHeat37
02-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Those games are so ugly to watch, if you look back at them now, tbh:lol

Game 5 is still one of my favorites, though..Spurs have had so many well-documented heartbreaks, but sometimes we forget about all the clutch shots..the Warriors' game 1 was one of my favorites, as well..

H1k3eGjWQ-o
zOrIAJKpQKI

Capt Bringdown
02-25-2017, 01:21 PM
It's amazing how close we were to pissing away ANOTHER championship.

Capt Bringdown
02-25-2017, 01:26 PM
The Spurs looked "shook" and were definitely questioning themselves after getting owned in those first two losses. However, I seriously doubt they believed they weren't as good as the Pistons. Naz may have doubted himself but dude wasn't even there for the whole year. That's why Horry and Manu have multiple rings and Naz never sniffed another championship.

Spurs pissed away at least 2 championships (The Foul & The Human turnover machine), so it's not outside the realm of possibility that they would have choked in 05 if not for Horry's heroics.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Robert Horry's shot in Game 5 is the #1 shot in Spurs history. That game may be my all time favorite Spurs game. I thought we were dead in the water after Game 4, and the Spurs were no strangers to blowing 2-0 leads (they did the year to the Lakers).

Amazing game, will always love Horry for that no matter what.

Of course losing Game 6 sucked, and we looked bad being down 9 at home in Game 7.

Thank god Brown benched Sheed for way too long and Spurs started firing from outside in the fourth to have a comeback. Reminded me of that big comeback we had in Game 6 in 2003 vs. the Nets.

2005 Spurs were amazing, they could go fast with the Suns or slow it down with Detroit.

Budkin
02-25-2017, 03:55 PM
I've said this many times here but I've never been as nervous watching a Spurs game as I was for Game 7 that year. It was more of a relief when we won than anything.

daslicer
02-25-2017, 04:46 PM
After winning the title in '04 the Pistons became a super arrogant team. From '05-'08 they always made excuses about how they should have won it all during those seasons. What Rip says is nothing insightful. Teams go through ups and downs emotionally during a tough 7 game series and 1 or 2 plays can determine the winner of the series.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Which is why I continue to insist Manu should've been Finals MVP over TD there.

This. Not giving Manu the MVP was crazy - he owned those games and Detroit had no answer for him other than hitting him

Spurtacular
02-25-2017, 06:27 PM

TD didn't struggle that much in the series; he just sucked at FTs in the first place at that time in his career. Though, TD definitely tried to choke away Game 5.

TheGreatYacht
02-25-2017, 06:27 PM
The right man won the FMVP. Could've gone to Horry too....

GSH
02-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Well at least Rip Hamilton gave some credit to Horry's shot. This little cupcake blamed his los on Lady Gaga:

Wide receiver Mohamed Sanu told the NFL Network’s Good Morning Football on Friday that Lady Gaga’s 40-minute halftime performance “definitely did” impact the team’s play in the second half.

“Usually, halftime is only like 15 minutes, and when you’re not on the field for like an hour, it’s just like going to work out, like a great workout, and you go sit on the couch for an hour and then try to start working out again,” Sanu said on the NFL Network, via by CBS Sports.

Since the game was tied at the end of regulation, even a tiny difference would have changed the outcome. This guy is going to be telling his grandkids about how he had a Superbowl won, but got screwed by a long halftime show. :lol

baseline bum
02-25-2017, 06:44 PM
Thank god Brown benched Sheed for way too long and Spurs started firing from outside in the fourth to have a comeback. Reminded me of that big comeback we had in Game 6 in 2003 vs. the Nets.

2005 Spurs were amazing, they could go fast with the Suns or slow it down with Detroit.

Duncan got Rasheed's fourth foul midway through the third if I remember right. There was no way Brown was going to left Rasheed pick up his fifth in the third quarter and then not be able to play any defense the rest of the game.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Duncan got Rasheed's fourth foul midway through the third if I remember right. There was no way Brown was going to left Rasheed pick up his fifth in the third quarter and then not be able to play any defense the rest of the game.

Ah maybe that's what it was. Wasn't Sheed getting called for some awfully soft fouls as well? Oh well, that was the most nervous I have ever been heading into a Spurs game in my life!

tmtcsc
02-25-2017, 11:25 PM
Spurs pissed away at least 2 championships (The Foul & The Human turnover machine), so it's not outside the realm of possibility that they would have choked in 05 if not for Horry's heroics.

If not for That Human turnover machine, the Spurs never would have come back from 20 down to the Mavs, nor would they have beaten the Pistons. Some folks have very selective memories. Manu tookketh but Manu gaveth much more.

lefty
02-26-2017, 01:08 AM
They were mentally broken because David Robinson gave them a pep talk after game 4

Ice009
02-26-2017, 03:54 AM
After winning the title in '04 the Pistons became a super arrogant team. From '05-'08 they always made excuses about how they should have won it all during those seasons. What Rip says is nothing insightful. Teams go through ups and downs emotionally during a tough 7 game series and 1 or 2 plays can determine the winner of the series.

Yeah, they fucked up. They should have made it back to the finals in 2006 and 2007, but they choked against Miami and Cleveland. They had better records than both those teams. It's their own fault. The Spurs took them down in 2005 and they never seemed to recover. I think they also left Boston tied 1-1 after the first two games and were the first team to win a game in Boston up to that point in the entire playoffs (Boston was very shaky on the road and hadn't won a playoff road game up until they won game 3 in Detroit going 4-3, 4-3 in their previous two series), but they pissed that away aswell, so that is possibly 5 straight years they could have made it back to the finals (they should have made it back 4 times in a row as they were favoured in the 2006 and 2007 East series they lost - the 5th time against Boston they were not the favourites). They had their chances and completely blew them all after the Spurs defeat in 2005.

buttsR4rebounding
02-26-2017, 08:31 AM
I gave my son an autographed picture of that shot. It's hanging in his den.