PDA

View Full Version : Gasol's Injury Was A Blessing In Disguise

TD 21
02-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Pop doesn't usually operate this way when a starter has had an extended absence, the team didn't exactly reach a new level while Gasol was out and Dedmon hasn't raised his level of play (his play has just been extrapolated over more minutes) . . . based on this, I now think they wanted to do this all along, but didn't know if Gasol's ego could handle it, so they figured they'd placate him to start and see how it goes. The injury gave them an excuse to do it and even though it's a small sample size, both the team collectively and him individually, look better off for it.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Too-many-bigs-a-pleasant-problem-for-Spurs-10959806.php?t=01bcf26018c6ed8151&cmpid=twitter-premium

“At the end of the day, we have to find the best way to be the best team,” Gasol said. “If that has to be the way we’re trying right now, it’s OK.”

“I think I’m at a point I can handle it well if that’s for the best of the team,” Gasol said. “What’s important is that you’re out there when the critical minutes are played and you’re making an impact.”

I actually don't think this is just lip service. He seemed frustrated and unsure a lot of times with the starters. With the bench, he get's to play his customary featured role, play with higher IQ players and not have his lead footed defense be as exposed.

apalisoc_9
02-26-2017, 10:41 PM
Plus, he also gets to play with Ginobili and the crew that move the ball better. He seemed like an awkward fit with Aldridge offensively.

He seems more comfortable offensivley as a bench guy. I'm exccited to see what kind of damage this bench can do against GSW.

SAGirl
02-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Glad to hear his ego can take it. That interview showed a great attitude and with games like he's having and that attitude I am happy he's back in the team.
:flag:

apalisoc_9
02-26-2017, 10:44 PM
Glad to hear his ego can take it. That interview showed a great attitude and with games like he's having and that attitude I am happy he's back in the team.
:flag:

The fact that he's playing fantastic even as a bench player shows that he at least understands its for the benefit of the team. Im sure he wants to start but it is what it is.

Arcadian
02-26-2017, 10:47 PM
:lol People who thought Gasol would "never accept a bench role"...

SAGirl
02-26-2017, 10:48 PM
The fact that he's playing fantastic even as a bench player shows that he at least understands its for the benefit of the team. Im sure he wants to start but it is what it is.
Good points. Agreed. It somewhat gives me hope he could renegotiate his deal to reup Dedmon. Gasol is in the downswing of his career while Dedmon is young and worth retaining. Without Manu next season the kind of offensive attention and game Pau has can help a bench stay afloat and thrive. I am really excited about this development. :tu

Chinook
02-26-2017, 10:55 PM
He pretty much pulled a Kidd from a few years ago, though, when he said that he cared about closing, not starting. Pau probably wasn't going to be a consistent closer regardless just because of how many different potential options there were in addition to him being so shaky on D.

Darius Bieber
02-26-2017, 10:58 PM
The problem now is... We are overspending on our bench. Pau will definitely opt in for all that cash, meaning our starter Dedmon will walk.

SAGirl
02-26-2017, 11:00 PM
He pretty much pulled a Kidd from a few years ago, though, when he said that he cared about closing, not starting. Pau probably wasn't going to be a consistent closer regardless just because of how many different potential options there were in addition to him being so shaky on D.
Plus... there's so much small ball to close, so much needing to defend the 3 that Pop has closed games with lineup with just one big, with Manu, with Simmons and Kyle even taking the spot of the other big. There are the regular closers but a guy or two that get in depending on situation.

Pau didn't say closing, but critical moments in the game. That's a fine attitude. If a dude is competitive and experienced I would expect him to care about that.

SAGirl
02-26-2017, 11:03 PM
The problem now is... We are overspending on our bench. Pau will definitely opt in for all that cash, meaning our starter Dedmon will walk.
Don't burst my bubble Darius, so early.:toast
I still hope they can work things out to keep Dedmon.

TD 21
02-26-2017, 11:03 PM

They might be able to talk Gasol into pulling a Jefferson, in order to make it more palatable to re-sign Dedmon.

As far as the distribution of the money of the starters versus the bench, think of it more as two units. They're not exactly equal, of course, but Dedmon and Gasol will basically split time (like Green and Ginobili did, before the latter suffered further decline) and for the latter, that's not much different than when he started. He came into today averaging 26.4 mpg this season.

sananspursfan21
02-27-2017, 01:17 AM

Hey the speculation was real man...

spurraider21
02-27-2017, 02:38 AM
this is great news if true. dedmon is a great fit with the starters and pau should dominate bench bigs

Hoops Czar
02-27-2017, 02:52 AM

What makes you think he accepted anything? It's been two damn games. Spurstalk :lol

Arcadian
02-27-2017, 04:31 AM
What makes you think he accepted anything?

“I think I’m at a point I can handle it well if that’s for the best of the team,” Gasol said. “What’s important is that you’re out there when the critical minutes are played and you’re making an impact.”

Hoops Czar
02-27-2017, 06:03 AM
^ What was he suppose to Say? Did you expect him to bitch and moan about It? I'm glad fans eat up every word an athlete says as if it were gospel. :lol

LaMarcus Bryant
02-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Knowitalls getting munged on ITT

look_at_g_shred
02-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Looks good coming off the bench. I think it helps mills as well.

8FOR!3
02-27-2017, 01:33 PM
I think he can be more aggressive off the bench and not have to worry as much about Kawhi/Aldridge getting shots. As far as off the bench goes he could easily turn into the #1 option on the bench. Dedmon/Pau gives us our own Adams/Kanter type of rotation.

sasaint
02-27-2017, 01:39 PM
One of the few issues on ST ever about which opinions are almost unanimous - Deadman should start and Pau should play with the second unit. It, therefore, goes without saying that Pop will return Pau to the starting line up soon.

SpursforSix
02-27-2017, 01:41 PM
One of the few issues on ST ever about which opinions are almost unanimous - Deadman should start and Pau should play with the second unit. It, therefore, goes without saying that Pop will return Pau to the starting line up soon.

:pop: I like the explosiveness of a Parker/Gasol one-two punch.

sasaint
02-27-2017, 01:45 PM

I do, too - on the second unit. :toast

SpursforSix
02-27-2017, 01:48 PM

LOL. No doubt but...

:pop: I know what's best.

TheDoctor
02-27-2017, 02:08 PM
LOL. No doubt but...

:pop: I know what's best.

:lol

SupremeGuy
02-27-2017, 04:12 PM

LOL. No doubt but...

:pop: I know what's best.:rollin

sananspursfan21
02-27-2017, 04:48 PM
You're telling me! I took it as good news! (For the team that is, always feel bad for the player)

SpursFan86
02-27-2017, 05:30 PM
I'm just worried that Pop will revert back to relying on Pau over Dedmon come playoff time...not sure I trust Pop to give Dedmon the minutes he deserves at the expense of Pau in the playoffs.

02-27-2017, 05:46 PM

spurraider21
02-27-2017, 06:02 PM
If gasol was unhappy with his bench role and therefore chose not to exercise his player option, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, given his salary.

Or he could embrace the bench role and be one of the best reserves in th league and I'd welcome him back for 1 year on an inflated salary in that role

spursistan
02-27-2017, 06:46 PM
It was indeed..Though not yet set in stone, the above quote is an encouraging intimation about the move from Pau....Unlike with the starters, playing next to that pass-happy Manu/Mills/Lee squad seems like a natural fit for Gasol: he would get to feast on opposing benches bigs and be the clear number 1 option of that Spurs unit the while being less challenged defensively..Pau regular minutes won't be affected, he would still preserve right to check in early if our offense stalls or Dedmon racks up the fouls..And let's be clear: Dedmon is still an unproven commodity despite his current stellar play, we don't know yet how he would perform in his first postseason rodeo or how he would get treated by officials there..I hope Pop uses the rest of the season to solidify the LMA/DD pairing in the rotation; there lies a middle class man Nowitzki/Chandler potential..

Seventyniner
02-27-2017, 09:30 PM
If gasol was unhappy with his bench role and therefore chose not to exercise his player option, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, given his salary.

Or he could embrace the bench role and be one of the best reserves in th league and I'd welcome him back for 1 year on an inflated salary in that role

If he opts in that's basically what we'd be getting.

spurraider21
02-27-2017, 09:35 PM
If he opts in that's basically what we'd be getting.yeah but if he's going to do it, sulk, demand to be a starter, etc... its one thing. if he plays the good soldier and helps the bench, its different

sasaint
02-27-2017, 09:47 PM
yeah but if he's going to do it, sulk, demand to be a starter, etc... its one thing. if he plays the good soldier and helps the bench, its different

Playing the good soldier would be agreeing with PATFO to opt out and re-sign for less annual salary over a longer contract

Seventyniner
02-27-2017, 09:57 PM
yeah but if he's going to do it, sulk, demand to be a starter, etc... its one thing. if he plays the good soldier and helps the bench, its different

Fair enough.

cjw
02-27-2017, 10:12 PM
Playing the good soldier would be agreeing with PATFO to opt out and re-sign for less annual salary over a longer contract

AKA pulling a Jefferson

Also, he's at a slightly inflated cost but it's not that bad considering what other bigs are making

sasaint
02-27-2017, 10:15 PM
AKA pulling a Jefferson

Also, he's at a slightly inflated cost but it's not that bad considering what other bigs are making

No, he is not on a grossly unreasonable contract. But every penny will count in the effort to retain Deadman.

SpursFan86
02-27-2017, 11:03 PM
Kawhi/Aldridge/Dedmon 3-man unit has a DRTG of 92.5 :wow They've played over 250 minutes together as well, so it's not a tiny sample size.

For reference, the Spurs are #1 in DRTG right now at 103.5.

spursistan
02-27-2017, 11:44 PM
836358916552409089836295183482380289That is staggering...Dedmon completely takes the Spurs D to another level--from the elite among a couple or three other teams to historically great.

spursistan
02-28-2017, 01:35 AM

urunobili
02-28-2017, 08:39 AM
I can only dream that Pop will ride this... regardless, the off-season moves will be key as what the Spurs will keep since Deadmon, Simmons and Mills will be up for renewal. His body language just fits smoothly wells...

NameLess Scrub
02-28-2017, 09:18 AM
It was indeed..Though not yet set in stone, the above quote is an encouraging intimation about the move from Pau....Unlike with the starters, playing next to that pass-happy Manu/Mills/Lee squad seems like a natural fit for Gasol: he would get to feast on opposing benches bigs and be the clear number 1 option of that Spurs unit the while being less challenged defensively..Pau regular minutes won't be affected, he would still preserve right to check in early if our offense stalls or Dedmon racks up the fouls..And let's be clear: Dedmon is still an unproven commodity despite his current stellar play, we don't know yet how he would perform in his first postseason rodeo or how he would get treated by officials there..I hope Pop uses the rest of the season to solidify the LMA/DD pairing in the rotation; there lies a middle class man Nowitzki/Chandler potential..

:toast

look_at_g_shred
02-28-2017, 10:43 AM
836358916552409089836295183482380289That is staggering...Dedmon completely takes the Spurs D to another level--from the elite among a couple or three other teams to historically great.
He's a hell of a rebounder too! Many times I see him just ripping the ball away from opponents, and i've also seen plenty of times where he outrebounds 3-4 other guys...just insane how good of a rebounder he is. That is something even Splitter couldn't do. Spurs haven't had that type of board help in the SL for a long time. Yeah, he is a elite rim protector too. The guy is just everything the spurs need to beat GSW and CLE imho

Chinook
02-28-2017, 10:46 AM
^ a Maverick?

lilbthebasedgod
02-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Easily our best defender. If he started all year I'd say he's a DPOY candidate. Elite defender

BillMc
02-28-2017, 07:29 PM
ESPN on Pau's situation:
http://www.espn.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/1423/pau-gasol-unfazed-with-coming-off-the-bench

Gasol hasn’t been told whether he’ll come off the bench for the remainder of the season.“I have no idea,” Gasol said. “I’ll keep my mind open. I want to be real mature about this and really wise and understand what’s best for the team is not really what’s best for me. Obviously, if you combine both, great. But it is a little bit of an adjustment so far.

"But again, I’m just happy I was able to play well out there five weeks out with my surgery and produce. I did well these last two games. I hope I can continue to contribute as much as I have the last couple.”

At the end of the day, we are one group. We’ve just got to play smart and maximize everyone’s capabilities. Now and then, you have to give up some of yourself for the betterment of your team.”

rasuo214
02-28-2017, 07:32 PM
Win-win for everyone. Only thing it might hurt is Gasol's ego (so as long as he's fine with it then it's great), but he benefits from more shots and becoming the focal point of the 2nd unit offense. As far as re-signing Dedmon, depending on his playoff performance he could end up getting a Biyombo type offer.

spursistan
03-01-2017, 12:27 PM
836975361976070144Watch Pop mess with a good thing going for us..

Nathan89
03-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Pops hand being forced. Stubborn prick would've never made this move tbh.:lol

Seventyniner
03-01-2017, 12:47 PM
836975361976070144Watch Pop mess with a good thing going for us..

Imagine that lineup with George Hill instead of Parker...

Arcadian
03-01-2017, 01:37 PM
:lol It's not even "in disguise"...it's a blatantly obvious blessing.

Did you expect him to bitch and moan about It?

I didn't, but some people did. Wouldn't be the first time an NBA player complained about his role. I knew Pau could handle it after he accepted a backup role for Dwight Howard when Pau was still in his prime.

Mnky
03-01-2017, 02:06 PM
“If you look at my probably 1,100 games [1,096] in the NBA, I think now 15 of them are coming off the bench,” Gasol said. “Most of them are coming back from injuries and stuff, a stretch with the Lakers four or five games that [Mike] D’Antoni experimented. Now here, coming back from this injury, I think we’re just trying to be the best team that we can. I think [Spurs coach Gregg Popovich] is trying to do a good job of putting the best lineups and how they work together, and also maximizing everyone’s talents. With the second unit, I have more opportunities to score, to play my game. With the first unit, it’s a little more limited, my options."

Link (http://www.espn.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/1423/pau-gasol-unfazed-with-coming-off-the-bench)

He gets its.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Pop knows the stats better than anyone and I don't expect him to switch this unless injuries muck up the rotations. Matchups and who's hot will determine who is on the floor at the end of games, but these lineups get the Spurs off to a good start with the bench just making it that much better.

Now if Murray could get a little more seasoned...

SAGirl
03-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Normally not a fan of Erler... he does tend to get too cute with his sarcastic humor is rather nonchalant with takes very often... however,
this piece by him is actually a very nicely written article/analysis of why Dedmon makes sense to start no matter how you slice it:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/2/28/14767246/spurs-keep-starting-dewayne-dedmon

Maybe you’re thinking all the pairing and lineup data is just window dressing to the real issue at heart. Leonard, by leaps and bounds, is the team’s focal point and his play will have the biggest impact on how far the Spurs go in the playoffs. So forget all the noise you’re saying, just tell me, “Who plays better with Leonard?”
Whi Not?

With Leonard
Minutes
Offensive Rating
Defensive Rating
Net Rating

Gasol/Leonard

Dedmon/Leonard

Boom.
This is not politics here, amigos. There isn't a single “yes, but” here. Dedmon has Wally Pipp’ed (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-wally-pipp-lou-gehrig-anniversary-david-whitley-0602-20150601-story,amp.html) Gasol and that’s all there is to it. He fits better next to Aldridge on both ends of the floor. Offensively it makes the pick-and-pop reads easier for both Leonard and Parker and Dedmon buys both more space on the perimeter, with opponents constantly having to be wary of lobs, the way DeAndre Jordan (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/35088/deandre-jordan) helps make the Clippers (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/los-angeles-clippers) offense so deadly. Defensively, Dedmon has the range and explosiveness to make plays no other big on the team can make.

SpursforSix
03-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Normally not a fan of Erler... he does tend to get too cute with his sarcastic humor is rather nonchalant with takes very often... however,
this piece by him is actually a very nicely written article/analysis of why Dedmon makes sense to start no matter how you slice it:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/2/28/14767246/spurs-keep-starting-dewayne-dedmon

:pop: stats, smats

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2017, 03:23 PM
:lol It's not even "in disguise"...it's a blatantly obvious blessing.

I didn't, but some people did. Wouldn't be the first time an NBA player complained about his role. I knew Pau could handle it after he accepted a backup role for Dwight Howard when Pau was still in his prime.

:lol no, he didn't..he publicly complained about coming off the bench throughout the 2013 season..it was a major storyline and part of the reason Lakers fans wanted him gone(until they began hating Howard)..

He's also been known to complain about lack of touches in both LA and Chicago..revisionist history at its finest, tbh..

"I've been on this team, in this city, for six years," Gasol said. "It's very hard to stick around on this team, and I take pride in that. I think I'm a valuable asset and I want my role to be as big as it can be, within the well being of the team. But I don't know if being a player that comes off the bench will be something that I'll be able to accept long term.

spursistan
03-01-2017, 07:04 PM

skulls138
03-01-2017, 08:06 PM
837090316343717893Groovy

NASpurs
03-01-2017, 08:07 PM

That's fucking awesome, good to see Pop not being totally senile. :tu

Seventyniner
03-01-2017, 08:09 PM

Excellent. I think who closes is more important than who starts (as was long the case with Manu) but starting Dedmon makes more sense right now.

Arcadian
03-01-2017, 08:42 PM
:lol no, he didn't..he publicly complained about coming off the bench throughout the 2013 season..it was a major storyline and part of the reason Lakers fans wanted him gone(until they began hating Howard)..

He's also been known to complain about lack of touches in both LA and Chicago..revisionist history at its finest, tbh..

That was understandable, given that he was still in his prime and had led that team to 2 chips. Howard should've been his backup, if anything.

In any case, it's good to see he's changed his mentality with the Spurs.

spursistan
03-03-2017, 05:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6BmelsWcAENvb_.jpg

Mr. Body
03-03-2017, 05:13 PM
None of this would work without Manu leading the way. Maybe also not possible if he wasn't still here. His presence plus his chemistry with Gasol are huge.

spursistan
03-03-2017, 05:17 PM
83778627422855168183778518846998528283778710071609 7542

spursistan
03-03-2017, 05:19 PM
^ Alas Pop might eventually scrap this experiment if Aldridge continues to morph into a Tristan Thompson type of player..

spursistan
03-04-2017, 04:01 PM
838114931698511873SL offense hasn't been THAT great with Dedmon (+ Danny been building houses the past month or so), but Pau has looked the better for it..

spursistan
03-04-2017, 04:59 PM
^^838096991171330048