PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard's "Kawh-iet" case for MVP

jdiggy0424
03-02-2017, 01:59 AM
Little piece I wrote about Kawhi. Let me know what you think :)

Kawhi Leonard’s “Kawh-iet” case for MVP

Kawhi Leonard is a man of few words, but his game has spoken so immensely this season that he is deserving of the 2017 NBA’s Most Valuable Player Award.

Since the departure of Tim Duncan, most San Antonio Spurs fans were hopeful that Leonard would take the reigns as the face of the franchise for years to come. However, many were doubtful that Leonard could completely fill the shoes and step out of the shadow that loomed over San Antonio consisting of Timmy’s greatness. And while he has not completely stepped out of that shadow, one could argue that he has not only exceeded the expectations but rather set new goals for the franchise.

His resume? 2-Time Defensive Player of the Year, 2-Time All-Star, 1x Finals MVP and the heir apparent to the fine line between a Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan.

After losing to the 8th seeded Grizzlies in 2011, the Spurs were looking to add more youth to the core of the Big Three and help on the interior, and that help came with the 15th pick from a kid out of San Diego State with shaky handles. He was projected to be a SF/PF hybrid, capable of defending multiple positions and nailing the easy close range shot when necessary. A 3 & D guy to replace what the Spurs lost with the aging Bowen. But projections are something Kawhi has never bothered to give attention to. Since that time Kawhi has gained a reputation around the league as a gym rat, the 1st one in and the last one out. He has established himself as one of the league’s best two way players, improved his ball-handling and pick and roll play immensely, and even established a deadly mid-range shot and turnaround jumper from the post, a move that would even make Michael Jordan nod his head in approval.
And he certainly isn’t your traditional superstar either.

The casual NBA fan will awe over Russell Westbrook’s explosiveness or James Harden’s magical ball-handling shimmying or Lebron James’ physicality in the paint or even Steph Curry’s brilliant marksmanship from beyond the arc. Highlights upon highlights of these superstars define what the NBA wants to market and appeal to a younger generation in search of excitement from the sport.

But in Kawhi Leonard’s case however, there are no fancy elements to his game. Fast-break opportunities lead to a casual two-handed slam. Post-up plays turn to a casual baby hook or turnaround fadeaway. A potential highlight play turns into an extra pass to the open man for the spot up 3-point shot.

“Guys get a lot of money to be ready to play. No Knute Rockne speeches. It’s your job. If you’re a plumber and you don’t do your job, you don’t get any work. I don’t think a plumber needs a pep talk. A doctor botches operations and he’s not a doctor anymore. If you’re a basketball player, you come ready. It’s called maturity. It’s your job.”— Gregg Popovich

For Kawhi Leonard, this has been his mantra for several years already.

Like Tim Duncan before him, Kawhi has embraced his role as the franchise player, more so than any other year prior. Expectations were set by Gregg Popovich earlier this season, that Kawhi Leonard was going to be “the man”. Coming into this season, the Spurs had question marks: How was Pau Gasol going to fit defensively? Will new additions Dwayne Dedmon, Davis Bertans, David Lee and Dejounte Murray provided the much needed help off the bench that was so desperately missed in last year’s OKC series? Will Lamarcus Aldridge take that next step as the franchise’s Best Big Man since Tim Duncan?

Questions upon questions were asked, and Kawhi Leonard continues to provide answers. As of now, the Spurs are sitting at a record 46-13, which is good for 2nd in the Western conference, and 2nd in the NBA behind the Golden State Warriors. Due to the recent news of Kevin Durant being out for the potential of the rest of the regular season, the Spurs may very well have a chance at grabbing the coveted number 1 seed. The San Antonio Spurs are ranked Top 5 in offensive efficiency and Top 2 in Defensive efficiency and are on pace for another 60-win season all while sporting only 1 All-Star.

Not impressed yet? Since the start of the new year Kawhi Leonard has been averaging 27.1pts on over 50% shooting to lead the Spurs to a 19-5 record when he plays. The Spurs have averaged over 111ppg during that stint and struggle average only 82ppg when he DNPs. When Kawhi Leonard plays and the Spurs still lose, they have lost by a COMBINED 5.2pts, roughly a couple of possessions that could have gone either way during those games. The stats show that the Spurs struggle to score that basketball when he doesn’t don a Silver and Black jersey and only lose by 5 when he does.

Perhaps Westbrook or Harden will win the MVP, and perhaps Kawhi really doesn’t get the recognition he deserves, nor does he probably even care about winning an MVP award. The only thing Kawhi Leonard seems to care about is getting the San Antonio Spurs ready for June.

“I’m just trying to be the best player I can be,” said Leonard, “I’m just trying to pass Tim Duncan in championships if I can one day. That’s my motivation, that’s what I strive for”.

Keep chugging along Kawhi. You’re more alike to Tim than you realize.

spurraider21
03-02-2017, 02:01 AM
not happening

not saying he's unworthy, just being realistic about the award. only stupid homers that thought LMA "deserved" an all star spot think kawhi will get the votes

Arcadian
03-02-2017, 02:04 AM
not happening

not saying he's unworthy, just being realistic about the award. only stupid homers that thought LMA "deserved" an all star spot think kawhi will get the votes

Let me remind you that he was runner-up last year.

jdiggy0424
03-02-2017, 02:04 AM
i feel ya. Just one of those things but hey as a longtime fan I can appreciate what he has done this year for the Spurs

spurraider21
03-02-2017, 02:05 AM
Let me remind you that he was runner-up last year.harden and westbrook weren't doing this last year. kawhi was on the radar all year along with curry/lebron. he hasn't quite been there this year in talks

Arcadian
03-02-2017, 02:08 AM
harden and westbrook weren't doing this last year. kawhi was on the radar all year along with curry/lebron. he hasn't quite been there this year in talks

I guess if you're arguing that "this is how dumb people see it" then I see your point. But there are strong arguments to be made for Kawhi over both Harden and WB. Harden is a one-way player, thus brings less value than a two-way player. WB's value has not manifested itself in team success. Also remember, the award usually goes to the best player on a top tier team.

spurraider21
03-02-2017, 02:09 AM
I guess if you're arguing that "this is how dumb people see it" then I see your point. But there are strong arguments to be made for Kawhi over both Harden and WB. Harden is a one-way player, thus brings less value than a two-way player. WB's value has not manifested itself in team success. Also remember, the award usually goes to the best player on a top tier team.

not saying he's unworthy, just being realistic about the award.

YGWHI
03-02-2017, 02:13 AM

Good read! Thanks for sharing this :tu

Phenomanul
03-02-2017, 02:20 AM
Good write-up.... easy to read, structured flow... :tu

One thing though... since you are using Kawhi's name as a homophone with "Quiet" why place the hyphen after the "w" and not after his full name... in other words: "Kawhi-et" instead of "kawh-iet"?

jdiggy0424
03-02-2017, 02:25 AM
Good write-up.... easy to read, structured flow... :tu

One thing though... since you are using Kawhi's name as a homophone with "Quiet" why place the hyphen after the "w" and not after his full name... in other words: "Kawhi-et" instead of "kawh-iet"?

Thats actually a really good point lol Ive thought of doing a write up for some time now and it all just kind of spilled over during the past hr. Probably should have done that lol wasn't thinking :lol :lol :toast

UNT Eagles 2016
03-02-2017, 07:11 AM
Exactly. Harden has a case because the Rockets are pretty damn elite... but Westbrick doesn't unless the Thunder surge in the standings late in the season.

2017 RW/2017 OKC is basically a poor man's 2006 Kobe/2006 Lakers, and Westy never scored 62 points this year much less 81. I don't believe Kobe even finished Top 3 in the MVP voting that year... as a matter of fact, when's the last time you've seen an MVP outside of the top 4 seeds in the standings in his team's respective conference? You'd have to go back an awful looooooooooong ways, tbh... that's why I don't think Westbrick is really a candidate. Inorganic triple doubles are overrated.

DesignatedT
03-02-2017, 09:17 AM
I think it will be Harden. Westbrooks season is unbelievable as well. Although, if the Spurs/Kawhi go on a tear here late and eclipse GS as the 1-seed, I wouldn't rule out Kawhi having a decent shot at it.

superbigtime
03-02-2017, 11:01 AM
I think it's gotta be Westbrook if they bring their record up to 4th best in the W.C.. Kawhi has 20 double doubles and 20 thirty point games but Westbrook has 30 triple doubles, five of those with 40 points? That is insane.

SpursFan86
03-02-2017, 11:22 AM
I think he'll finish 4th behind Harden/Westbrook/LeBron. Not necessarily what I agree with - just like spurraider21 said, I think that's what's most realistic.

In terms of my own personal opinion, I think LeBron should win it.

sasaint
03-02-2017, 11:24 AM
No such thing as a quiet MVP. The award totally depends on hype. Nice read, though, incorporating some nice research. Thanks.

Horse
03-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Exactly. Harden has a case because the Rockets are pretty damn elite... but Westbrick doesn't unless the Thunder surge in the standings late in the season.

2017 RW/2017 OKC is basically a poor man's 2006 Kobe/2006 Lakers, and Westy never scored 62 points this year much less 81. I don't believe Kobe even finished Top 3 in the MVP voting that year... as a matter of fact, when's the last time you've seen an MVP outside of the top 4 seeds in the standings in his team's respective conference? You'd have to go back an awful looooooooooong ways, tbh... that's why I don't think Westbrick is really a candidate. Inorganic triple doubles are overrated.
The thing with harden and the rockets is you could see their team and their style of play fail miserably in the playoffs.

Seventyniner
03-02-2017, 01:24 PM
Kawhi should have 1st team All-NBA on lock. What will be interesting is the guard spots. If Westbrook and Harden finish 1-2 in MVP voting, Curry might go from unanimous MVP to not even being 1st team All-NBA.

SpursFan86
03-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Kawhi should have 1st team All-NBA on lock. What will be interesting is the guard spots. If Westbrook and Harden finish 1-2 in MVP voting, Curry might go from unanimous MVP to not even being 1st team All-NBA.

KD's injury probably helps his chances. If Curry balls out for the rest of the season and GS still finishes with a ridiculous record, he'll have a decent shot at making it over Westbrook (assuming OKC is 6th-8th seed). With KD playing, there was no way people would ever give him 1st team over those 2.

BillMc
03-02-2017, 02:26 PM

Kawhi Leonard is a man of few words, but his game has spoken so immensely this season that he is deserving of the 2017 NBA’s Most Valuable Player Award.

Since the departure of Tim Duncan, most San Antonio Spurs fans were hopeful that Leonard would take the reigns as the face of the franchise for years to come. However, many were doubtful that Leonard could completely fill the shoes and step out of the shadow that loomed over San Antonio consisting of Timmy’s greatness. And while he has not completely stepped out of that shadow, one could argue that he has not only exceeded the expectations but rather set new goals for the franchise.

His resume? 2-Time Defensive Player of the Year, 2-Time All-Star, 1x Finals MVP and the heir apparent to the fine line between a Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan.

After losing to the 8th seeded Grizzlies in 2011, the Spurs were looking to add more youth to the core of the Big Three and help on the interior, and that help came with the 15th pick from a kid out of San Diego State with shaky handles. He was projected to be a SF/PF hybrid, capable of defending multiple positions and nailing the easy close range shot when necessary. A 3 & D guy to replace what the Spurs lost with the aging Bowen. But projections are something Kawhi has never bothered to give attention to. Since that time Kawhi has gained a reputation around the league as a gym rat, the 1st one in and the last one out. He has established himself as one of the league’s best two way players, improved his ball-handling and pick and roll play immensely, and even established a deadly mid-range shot and turnaround jumper from the post, a move that would even make Michael Jordan nod his head in approval.

The casual NBA fan will awe over Russell Westbrook’s explosiveness or James Harden’s magical ball-handling shimmying or Lebron James’ physicality in the paint or even Steph Curry’s brilliant marksmanship from beyond the arc. Highlights upon highlights of these superstars define what the NBA wants to market and appeal to a younger generation in search of excitement from the sport.

But in Kawhi Leonard’s case however, there are no fancy elements to his game. Fast-break opportunities lead to a casual two-handed slam. Post-up plays turn to a casual baby hook or turnaround fadeaway. A potential highlight play turns into an extra pass to the open man for the spot up 3-point shot.

“Guys get a lot of money to be ready to play. No Knute Rockne speeches. It’s your job. If you’re a plumber and you don’t do your job, you don’t get any work. I don’t think a plumber needs a pep talk. A doctor botches operations and he’s not a doctor anymore. If you’re a basketball player, you come ready. It’s called maturity. It’s your job.”— Gregg Popovich

Like Tim Duncan before him, Kawhi has embraced his role as the franchise player, more so than any other year prior. Expectations were set by Gregg Popovich earlier this season, that Kawhi Leonard was going to be “the man”. Coming into this season, the Spurs had question marks: How was Pau Gasol going to fit defensively? Will new additions Dwayne Dedmon, Davis Bertans, David Lee and Dejounte Murray provided the much needed help off the bench that was so desperately missed in last year’s OKC series? Will Lamarcus Aldridge take that next step as the franchise’s Best Big Man since Tim Duncan?

Questions upon questions were asked, and Kawhi Leonard continues to provide answers. As of now, the Spurs are sitting at a record 46-13, which is good for 2nd in the Western conference, and 2nd in the NBA behind the Golden State Warriors. Due to the recent news of Kevin Durant being out for the potential of the rest of the regular season, the Spurs may very well have a chance at grabbing the coveted number 1 seed. The San Antonio Spurs are ranked Top 5 in offensive efficiency and Top 2 in Defensive efficiency and are on pace for another 60-win season all while sporting only 1 All-Star.

Not impressed yet? Since the start of the new year Kawhi Leonard has been averaging 27.1pts on over 50% shooting to lead the Spurs to a 19-5 record when he plays. The Spurs have averaged over 111ppg during that stint and struggle average only 82ppg when he DNPs. When Kawhi Leonard plays and the Spurs still lose, they have lost by a COMBINED 5.2pts, roughly a couple of possessions that could have gone either way during those games. The stats show that the Spurs struggle to score that basketball when he doesn’t don a Silver and Black jersey and only lose by 5 when he does.

Perhaps Westbrook or Harden will win the MVP, and perhaps Kawhi really doesn’t get the recognition he deserves, nor does he probably even care about winning an MVP award. The only thing Kawhi Leonard seems to care about is getting the San Antonio Spurs ready for June.

“I’m just trying to be the best player I can be,” said Leonard, “I’m just trying to pass Tim Duncan in championships if I can one day. That’s my motivation, that’s what I strive for”.

Nice read, enjoyed it. :bobo

UNT Eagles 2016
03-02-2017, 02:43 PM
The thing with harden and the rockets is you could see their team and their style of play fail miserably in the playoffs.

2005 suns tbh.

NameLess Scrub
03-02-2017, 03:03 PM
When I see Kawh-iet I thought it was talking about a diet Kawhi follows.

Other Kawhi puns:

Kawhi?
Kawhining (he's mastering this)
Kawhighlights

jdiggy0424
03-02-2017, 03:11 PM
When I see Kawh-iet I thought it was talking about a diet Kawhi follows.

Other Kawhi puns:

Kawhi?
Kawhining (he's mastering this)
Kawhighlights

The only other pun I've heard is the "Kawhi-not!!!" Bill Lamb screams when Kawhi hits a 3 or something, which at this point it's getting annoying since it's so overused

NameLess Scrub
03-02-2017, 03:25 PM
The only other pun I've heard is the "Kawhi-not!!!" Bill Lamb screams when Kawhi hits a 3 or something, which at this point it's getting annoying since it's so overused

Is that the radio guy? I almost never listen to the games.

I do remember "Tar heel triple!!!" on TV when Danny makes a 3. Doesn't bother me though.. since it means he might have a good night, which takes me to 2014, which probably increases the dopamine in my brain a little.

Oh wait.. I also remember "Kawooooow!!", on TV too.

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Westbrook's team is only 1.5 back of 4th in the West..if they finish in the top 4, he's a lock, tbh..

He would have the numbers, team success and a relatively horrible supporting cast..

Keepin' it real
03-02-2017, 07:02 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/61/1e/4a/611e4acad895cc3e207e31e3740c2da4.jpg

Seventyniner
03-02-2017, 08:54 PM

You must not listen to much Bill Land. He overuses everything.