PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the narrative change regarding the West

$pursDynasty
03-03-2017, 11:13 AM
As late as the end of February, the narrative was the Dubs will be OK, the odds of the Spurs catching the Dubs for first place in the West is highly unlikely with them being up 4 games (actually 3 in the loss column) with 20 something games remaining. Now after the Bulls loss and the Spurs being only 2 games behind the Dubs the narrative will probably shift to, "well the Dubs didn't want the #1 seed anyway, they don't need it to be the best team and fulfill our preseason predictions." All the talking heads have been saying the Dubs vs Cavs is a foregone conclusion, and it still might happen but they are for the most part they are unwilling to acknowledge any other possibility. Except now I turn on Sportscenter and they are crowing over Rox. I guess everyone loves the new thing and the Spurs are the opposite of that and I am not even whining over media coverage. It does seem that the talking heads are either in the inevitability of the Cavs/Dubs (I am guessing articles are already written and in the can just waiting for that day to come) or the "hey let's look at the Rox or can the Celtics compete" camp. There seems to be very little desire to discuss the Spurs as contenders for the :lobt2:or :clawfor the MVP. I don't want to be the media darlings but what happens if we crush the Dubs next Saturday night? How do they report it? I am thinking it will be mostly ignored, a tree falling the in the forest with no one to hear it.

TD 21
03-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Of course, the media is loaded with blatant Warriors fan boys and apologists.

As questionable as the Spurs are (it's not like every team not named Warriors isn't, though), they've gotten less hype this season than any since '11. The NBA is like a cliché high-school movie, in that there's the "cool kids" and then there's everybody else and the Spurs have officially moved back into the latter category. It's no longer fashionable to so much as speak about them because they're no longer cutting edge, they're antiquated.

The only thing the Durant injury changes, is it makes Leonard a lock for 1st team All-NBA again and if the Spurs overtake the Warriors for the 1 seed, it would get him in the discussion (he'd still probably lose though) for MVP too.

JR3
03-03-2017, 06:15 PM
As late as the end of February, the narrative was the Dubs will be OK, the odds of the Spurs catching the Dubs for first place in the West is highly unlikely with them being up 4 games (actually 3 in the loss column) with 20 something games remaining. Now after the Bulls loss and the Spurs being only 2 games behind the Dubs the narrative will probably shift to, "well the Dubs didn't want the #1 seed anyway, they don't need it to be the best team and fulfill our preseason predictions." All the talking heads have been saying the Dubs vs Cavs is a foregone conclusion, and it still might happen but they are for the most part they are unwilling to acknowledge any other possibility. Except now I turn on Sportscenter and they are crowing over Rox. I guess everyone loves the new thing and the Spurs are the opposite of that and I am not even whining over media coverage. It does seem that the talking heads are either in the inevitability of the Cavs/Dubs (I am guessing articles are already written and in the can just waiting for that day to come) or the "hey let's look at the Rox or can the Celtics compete" camp. There seems to be very little desire to discuss the Spurs as contenders for the :lobt2:or :clawfor the MVP. I don't want to be the media darlings but what happens if we crush the Dubs next Saturday night? How do they report it? I am thinking it will be mostly ignored, a tree falling the in the forest with no one to hear it.
And that's exactly how Pop would want it.