PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi shooting too much

rudwick
03-04-2017, 01:33 PM
I think Kawhi is trying to live up to MVP expectations or his own expectations by forcing things on the offense. He is always a good option but sometimes others would be better and I think the team is suffering a little because of it. We've struggled to beat some mediocre teams and I think the reason is the ball sticking too much so that some players can get their 30 or 20 points instead of working for the best shot for the team.

DAF86
03-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Lately, everytime somebody, other than Kawhi, tries to do something on offense, they fuck up. Kawhi has been shooting that much out of necessity, tbh.

TheGreatYacht
03-04-2017, 01:39 PM
You don't want those shots going to Green or LMA/Gasol postups....

BG_Spurs_Fan
Other than some ill advised off the dribble 3s that are always short, he's been shooting very well and efficiently. Wish he'd get to the rim more often but it's not really his game.

FkLA
Pink and/or ban OP, tbh.

Leetonidas
03-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Lately, everytime somebody, other than Kawhi, tries to do something on offense, they fuck up. Kawhi has been shooting that much out of necessity, tbh.

This

Nathan89
03-04-2017, 01:46 PM
His teammates aren't good enough so he does more. Kawhi isn't thinking about MVP expectations. It's possible that he's pushing himself as a player to see what he's capable of though. Which is a good thing.

apalisoc_9
03-04-2017, 01:47 PM
You need your superstar to have room for mistakes. If you force superstars to think too much of the number of shots they take, ot affects them negatively.

And this is going to be specially true when the playoffs come around and the confidence level of role players fluctuates significantly

apalisoc_9
03-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Seriously, spurs fans are so enormed with the 14 run that they have forgteen the very basics of NBA basketball.

The 14 team is an outlier and one that isnt sustainable. Having a superstar os a mpre sustainable formula.

boutons_deux
03-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Spurs O is definitely unbalanced

Probably that's all they can deliver this year

tenbeersbold
03-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Yeah he is taking a lot of bad shots for a Spur,and at the expense of Aldridge tbh.
When Leonard gasses during the PO's we better hope LMA gets into a rhythm

BatManu20
03-04-2017, 02:07 PM
I know Tony is old and worn down, but why has his midrange jumper suddenly disappeared? It's so bad that he's almost afraid to shoot it now. Teams are playing off of him a bit and giving him that shot, and he still won't shoot it very often. And when he does, he usually misses it. Drives me crazy.

lefty
03-04-2017, 02:08 PM
Still a better PG than Porker.

FkLA
03-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Mostly idiots who can't analyze worth a shit ITT.

He does force things and takes matters into his own hands plenty of times. That's what Top 3 players in the world do and it's saved the Spurs from dropping plenty of games when the offense bogs down. He's efficient from basically every spot on the floor. Basically having a 50/40/90 season. He's also playing amazing defense and playmaking for others. STFU.

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-04-2017, 02:29 PM
As he should be doing. He's currently one of the top 5 players in the entire goddamn world and he has every right to lead the team and dictate when he shoots it.

FkLA
03-04-2017, 02:40 PM
I know Tony is old and worn down, but why has his midrange jumper suddenly disappeared? It's so bad that he's almost afraid to shoot it now. Teams are playing off of him a bit and giving him that shot, and he still won't shoot it very often. And when he does, he usually misses it. Drives me crazy.

What else is their to point to but piss poor work ethic? For a speed-reliant guy that has openly said he wants to play until he's 40 (lol) and who has Engelland at his disposal there's no excuse for not having developed a consistent outside shot after 15 years. There's plenty of success stories out there like Kidd or Kawhi if you put in the work.

cd98
03-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Eventually guys need to play better bc come playoff time, every team will zero in on Kawhi and others will need to step up.

Mikeanaro
03-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Is his team now niggie, whats wrong with that?

HarlemHeat37
03-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Nothing wrong with the shot balance, tbh..

If Aldridge actually plays like a #2 option and Green starts making 3s like he did earlier in the season, this wouldn't be an issue..

Solid D
03-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Kawhi has the best shooting percentage of all the Spurs' perimeter players (49%). He's also the best FT shooter on the entire team (89.2%). Why not give him the ball and let him try to score? Besides, he's 2nd on the team in assists.

duncan2k5
03-04-2017, 04:22 PM
No he isnt

spurraider21
03-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Lately, everytime somebody, other than Kobe, tries to do something on offense, they fuck up. Kobe has been shooting that much out of necessity, tbh.sounds familiar imo

TD 21
03-04-2017, 06:13 PM
Seriously, spurs fans are so enormed with the 14 run that they have forgteen the very basics of NBA basketball.

The 14 team is an outlier and one that isnt sustainable. Having a superstar os a mpre sustainable formula.

True, but most of them are at least decent at making plays for others. Not only is he DeRozan like in this regard, but his shot selection getting worse lately, is a sign that he's losing trust in his teammates and thinks he has to do virtually everything offensively for them to win. While that may have been true in many a game, it's not going to give them their best chance to reach their full potential.

Only 2 things can probably change that: Aldridge getting back to 2nd half of last season's version and Parker getting back to full health/rhythm (even though that never lasts long anymore).

GB20
03-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Nothing wrong with the shot balance, tbh..

If Aldridge actually plays like a #2 option and Green starts making 3s like he did earlier in the season, this wouldn't be an issue..

Arcadian
03-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Are we winning games?

Okay then.

bic50
03-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Yeah he is taking a lot of bad shots for a Spur,and at the expense of Aldridge tbh.
When Leonard gasses during the PO's we better hope LMA gets into a rhythm
Not really

rudwick
03-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Pink and/or ban OP, tbh.

Coming from such a dumbass, I'll take that as a compliment.

spurraider21
03-04-2017, 10:17 PM
spurfan needs to be careful... dont treat kawhi like kobestans treated kobe

FkLA
03-04-2017, 10:19 PM
spurfan needs to be careful... dont treat kawhi like kobestans treated kobe

Get back to me when Kawhi becomes inefficient and the Spurs miss the playoffs with him at the helm. Until then your comparison is shit.

rudwick
03-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Some of you geniuses may want Kawhi to turn into another Carmelo or Kobe. I don't. Those guys are losers.

FkLA
03-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Coming from such a dumbass, I'll take that as a compliment.

Says the guy with shitty ass takes.

FkLA
03-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Some of you geniuses may want Kawhi to turn into another Carmelo or Kobe. I don't. Those guys are losers.

Smh what an imbecile.

spurraider21
03-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Get back to me when Kawhi becomes inefficient and the Spurs miss the playoffs with him at the helm. Until then your comparison is shit.i'm not comparing them as players here. comparing the kiddie gloves the fanboys treat him with

midnightpulp
03-04-2017, 10:39 PM
I think Kawhi is trying to live up to MVP expectations or his own expectations by forcing things on the offense. He is always a good option but sometimes others would be better and I think the team is suffering a little because of it. We've struggled to beat some mediocre teams and I think the reason is the ball sticking too much so that some players can get their 30 or 20 points instead of working for the best shot for the team.

He has to. Just look how that exceptional backcourt of ours is playing tonight.

This is the problem with the Spurs being built around a frontline-centric offense. Bigs are easy to double, so it's not like Kawhi can just defer to LMA or Gasol for stretches. They'll get doubled and the ball will get passed back out to a perimeter player, namely Kawhi, since D-League, Parker, House, et al are shit scorers.

Play Boban
03-04-2017, 10:52 PM
Porker is 0-4 from the free throw line. :lol

GSH
03-05-2017, 12:07 AM
Yeah, Kawhi is shooting too much. He should just shoot the ones he's going to make, and not shoot the ones he's going to miss. :rolleyes

rasuo214
03-05-2017, 12:12 AM
The Spurs are now 12-3 when Kawhi takes 20 or more shots.

cd021
03-05-2017, 12:31 AM
Leonard-22 Games with 30 points or more this season

Spurs 18-4, (0.818) in those games
:claw=:lobt2:

100%duncan
03-05-2017, 12:40 AM
The Spurs are now 12-3 when Kawhi takes 20 or more shots.

Leonard-22 Games with 30 points or more this season

Spurs 18-4, (0.818) in those games
:claw=:lobt2:

Bbbbbut you're retards who just wants kawhi to herobawwl!

FkLA
03-05-2017, 12:41 AM
i'm not comparing them as players here. comparing the kiddie gloves the fanboys treat him with

That's stupid. Obviously the criticism with Kobestans was that they would defend Kirby to the death despite increasing amounts of evidence showing his play was inefficient and cancerous. If Kirby was efficient and played winning basketball his fans would've had every right to defend him.

sananspursfan21
03-05-2017, 12:57 AM
Shut up. Seriously. Shut your cyber mouth right now.

Gagnrath
03-05-2017, 01:10 AM

Melo sure.... Kobe is a rapist and an asshole and otherwise horrid person but he isn't a loser

DAF86
03-05-2017, 03:14 PM
sounds familiar imo

Except for the fact that Kawhi only takes like 17 shots per game and is a 50/40/90 shooter. Aside from that, spot on comparison bro. :tu

MultiTroll
03-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Just because Kawhi has mostly excellent shot selection, don't kid yourselves he still has too many Kobme possessions.
Due to the offense at times being clueless as ordered by Pop. The most versatile point guard wasting on the bench.
"Throw it to Kawhi and stand around" = "4 Down" when on too many occasions Pop ordered the ball to be thrown to Duncan (very good) but the others were supposed to stand around (bad, losing, "4 Dumb").

dabom
03-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Just because Kawhi has mostly excellent shot selection, don't kid yourselves he still has too many Kobme possessions.
Due to the offense at times being clueless as ordered by Pop. The most versatile point guard wasting on the bench.
"Throw it to Kawhi and stand around" = "4 Down" when on too many occasions Pop ordered the ball to be thrown to Duncan (very good) but the others were supposed to stand around (bad, losing, "4 Dumb").

"What?"- Manu :lmao

itzsoweezee
03-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Hey OP, never post again. You obviously don't watch basketball, so why comment?

Spur|n|Austin
03-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Are you mental?

spurraider21
03-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Except for the fact that Kawhi only takes like 17 shots per game and is a 50/40/90 shooter. Aside from that, spot on comparison bro. :tui'm comparing the rhetoric from fans, not the players

DAF86
03-05-2017, 04:52 PM
i'm comparing the rhetoric from fans, not the players

Comparing the rhetoric from fans without contemplating the players they are referring to is idiotic. You look like DMC claiming we were hypocrites by saying it was ok for Curry to be taking all those shots, while saying Kobe should shot less, tbh.

spurraider21
03-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Comparing the rhetoric from fans without contemplating the players they are referring to is idiotic. You look like DMC (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=20665) claiming we were hypocrites by saying it was ok for Curry to be taking all those shots, while saying Kobe should shot less, tbh.curry taking three pointers is better than kobe taking three pointers. that's math. i dont defend curry taking dumb heat-check threes as often as he does

but defending player X for taking bad shots because his teammates suck is kobestan talk. a bad shot is a bad shot.

DAF86
03-05-2017, 05:39 PM
curry taking three pointers is better than kobe taking three pointers. that's math. i dont defend curry taking dumb heat-check threes as often as he does

but defending player X for taking bad shots because his teammates suck is kobestan talk. a bad shot is a bad shot.

When did I defend Kawhi for taking bad shots?

rudwick
03-06-2017, 12:09 AM
Hey OP, never post again. You obviously don't watch basketball, so why comment?

To try to educate clueless folks like you.

8FOR!3
03-06-2017, 03:31 AM
If an average night of shooting is like 50%, a good night is better and a bad night is around 40% then it doesn't bother me. It seems if nothing is falling he effects the game in other ways.

DenialTwist
03-06-2017, 05:49 AM
Yes, because it's better to see LMA brick some more contested long fadeaway shots on one leg.

NameLess Scrub
03-06-2017, 07:06 AM
curry taking three pointers is better than kobe taking three pointers. that's math. i dont defend curry taking dumb heat-check threes as often as he does

Similar to Lebron's 2015 finals.

Obviously there's merit to both sides, and I'm not saying Kawhi is just selfish. He's awesome and fun to watch; but he has been taking some bad shots (specially looking tired on the 2nd night of a back to back), and they're aren't winning anything without a more balanced offense, except Lebron's 2015 media FMVP.

MultiTroll
03-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Not buying the thought that we just can't play The Beautiful Game like 2014 cause we have different personnel.
Can we be as good as 2014? Well probably not since that was one of the GOAT.

But we have all kinds of players that can pass and shoot.
This nonsense that we occasionally (but especially in crunch time of close game) have to throw it to Kwa and stand around -losing strategy.
Will get exposed again in playoffs if Chief Cementhead insists we try it again.

Imitate the 2014 TEAM game and see how far it goes.

bic50
03-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Similar to Lebron's 2015 finals.

Obviously there's merit to both sides, and I'm not saying Kawhi is just selfish. He's awesome and fun to watch; but he has been taking some bad shots (specially looking tired on the 2nd night of a back to back), and they're aren't winning anything without a more balanced offense, except Lebron's 2015 media FMVP.
He played 40mins in both games.

bic50
03-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Not buying the thought that we just can't play The Beautiful Game like 2014 cause we have different personnel.
Can we be as good as 2014? Well probably not since that was one of the GOAT.

But we have all kinds of players that can pass and shoot.
This nonsense that we occasionally (but especially in crunch time of close game) have to throw it to Kwa and stand around -losing strategy.
Will get exposed again in playoffs if Chief Cementhead insists we try it again.

I don't think they can just try imitate that team. Especially more then halfway through the season.

MultiTroll
03-06-2017, 08:18 AM
I don't think they can just try imitate that team. Especially more then halfway through the season.
Why not?
Already seen stretches of it this season.

Spurious
03-06-2017, 08:46 AM
If not for Kawhi, in each of the past two games we'd have been not just beaten but blown out by a couple bottom-feeding wannabes.

I'm sure everyone on the team, this board and in the stands is aware the rest of our squad is at best about a 7 seed. I'm personally not sure we even make the playoffs without KL. Seriously, who would be making shots? Lee and Dedmon have been our next two best players lately, but they're not dropping 30.

GSH
03-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Totally agree with that.

Tony Parker can imitate the Tony Parker that averaged 17 PPG in the playoffs.
Danny Green can imitate the Danny Green that shot .475 from 3P in the playoffs.
Kyle Anderson can imitate the Boris Diaw that led the team in AST's in the Finals.
Manu can imitate a younger Manu who still has his wheels.
It'll be perfect.

Just curious, though. Who's going to imitate Tim Duncan?

MultiTroll
03-06-2017, 10:33 AM
If not for Kawhi, in each of the past two games we'd have been not just beaten but blown out by a couple bottom-feeding wannabes.

I'm sure everyone on the team, this board and in the stands is aware the rest of our squad is at best about a 7 seed. I'm personally not sure we even make the playoffs without KL. Seriously, who would be making shots? Lee and Dedmon have been our next two best players lately, but they're not dropping 30.
No chit.
And he had two great assists vs New Orleans.
Completely set up the shooters.
One was a Patty trey and I can't remember the other one, but they were both clutch and pivotal.

MultiTroll
03-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Totally agree with that.

Kyle Anderson can imitate the Boris Diaw that led the team in AST's in the Finals.
It'll be perfect.

You can go ahead be a Negative Nancy on this team having ball movement vs Stand n Veg.

Plenty of stretches this season where ball movement has worked.
A lot of the same players do better in ball movement.

rudwick
03-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Melo sure.... Kobe is a rapist and an asshole and otherwise horrid person but he isn't a loser

You're right, Kobe was not as bad as Carmelo, but we and others won countless games against the Lakers because Kobe shot them out of the game. He would go something like 6/25 for the game or get 20 points on 33 shots and there is no way to overcome that. His ego lost them a lot of games.

GSH
03-06-2017, 10:49 AM
You can go ahead be a Negative Nancy on this team having ball movement vs Stand n Veg.

Plenty of stretches this season where ball movement has worked.
A lot of the same players do better in ball movement.

Why are you getting so angry? I said that I like your plan.

MultiTroll
03-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Why are you getting so angry? I said that I like your plan.
:lol backpedaling for some morning exercise?

coachmac87
03-06-2017, 11:00 AM
I sometimes seriously wonder what this forum would want more..Kawhi MVP? Or LMA FMVP? Serious question tbh

MultiTroll
03-06-2017, 11:03 AM
I sometimes seriously wonder what this forum would want more..Kawhi MVP? Or LMA FMVP? Serious question tbh
You mean Kwa with MVP but no Finals win? Hell no.
vs
LMA FMVP with Finals win? Yes. Every season for the next 6 years. To infinity and beyond.

coachmac87
03-06-2017, 11:14 AM
You mean Kwa with MVP but no Finals win? Hell no.
vs
LMA FMVP with Finals win? Yes. Every season for the next 6 years. To infinity and beyond.

I mean NO MVP for Kawhi. No FMVP for Kawhi

Spurs win Finals but LMA gets FMVP..

Moral of story? Some but not most people on this board care about the name on the back of jersey and not the front..#PlayerFan

NameLess Scrub
03-06-2017, 12:11 PM
I mean NO MVP for Kawhi. No FMVP for Kawhi

Spurs win Finals but LMA gets FMVP..

Moral of story? Some but not most people on this board care about the name on the back of jersey and not the front..#PlayerFan

Not me. I only care about a Kawhi MVP as long as it helps the team with the LOB.

He played 40mins in both games.

Exactly :lol

bic50
03-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Obviously the ultimate goal is a championship weather Kawhi gets MVP or not. Pop is no different then any other coach who has a superstar player. He's going to ride that player as far as they can take the team. He did the same with prime TD and Parker and now is doing it with Kawhi which could lead Kawhi possibly winning MVP. This wasn't an issue back when TD was in the same position.

GSH
03-06-2017, 01:06 PM
:lol backpedaling for some morning exercise?

LOL. You thought that was backpedaling? Then I understand how you might think this team could imitate the 2014 team.

Good discussion. Really.

Gagnrath
03-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Totally agree with that.

It'll be perfect.

Why not have Aldridge give it a shot by putting up a double double every game of the playoffs and being a quiet leader....

MultiTroll
03-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Why not have Aldridge give it a shot by putting up a double double every game of the playoffs and being a quiet leader....
Ironically it was in the New Orleans game that Boogie was getting testy per usual. That got LMA testy and his own effort increased.
If we could get LMA to put forth max effort every playoff game. :rolleyes

FkLA
03-06-2017, 05:56 PM
You're right, Kobe was not as bad as Carmelo, but we and others won countless games against the Lakers because Kobe shot them out of the game. He would go something like 6/25 for the game or get 20 points on 33 shots and there is no way to overcome that. His ego lost them a lot of games.

Yeah, and when Kawhi starts doing that on the regular like Kirby did then your dumb thread will have a point. Right now you just come off as a huge idiot.

dabom
03-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Yeah, and when Kawhi starts doing that on the regular like Kirby did then your dumb thread will have a point. Right now you just come off as a huge idiot.

:lol

Spur|n|Austin
03-06-2017, 06:17 PM
To try to educate clueless folks like you.

Kawhi just won player of week, must be all that shooting :rolleyes

tonight...you
03-06-2017, 06:47 PM

You don't know how to type, do you?
How can I trust your basketball acumen, when you type like an imbecile and say stupid stuff, when legible?

lefty
03-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Better too much shooter than Porker...

100%duncan
03-07-2017, 02:51 AM
Retard :lol

Nathan89
03-07-2017, 03:11 AM
OP wants more inefficient shots for LMA:lol