PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in NBA life come fast for Udrih

Kori Ellis
10-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Lessons in NBA life come fast for Udrih
Web Posted: 10/12/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101205.01C.SPURS_udrih.12b2d826.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. — On the night before he flew home to Slovenia this summer, Beno Udrih stopped by Best Buy to purchase a few last-minute gifts for friends.

He arrived to find hundreds of people lined up outside the store. While they were waiting for an autograph session with Robert Horry, they soon spotted the Spurs' rookie.

Overwhelmed, Udrih phoned one of the team's media relations officials to rescue him.

"It was nice to sign some autographs," he said. "But it was crazy."

Udrih learned more than a little about the zealousness of the Spurs' fans, as well as the red-faced intensity of his coach, in his first NBA season. His goal is to put the experience he gained as a rookie to good use.

For one night, at least, he left his coach impressed. Matched against Gary Payton during Monday's exhibition in Miami, Udrih totaled six points, three steals and a pair of assists in just under six minutes.

"He played with some passion," coach Gregg Popovich said. "Like he wanted to show something or prove something."

Udrih will have to show more of the same if he wants to stay on the court for any length of time this season. Given the backup point guard job on the first day of camp a year ago, he now finds himself backing up the backup.

Udrih's rookie season was productive enough: He averaged 5.9 points and 1.9 assists in 14.4 minutes, made a team-best 40.8 percent of his 3-point attempts and played in the All-Star rookie game. In the first start of his career, he scored a season-high 25 points.

His season, however, didn't end as well as it started. Udrih's inability to weather Lindsey Hunter's full-court pressure helped spark Detroit's victories in Games 3 and 4 of the NBA Finals. His struggles were so evident one Pistons fan pleaded with Popovich to put the rookie on the floor in Game 5.

Popovich didn't. While the Spurs have never questioned Udrih's skill level — he might be the best passer on the team — they used the summer to find a veteran point guard to toughen him.

"He got a little spoiled last year, probably," Popovich said. "Now, he realizes he has a long way to go and he's going to have to fight every single season to be the best player he can be. There's always somebody else coming."

In August, somebody else arrived. By signing Nick Van Exel, the Spurs added not only a gutsy late-game shooter, but also a battle-tested tutor for both Udrih and Tony Parker.

"Just like guards used to learn from Avery (Johnson) around here, they're going to learn from Nick," Popovich said. "It's as simple as that. Beno will benefit in that regard.

"Secondly, it will make him serious in understanding that there are always other players out there who are pretty darn good, so you just have to keep your aggressiveness and keep improving your game."

Udrih said he wasn't disappointed when he heard the Spurs signed Van Exel.

"Nick was here 12 years in the league, so it's not bothering me," he said. "I think I can learn a lot from him. I'll just try to be ready, whatever minutes they want me to play."

Though the Spurs could eventually decide to trade Udrih — his potential and attractive rookie contract would sweeten a package involving Rasho Nesterovic — he figures to still get some playing time if he remains with the team. Popovich wants to make sure Van Exel, who has an arthritic left knee, is healthy for the playoffs. Limiting his minutes when the team plays on consecutive nights would help do that.

Popovich also paired Udrih with Parker on a few occasions last season. And Parker himself won't be immune from losing minutes to either Van Exel or Udrih.

Udrih said he knows this much: He feels good enough to play. The knee injury, which caused him to leave Slovenia's national team before the start of this summer's European Championship, hasn't troubled him in training camp.

Last season, Udrih played in 101 of the Spurs' 105 games — a contrast from his injury-checkered days in Europe.

"He got over that because we didn't allow it," Popovich said. "If he had any kind of bumps and bruises last year, we just ignored it because we knew they weren't serious."

Having spent much of last season becoming acclimated to the competitiveness and athleticism of the NBA, Udrih thinks he's better equipped now to maintain his own aggressiveness.

"When I step on the court, I feel much more comfortable then I did in the first season," he said. "I know the players a little bit more. I know our plays, offensive and defensive."

He knows what to expect. From his coach, as well as the fans.

timvp
10-12-2005, 12:36 AM
I guess timvp was right. The Spurs soured on Beno Udrih as the year went on. They questioned his passion and toughness. And they aren't against trading him eventually.

However, I liked what I saw in preseason game number one. He played hard and was competing. There's still a good chance that he gets traded to sweeten the Rasho package, but as long as he's here, he'll be a good option behind TP and Van X.

TDMVPDPOY
10-12-2005, 01:03 AM
^^the same could be said about parker in his rookie season with us when ur playin with a strong contender team like teh spurs there are high expectations even for rookies compared to other teams.

LiKE I said udrih is in teh same situation like parker, now all he needs is more confidence and PT he could be very exciting to watch. so i be expecting him to pull out a dunk sumtime this season just like parker last season. ONly thing missing from udrihs game is the fire to win.

T Park
10-12-2005, 01:19 AM
ONly thing missing from udrihs game is the fire to win.

and defense.

and quickness.

Hes another Dan Dickau.

If someone else wants him, and you can get something in return? Do it.

Makes it all the easier to resign MOhammed.

Slomo
10-12-2005, 01:58 AM
What does Beno's (rookie) contract have to do with resigning Nazr?

xcoriate
10-12-2005, 06:08 AM
nothing.

Solid D
10-12-2005, 06:47 AM
In the Heat exhibition game, the starters (less Nazr, plus Oberto) came out flat and lost their big lead with Antoine Walker leading the comeback on both ends.

Beno came in and changed everything. The Spurs got a decent lead again with his playmaking. I was very impressed.

Clandestino
10-12-2005, 09:56 AM
beno is a little puss.. just like rasho... i'm sure we could get something good for beno though. his style would fit in with other teams.. just not the spurs... rasho, we could trade him for a case union or lasko pivo and i'd be happy.

ShoogarBear
10-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I agree the biggest question about Beno is always going to be his toughness and attitude.

He has servicable skills and good court awareness. I don't think he'll ever be a starter for a good team, but he could have a very good career as a 20 MPG backup PG for contenders, which is a valuable commodity in the league.

Solid D
10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Beno was better than J-Will in this game.

angel_luv
10-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Lessons in NBA life come fast for Udrih
Web Posted: 10/12/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101205.01C.SPURS_udrih.12b2d826.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. — On the night before he flew home to Slovenia this summer, Beno Udrih stopped by Best Buy to purchase a few last-minute gifts for friends.

He arrived to find hundreds of people lined up outside the store. While they were waiting for an autograph session with Robert Horry, they soon spotted the Spurs' rookie.

Overwhelmed, Udrih phoned one of the team's media relations officials to rescue him.

"It was nice to sign some autographs," he said. "But it was crazy."

Hahahahaha! That was my Benji sighting this summer!!!!!!

I wondered why Beno Boy came to that location when there was a Spurs function. Rookie mistake. :lol Poor baby!

GoSpurs21
10-12-2005, 01:22 PM
"Just like guards used to learn from Avery (Johnson) around here, they're going to learn from Nick," Popovich said. "It's as simple as that. Beno will benefit in that regard.

Please tell me one Spurs guard that learned anything from Mr Overrrated AJ?
I think Pop is stretching the truth here. It should have been more like AJ learned from a proven winner Mario Elie.

Since NVE is not a proven winner (how many championships does this guy have?) the only thing I can see Parker and Beno learning from him is shooting and the willingness to shot in pressure situations. Since that's the only good thing NVE has even shown. While I agree its important, that's mainly Tim and Manu and Horry's job.

I would bet that if Beno is given similar playing time to last year he will improve his game to the point that NVE is merely insurance for the playoffs. What most jackasses in this forum fail to realize is that the Spurs dont play final four playoff teams on a nightly basis. So the need for NVE's so called experience is not needed most of the time.

I still think Pop needs to sit NVE for most of the season until after the all-star break. Otherwise NVE will be hampering a sore knee going into the playoffs.