PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Injured ankle forces Oberto to the bench

Kori Ellis
10-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Injured ankle forces Oberto to the bench
Web Posted: 10/12/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101205.04C.BKN_spurs_notebook.12a42ccb.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich expects Fabricio Oberto to be sidelined a week after spraining his left ankle Monday night against Miami. The injury makes it likely the team's new forward will miss at least the next three exhibition games.

Oberto was injured in the third quarter after being knocked to the court while guarding Heat center Shaquille O'Neal.

"I was in front of him and when I tried to turn around, he touched me with his body and I (lost) a little balance," Oberto said. "It was a very unfortunate move for me."

Oberto's ankle didn't swell too much overnight, but he was still in some pain. He didn't practice with the team Tuesday.

While the Spurs don't consider the injury serious, they probably will hold Oberto out tonight against Philadelphia, Thursday against Washington and possibly Saturday against Houston at the SBC Center.

Before Monday, Oberto's only experience in guarding O'Neal was limited to a five-minute stretch in the 1996 Olympics when Argentina played Team USA. His only comparable assignment came two years ago when he defended Lithuanian giant Arvydas Sabonis.

"And that was really tough, too," he said.

After a week of training camp, Oberto thought he was slowly beginning to find his rhythm.

"I know injuries go with playing," he said. "Hopefully, it's not so serious and soon I will be practicing again."

Something new: Michael Finley said the biggest difference between the Spurs' offensive system and that of his previous team, Dallas, is also the most obvious.

"We have an inside presence I've never had in my NBA career besides Charles Barkley in my rookie year," Finley said. "With Tim Duncan, everything around him changes with the type of attention he gets.

"That's going to be a major adjustment for me. Hopefully, it will be an advantage."

Something old: The Tim Duncan Historical Tour continues tonight when the Spurs play Philadelphia on the University of South Carolina campus.

Duncan's former coach at Wake Forest, Dave Odom, now coaches the Gamecocks.

Duncan will return to Wake Forest Thursday when the Spurs play Washington.

timvp
10-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Too bad about Oberto. Hopefully he gets back soon so he can win that starting spot.

:hat

Man In Black
10-12-2005, 12:59 AM
He said he was going to follow Manu's plan. I guess that includes the part where he goes through his 1st few weeks as a Spur with a problem ankle.

TDMVPDPOY
10-12-2005, 12:59 AM
the gamecocks?? so i assume there logo has a cock right??

ggoose25
10-12-2005, 01:55 AM
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/alf/10102_tn.jpg

Horry For 3!
10-12-2005, 03:44 AM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich expects Fabricio Oberto to be sidelined a week after spraining his left ankle Monday night against Miami. The injury makes it likely the team's new forward will miss at least the next three exhibition games.
Shit, I was close in my prediction, I thought he could play Saturday, i'm sure he could but might as well give him the week off to heal up as it is only the pre-season.

usckk
10-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Thank goodness! A week is no problem. He'll still have 4 or 5 more preseason games to get adjusted. Good job Horry for 3!